|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Elijah's father.
2. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
(a) Made his skin turn yellow.
(b) Made him strong and confident.
(c) Made his skin a healthy shade of brown.
(d) Made him skinny and sickly.
3. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Cooking in the mess tent.
(b) Selling souvenirs.
(c) Caring for the animals.
(d) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
4. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Exotics.
(b) Carnival of Games.
(c) Carnival of Oddities.
(d) Carnival of Fascination.
5. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A bloody man.
(b) A white horse.
(c) A grey mule.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
3. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
4. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
5. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Mrs. Holton make to Mr. Leroy in chapter 15? For what purpose?
2. What has Mrs. Taylor been giving her infant daughter that makes her afraid for the child? Why has she done this?
3. Why was MaWee replaced by a local white child in Madame Sabbar's act?
4. What does Emma give to the Taylor's older daughter? For what reason?
5. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
6. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
7. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
8. Why does Elijah tell the villagers in chapter 20 that he has an aunt waiting for him close by?
9. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
10. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)