|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone removed the shells.
(b) Someone stole the firing pin.
(c) Someone broke the trigger.
(d) Someone plugged the barrel.
2. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A knife.
3. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Threw it in the river.
(b) Threw it in the trash.
(c) Gave it to the ferry man.
(d) Gave it to a barmaid.
4. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He ran.
(b) He did not run very far.
(c) He tore his pants.
(d) He cried.
5. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's smart.
(b) He's his friend.
(c) He's not a gossip.
(d) He's grown.
6. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A backpack.
(b) The preacher's gun.
(c) A fancy leather belt.
(d) A long butcher's knife.
7. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
8. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Their food.
(c) The family pet.
(d) A baby.
9. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) The Freemans.
10. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A circle.
(b) A square.
(c) A moon.
(d) A heart.
11. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(a) Hit Elijah.
12. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
(a) Two glasses of milk.
(b) A glass of juice.
13. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(a) Ann Arbor.
(b) Battle Creek.
14. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Mr. Jarvey.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
15. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
(a) Mr. Highgate.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mr. Travis.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
2. Who is Benji Alston?
3. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
4. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
5. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)