|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John Brown?
(a) A politician.
(b) A preacher.
(c) An abolitionist.
(d) A slave owner.
2. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
(a) One about Old Flapjack.
(b) The one of Cooter and Mr. Travis.
(c) One about his mother's fear of toads.
(d) One of Mrs. Holton's savings to buy her husband.
3. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Brown.
(c) Mr. Travis.
(d) Mr. Douglass.
4. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(b) He was tired.
(c) He was angry with his mother.
(d) He was annoyed.
5. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
6. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was beaten to death.
(b) She died in infancy.
(c) She was married to an Indian.
(d) She was sold.
7. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A bloody man.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A grey mule.
(d) A white horse.
8. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
9. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
(b) A passage from the Bible.
(c) A letter his mother sent him.
(d) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
10. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
(a) Carnival of Games.
(b) Carnival of Exotics.
(c) Carnival of Oddities.
(d) Carnival of Fascination.
11. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) The barn cat.
(c) Mr. Segee.
(d) Old Flapjack.
12. Who does Elijah drag into the house upon arriving in chapter 1 in order to protect them from the strange animal he and Cooter were tracking?
(a) Mrs. Holton.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
13. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(b) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
(c) He does not want to see Elijah again.
(d) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
14. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) It only takes one.
(b) One working for others to be free.
(c) One free releases them all.
(d) One helping to uplift all.
15. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(a) Lightening bolts.
(d) Laser beams.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
2. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
3. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
4. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
5. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)