|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
(a) He preferred to take his meals alone.
(b) He never left his office till dark.
(c) He always waited for Elijah to bring him his meals.
(d) He always worked later than everyone else.
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) French and Indian children.
(b) French and white children.
(c) Indian and white children.
(d) White and Chinese children.
3. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
(d) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
4. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) His eyes are a strange color.
(b) His eyes seem to see nothing.
(c) He has two sets of eyes.
(d) He has three sets of eyes.
5. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
(a) French and Greek.
(b) Spanish and Latin.
(c) Greek and Latin.
(d) Spanish and Greek.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
3. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
4. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
5. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to live in Buxton at the end of chapter 10? For what reason?
2. What method does Elijah employ in his fishing?
3. What does Elijah use as bait to catch his fish?
4. Why do Elijah and his friend, Cooter, begin tracking a snake one afternoon?
5. Who convinces Elijah to sneak out and go to the carnival? For what reasons?
6. Who suddenly appears in Buxton with a fancy new gun in chapter 4?
7. Why does Elijah divide his secret pond into two parts? What does he do there?
8. What does Mr. Travis teach besides general education? Why does this bother Elijah?
9. Who is Frederick Douglass?
10. Why does MaWee think that Elijah will replace him in the carnival?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)