|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The best eating ones.
(b) The least annoying ones.
(c) The biggest and most onery ones.
(d) The noisiest ones.
2. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A rabid bear.
(b) A hoop snake.
(c) A snipe bird.
(d) A wild injun dog.
3. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) He has two sets of eyes.
(b) He has three sets of eyes.
(c) His eyes are a strange color.
(d) His eyes seem to see nothing.
4. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
(a) He does not express many opinions.
(b) He has lots of friends.
(c) He is kind and gentle.
(d) He does not talk much.
5. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(a) Pictures of lions.
6. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a new magazine.
(b) To trade for a new book.
(c) To trade for a fresh pie.
(d) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
7. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
8. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(a) The community eating pavilion.
(b) The dry goods store.
(d) The sawmill.
9. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is from Mississippi.
(d) He was dropped on his head as a child.
10. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
11. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(b) Increasingly upset about something.
(c) Kind and gentle.
12. Who is Mr. Segee?
(a) The stable owner.
(b) Elijah's teacher.
(c) Eliajah's father.
(d) The dry goods store owner.
13. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) French and Indian children.
(b) White and Chinese children.
(c) Indian and white children.
(d) French and white children.
14. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Miss Duncan.
(c) Mrs. Johnson.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
15. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
(a) Working and playing parts.
(b) Enjoying and hating parts.
(c) Working and enjoying parts.
(d) Enjoying and unfortunate parts.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
2. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
3. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
4. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
5. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)