|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(c) They might need his help.
(d) They might need someone to read something for them.
2. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(b) Master and slave.
(c) Cowboys and indians.
(d) Abolitionists and the slavers.
3. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
4. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
(a) To be with his friends.
(b) To be far from the plow horse.
(c) To hear good gossip.
(d) To avoid falling off.
5. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
(a) Two glasses of milk.
(d) A glass of juice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
3. Who is Benji Alston?
4. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
5. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
2. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
3. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
4. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
7. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
8. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
9. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
10. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)