|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(b) To visit his friend.
(c) To buy groceries for his mother.
(d) To check on the mail.
2. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Travis.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
3. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(b) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(c) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(d) He explains what will happen to them next.
4. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
(b) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
(c) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(d) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
5. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He did not eat his dinner.
(b) He stole some cookies.
(c) He talked back to his mother.
(d) He has been acting up in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
2. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
3. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
4. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
5. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
2. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
3. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
4. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
5. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
6. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
7. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
8. What is significant about Emma Collins?
9. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
10. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)