|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(b) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(c) To help with the work.
(d) To bring them some water.
2. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A monster.
(b) A conjurer.
(c) A haint.
(d) A celebrity.
3. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(b) To visit his friend.
(c) To check on the mail.
(d) To buy groceries for his mother.
4. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Mowing the grass.
(b) Uprooting stumps.
(c) Cutting logs.
(d) Building a new shed.
5. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) The wall.
(b) A mule.
(d) The grownups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
2. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
3. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
4. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
2. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
3. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
4. What is significant about Emma Collins?
5. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
6. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
7. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
8. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
9. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
10. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)