|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Old Flapjack.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) The preacher.
2. Who is Mr. Segee?
(a) Elijah's teacher.
(b) The stable owner.
(c) Eliajah's father.
(d) The dry goods store owner.
3. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) A con man.
(b) A jackleg man of the Lord.
(c) A trickster.
(d) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
4. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They tie.
(c) They decide not to keep score.
(d) The preacher.
5. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a new magazine.
(b) To trade for a new book.
(c) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(d) To trade for a fresh pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
2. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
3. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
4. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
5. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
2. What does Elijah imagine as he catches horseflies in the stable?
3. To whom does the preacher introduce Elijah to? For what purpose?
4. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
5. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
6. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
7. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
8. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
9. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
10. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)