|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They decide not to keep score.
(c) They tie.
(d) The preacher.
2. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
3. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Stamp his feet.
(c) Wave his arms around.
4. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was tired.
(b) He was annoyed.
(c) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(d) He was angry with his mother.
5. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(b) Hypnotizes the preacher.
(c) Does a juggling act.
(d) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
6. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their tongues.
(b) Their paws.
(c) Their tails.
(d) Their bellies.
7. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A rabid bear.
(b) A wild injun dog.
(c) A snipe bird.
(d) A hoop snake.
8. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
9. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
10. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
(a) Are you ready to expand your horizons?
(b) Are you ready to learn, are you ready to grow?
(c) Are you ready to prepare for your futures?
(d) Are you ready to learn, ready to increase your knowledge?
11. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Degrading their intelligence.
(b) Showing his own intelligence.
(c) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(d) Keeping the hate alive.
12. What is tithing?
(a) A type of prayer.
(b) A type of hymnal.
(c) A tip for the local preacher.
(d) A financial donation to the church.
13. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
14. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
(a) Bear tracks.
(b) Bird tracks.
(c) Snake tracks.
(d) Dog tracks.
15. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
(a) The one of Cooter and Mr. Travis.
(b) One about Old Flapjack.
(c) One of Mrs. Holton's savings to buy her husband.
(d) One about his mother's fear of toads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
2. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
3. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
4. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
5. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)