|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
(d) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
2. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The jungles of Sweden.
(b) The rainforest of the Amazon.
(c) The forest of Arkansas.
(d) The woods of Buxton.
3. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A wild injun dog.
(b) A hoop snake.
(c) A rabid bear.
(d) A snipe bird.
4. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) Mr. Taylor.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Elijah's father.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
5. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
2. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
4. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
5. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frederick Douglass?
2. What is meant by the expression familiarity breeds contempt?
3. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
4. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
5. Who is Samuel? How does Samuel perform for Elijah and the preacher?
6. What do Cooter and Elijah think Mr. Travis means by familiarity breeds contempt in chapter 6?
7. What tragedy does Elijah describe from Mrs. Brown's recent past?
8. Why does Elijah feel as though the entire settlement of Buxton believes him to be fragile?
9. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
10. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)