|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Freeman.
2. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Elijah's father.
(c) Mr. Taylor.
(d) Reverend King.
3. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(b) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
(c) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
(d) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
4. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) A leaf.
(b) His hanky.
(c) His shirtsleeve.
(d) His shirttail.
5. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
2. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
3. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
4. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
5. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
2. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
3. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
4. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
5. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
9. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
10. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)