|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Threw it in the trash.
(b) Threw it in the river.
(c) Gave it to the ferry man.
(d) Gave it to a barmaid.
2. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mrs. Holton.
(c) Mr. Segee.
(d) The preacher.
3. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he trusts the preacher.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(d) That it is his only option.
4. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
(a) The colored inhabitants of Pittsburgh.
(b) The original fifteen inhabitants of Buxton.
(c) The governor of Ontario.
(d) The town of Chatham.
5. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
(a) He does not like him.
(b) He has nothing in common with him.
(c) He is more interested in the refugee girl.
(d) He does not want to embarass him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
2. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
3. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
5. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
2. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
3. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
4. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
5. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
6. What is significant about Emma Collins?
7. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
8. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
9. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
10. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)