Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
5. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who refuses to help Elijah free the slaves at East Lee stable? Why?
2. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
3. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
4. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
5. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
6. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Elijah? What is the special distinction about his birth? Where does Elijah live? Why is he afraid of being thought of as fragile? Why does Elijah often cry in difficult situations? How does this make Elijah feel about himself? What did Elijah do as an infant that makes him feel as though he will always have it hanging over his head? Why is Elijah afraid of snakes? What does Elijah's mother do to help him get over this fear? How does Elijah feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the novel in an essay. Research the time period and discuss why the settlement was formed in Canada, the dangers the fugitives had in reaching the settlement, and some of the realities of slavery the citizens of Buxton were able to escape once they reached Buxton. Use quotes from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Chloe? Where does Elijah meet her? Why can Elijah do nothing to help her? Why do the people in the little village not do anything to help Elijah save the people with Chloe? Why does Chloe give Elijah her baby and tell him how much she loves him? Why does Elijah decide to take the baby? What does he plan to do with the baby? What is the significance of the baby's name? What does this say about the overall moral of the book?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)