Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
2. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
3. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
4. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
5. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
2. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
3. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
4. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
5. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
6. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
7. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
10. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)