|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(b) Mrs. Highgate.
(d) His mother.
2. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's his friend.
(b) He's grown.
(c) He's smart.
(d) He's not a gossip.
3. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(a) Police officers.
(b) The preacher.
4. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
(b) Two glasses of milk.
(c) A glass of juice.
5. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Buy a new horse.
(b) Buy his wife and children.
(c) Move to Toronto.
(d) Return to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
2. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
3. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
4. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
5. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
2. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
3. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
4. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
5. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
6. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
7. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
8. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
9. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
10. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)