|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A haint.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A celebrity.
2. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(b) A mule.
(c) The grownups.
(d) The wall.
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(b) Mrs. Highgate.
(c) His mother.
4. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His shirtsleeve.
(b) A leaf.
(c) His hanky.
(d) His shirttail.
5. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(b) Police officers.
(c) The preacher.
6. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Travis.
7. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With the pistol.
(b) With a deep yell.
(c) With a knife.
(d) With rocks.
8. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(d) Elijah's dad.
9. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(b) It is lame.
(c) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
(d) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
10. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mrs. Holton.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Segee.
11. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A day.
(b) An hour.
(c) Three days.
(d) A week.
12. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
13. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He could read their bluffs well.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He cheated.
14. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Bixby.
(b) His parents.
15. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
(a) The colored inhabitants of Pittsburgh.
(b) The original fifteen inhabitants of Buxton.
(c) The governor of Ontario.
(d) The town of Chatham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
2. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
3. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
4. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
5. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)