|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
2. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
3. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
4. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
5. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
2. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
3. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
4. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
5. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
6. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
7. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
8. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
9. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
10. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)