|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
2. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
3. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
4. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
5. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
2. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
3. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
4. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
5. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
6. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
7. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
8. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
9. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
10. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elijah's parents. How long have they lived in Buxton? How old was Elijah's mother when she arrived in Buxton? Why did she go to Buxton? Why has she not seen her mother in a long time? Why do people come to Elijah's father to seek advice? What does this say about Elijah's parents? What kind of parents are these people? Have they raised Elijah well? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
How does Elijah catch up to the preacher? Where does he find him? What has happened to the preacher? How does Elijah react to this? What does Elijah think the figures near the wall are when he first sees them? What danger do these figures pose for Elijah? What might have happened to Elijah in the stable? What does happen? How does Elijah return to Buxton? What does this say about the overall moral of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)