|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Move to Toronto.
(b) Return to America.
(c) Buy a new horse.
(d) Buy his wife and children.
2. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help with the work.
(b) To bring them some water.
(c) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(d) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
3. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) His son, Ezekial.
(b) The preacher.
(d) His wife.
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) On a horse.
(b) By boat.
(c) In a wagon.
(d) By train.
5. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
6. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A boar.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A dog.
7. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mrs. Holton.
(d) Mr. Segee.
8. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He could read their bluffs well.
(c) He cheated.
(d) He had good luck.
9. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Uprooting stumps.
(b) Cutting logs.
(c) Mowing the grass.
(d) Building a new shed.
10. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A dime.
(b) A dollar.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A nickel.
11. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
12. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(c) Mrs. Bixby.
(d) His parents.
13. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(b) To visit his friend.
(c) To check on the mail.
(d) To buy groceries for his mother.
14. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) The next day.
15. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With a knife.
(b) With rocks.
(c) With a deep yell.
(d) With the pistol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
2. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
3. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
4. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
5. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)