|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They decide not to keep score.
(b) They tie.
(d) The preacher.
2. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
(a) Working and playing parts.
(b) Working and enjoying parts.
(c) Enjoying and hating parts.
(d) Enjoying and unfortunate parts.
3. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Brownie cookies.
(c) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
4. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
5. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
(d) Easily broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
2. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
3. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
4. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
5. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
2. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
3. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
4. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
5. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
6. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
7. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
8. Who does Elijah trade for a cherry pie? What does he trade?
9. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
10. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)