|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
(a) Beefing up.
(c) Prettying up.
2. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A cross.
(b) A letter T.
(c) A letter S.
(d) A ranch's brand.
3. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(b) Cherry pie.
(c) Pound cake.
4. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
5. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He only eats the head.
(b) He only eats the soft eyes.
(c) He eats everything, even the bones.
(d) He only eats the hard fins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
2. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
3. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
4. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
5. What is the point of view of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
2. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
3. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
4. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
5. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
6. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
7. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
8. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
9. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
10. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)