|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(d) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was married to an Indian.
(b) She died in infancy.
(c) She was beaten to death.
(d) She was sold.
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The community eating pavilion.
(d) The sawmill.
5. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Old Flapjack.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) The preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
2. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
3. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
4. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
5. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who refuses to help Elijah free the slaves at East Lee stable? Why?
2. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
3. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
4. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
5. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
6. What do Elijah and Mr. Leroy learn when they arrive in village in Michigan where Mr. Highgate was shot?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
9. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
10. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)