|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
2. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
3. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
4. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
5. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
2. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
3. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
4. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
5. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
6. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
7. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
8. Who is Frederick Douglass?
9. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
10. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and the preacher
2) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
3) Elijah and his parents.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)