|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
(b) Prettying up.
(c) Beefing up.
2. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
3. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(a) Lightening bolts.
(d) Laser beams.
4. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Selling souvenirs.
(b) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
(c) Caring for the animals.
(d) Cooking in the mess tent.
5. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
(a) At a group meeting place near the schoolyard.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The dining room.
(d) In the yard outside.
6. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
7. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A rabid bear.
(b) A wild injun dog.
(c) A hoop snake.
(d) A snipe bird.
8. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To ignore his own instincts.
(b) To disregard things adults have told him.
(c) To respect all adults except the preacher.
(d) To trust in something he cannot see.
9. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) Indian and white children.
(b) White and Chinese children.
(c) French and Indian children.
(d) French and white children.
10. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) The preacher.
11. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(a) The community eating pavilion.
(c) The dry goods store.
(d) The sawmill.
12. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(b) A con man.
(c) A trickster.
(d) A jackleg man of the Lord.
13. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(b) Wave his arms around.
(c) Stamp his feet.
14. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His pointing stick.
(b) His belt.
(c) His hand.
(d) His ruler.
15. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no tigers in Canada.
(b) There are no tigers in Sweden.
(c) There are no lions in Canada.
(d) There are no lions in Sweden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
2. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
3. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
4. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
5. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)