|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
2. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
3. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
4. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
5. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
2. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
3. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
4. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
5. Who is Frederick Douglass?
6. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
7. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
8. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
9. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
10. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 2,006 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)