|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) It bores him.
(b) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(c) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(d) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
2. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(a) Hit Elijah.
3. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go to the post master's house.
(b) Go to the police station.
(c) Go to the dry goods store.
(d) Go home, the post office is closed.
4. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He tore his pants.
(b) He did not run very far.
(c) He ran.
(d) He cried.
5. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The sawmill.
(b) Mrs. Holton's.
(c) The garden.
(d) The church.
6. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) Elijah's father.
7. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A day.
(b) A week.
(c) Three days.
(d) An hour.
8. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) The wall.
(b) The grownups.
(d) A mule.
9. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) The Freemans.
10. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Mowing the grass.
(b) Cutting logs.
(c) Building a new shed.
(d) Uprooting stumps.
11. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone broke the trigger.
(b) Someone plugged the barrel.
(c) Someone stole the firing pin.
(d) Someone removed the shells.
12. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A sign for her bakery.
(b) A gate for her front yard.
(c) A sign honoring her husband.
(d) A pillar for her house.
13. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
(b) He needs to go to a party.
(c) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(d) He needs to study for a Latin test.
14. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He broke his arm.
(b) He fell and broke his leg.
(c) He was hit in the head by his horse.
(d) He was hit in the head by a thief.
15. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
2. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
3. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
4. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
5. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)