|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(a) Madame Sabbar.
(d) The owner.
2. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
3. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
(a) He moved around the room excitedly as he spoke.
(b) He allowed the students to come into the classroom early to prepare.
(c) He told them about it half a dozen times before that day.
(d) He underlined it three times.
4. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Wave his arms around.
(b) Stamp his feet.
5. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
2. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
3. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
4. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
5. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
2. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
3. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
4. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
5. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
6. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
7. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
8. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
9. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
10. Who is Frederick Douglass?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)