|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) They might need someone to read something for them.
(c) They might need his help.
(d) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
2. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(c) One hundred.
3. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Travis.
(c) Mr. Polite.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
4. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A moon.
(b) A circle.
(c) A square.
(d) A heart.
5. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
2. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
3. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
4. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
2. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
3. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
4. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
5. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
6. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
9. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
10. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)