|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
2. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
3. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
4. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
5. What things does Madame Sabbar shoot at in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
2. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
3. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
4. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
5. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
6. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
7. What is significant about Emma Collins?
8. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
9. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
10. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)