|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mrs. Highgate.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Miss Duncan.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
2. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(b) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
(c) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
(d) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
3. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
4. How did Mr. Travis behave, in Cooter's opinion, when they met the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(c) Kind and gentle.
(d) Increasingly upset about something.
5. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(b) The owner.
(d) Madame Sabbar.
6. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a fresh pie.
(b) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(c) To trade for a new magazine.
(d) To trade for a new book.
7. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was beaten to death.
(b) She died in infancy.
(c) She was married to an Indian.
(d) She was sold.
8. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
(a) He does not want the preacher to tell everyone in town how good he is.
(b) He does not want the preacher to know how good he is.
(c) He does not want to seem too perfect in case the preacher accused him of conjuring.
(d) He does not want the preacher to tell his mother he can throw rocks so accurately.
9. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
(a) Beef and potatoes.
(c) Fish and vegetables.
(d) Cakes, pies, and cookies.
10. What things does Madame Sabbar shoot at in chapter 8?
(a) Stuffed animals.
(c) Audience members.
(d) Candles and bulls-eye targets.
11. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(a) Wave his arms around.
(d) Stamp his feet.
12. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) He has two sets of eyes.
(b) His eyes are a strange color.
(c) His eyes seem to see nothing.
(d) He has three sets of eyes.
13. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Old Flapjack.
(c) Mr. Segee.
(d) The preacher.
14. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A hoop snake.
(b) A rabid bear.
(c) A snipe bird.
(d) A wild injun dog.
15. What is unusual, in Elijah's mind, about the way Mr. Leroy eats fish?
(a) He eats everything, even the bones.
(b) He only eats the soft eyes.
(c) He only eats the hard fins.
(d) He only eats the head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
2. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
3. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
4. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
5. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)