|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(b) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
(c) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
(d) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
2. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(a) Pictures of lions.
3. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
4. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their bellies.
(b) Their paws.
(c) Their tails.
(d) Their tongues.
5. Who is Mr. Segee?
(a) The dry goods store owner.
(b) The stable owner.
(c) Elijah's teacher.
(d) Eliajah's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
3. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
4. What things does Madame Sabbar shoot at in chapter 8?
5. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who grabs Elijah as he is making his way to the meeting in chapter 18? For what reason?
2. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
3. Whom do the Duncan sisters believe Mrs. Taylor is? For what reason?
4. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
5. What happens to Mr. Leroy as he and Elijah prepare to go to East Lee stable in chapter 20?
6. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
7. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
8. To whom does Mr. Leroy go to ask for help in buying his family's freedom from slavery?
9. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
10. What do Cooter and Elijah hide in the knitting belonging to Elijah's mother?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)