|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(d) One hundred.
2. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He fell and broke his leg.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(d) He was hit in the head by his horse.
3. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(b) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
(c) A slaver.
(d) A doctor.
4. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A backpack.
(b) A fancy leather belt.
(c) The preacher's gun.
(d) A long butcher's knife.
5. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) Mr. Highgate.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Jarvey.
6. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Return to America.
(b) Move to Toronto.
(c) Buy his wife and children.
(d) Buy a new horse.
7. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stand up and face his punishment.
(b) Stand up and face a situation.
(c) Stop trusting people.
(d) Stop assuming the worst of people.
8. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He talked back to his mother.
(b) He stole some cookies.
(c) He did not eat his dinner.
(d) He has been acting up in school.
9. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He could read their bluffs well.
(b) He was using some kind of system.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He cheated.
10. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A dime.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A nickel.
11. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Holton's.
(b) The church.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) The garden.
12. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His shirtsleeve.
(b) A leaf.
(c) His shirttail.
(d) His hanky.
13. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(b) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(c) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(d) He explains what will happen to them next.
14. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Six days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
15. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
(a) She might have run off with her.
(b) She might have caused a rebellion amond the slaves.
(c) She might have refused to let them take her.
(d) She might have insisted on going herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
2. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
3. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
4. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
5. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)