|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
2. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
4. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
5. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
2. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
3. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
4. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
5. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
6. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
7. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
8. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
9. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
10. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Holton? What sets her apart from the others in Buxton? Who works for Mrs. Holton? Why does he say he does not mind working for Mrs. Holton even though he is doing similar work to what he did as a slave? For what is Mrs. Holton saving her money? Why does she eventually give this money to someone else? How does this act show the compassion among the former slaves in contrast to the cruelty shown by white slave holders?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)