|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) The preacher.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Jarvey.
2. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(b) News of a loved one's death.
(c) News of friends left behind.
(d) A threat to return to slavery.
3. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A square.
(b) A heart.
(c) A circle.
(d) A moon.
4. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Buy a new horse.
(b) Return to America.
(c) Move to Toronto.
(d) Buy his wife and children.
5. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stop trusting people.
(b) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(c) Stand up and face a situation.
(d) Stand up and face his punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
2. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
3. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
4. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
5. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
2. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
3. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
4. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
8. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
9. What is significant about Emma Collins?
10. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)