|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
2. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
4. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
5. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
2. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
3. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
4. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
5. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
6. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
7. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
8. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
9. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
10. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 3
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)