|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
2. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
3. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
4. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
5. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
2. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
3. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
4. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
5. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
6. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
7. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
8. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
9. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
10. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)