|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
2. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
(a) To hear good gossip.
(b) To be with his friends.
(c) To avoid falling off.
(d) To be far from the plow horse.
3. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
4. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stop trusting people.
(b) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(c) Stand up and face his punishment.
(d) Stand up and face a situation.
5. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The mayor's house.
(b) The church.
(c) The dry goods store.
(d) The schoolhouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
2. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
3. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
4. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
5. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
2. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
3. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
4. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
9. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
10. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)