|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
2. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
3. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
4. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
5. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frederick Douglass?
2. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
3. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
4. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
5. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
6. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
7. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
8. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
9. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
10. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)