|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
(a) The wall.
(b) A mule.
(c) The grownups.
2. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Working for Mr. Segee.
(b) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(c) Working with Mr. Leroy.
3. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A monster.
(b) A conjurer.
(c) A celebrity.
(d) A haint.
4. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(c) Elijah's dad.
5. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) Three days.
(b) A week.
(c) An hour.
(d) A day.
6. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
(a) She might have run off with her.
(b) She might have caused a rebellion amond the slaves.
(c) She might have insisted on going herself.
(d) She might have refused to let them take her.
7. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's his friend.
(b) He's grown.
(c) He's smart.
(d) He's not a gossip.
8. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) The preacher.
(c) His son, Ezekial.
(d) His wife.
9. What does Mr. Leroy say he wants to do with the money Mrs. Holton gave him?
(a) Buy his wife and children.
(b) Return to America.
(c) Move to Toronto.
(d) Buy a new horse.
10. What does a notice in the post office window in Chatham tell Elijah to do?
(a) Go home, the post office is closed.
(b) Go to the police station.
(c) Go to the post master's house.
(d) Go to the dry goods store.
11. Who tells Mr. Leroy that Elijah is not as smart as Emma Collins?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mrs. Holton.
(c) Mr. Segee.
(d) Mr. Polite.
12. Where does the ferry let Mr. Leroy and Elijah off at in chapter 20?
(b) Battle Creek.
(c) Ann Arbor.
13. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(a) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
14. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Mowing the grass.
(b) Building a new shed.
(c) Cutting logs.
(d) Uprooting stumps.
15. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The garden.
(b) Mrs. Holton's.
(c) The church.
(d) The sawmill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
2. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
3. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
4. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
5. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)