|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A shotgun.
2. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(b) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(c) It bores him.
(d) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
3. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) Reverend King.
(b) Elijah's father.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Taylor.
4. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A haint.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A monster.
5. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(b) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
(c) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(d) It is lame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
2. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
3. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
4. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
5. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
2. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
3. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
4. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
5. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
6. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
9. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
10. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)