|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
(b) Caring for the animals.
(c) Cooking in the mess tent.
(d) Selling souvenirs.
2. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
3. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
4. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The local mayor.
(b) The school board.
(c) The local bishop.
(d) The grownups.
5. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their tongues.
(b) Their bellies.
(c) Their tails.
(d) Their paws.
6. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
7. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mr. Taylor.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
8. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) He has three sets of eyes.
(b) His eyes seem to see nothing.
(c) He has two sets of eyes.
(d) His eyes are a strange color.
9. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
(a) One about his mother's fear of toads.
(b) The one of Cooter and Mr. Travis.
(c) One about Old Flapjack.
(d) One of Mrs. Holton's savings to buy her husband.
10. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He eats everything, even the bones.
(b) He only eats the soft eyes.
(c) He only eats the hard fins.
(d) He only eats the head.
11. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) An Indian.
(b) A slave.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A white slave owner.
12. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
13. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
14. What does Elijah's family use their parlor for, as explained in chapter 5?
15. Who is Mr. Segee?
(a) The dry goods store owner.
(b) Eliajah's father.
(c) The stable owner.
(d) Elijah's teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of this novel?
2. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
3. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
4. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
5. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)