|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
(a) Working and playing parts.
(b) Enjoying and unfortunate parts.
(c) Enjoying and hating parts.
(d) Working and enjoying parts.
2. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(b) To trade for a new book.
(c) To trade for a fresh pie.
(d) To trade for a new magazine.
3. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(b) Pictures of lions.
4. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
5. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A grey mule.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A bloody man.
(d) A white horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
2. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
3. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
4. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
5. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
2. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
3. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
4. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
5. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
6. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
7. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
8. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
9. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
10. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)