|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) They might need his help.
(c) They might need someone to read something for them.
(d) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
2. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
3. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Freeman.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Polite.
4. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
(a) A glass of juice.
(b) Two glasses of milk.
5. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
(b) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(c) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(d) It is lame.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
3. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
4. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
5. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
2. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
3. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
4. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
5. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
6. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
7. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
8. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
9. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
10. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)