|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
2. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(b) Battle Creek.
(d) Ann Arbor.
3. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With the pistol.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With rocks.
(d) With a deep yell.
4. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go to the police station.
(b) Go to the post master's house.
(c) Go home, the post office is closed.
(d) Go to the dry goods store.
5. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
6. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He broke his arm.
(b) He was hit in the head by his horse.
(c) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(d) He fell and broke his leg.
7. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's smart.
(b) He's grown.
(c) He's his friend.
(d) He's not a gossip.
8. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(b) News of a loved one's death.
(c) A threat to return to slavery.
(d) News of friends left behind.
9. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(b) He told him to trust the preacher.
(c) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
(d) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
10. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(b) The preacher.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Jarvey.
11. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(c) Elijah's dad.
12. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(b) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(c) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(d) He explains what will happen to them next.
13. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He could read their bluffs well.
(b) He was using some kind of system.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He cheated.
14. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A dog.
(d) A boar.
15. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(c) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
2. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
3. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
4. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
5. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)