|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Working for Mr. Segee.
(b) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(c) Working with Mr. Leroy.
2. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
(a) To check on the mail.
(b) To pick up a package for a neighbor.
(c) To buy groceries for his mother.
(d) To visit his friend.
3. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
(b) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(c) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
(d) He wants to run around with his friends.
4. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He could read their bluffs well.
(b) He cheated.
(c) He was using some kind of system.
(d) He had good luck.
5. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) By train.
(b) In a wagon.
(c) By boat.
(d) On a horse.
6. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His hanky.
(b) A leaf.
(c) His shirttail.
(d) His shirtsleeve.
7. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
(b) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Highgate.
8. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A week.
(b) A day.
(c) An hour.
(d) Three days.
9. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
(a) The sawmill.
(b) The church.
(c) Mrs. Holton's.
(d) The garden.
10. What does Mr. Leroy say in chapter 16 in response to Mr. Freeman's warnings about the preacher?
(a) That he trusts the preacher.
(b) That he cannot imagine a man of God would cheat him.
(c) That it is his only option.
(d) That sometimes you have to have faith.
11. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(a) Elijah's dad.
12. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(b) News of friends left behind.
(c) A threat to return to slavery.
(d) News of a loved one's death.
13. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A knife.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A scythe.
14. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
(a) Someone removed the shells.
(b) Someone stole the firing pin.
(c) Someone broke the trigger.
(d) Someone plugged the barrel.
15. Who normally preaches in Buxton on Sunday mornings?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Elijah's father.
(c) Reverend King.
(d) Mr. Taylor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
2. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
3. How long after Elijah was Emma born?
4. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
5. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)