|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
2. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
3. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
4. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
2. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
4. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
5. Who is Frederick Douglass?
6. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
7. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
8. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
9. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
10. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)