|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no tigers in Canada.
(b) There are no lions in Canada.
(c) There are no tigers in Sweden.
(d) There are no lions in Sweden.
2. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(c) Lightening bolts.
(d) Laser beams.
3. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(b) Pound cake.
(d) Cherry pie.
4. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mrs. Highgate.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Miss Duncan.
5. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
2. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
3. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
4. What is the point of view of this novel?
5. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elijah begin to use a derogatory word in chapter 7? How does Mr. Leroy react?
2. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
3. Who teaches Elijah to shoot a gun? For what reason?
4. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
5. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
6. What does Elijah's mother cook better than she bakes?
7. What does Elijah plan to do with fish he has caught? Who talks him out of four of his fish?
8. To whom does Elijah take a plate of fried fish in chapter 5?
9. What does Mr. Leroy show Elijah in chapter 7? What is the significance about these things?
10. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)