|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(b) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(c) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(d) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
2. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
3. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(b) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
(c) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(d) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
4. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A snipe bird.
(b) A rabid bear.
(c) A hoop snake.
(d) A wild injun dog.
5. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(b) A letter his mother sent him.
(c) A passage from the Bible.
(d) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
2. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
3. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
4. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
5. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
2. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
3. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
4. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
5. Who is Frederick Douglass?
6. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
7. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
8. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
9. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
10. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)