|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(b) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
(c) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(d) It is lame.
2. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(b) Master and slave.
(c) Cowboys and indians.
(d) Abolitionists and the slavers.
3. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
(a) She might have refused to let them take her.
(b) She might have insisted on going herself.
(c) She might have run off with her.
(d) She might have caused a rebellion amond the slaves.
4. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The dry goods store.
(d) The mayor's house.
5. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(b) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
(c) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(d) He needs to go to a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
2. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
3. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
4. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
5. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Emma Collins?
2. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
3. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
4. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
5. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
6. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
7. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
8. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
9. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
10. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)