|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
2. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
3. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
4. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
5. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
2. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
3. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
4. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
5. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
6. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
7. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
8. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
9. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
10. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay, using quotes to support your conclusions:
1) Elijah and Mr. Leroy
2) Mr. Leroy and Mrs. Holton
3) Mrs. Holton and Elijah's mother.
Essay Topic 2
How does Mrs. Holton's husband die? How does she get the news? What is unusual about the way in which Mrs. Holton learns the news? What is the messenger requesting from Mrs. Holton? What does this say about Mrs. Holton's former life? What does it say about the life her husband was living? How does this episode illustrate the importance of Buxton and places like it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Point of view
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)