|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
2. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
(a) In the yard outside.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) At a group meeting place near the schoolyard.
(d) The dining room.
3. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) His eyes are a strange color.
(b) He has three sets of eyes.
(c) His eyes seem to see nothing.
(d) He has two sets of eyes.
4. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The local bishop.
(b) The local mayor.
(c) The school board.
(d) The grownups.
5. What kind of insect does the preacher claim in chapter 10 destroyed Abho's tribe?
(a) Bama bee.
6. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One helping to uplift all.
(b) One working for others to be free.
(c) One free releases them all.
(d) It only takes one.
7. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
(a) He inherited from a dead brother.
(b) He bought it in Detroit.
(c) He found it in the woods.
(d) He took it as a tithe payment from a devoted Christian.
8. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
9. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The jungles of Sweden.
(b) The forest of Arkansas.
(c) The woods of Buxton.
(d) The rainforest of the Amazon.
10. What has Elijah's father told him that former slaves carry that other, freeborn people do not?
(a) Horrific mental scars.
(b) An understanding of God's grace.
(c) The burden of hard work.
(d) A sense of self respect.
11. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
(a) He will be fired and sent home.
(b) He will be tar and feathered.
(c) He will be sent back to America.
(d) He will be arrested for indecency.
12. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
(a) To trade for a fresh bushel of berries.
(b) To trade for a new book.
(c) To trade for a fresh pie.
(d) To trade for a new magazine.
13. What does Mr. Travis hit the top of his desk with in chapter 6?
(a) His hand.
(b) His pointing stick.
(c) His belt.
(d) His ruler.
14. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A letter S.
(b) A letter T.
(c) A cross.
(d) A ranch's brand.
15. What kind of cookies does Elijah's mother tell him Mrs. Brown baked for him in chapter 1?
(a) Walnut and sugar cookies.
(b) Gingerbread cookies.
(c) Chocolate chip cookies.
(d) Brownie cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
2. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
3. What term does Elijah's mother use for exaggeration in story telling in chapter 2?
4. What name does the preacher give to Elijah in chapter 10?
5. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)