|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Two days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Three days.
2. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(a) One hundred.
3. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The garden.
(b) Mrs. Holton's.
(c) The church.
(d) The sawmill.
4. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A square.
(b) A heart.
(c) A moon.
(d) A circle.
5. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
2. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
3. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
4. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
5. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
2. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
3. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
4. What is a haint? What does Elijah see in chapter 21 that he believes is a haint?
5. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
6. What is significant about Emma Collins?
7. What is among the supplies Elijah collects in chapter 19 for his trip to Michigan to help Mr. Leroy recover his money?
8. Who reads the letter to Mrs. Holton in chapter 13? For what reason?
9. To where did Elijah's mother travel with her white master as a child when she was a slave?
10. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)