|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
5. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who refuses to help Elijah free the slaves at East Lee stable? Why?
2. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
3. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
4. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
5. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
6. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)