|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
2. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
3. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
(a) The stable.
(b) Lying on the beach.
(c) The blackberry bushes.
(d) The water.
4. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) A con man.
(b) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(c) A jackleg man of the Lord.
(d) A trickster.
5. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A hoop snake.
(b) A rabid bear.
(c) A snipe bird.
(d) A wild injun dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
2. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
3. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
4. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
5. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
2. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
3. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
4. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
5. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
6. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
7. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
8. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
9. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
10. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)