|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
2. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
3. Who is Mr. Segee?
4. What is the point of view of this novel?
5. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
2. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
4. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
5. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
6. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
7. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
8. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
9. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
10. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 3
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)