|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
2. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
3. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
4. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
5. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
2. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
3. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
4. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
5. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
6. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
7. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
8. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)