|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will return home safely.
(b) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(c) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
(d) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
2. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(b) Mrs. Highgate.
(d) His mother.
3. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The church.
(b) The garden.
(c) The sawmill.
(d) Mrs. Holton's.
4. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To visit his friend.
(b) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(c) To buy groceries for his mother.
(d) To check on the mail.
5. When does Mr. Leroy promise Elijah he will be back home?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) The next day.
6. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go to the dry goods store.
(b) Go to the post master's house.
(c) Go to the police station.
(d) Go home, the post office is closed.
7. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A week.
(b) A day.
(c) Three days.
(d) An hour.
8. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A boar.
(b) A bear.
(c) A dog.
(d) A mountain lion.
9. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
10. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
(a) Flapjack is moving too slow.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Flapjack injured his leg.
(d) Mr. Polite.
11. How many times do the people of Buxton ring the Liberty Bell when a new refugee arrives?
12. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He was hit in the head by a thief.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) He was hit in the head by his horse.
(d) He fell and broke his leg.
13. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
(b) He told him to trust the preacher.
(c) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(d) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
14. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) A mule.
(b) The grownups.
(d) The wall.
15. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He explains what will happen to them next.
(b) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(c) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(d) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
2. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
3. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
4. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
5. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)