|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone removed the shells.
(b) Someone broke the trigger.
(c) Someone plugged the barrel.
(d) Someone stole the firing pin.
2. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) He was hit in the head by his horse.
(b) He fell and broke his leg.
(c) He broke his arm.
(d) He was hit in the head by a thief.
3. Why does Elijah want to attend the meeting in chapter 18?
(a) They might need his help.
(b) They might need someone to read something for them.
(c) He wants to hear the gossip.
(d) He wants to be a part of something grown up.
4. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Abolitionists and the slavers.
(b) Cowboys and indians.
(d) Master and slave.
5. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To bring them some water.
(b) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(c) To help with the work.
(d) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
6. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) The preacher.
(b) His son, Ezekial.
(d) His wife.
7. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To check on the mail.
(b) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(c) To visit his friend.
(d) To buy groceries for his mother.
8. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) News of a loved one's death.
(b) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(c) News of friends left behind.
(d) A threat to return to slavery.
9. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(a) Ann Arbor.
(c) Battle Creek.
10. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go home, the post office is closed.
(b) Go to the post master's house.
(c) Go to the police station.
(d) Go to the dry goods store.
11. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
(b) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
(c) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
(d) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
12. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
(b) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(c) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
(d) That he will return home safely.
13. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He could read their bluffs well.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He cheated.
14. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(d) Elijah's dad.
15. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Move to Toronto.
(b) Buy his wife and children.
(c) Return to America.
(d) Buy a new horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
2. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)