|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A dime.
(d) A dollar.
2. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) Making the decision.
(b) The last.
(c) The first.
(d) Deciding where to go.
3. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help with the work.
(b) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(c) To bring them some water.
(d) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
4. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Working with Mr. Leroy.
(b) Working for Mr. Segee.
(c) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
5. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(b) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(c) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(d) It bores him.
6. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He cried.
(b) He tore his pants.
(c) He did not run very far.
(d) He ran.
7. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A baby.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Their food.
(d) The family pet.
8. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Four days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Two days.
9. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Ten days.
10. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) By boat.
(b) By train.
(c) On a horse.
(d) In a wagon.
11. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(b) He needs to go to a party.
(c) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(d) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
12. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A backpack.
(b) A long butcher's knife.
(c) The preacher's gun.
(d) A fancy leather belt.
13. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone removed the shells.
(b) Someone stole the firing pin.
(c) Someone broke the trigger.
(d) Someone plugged the barrel.
14. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
15. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(b) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
2. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
3. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
4. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
5. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)