|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To bring them some water.
(b) To help with the work.
(c) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(d) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
2. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone broke the trigger.
(b) Someone plugged the barrel.
(c) Someone removed the shells.
(d) Someone stole the firing pin.
3. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(b) The wall.
(c) A mule.
(d) The grownups.
4. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A moon.
(b) A circle.
(c) A heart.
(d) A square.
5. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(c) One hundred.
6. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stand up and face his punishment.
(b) Stop trusting people.
(c) Stand up and face a situation.
(d) Stop assuming the worst of people.
7. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(c) Police officers.
(d) The preacher.
8. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A haint.
(b) A monster.
(c) A conjurer.
(d) A celebrity.
9. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) Three days.
(b) A day.
(c) An hour.
(d) A week.
10. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(a) Battle Creek.
(b) Ann Arbor.
11. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
(a) Mr. Polite.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Flapjack injured his leg.
(d) Flapjack is moving too slow.
12. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) The preacher.
(c) Mr. Jarvey.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
13. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) By train.
(c) On a horse.
(d) By boat.
14. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A boar.
(c) A bear.
(d) A dog.
15. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Master and slave.
(b) Cowboys and indians.
(d) Abolitionists and the slavers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
2. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
3. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
4. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
5. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)