|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Elijah's father.
2. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
3. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To respect all adults except the preacher.
(b) To trust in something he cannot see.
(c) To ignore his own instincts.
(d) To disregard things adults have told him.
4. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not want to see Elijah again.
(b) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(c) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
(d) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
5. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) A white slave owner.
(b) An overseer.
(c) An Indian.
(d) A slave.
6. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(c) Brownie cookies.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
7. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was sold.
(b) She was beaten to death.
(c) She was married to an Indian.
(d) She died in infancy.
8. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Miss Duncan.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Johnson.
9. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Wave his arms around.
(c) Stamp his feet.
10. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was annoyed.
(b) He was angry with his mother.
(c) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(d) He was tired.
11. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Fish and vegetables.
(b) Beef and potatoes.
(c) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
12. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
(a) Prettying up.
(d) Beefing up.
13. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(b) To trade for a new magazine.
(c) To trade for a fresh pie.
(d) To trade for a new book.
14. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no lions in Sweden.
(b) There are no lions in Canada.
(c) There are no tigers in Canada.
(d) There are no tigers in Sweden.
15. Which type of animal does Elijah claim he prefers to ride in chapter 3?
(a) An ox.
(b) A horse.
(c) A mule.
(d) A bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
2. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
3. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
4. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
5. What is tithing?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)