|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
2. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Beef and potatoes.
(c) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
(d) Fish and vegetables.
3. Which type of animal does Elijah claim he prefers to ride in chapter 3?
(a) A bull.
(b) A horse.
(c) An ox.
(d) A mule.
4. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
(a) The barn cat.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Segee.
(d) Old Flapjack.
5. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His hand.
(b) His belt.
(c) His ruler.
(d) His pointing stick.
6. What does Elijah think scares away the small fish and attracts the big fish?
(a) The way the horseflies drown in the water.
(b) The way the horseflies move on the water's surface.
(c) The way the horseflies fly above the water.
(d) The way the horseflies dive bomb the water.
7. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The biggest and most onery ones.
(b) The best eating ones.
(c) The least annoying ones.
(d) The noisiest ones.
8. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
9. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Chocolate chip cookies.
(b) Brownie cookies.
(c) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
10. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) The preacher.
(c) They tie.
(d) They decide not to keep score.
11. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) A slave.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A white slave owner.
12. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the settlement.
(b) Helping the preacher's church.
(c) Helping his family.
(d) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
13. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(b) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(c) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
(d) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
14. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
(a) A fancy hat.
(b) A fancy wallet.
(c) A mystery lasso and shotgun.
(d) A mystery pistol and holder.
15. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) Mrs. Highgate.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Miss Duncan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
3. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
4. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
5. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)