|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping his family.
(b) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
(c) Helping the settlement.
(d) Helping the preacher's church.
2. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
3. Who is Mr. Segee?
(a) Eliajah's father.
(b) The stable owner.
(c) The dry goods store owner.
(d) Elijah's teacher.
4. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
(a) New York.
5. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
(a) Spanish and Greek.
(b) French and Greek.
(c) Spanish and Latin.
(d) Greek and Latin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
2. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
3. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
4. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
5. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
2. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
3. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
4. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
5. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
6. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
7. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
8. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
9. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
10. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)