|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
2. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
3. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
4. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
5. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
2. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
3. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
4. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
5. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
6. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
7. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
8. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
9. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
10. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Brown? Why does Elijah mention her? What terrible loss did Mrs. Brown suffer? How does she deal with this loss? How does Elijah feel about this loss? Why does Elijah go to visit Mrs. Brown? How does Elijah compare Mrs. Brown to his own mother? What does this suggest about the community of Buxton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
This section contains 1,938 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)