|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Mowing the grass.
(b) Cutting logs.
(c) Building a new shed.
(d) Uprooting stumps.
2. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(b) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
(c) That he will return home safely.
(d) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
3. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
4. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A dog.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bear.
(d) A boar.
5. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Freeman.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Polite.
6. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(b) His son, Ezekial.
(c) His wife.
(d) The preacher.
7. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) The grownups.
(b) A mule.
(d) The wall.
8. What is Elijah helping Mr. Leroy to make for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A gate for her front yard.
(b) A sign honoring her husband.
(c) A sign for her bakery.
(d) A pillar for her house.
9. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(c) One hundred.
10. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Return to America.
(b) Buy his wife and children.
(c) Buy a new horse.
(d) Move to Toronto.
11. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He fell and broke his leg.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(d) He was hit in the head by his horse.
12. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To check on the mail.
(b) To visit his friend.
(c) To buy groceries for his mother.
(d) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
13. What is Mr. Leroy wearing in chapter 19?
(a) A fancy leather belt.
(b) A long butcher's knife.
(c) A backpack.
(d) The preacher's gun.
14. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The church.
(b) Mrs. Holton's.
(c) The garden.
(d) The sawmill.
15. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) He wants to hear the gossip.
(b) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
(c) They might need someone to read something for them.
(d) They might need his help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
2. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
5. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)