|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Taylor.
(d) Elijah's father.
2. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(b) A jackleg man of the Lord.
(c) A con man.
(d) A trickster.
3. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(b) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(c) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
(d) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
4. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the preacher's church.
(b) Helping his family.
(c) Helping the settlement.
(d) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
5. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(c) Pictures of lions.
6. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
7. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
8. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
(b) Fish and vegetables.
(d) Beef and potatoes.
9. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) He has three sets of eyes.
(b) His eyes are a strange color.
(c) His eyes seem to see nothing.
(d) He has two sets of eyes.
10. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The best eating ones.
(b) The noisiest ones.
(c) The least annoying ones.
(d) The biggest and most onery ones.
11. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
(a) A mystery pistol and holder.
(b) A mystery lasso and shotgun.
(c) A fancy wallet.
(d) A fancy hat.
12. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(c) Increasingly upset about something.
(d) Kind and gentle.
13. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
14. What is tithing?
(a) A tip for the local preacher.
(b) A type of hymnal.
(c) A financial donation to the church.
(d) A type of prayer.
15. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Oddities.
(b) Carnival of Exotics.
(c) Carnival of Fascination.
(d) Carnival of Games.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Segee?
2. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
3. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
4. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
5. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)