|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
2. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
3. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
(a) Eight years ago.
(b) Four years ago.
(c) Fourteen years ago.
(d) Ten years ago.
4. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Beef and potatoes.
(b) Fish and vegetables.
(c) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
5. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) Mrs. Brown.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
6. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
(a) He underlined it three times.
(b) He told them about it half a dozen times before that day.
(c) He moved around the room excitedly as he spoke.
(d) He allowed the students to come into the classroom early to prepare.
7. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
8. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
9. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His hand.
(b) His ruler.
(c) His pointing stick.
(d) His belt.
10. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Segee.
(c) Old Flapjack.
(d) The preacher.
11. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) The preacher.
(b) They tie.
(d) They decide not to keep score.
12. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The rainforest of the Amazon.
(b) The woods of Buxton.
(c) The forest of Arkansas.
(d) The jungles of Sweden.
13. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
(b) Does a juggling act.
(c) Hypnotizes the preacher.
(d) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
14. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
(b) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(c) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(d) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
15. What kind of food did Frederick Douglass compare Elijah's birth to in chapter 2?
(b) Cherry pie.
(d) Pound cake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
2. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
3. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
4. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
5. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)