|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(c) Stamp his feet.
(d) Wave his arms around.
2. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(b) Showing his own intelligence.
(c) Degrading their intelligence.
(d) Keeping the hate alive.
3. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
(b) Selling souvenirs.
(c) Cooking in the mess tent.
(d) Caring for the animals.
4. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) A trickster.
(b) A con man.
(c) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(d) A jackleg man of the Lord.
5. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A cross.
(b) A letter T.
(c) A ranch's brand.
(d) A letter S.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
2. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
4. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
5. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
2. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
3. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
4. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
5. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
6. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
7. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
8. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)