|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) A baby.
(c) The family pet.
(d) Their food.
2. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
(a) To be far from the plow horse.
(b) To be with his friends.
(c) To avoid falling off.
(d) To hear good gossip.
3. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) The first.
(b) Deciding where to go.
(c) Making the decision.
(d) The last.
4. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Move to Toronto.
(b) Buy a new horse.
(c) Buy his wife and children.
(d) Return to America.
5. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Six days.
6. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
(b) He needs to study for a Latin test.
(c) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(d) He needs to go to a party.
7. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) Mr. Segee.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mrs. Holton.
(d) The preacher.
8. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Threw it in the river.
(b) Gave it to the ferry man.
(c) Gave it to a barmaid.
(d) Threw it in the trash.
9. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(b) Police officers.
(d) The preacher.
10. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) News of friends left behind.
(b) News of a loved one's death.
(c) A threat to return to slavery.
(d) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
11. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
(b) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(c) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
(d) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
12. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
(a) An abomination.
(b) Robber of hope.
(c) The thief of hearts.
(d) The stealer of dreams.
13. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone plugged the barrel.
(b) Someone removed the shells.
(c) Someone broke the trigger.
(d) Someone stole the firing pin.
14. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(d) One hundred.
15. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A dollar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
2. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
5. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)