|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is John Brown?
2. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
3. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
4. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
5. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
2. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
4. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
5. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
6. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
7. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
8. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
9. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
10. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)