|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was beaten to death.
(b) She was sold.
(c) She died in infancy.
(d) She was married to an Indian.
2. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) A trickster.
(b) A jackleg man of the Lord.
(c) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(d) A con man.
3. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) An overseer.
(b) An Indian.
(c) A slave.
(d) A white slave owner.
4. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
(a) Miss Duncan.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. Johnson.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
5. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
6. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
(a) The water.
(b) The blackberry bushes.
(c) Lying on the beach.
(d) The stable.
7. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(b) Madame Sabbar.
(c) The owner.
8. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was annoyed.
(b) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(c) He was tired.
(d) He was angry with his mother.
9. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Keeping the hate alive.
(b) Showing his own intelligence.
(c) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(d) Degrading their intelligence.
10. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
(a) He moved around the room excitedly as he spoke.
(b) He told them about it half a dozen times before that day.
(c) He underlined it three times.
(d) He allowed the students to come into the classroom early to prepare.
11. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
(a) He found it in the woods.
(b) He bought it in Detroit.
(c) He inherited from a dead brother.
(d) He took it as a tithe payment from a devoted Christian.
12. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He eats everything, even the bones.
(b) He only eats the head.
(c) He only eats the hard fins.
(d) He only eats the soft eyes.
13. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Stamp his feet.
(c) Wave his arms around.
14. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) There is no one else there.
(b) The grownups seem excited about something.
(c) There are too many grownups.
(d) There are strange kids hanging around.
15. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Does a juggling act.
(b) Hypnotizes the preacher.
(c) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(d) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
2. Who is John Brown?
3. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
4. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
5. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)