|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Two days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Three days.
2. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Move to Toronto.
(b) Buy a new horse.
(c) Return to America.
(d) Buy his wife and children.
3. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A fancy leather belt.
(b) A backpack.
(c) A long butcher's knife.
(d) The preacher's gun.
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) By boat.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) By train.
(d) On a horse.
5. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A sign honoring her husband.
(b) A gate for her front yard.
(c) A pillar for her house.
(d) A sign for her bakery.
6. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(a) The preacher.
(c) Police officers.
7. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
8. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) His wife.
(b) His son, Ezekial.
(d) The preacher.
9. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) A baby.
(d) Their food.
10. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
(a) The original fifteen inhabitants of Buxton.
(b) The governor of Ontario.
(c) The colored inhabitants of Pittsburgh.
(d) The town of Chatham.
11. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
(a) They are smarter.
(b) They are not as bumpy.
(c) They are slower.
(d) They are gentler animals.
12. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
13. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) The first.
(b) Making the decision.
(c) Deciding where to go.
(d) The last.
14. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(b) It bores him.
(c) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(d) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
15. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He had good luck.
(c) He could read their bluffs well.
(d) He cheated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
2. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
3. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
4. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
5. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)