|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) The preacher's gun.
(b) A long butcher's knife.
(c) A fancy leather belt.
(d) A backpack.
2. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(b) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
(c) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
(d) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
3. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The mayor's house.
(c) The church.
(d) The dry goods store.
4. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Buy a new horse.
(b) Move to Toronto.
(c) Return to America.
(d) Buy his wife and children.
5. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
(a) Gave it to a barmaid.
(b) Gave it to the ferry man.
(c) Threw it in the trash.
(d) Threw it in the river.
6. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A heart.
(b) A circle.
(c) A square.
(d) A moon.
7. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(b) He wants to run around with his friends.
(c) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
(d) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
8. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Mrs. Holton.
(d) Mr. Polite.
9. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(a) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
10. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A boar.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A dog.
11. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Elijah's father.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) Mr. Taylor.
12. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
(a) He needs to go to a party.
(b) He needs to help his father clear some stumps around Mrs. Holton's.
(c) He needs to help his mother with the preserves.
(d) He needs to study for a Latin test.
13. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(a) One hundred.
14. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
15. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(b) That sometimes you have to have faith.
(c) That it is his only option.
(d) That he trusts the preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Benji Alston?
2. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
4. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
5. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)