|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He told him to trust the preacher.
(b) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
(c) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(d) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
2. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(b) They might need someone to read something for them.
(c) He wants to hear the gossip.
(d) They might need his help.
3. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) Making the decision.
(b) Deciding where to go.
(c) The last.
(d) The first.
4. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That he trusts the preacher.
(d) That it is his only option.
5. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A dime.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A nickel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
2. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
3. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
4. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
5. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)