|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A gate for her front yard.
(b) A sign honoring her husband.
(c) A sign for her bakery.
(d) A pillar for her house.
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
(b) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(c) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
(d) He wants to run around with his friends.
3. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Mr. Highgate.
(b) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Jarvey.
4. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Mr. Polite.
(d) Mr. Segee.
5. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) The Freemans.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) Mr. Brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
2. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
3. Who is Benji Alston?
4. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
5. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
2. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
3. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
4. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
5. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
6. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
7. What is significant about Emma Collins?
8. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
9. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
10. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)