|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
2. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
3. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
4. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
5. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
2. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
4. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
5. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
6. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
7. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
8. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
9. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
10. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)