|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(b) His parents.
(d) Mrs. Bixby.
2. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
(b) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
(c) That he will return home safely.
(d) That he will steal the preacher's money.
3. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Gave it to the ferry man.
(b) Gave it to a barmaid.
(c) Threw it in the trash.
(d) Threw it in the river.
4. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His hanky.
(b) A leaf.
(c) His shirtsleeve.
(d) His shirttail.
5. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(c) They might need someone to read something for them.
(d) They might need his help.
6. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A dog.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A boar.
(d) A bear.
7. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He did not run very far.
(b) He tore his pants.
(c) He cried.
(d) He ran.
8. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The mayor's house.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
9. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A fancy leather belt.
(b) A long butcher's knife.
(c) A backpack.
(d) The preacher's gun.
10. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Highgate.
(b) Mr. Freeman.
(c) Mr. Polite.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
11. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With rocks.
(b) With the pistol.
(c) With a deep yell.
(d) With a knife.
12. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A monster.
(c) A haint.
(d) A conjurer.
13. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To check on the mail.
(b) To buy groceries for his mother.
(c) To visit his friend.
(d) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
14. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
(a) To avoid falling off.
(b) To hear good gossip.
(c) To be with his friends.
(d) To be far from the plow horse.
15. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
(b) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(c) He told him to trust the preacher.
(d) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
2. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
3. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
4. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
5. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)