|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) It bores him.
(b) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(c) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(d) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
2. What did Mr. Leroy call the preacher that Elijah continues to think of him as in chapter 21?
(a) An abomination.
(b) The stealer of dreams.
(c) The thief of hearts.
(d) Robber of hope.
3. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The church.
(c) The mayor's house.
(d) The schoolhouse.
4. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(a) Mrs. Bixby.
(b) His parents.
5. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(d) Elijah's dad.
6. What does the refugee reveal he has been holding behind his back as Emma coaxed him out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A scythe.
(d) A knife.
7. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
8. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His shirtsleeve.
(b) His shirttail.
(c) His hanky.
(d) A leaf.
9. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He was using some kind of system.
(b) He cheated.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He could read their bluffs well.
10. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
(a) A mountain lion.
(b) A bear.
(c) A boar.
(d) A dog.
11. What does Elijah's father tell him he must learn to start doing in chapter 18?
(a) Stop trusting people.
(b) Stop assuming the worst of people.
(c) Stand up and face his punishment.
(d) Stand up and face a situation.
12. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(b) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(c) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
(d) He explains what will happen to them next.
13. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help with the work.
(b) To bring them some water.
(c) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(d) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
14. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He talked back to his mother.
(b) He has been acting up in school.
(c) He stole some cookies.
(d) He did not eat his dinner.
15. How does Mr. Leroy plan on getting to Michigan?
(a) In a wagon.
(b) By boat.
(c) On a horse.
(d) By train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
2. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
3. What causes Elijah to have to return to Mr. Segee's in chapter 13 to trade Flapjack for a horse?
4. Why does Elijah go into Chatham in chapter 13?
5. Why does Elijah refrain from speaking to the refugee boy in chapter 11?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)