|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gave the Liberty Bell to Buxton as inscribed on the bell?
(a) The colored inhabitants of Pittsburgh.
(b) The governor of Ontario.
(c) The town of Chatham.
(d) The original fifteen inhabitants of Buxton.
2. What concerns Elijah about the horse in chapter 20 he and Mr. Leroy are riding?
(a) It is lame.
(b) It is too slow to get them to Michigan.
(c) Mr. Leroy is pushing it too hard.
(d) It is too small to carry both he and Mr. Leroy.
3. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
(a) To be with his friends.
(b) To be far from the plow horse.
(c) To avoid falling off.
(d) To hear good gossip.
4. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(b) It bores him.
(c) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(d) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
5. How many children does Mrs. Holton have?
6. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Reverend King.
(c) Mr. Brown.
(d) The Freemans.
7. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he trusts the preacher.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(d) That it is his only option.
8. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Six days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
9. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(c) The preacher.
(d) Police officers.
10. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The mayor's house.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
11. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With rocks.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With the pistol.
(d) With a deep yell.
12. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A gate for her front yard.
(b) A pillar for her house.
(c) A sign honoring her husband.
(d) A sign for her bakery.
13. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(a) Ann Arbor.
(d) Battle Creek.
14. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stand up and face his punishment.
(b) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(c) Stand up and face a situation.
(d) Stop trusting people.
15. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A dime.
(d) A dollar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
2. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
3. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
4. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
5. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)