|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
(a) The original fifteen inhabitants of Buxton.
(b) The colored inhabitants of Pittsburgh.
(c) The town of Chatham.
(d) The governor of Ontario.
2. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Master and slave.
(b) Abolitionists and the slavers.
(c) Cowboys and indians.
3. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(b) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(c) To bring them some water.
(d) To help with the work.
4. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Bixby.
(b) His parents.
5. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With a deep yell.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With the pistol.
(d) With rocks.
6. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(b) The preacher.
(d) Police officers.
7. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(a) Elijah's dad.
8. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) The Freemans.
(b) Reverend King.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Mr. Brown.
9. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
(b) He needs to go to a party.
(c) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(d) He needs to study for a Latin test.
10. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A dog.
(d) A boar.
11. Who does Mr. Freeman suggest go with the preacher to make a deal with John Jarvey?
(a) Mr. Travis.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Polite.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
12. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(b) Working for Mr. Segee.
(c) Working with Mr. Leroy.
13. What does Elijah regret drinking in the beginning of chapter 20?
(a) A glass of juice.
(b) Two glasses of milk.
14. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(b) Mr. Jarvey.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
15. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A celebrity.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A haint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
2. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
3. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
4. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
5. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)