|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
2. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A passage from the Bible.
(b) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(c) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
(d) A letter his mother sent him.
3. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
(d) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
4. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
(a) The dining room.
(b) At a group meeting place near the schoolyard.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) In the yard outside.
5. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) His eyes are a strange color.
(b) He has three sets of eyes.
(c) He has two sets of eyes.
(d) His eyes seem to see nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
2. Who is John Brown?
3. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
4. Which type of animal does Elijah claim he prefers to ride in chapter 3?
5. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
2. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
3. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
4. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
5. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
6. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
9. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
10. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)