|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
2. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
3. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
4. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
5. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
2. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
3. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
4. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
5. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
6. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
7. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
8. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
9. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
10. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Cooter? What kind of trouble does Cooter often find himself in? Why? Why does the schoolteacher dislike Cooter? Who is Cooter's best friend? What are some of the things they do together? How does this contrast with the childhoods these children's parents have had? Why do you think the author shows so much of these children's relatively carefree lives?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)