|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A rabid bear.
(b) A hoop snake.
(c) A wild injun dog.
(d) A snipe bird.
2. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
(c) New York.
4. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) A con man.
(b) A trickster.
(c) A jackleg man of the Lord.
(d) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
5. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Wave his arms around.
(b) Stamp his feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
2. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
3. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
4. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
5. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason are the children sent home early from school at the beginning of chapter 4?
2. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
3. To whom did the preacher try to sell Elijah? For what purpose?
4. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
5. What is Elijah afraid of? For what reason?
6. What is the basis of Madame Sabbar's act?
7. Who is Frederick Douglass?
8. Why does Mr. Leroy react as he does in chapter 7 to Elijah's use of a derogatory word?
9. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
10. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)