|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
2. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
3. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
4. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
5. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
2. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
3. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
4. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
5. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
6. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
7. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
8. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
9. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
10. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)