|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) The family pet.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Their food.
(d) A baby.
2. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He did not run very far.
(b) He tore his pants.
(c) He ran.
(d) He cried.
3. What does Elijah tell Mrs. Bixby he will be doing until late the following day in chapter 19?
(a) Working for Mr. Segee.
(b) Helping Mr. Leroy buy supplies in Chatham.
(c) Working with Mr. Leroy.
4. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
(a) He is more interested in the refugee girl.
(b) He has nothing in common with him.
(c) He does not like him.
(d) He does not want to embarass him.
5. Who does Elijah believe Mr. Leroy wants to harm at the end of chapter 17?
(b) Mr. Jarvey.
(c) Mr. Highgate.
(d) The preacher.
6. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) It bores him.
(b) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(c) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(d) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
7. What does Mr. Leroy do in the beginning of chapter 16 that he feels he must apologize for?
(d) Hit Elijah.
8. In what shape is the scar on Mrs. Taylor's back that the Miss Duncans say proves she is their sister, Alice?
(a) A square.
(b) A heart.
(c) A circle.
(d) A moon.
9. How long does it take Elijah to rewrite the statement for Mrs. Holton in chapter 15?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) A day.
(d) An hour.
10. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He cheated.
(b) He had good luck.
(c) He could read their bluffs well.
(d) He was using some kind of system.
11. What does the preacher say his friend John Jarvey will do to help Mr. Leroy in chapter 16?
(a) Bring Mr. Leroy safely to his family.
(b) Provide a safe hiding place for Mr. Leroy's runaway family.
(c) Buy Mr. Leroy's family and bring them to Michigan.
(d) Ask his abolitionist friends to help Mr. Leroy's family escape.
12. What game do the kids decide to play once they reach the beach in chapter 14?
(a) Cowboys and indians.
(b) Master and slave.
(c) Abolitionists and the slavers.
13. What promise does Elijah make to Mr. Leroy at the end of chapter 20?
(a) That he will return home safely.
(b) That he will continue to look for the preacher to kill him.
(c) That he will steal the preacher's money.
(d) That he will free Mr. Leroy's family.
14. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A scythe.
15. What does Mr. Leroy say about Elijah when Mr. Freeman tells him to leave them alone in chapter 16?
(a) He's smart.
(b) He's grown.
(c) He's not a gossip.
(d) He's his friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
2. Who finds Elijah in the woods in chapter 18?
3. Who tells Elijah of Mr. Highgate's injuries in chapter 17?
4. What reason does Elijah give to Mr. Leroy why he has to return by Saturday?
5. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)