|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
3. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
4. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
5. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
2. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
3. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
4. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
5. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
6. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
7. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
8. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
9. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
10. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
Essay Topic 1
Why did Mr. Leroy want Elijah to go with him to recover his money? What purpose did Mr. Leroy need Elijah to serve for him? What happens when Mr. Leroy and Elijah arrive in the small village where the preacher gambled away all of Mr. Leroy's money? Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is at the end? How does Mr. Leroy die? How does Elijah react to Mr. Leroy's death?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,911 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)