|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
2. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
3. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
4. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
5. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
2. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
3. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
4. What story does Elijah tell to Chloe in chapter 24? Why?
5. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
6. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
7. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
8. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
9. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
10. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
Essay Topic 1
What is Buxton? Where is it? What is the nature of the community? How was it started? Why did the writer chose to set his novel in this community? What is the history of this area? How does the author use it to develop his plot? How does the author use history to develop his characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,931 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)