|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
(c) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(d) A doctor.
2. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Threw it in the river.
(b) Gave it to a barmaid.
(c) Threw it in the trash.
(d) Gave it to the ferry man.
3. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A sign for her bakery.
(b) A sign honoring her husband.
(c) A pillar for her house.
(d) A gate for her front yard.
4. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Four days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
5. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
(a) The next day.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
6. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) A baby.
(c) Their food.
(d) Her clothes.
7. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) A threat to return to slavery.
(b) News of a loved one's death.
(c) News of friends left behind.
(d) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
8. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(a) Elijah's dad.
9. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
10. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
11. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
12. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A dime.
(d) A dollar.
13. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A haint.
14. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(c) The preacher.
(d) Police officers.
15. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(b) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
(c) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
(d) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
2. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
3. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
4. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
5. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)