|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A white horse.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A bloody man.
(d) A grey mule.
2. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) There are too many grownups.
(b) There are strange kids hanging around.
(c) The grownups seem excited about something.
(d) There is no one else there.
3. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
(b) The conjure man.
(d) The mesmerist.
4. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Oddities.
(b) Carnival of Exotics.
(c) Carnival of Games.
(d) Carnival of Fascination.
5. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
2. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
3. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
4. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
5. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
2. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
3. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
4. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
5. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
6. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
7. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
8. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
9. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
10. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)