|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Selling souvenirs.
(b) Cooking in the mess tent.
(c) Caring for the animals.
(d) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
2. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(a) Madame Sabbar.
(b) The owner.
3. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
(c) New York.
4. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Fish and vegetables.
(c) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
(d) Beef and potatoes.
5. What kind of insect does the preacher claim in chapter 10 destroyed Abho's tribe?
(d) Bama bee.
6. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To disregard things adults have told him.
(b) To ignore his own instincts.
(c) To respect all adults except the preacher.
(d) To trust in something he cannot see.
7. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
8. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
(a) He will be fired and sent home.
(b) He will be sent back to America.
(c) He will be arrested for indecency.
(d) He will be tar and feathered.
9. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
(a) He never left his office till dark.
(b) He always worked later than everyone else.
(c) He always waited for Elijah to bring him his meals.
(d) He preferred to take his meals alone.
10. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
11. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
12. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
13. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A letter S.
(b) A cross.
(c) A ranch's brand.
(d) A letter T.
14. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Hypnotizes the preacher.
(b) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
(c) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(d) Does a juggling act.
15. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
2. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
3. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
4. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
5. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)