|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was sold.
(b) She was married to an Indian.
(c) She was beaten to death.
(d) She died in infancy.
2. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Travis.
(b) Mr. Douglass.
(c) Mr. Brown.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
3. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is from Mississippi.
(c) He drinks too much.
(d) He was dropped on his head as a child.
4. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(c) Cherry pie.
(d) Pound cake.
5. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Waller.
(b) Miss Duncan.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is tithing?
2. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
3. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
4. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
5. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
2. For what reason does Mr. Leroy want to go to Michigan? Why does he want to take Elijah?
3. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
4. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
5. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
6. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
7. From whom does Mrs. Holton receive a letter? What does this letter say?
8. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
9. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
10. What is the subject of the meeting that takes place in chapter 18?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)