|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
(a) The water.
(b) Lying on the beach.
(c) The blackberry bushes.
(d) The stable.
2. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not want to see Elijah again.
(b) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(c) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
(d) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
3. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(d) Pictures of lions.
4. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Miss Duncan.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Highgate.
5. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a fresh pie.
(b) To trade for a new magazine.
(c) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(d) To trade for a new book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
2. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
3. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
4. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
5. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frederick Douglass?
2. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
3. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
4. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
5. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
6. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
7. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
8. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
9. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
10. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)