|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
(a) She might have refused to let them take her.
(b) She might have insisted on going herself.
(c) She might have caused a rebellion amond the slaves.
(d) She might have run off with her.
2. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A haint.
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) They might need his help.
(b) They might need someone to read something for them.
(c) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(d) He wants to hear the gossip.
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) By train.
(c) By boat.
(d) On a horse.
5. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
(b) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(c) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(d) It is lame.
6. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His shirttail.
(b) A leaf.
(c) His shirtsleeve.
(d) His hanky.
7. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(b) Working with Mr. Leroy.
(d) Working for Mr. Segee.
8. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to go to a party.
(b) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(c) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(d) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
9. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(b) He fell and broke his leg.
(c) He broke his arm.
(d) He was hit in the head by his horse.
10. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Flapjack is moving too slow.
(d) Flapjack injured his leg.
11. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That it is his only option.
(d) That he trusts the preacher.
12. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A scythe.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A pistol.
13. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Polite.
14. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
(a) A month.
(b) The next day.
(d) A week.
15. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
3. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
4. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)