|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
2. What things does Madame Sabbar shoot at in chapter 8?
3. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
4. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
5. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
2. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
3. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
4. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
5. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
6. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
7. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
8. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
9. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
10. Who is Frederick Douglass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are slavers, or slave chasers? Why do two of these people come toward Buxton? What happens to them? What does the community think happened to them? How do they feel about this? What danger do slavers pose for the people of Buxton? Is it possible for the people of Buxton to be forced back into slavery? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)