|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
3. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
4. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
5. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
2. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
3. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
4. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
5. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
6. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
7. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
8. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
9. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
10. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the preacher? Why does Elijah not trust him? What does the preacher think is a Jesus given gift in Elijah? Why does the preacher talk Elijah into sneaking out of his house to go to the carnival? Why does the preacher want to sell Elijah to the owner of the carnival? Why does the preacher later volunteer to arrange the purchase of Mr. Leroy's family? What does he really do? Why does Elijah go after the preacher to recover Mr. Leroy's money? Does he?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the preacher to the white slave holder who informs Mrs. Holton of her husband's death. In this comparison list the cruelties each has committed and how they compare to one another, how they impact the people of Buxton and others, and the ways in which they are different. Discuss as well reasons why the author might have felt the need to offers these two representations of such cruelties.
Essay Topic 3
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)