Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
2. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
(b) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(c) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
(d) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
3. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was married to an Indian.
(b) She died in infancy.
(c) She was beaten to death.
(d) She was sold.
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(a) The dry goods store.
(b) The community eating pavilion.
(d) The sawmill.
5. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Old Flapjack.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) The preacher.
6. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
7. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mrs. Highgate.
(b) Miss Duncan.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
8. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
9. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
10. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Brown.
(b) Mr. Douglass.
(c) Mr. Travis.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
11. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Holton.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
12. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
(b) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(c) Does a juggling act.
(d) Hypnotizes the preacher.
13. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
(a) He does not want the preacher to tell his mother he can throw rocks so accurately.
(b) He does not want the preacher to tell everyone in town how good he is.
(c) He does not want the preacher to know how good he is.
(d) He does not want to seem too perfect in case the preacher accused him of conjuring.
14. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(b) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(c) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
(d) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
15. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
(a) He dislikes studying the Bible.
(b) He dislikes studying math in Latin.
(c) He cannot play pranks on Mr. Travis.
(d) He cannot fool him into thinking he is sensical.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
2. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
3. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
4. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
5. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)