|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What things does Madame Sabbar shoot at in chapter 8?
(a) Stuffed animals.
(c) Candles and bulls-eye targets.
(d) Audience members.
2. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) It only takes one.
(b) One free releases them all.
(c) One helping to uplift all.
(d) One working for others to be free.
3. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
(a) Mrs. Johnson.
(b) Mrs. Holton.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Miss Duncan.
4. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
(a) He will be arrested for indecency.
(b) He will be sent back to America.
(c) He will be fired and sent home.
(d) He will be tar and feathered.
5. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The woods of Buxton.
(b) The rainforest of the Amazon.
(c) The jungles of Sweden.
(d) The forest of Arkansas.
6. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(c) Kind and gentle.
(d) Increasingly upset about something.
7. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
8. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(b) Beef and potatoes.
(c) Fish and vegetables.
(d) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
9. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
10. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(a) Lightening bolts.
(c) Laser beams.
11. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no lions in Sweden.
(b) There are no lions in Canada.
(c) There are no tigers in Canada.
(d) There are no tigers in Sweden.
12. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a new book.
(b) To trade for a fresh pie.
(c) To trade for a new magazine.
(d) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
13. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To trust in something he cannot see.
(b) To disregard things adults have told him.
(c) To respect all adults except the preacher.
(d) To ignore his own instincts.
14. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their paws.
(b) Their bellies.
(c) Their tails.
(d) Their tongues.
15. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Games.
(b) Carnival of Oddities.
(c) Carnival of Exotics.
(d) Carnival of Fascination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
2. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
3. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
4. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
5. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)