|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(c) Cherry pie.
(d) Pound cake.
2. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
(a) The barn cat.
(b) Old Flapjack.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Mr. Segee.
3. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Old Flapjack.
(d) The preacher.
4. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
5. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
(a) He does not want the preacher to know how good he is.
(b) He does not want the preacher to tell everyone in town how good he is.
(c) He does not want to seem too perfect in case the preacher accused him of conjuring.
(d) He does not want the preacher to tell his mother he can throw rocks so accurately.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
2. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
3. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
4. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
5. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
2. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
3. Who are the Taylors? Why have they come to Buxton?
4. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
5. Why do Cooter and Elijah rush to the schoolhouse in chapter 12?
6. How does Elijah's mother relate that her own mother reacted to the news she had gone to Canada with their white masters?
7. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
8. What does Elijah tell Mr. Leroy about the preacher in chapter 16 that later leaves him feeling guilty and afraid for his life in chapter 17?
9. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
10. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)