|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) A baby.
(c) Their food.
(d) Her clothes.
2. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
(b) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(c) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
(d) He wants to run around with his friends.
3. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) He fell and broke his leg.
(d) He was hit in the head by his horse.
4. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A slaver.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(d) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
5. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(b) Hit Elijah.
6. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
(a) A month.
(b) The next day.
(c) A week.
7. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) Deciding where to go.
(b) Making the decision.
(c) The first.
(d) The last.
8. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(c) The preacher.
(d) Police officers.
9. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To check on the mail.
(b) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(c) To visit his friend.
(d) To buy groceries for his mother.
10. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
11. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Highgate.
12. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(a) His parents.
(d) Mrs. Bixby.
13. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) His son, Ezekial.
(c) The preacher.
(d) His wife.
14. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A knife.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A shotgun.
15. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He could read their bluffs well.
(b) He had good luck.
(c) He cheated.
(d) He was using some kind of system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
2. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
3. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
4. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
5. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)