|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
2. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He eats everything, even the bones.
(b) He only eats the head.
(c) He only eats the soft eyes.
(d) He only eats the hard fins.
3. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The forest of Arkansas.
(b) The woods of Buxton.
(c) The jungles of Sweden.
(d) The rainforest of the Amazon.
4. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
5. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His belt.
(b) His pointing stick.
(c) His hand.
(d) His ruler.
6. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the settlement.
(b) Helping the preacher's church.
(c) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
(d) Helping his family.
7. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(b) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
(c) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
(d) He does not want to see Elijah again.
8. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was tired.
(b) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(c) He was angry with his mother.
(d) He was annoyed.
9. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) White and Chinese children.
(b) Indian and white children.
(c) French and white children.
(d) French and Indian children.
10. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
11. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Elijah's father.
12. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Keeping the hate alive.
(b) Degrading their intelligence.
(c) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(d) Showing his own intelligence.
13. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
(b) Prettying up.
(c) Beefing up.
14. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One helping to uplift all.
(b) One working for others to be free.
(c) It only takes one.
(d) One free releases them all.
15. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
2. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
3. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
4. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
5. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)