|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A knife.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A shotgun.
2. How does Elijah frighten off the animal in chapter 21 that attacks him outside the stable?
(a) With the pistol.
(b) With a knife.
(c) With rocks.
(d) With a deep yell.
3. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He talked back to his mother.
(b) He has been acting up in school.
(c) He did not eat his dinner.
(d) He stole some cookies.
4. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He could read their bluffs well.
(b) He cheated.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He was using some kind of system.
5. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
6. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Their food.
(d) A baby.
7. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Jarvey.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
8. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
(b) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
(c) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(d) He wants to run around with his friends.
9. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
(a) Mr. Freeman.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Mr. Highgate.
10. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) Making the decision.
(b) The last.
(c) Deciding where to go.
(d) The first.
11. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Polite.
(c) Flapjack injured his leg.
(d) Flapjack is moving too slow.
12. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
(a) He does not like him.
(b) He does not want to embarass him.
(c) He is more interested in the refugee girl.
(d) He has nothing in common with him.
13. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Buy a new horse.
(b) Return to America.
(c) Move to Toronto.
(d) Buy his wife and children.
14. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) By train.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) On a horse.
(d) By boat.
15. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Working for Mr. Segee.
(b) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(c) Working with Mr. Leroy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
2. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
3. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
4. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
5. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)