|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
2. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A rabid bear.
(b) A hoop snake.
(c) A snipe bird.
(d) A wild injun dog.
3. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Mr. Taylor.
(b) Mrs. Holton.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Elijah's father.
4. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
(a) He found it in the woods.
(b) He inherited from a dead brother.
(c) He bought it in Detroit.
(d) He took it as a tithe payment from a devoted Christian.
5. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
3. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
4. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
5. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
3. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
4. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
5. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
6. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
7. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
8. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
9. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
10. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)