|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Travis.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) Mr. Douglass.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
2. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
(a) The blackberry bushes.
(b) Lying on the beach.
(c) The stable.
(d) The water.
3. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) There are too many grownups.
(b) There is no one else there.
(c) The grownups seem excited about something.
(d) There are strange kids hanging around.
4. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
(b) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(c) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(d) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
5. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
(a) Spanish and Greek.
(b) French and Greek.
(c) Greek and Latin.
(d) Spanish and Latin.
6. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(b) Pound cake.
(d) Cherry pie.
7. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the preacher's church.
(b) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
(c) Helping his family.
(d) Helping the settlement.
8. Who is John Brown?
(a) An abolitionist.
(b) A politician.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A slave owner.
9. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not want to see Elijah again.
(b) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(c) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
(d) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
10. What kind of insect does the preacher claim in chapter 10 destroyed Abho's tribe?
(a) Bama bee.
11. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
12. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Does a juggling act.
(b) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(c) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
(d) Hypnotizes the preacher.
13. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
14. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
15. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
2. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
3. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
4. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
5. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)