|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will return home safely.
(b) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(c) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
(d) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
2. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(b) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(c) He explains what will happen to them next.
(d) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
3. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(b) Elijah's dad.
4. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
(a) He does not like him.
(b) He is more interested in the refugee girl.
(c) He has nothing in common with him.
(d) He does not want to embarass him.
5. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
2. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
3. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
4. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
5. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
2. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
3. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
4. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
7. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
8. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
9. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
10. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)