|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(b) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
(c) He told him to trust the preacher.
(d) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
2. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The mayor's house.
(d) The dry goods store.
3. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Jarvey.
4. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A sign honoring her husband.
(b) A gate for her front yard.
(c) A pillar for her house.
(d) A sign for her bakery.
5. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Abolitionists and the slavers.
(b) Cowboys and indians.
(d) Master and slave.
6. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He explains what will happen to them next.
(b) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(c) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(d) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
7. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
8. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
9. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Building a new shed.
(b) Uprooting stumps.
(c) Mowing the grass.
(d) Cutting logs.
10. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Return to America.
(b) Move to Toronto.
(c) Buy his wife and children.
(d) Buy a new horse.
11. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
12. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A haint.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A celebrity.
13. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) The Freemans.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Mr. Brown.
(d) Reverend King.
14. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
15. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(b) Working with Mr. Leroy.
(c) Working for Mr. Segee.
(d) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
3. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
4. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
5. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)