|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(c) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
(d) A doctor.
2. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's his friend.
(b) He's not a gossip.
(c) He's grown.
(d) He's smart.
3. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) The preacher.
4. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
5. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Their food.
(d) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
2. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
3. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
4. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
5. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
2. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
3. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
4. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
5. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
6. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
9. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
10. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)