|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
2. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
4. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
5. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
2. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
3. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
4. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
5. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
6. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
7. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
8. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
9. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
10. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)