|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Elijah and Cooter run to in the beginning of chapter 12?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The mayor's house.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) The church.
2. What does the refugee girl seem to think Emma is in chapter 11?
(a) A haint.
(b) A conjurer.
(c) A celebrity.
(d) A monster.
3. Why does Elijah prefer to ride mules, as he discusses in chapter 20?
(a) They are not as bumpy.
(b) They are gentler animals.
(c) They are smarter.
(d) They are slower.
4. How many slaves does Elijah discover chained in the stable with the preacher?
5. What does Elijah's father say to the new refugees as they grow accustomed to the idea of being free in chapter 11?
(a) He tells them his story of escape from slavery.
(b) He explains what will happen to them next.
(c) He lectures them on the rules of Buxton.
(d) He points out the beauty of the sky and land.
6. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He did not eat his dinner.
(b) He talked back to his mother.
(c) He stole some cookies.
(d) He has been acting up in school.
7. Why does Elijah try to avoid leaving the church in his parents' company in chapter 14?
(a) He wants to run around with his friends.
(b) He does not want to be forced to behave.
(c) He does not want Mr. Taylor to talk to his parents about his schoolwork.
(d) He is embarrassed by his mother's devotion to church.
8. Who was the Liberty Bell presented to as engraved on the bell?
(a) The Freemans.
(b) Reverend King.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Mr. Brown.
9. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
10. Who injured Mr. Highgate?
(c) Police officers.
(d) The preacher.
11. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To bring them some water.
(b) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(c) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(d) To help with the work.
12. What does the writing on the letter to Mrs. Holton tell Elijah the letter contains?
(a) Word of an approaching slave chaser.
(b) News of a loved one's death.
(c) A threat to return to slavery.
(d) News of friends left behind.
13. Who does Mr. Leroy think Elijah is as he lies in the street dying in chapter 20?
(a) His wife.
(b) The preacher.
(c) His son, Ezekial.
14. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) Their food.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) The family pet.
(d) A baby.
15. How many times does Elijah realize they must ring the Liberty Bell with the arrival of a new family in chapter 12?
(b) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacks Elijah as he approaches the stable where the preacher is supposed to be gambling in chapter 21?
2. What does Mr. Highgate say happened to his own shotgun?
3. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
4. Why does Mrs. Holton think that Mrs. Freeman's master did not tell her mother they were taking her to Michigan when she was a child?
5. Why does Elijah like to sit in the middle of the buckboard?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)