|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
2. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
3. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
4. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
5. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frederick Douglass?
2. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
4. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
5. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
6. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
7. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
8. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
9. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
10. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)