|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(a) Police officers.
(c) The preacher.
2. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
3. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(d) Elijah's dad.
4. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) The grownups.
(b) A mule.
(d) The wall.
5. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(a) Hit Elijah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
2. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
3. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
4. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
5. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
2. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
3. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
4. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
5. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
6. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
7. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
8. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
9. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
10. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)