|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With a deep yell.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With the pistol.
(d) With rocks.
2. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(b) He needs to go to a party.
(c) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(d) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
3. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(b) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
(c) That he will return home safely.
(d) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
4. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(b) Abolitionists and the slavers.
(c) Master and slave.
(d) Cowboys and indians.
5. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Six days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
2. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
3. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
4. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
5. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)