|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Fascination.
(b) Carnival of Games.
(c) Carnival of Oddities.
(d) Carnival of Exotics.
2. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
(a) Snake tracks.
(b) Bear tracks.
(c) Dog tracks.
(d) Bird tracks.
3. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
(a) Mr. Segee.
(b) The barn cat.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Old Flapjack.
4. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(b) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(c) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
(d) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
5. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was married to an Indian.
(b) She was sold.
(c) She was beaten to death.
(d) She died in infancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
2. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
3. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
4. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
5. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
2. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
3. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
4. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
5. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
6. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
7. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
8. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
9. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
10. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)