|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
2. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) They might need his help.
(b) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(c) They might need someone to read something for them.
(d) He wants to hear the gossip.
3. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He explains what will happen to them next.
(b) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(c) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(d) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
4. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(b) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(c) It bores him.
(d) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Freeman.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
6. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stop trusting people.
(b) Stand up and face a situation.
(c) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(d) Stand up and face his punishment.
7. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(b) To bring them some water.
(c) To help with the work.
(d) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
8. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(c) Hit Elijah.
9. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(d) Elijah's dad.
10. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A bear.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A dog.
(d) A boar.
11. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He did not run very far.
(b) He cried.
(c) He ran.
(d) He tore his pants.
12. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(b) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(c) He needs to go to a party.
(d) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
13. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone stole the firing pin.
(b) Someone plugged the barrel.
(c) Someone broke the trigger.
(d) Someone removed the shells.
14. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
(a) The stealer of dreams.
(b) An abomination.
(c) Robber of hope.
(d) The thief of hearts.
15. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) Reverend King.
(b) The Freemans.
(c) Mr. Brown.
(d) Frederick Douglass.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
5. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)