|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
(a) He took it as a tithe payment from a devoted Christian.
(b) He bought it in Detroit.
(c) He found it in the woods.
(d) He inherited from a dead brother.
2. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Elijah's father.
(d) Mr. Taylor.
3. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Gingerbread cookies.
(b) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(c) Chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Brownie cookies.
4. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
(b) Helping the settlement.
(c) Helping his family.
(d) Helping the preacher's church.
5. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
2. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
3. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
4. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
5. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
2. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
3. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
4. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
5. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
6. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
7. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
8. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
9. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
10. What is important about the settlement of Buxton?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)