|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
2. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
(a) Snake tracks.
(b) Dog tracks.
(c) Bear tracks.
(d) Bird tracks.
3. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A letter his mother sent him.
(b) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(c) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
(d) A passage from the Bible.
4. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(a) Laser beams.
(c) Lightening bolts.
5. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) An overseer.
(b) A white slave owner.
(c) An Indian.
(d) A slave.
6. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was angry with his mother.
(b) He was tired.
(c) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(d) He was annoyed.
7. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(b) Stamp his feet.
(d) Wave his arms around.
8. In which direction does the preacher insist on going to look for the slave catchers in chapter 4?
9. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He only eats the hard fins.
(b) He eats everything, even the bones.
(c) He only eats the head.
(d) He only eats the soft eyes.
10. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
11. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their bellies.
(b) Their tongues.
(c) Their tails.
(d) Their paws.
12. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Miss Duncan.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
13. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
(a) He was dropped on his head as a child.
(b) He is from Mississippi.
(c) He drinks too much.
(d) He is old.
14. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
15. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The local bishop.
(b) The local mayor.
(c) The school board.
(d) The grownups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
2. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
3. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
4. What kind of insect does the preacher claim in chapter 10 destroyed Abho's tribe?
5. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)