Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
5. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who refuses to help Elijah free the slaves at East Lee stable? Why?
2. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
3. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
4. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
5. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
6. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
Essay Topic 1
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)