|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their tails.
(b) Their paws.
(c) Their tongues.
(d) Their bellies.
2. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
(a) One about Old Flapjack.
(b) The one of Cooter and Mr. Travis.
(c) One about his mother's fear of toads.
(d) One of Mrs. Holton's savings to buy her husband.
3. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One free releases them all.
(b) One working for others to be free.
(c) One helping to uplift all.
(d) It only takes one.
4. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
5. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
2. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
3. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
4. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
5. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
2. Who refuses to help Elijah free the slaves at East Lee stable? Why?
3. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
4. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
5. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
6. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
7. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
8. In chapter 14, where does the community of Buxton spend their Sunday afternoon?
9. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
10. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)