|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
2. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(b) To bring them some water.
(c) To help with the work.
(d) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
3. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Master and slave.
(b) Abolitionists and the slavers.
(d) Cowboys and indians.
4. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A dime.
(d) A dollar.
5. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
2. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
3. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
4. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
2. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
3. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
4. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
5. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
6. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
7. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
8. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
9. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
10. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)