|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) A white slave owner.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A slave.
2. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
3. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(b) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(c) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(d) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
4. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Travis.
(c) Mr. Douglass.
(d) Mr. Brown.
5. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Holton.
(d) His father.
6. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(b) Showing his own intelligence.
(c) Degrading their intelligence.
(d) Keeping the hate alive.
7. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) The preacher.
(d) Mr. Taylor.
8. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
(a) He always waited for Elijah to bring him his meals.
(b) He never left his office till dark.
(c) He preferred to take his meals alone.
(d) He always worked later than everyone else.
9. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was annoyed.
(b) He was tired.
(c) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(d) He was angry with his mother.
10. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) French and Indian children.
(b) Indian and white children.
(c) French and white children.
(d) White and Chinese children.
11. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
12. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Cooking in the mess tent.
(b) Selling souvenirs.
(c) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
(d) Caring for the animals.
13. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The grownups.
(b) The local mayor.
(c) The local bishop.
(d) The school board.
14. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
(d) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
15. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
(a) Spanish and Greek.
(b) Greek and Latin.
(c) Spanish and Latin.
(d) French and Greek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
2. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
3. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
4. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
5. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)