|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
2. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
3. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
4. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
5. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
2. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
3. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
4. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
5. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
6. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
7. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
8. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
9. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
10. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Mr. Leroy hit Elijah for nearly calling him a derogatory name? Why does Mr. Leroy show Elijah his scars? What are the stories behind these scars? Why do they have meaning to Mr. Leroy? What meaning do they have? What lesson does Mr. Leroy teach Elijah in this incidence? Does Elijah learn it well? Why is it important for Elijah to learn such a lesson?
Essay Topic 2
Why do many of the parents in Buxton not know how to read or write? What do they plan to do about it? Why do the children of Buxton attend school? What is significant about this accomplishment for these children? Does their education have special meaning for their parents? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)