|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He was hit in the head by his horse.
(b) He fell and broke his leg.
(c) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(d) He broke his arm.
2. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) Three days.
(b) An hour.
(c) A day.
(d) A week.
3. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) It is lame.
(b) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(c) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(d) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) On a horse.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
5. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
6. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) They might need someone to read something for them.
(c) They might need his help.
(d) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
7. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(a) One hundred.
8. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) News of friends left behind.
(b) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(c) News of a loved one's death.
(d) A threat to return to slavery.
9. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
(a) She might have refused to let them take her.
(b) She might have caused a rebellion amond the slaves.
(c) She might have insisted on going herself.
(d) She might have run off with her.
10. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A boar.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bear.
11. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
(b) A slaver.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A man who gambled with the preacher.
12. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A knife.
(d) A scythe.
13. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Freeman.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
14. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He did not eat his dinner.
(b) He talked back to his mother.
(c) He has been acting up in school.
(d) He stole some cookies.
15. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Building a new shed.
(b) Mowing the grass.
(c) Cutting logs.
(d) Uprooting stumps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
2. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
3. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
4. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
5. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)