|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A passage from the Bible.
(b) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
(c) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(d) A letter his mother sent him.
2. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
(a) He dislikes studying math in Latin.
(b) He dislikes studying the Bible.
(c) He cannot fool him into thinking he is sensical.
(d) He cannot play pranks on Mr. Travis.
3. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) Mr. Taylor.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Elijah's father.
4. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mrs. Highgate.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Miss Duncan.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
5. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
2. What is the point of view of this novel?
3. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
4. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
5. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
2. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
3. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
4. Who is Frederick Douglass?
5. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
6. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
7. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
8. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
9. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
10. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)