|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
2. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Reverend King.
(c) Mr. Taylor.
(d) The preacher.
3. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A knife.
(b) A scythe.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A pistol.
4. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) By train.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) By boat.
(d) On a horse.
5. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(b) Elijah's dad.
6. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(a) One hundred.
7. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That it is his only option.
(b) That he trusts the preacher.
(c) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(d) That sometimes you have to have faith.
8. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) Three days.
(b) A day.
(c) A week.
(d) An hour.
9. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go to the dry goods store.
(b) Go home, the post office is closed.
(c) Go to the police station.
(d) Go to the post master's house.
10. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stand up and face a situation.
(b) Stand up and face his punishment.
(c) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(d) Stop trusting people.
11. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A dog.
(d) A boar.
12. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
13. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Uprooting stumps.
(b) Building a new shed.
(c) Cutting logs.
(d) Mowing the grass.
14. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
(a) He does not want to embarass him.
(b) He has nothing in common with him.
(c) He is more interested in the refugee girl.
(d) He does not like him.
15. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(b) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(c) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(d) It bores him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
2. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
3. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
4. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
5. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)