|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Limited omniscient.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person.
3. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) There are strange kids hanging around.
(b) There are too many grownups.
(c) The grownups seem excited about something.
(d) There is no one else there.
4. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
5. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
6. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Mrs. Johnson.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Miss Duncan.
7. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Exotics.
(b) Carnival of Fascination.
(c) Carnival of Games.
(d) Carnival of Oddities.
8. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A cross.
(b) A ranch's brand.
(c) A letter S.
(d) A letter T.
9. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
10. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A passage from the Bible.
(b) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
(c) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(d) A letter his mother sent him.
11. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
12. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Wave his arms around.
(b) Stamp his feet.
13. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The least annoying ones.
(b) The best eating ones.
(c) The noisiest ones.
(d) The biggest and most onery ones.
14. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
(a) Easily broken.
15. What is tithing?
(a) A financial donation to the church.
(b) A type of prayer.
(c) A tip for the local preacher.
(d) A type of hymnal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
2. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
3. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
4. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
5. Who is John Brown?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)