|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say Elijah is doing by using a derogatory term to address himself and his classmates?
(a) Keeping the hate alive.
(b) Degrading their intelligence.
(c) Placing them back in the category of slave.
(d) Showing his own intelligence.
2. What is tithing?
(a) A type of hymnal.
(b) A type of prayer.
(c) A tip for the local preacher.
(d) A financial donation to the church.
3. Why does Elijah consider in chapter 3 missing some of the targets the preacher wants him to hit?
(a) He does not want the preacher to know how good he is.
(b) He does not want to seem too perfect in case the preacher accused him of conjuring.
(c) He does not want the preacher to tell everyone in town how good he is.
(d) He does not want the preacher to tell his mother he can throw rocks so accurately.
4. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
5. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
(a) There are no lions in Canada.
(b) There are no tigers in Sweden.
(c) There are no lions in Sweden.
(d) There are no tigers in Canada.
6. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) A white slave owner.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A slave.
7. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(b) Madame Sabbar.
(d) The owner.
8. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A grey mule.
(b) A bloody man.
(c) A white horse.
(d) A ghost.
9. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mr. Taylor.
(d) Elijah's father.
10. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
(a) The best eating ones.
(b) The least annoying ones.
(c) The noisiest ones.
(d) The biggest and most onery ones.
11. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Brownie cookies.
(b) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(c) Chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
12. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a new book.
(b) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(c) To trade for a fresh pie.
(d) To trade for a new magazine.
13. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
14. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
15. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To trust in something he cannot see.
(b) To disregard things adults have told him.
(c) To respect all adults except the preacher.
(d) To ignore his own instincts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
2. Who is John Brown?
3. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
4. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
5. What languages does Elijah claim to be able to speak in chapter 10?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)