|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To ignore his own instincts.
(b) To disregard things adults have told him.
(c) To trust in something he cannot see.
(d) To respect all adults except the preacher.
2. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping his family.
(b) Helping the settlement.
(c) Helping the preacher's church.
(d) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
3. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One working for others to be free.
(b) One free releases them all.
(c) One helping to uplift all.
(d) It only takes one.
4. Who offers to take several of Elijah's fish to relieve him of his burden in chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mr. Waller.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Miss Duncan.
5. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
(a) One about Old Flapjack.
(b) One about his mother's fear of toads.
(c) One of Mrs. Holton's savings to buy her husband.
(d) The one of Cooter and Mr. Travis.
6. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
(a) The preacher.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Elijah's father.
7. What does MaWee ask Elijah to read to him in chapter 10?
(a) A letter his mother sent him.
(b) A passage from the Bible.
(c) A sign for Madame Sabbar's show.
(d) A contract he signed with the owner of the carnival.
8. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
9. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
(a) He dislikes studying the Bible.
(b) He cannot fool him into thinking he is sensical.
(c) He dislikes studying math in Latin.
(d) He cannot play pranks on Mr. Travis.
10. What does the preacher accuse Elijah of doing to catch fish in chapter 3?
11. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
(a) The owner.
(c) Madame Sabbar.
12. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
(a) He will be sent back to America.
(b) He will be fired and sent home.
(c) He will be tar and feathered.
(d) He will be arrested for indecency.
13. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
(b) Stamp his feet.
(c) Wave his arms around.
14. What does Elijah mean when he says fragile in chapter 2?
(d) Easily broken.
15. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elijah tell the reader in chapter 5 his mother does not cook well?
2. What kind of horseflies does the preacher tell everyone lives in Buxton?
3. Why does Mr. Leroy never eat until late in the day according to Elijah in chapter 5?
4. Who warns Elijah in the beginning of chapter 8 of the preacher's presence?
5. Who is John Brown?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)