|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Elijah ashamed of about himself as he and his father walk out of the woods in chapter 18?
(a) He cried.
(b) He ran.
(c) He tore his pants.
(d) He did not run very far.
2. Why does Elijah think that Mr. Leroy wants to kill him in chapter 18?
(a) He helped the preacher steal Mr. Leroy's money.
(b) He told him to trust the preacher.
(c) He told the preacher to gamble away the money.
(d) He knew there was no Mr. Jarvey.
3. Who is Benji Alston?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A slaver.
(c) A man who gambled with the preacher.
(d) A man who helped Mr. Highgate after he was shot.
4. Who sees the people hiding in the woods first in chapter 11?
(c) Elijah's dad.
5. To whom does Elijah write a letter before leaving with Mr. Leroy in chapter 19?
(b) Mrs. Bixby.
(c) His parents.
6. Why does Elijah's father instruct Cooter to go get Emma in chapter 11?
(a) To help Elijah's mother with lunch.
(b) To help with the work.
(c) To help coax the new refugees out of the woods.
(d) To bring them some water.
7. For what reason is Cooter being punished again in chapter 18?
(a) He stole some cookies.
(b) He has been acting up in school.
(c) He talked back to his mother.
(d) He did not eat his dinner.
8. Why does Elijah think that they should not have church on Sundays?
(a) It is supposed to be a day of rest.
(b) They praise God everyday, not just Sunday.
(c) He and his family should be allowed to sleep in.
(d) It bores him.
9. What did Mr. Tillman accuse Mr. Holton of stealing, precipitating the beating that ended his life?
10. What are Elijah and his father doing in the beginning of chapter 11?
(a) Mowing the grass.
(b) Cutting logs.
(c) Building a new shed.
(d) Uprooting stumps.
11. How do the villagers think the preacher won so much money from them as they explain it in chapter 20?
(a) He cheated.
(b) He could read their bluffs well.
(c) He had good luck.
(d) He was using some kind of system.
12. What does Elijah use to blow his nose in chapter 11 instead of blowing it onto the ground?
(a) His shirtsleeve.
(b) His shirttail.
(c) A leaf.
(d) His hanky.
13. How many passes in chapter 17 before the people of Buxton learn of Mr. Highgate's injuries?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
14. What did Frederick Douglass say the second hardest step to take toward freedom is?
(a) The last.
(b) Making the decision.
(c) The first.
(d) Deciding where to go.
15. What does the refugee woman have tied to her back that Elijah recognizes when she steps out of the woods in chapter 11?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Their food.
(c) The family pet.
(d) A baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah learn has happened to the postman in Chatham in chapter 13?
2. Who does Emma disrespectfully speak to before speaking to Elijah, as noted in chapter 10?
3. What does Mr. Highgate say that the preacher did with his old rusty pistol?
4. Where does Elijah meet Mr. Leroy and Mr. Polite in the beginning of chapter 15?
5. How much does Mrs. Holton give to Elijah for his help with work on her property?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)