|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Holton's.
(b) The garden.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) The church.
2. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stand up and face his punishment.
(b) Stop trusting people.
(c) Stand up and face a situation.
(d) Stop assuming the worst of people.
3. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Freeman.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
4. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To buy groceries for his mother.
(b) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(c) To visit his friend.
(d) To check on the mail.
5. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He could read their bluffs well.
(c) He cheated.
(d) He had good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
2. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
3. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
4. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
5. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
2. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
3. What happened to Mr. Highgate? For what reason? How did he get back to Buxton?
4. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
5. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. What is significant about Emma Collins?
8. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
9. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
10. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)