|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(a) Madame Sabbar.
(b) The owner.
2. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Degrading their intelligence.
(b) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(c) Keeping the hate alive.
(d) Showing his own intelligence.
3. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
4. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
5. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
(a) He is kind and gentle.
(b) He does not talk much.
(c) He has lots of friends.
(d) He does not express many opinions.
6. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A letter S.
(b) A letter T.
(c) A cross.
(d) A ranch's brand.
7. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
(a) In the yard outside.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The dining room.
(d) At a group meeting place near the schoolyard.
8. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(b) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(c) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
(d) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
9. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no lions in Sweden.
(b) There are no tigers in Canada.
(c) There are no tigers in Sweden.
(d) There are no lions in Canada.
10. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Mr. Taylor.
(b) Elijah's father.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
11. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His ruler.
(b) His hand.
(c) His pointing stick.
(d) His belt.
12. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They tie.
(b) They decide not to keep score.
(d) The preacher.
13. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The biggest and most onery ones.
(b) The least annoying ones.
(c) The noisiest ones.
(d) The best eating ones.
14. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was beaten to death.
(b) She was married to an Indian.
(c) She was sold.
(d) She died in infancy.
15. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Brownie cookies.
(c) Gingerbread cookies.
(d) Walnut and sugar cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
2. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
3. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
4. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
5. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)