|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That it is his only option.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That he trusts the preacher.
(d) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
2. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
3. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(a) His parents.
(b) Mrs. Bixby.
4. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) His son, Ezekial.
(c) His wife.
(d) The preacher.
5. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
(a) They are gentler animals.
(b) They are not as bumpy.
(c) They are smarter.
(d) They are slower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
2. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
3. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
4. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
5. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
2. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
3. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
4. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
5. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
6. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
7. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
8. Why does Elijah's father not trust the preacher to take Mr. Leroy's money and arrange for the purchase of his family?
9. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
10. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)