|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
2. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
3. What does the mesmerist do after Samuel leaves the stage in chapter 9 that Elijah finds less impressive?
(a) Does a juggling act.
(b) Hypnotizes the preacher.
(c) Hypnotizes members of the audience.
(d) Attempts to conjure a rabbit out of a hat.
4. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
(a) The conjure man.
(b) The mesmerist.
5. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) French and Indian children.
(b) White and Chinese children.
(c) Indian and white children.
(d) French and white children.
6. Where did Cooter see Mr. Travis on the Saturday before the opening of chapter 6?
(a) The sawmill.
(b) The community eating pavilion.
(d) The dry goods store.
7. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
(a) He will be sent back to America.
(b) He will be tar and feathered.
(c) He will be fired and sent home.
(d) He will be arrested for indecency.
8. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(b) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(c) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(d) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
9. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
10. What are Mr. Brown and Mr. Leroy holding as Elijah comes out of the school in chapter 4 that scares Elijah?
11. What is shooting out of the eyes of the white man in the poster that Elijah sees in chapter 9 and says will haunt him all his life?
(a) Lightening bolts.
(b) Laser beams.
12. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
13. Which type of animal does Elijah claim he prefers to ride in chapter 3?
(a) A bull.
(b) A mule.
(c) A horse.
(d) An ox.
14. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(b) A con man.
(c) A trickster.
(d) A jackleg man of the Lord.
15. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
2. For whom did Mr. Leroy build a house all by himself?
3. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
4. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
5. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)