|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom does Mr. Leroy work?
(a) Elijah's father.
(b) Mr. Taylor.
(c) Mrs. Brown.
(d) Mrs. Holton.
2. What did Elijah once overhear his father call the preacher?
(a) An abomination to the name of the Lord.
(b) A con man.
(c) A trickster.
(d) A jackleg man of the Lord.
3. Where do many of the people of Buxton take their meals, as explained in chapter 5?
(a) At a group meeting place near the schoolyard.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) In the yard outside.
4. Who first showed Elijah the lake where he fishes and swims?
(a) Mr. Segee.
(b) The preacher.
(c) Old Flapjack.
(d) Mr. Leroy.
5. What does Elijah say the other students must have found in chapter 10?
(a) A strange animal.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A new refugee from slavery.
(d) A dead animal.
6. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A cross.
(b) A letter T.
(c) A ranch's brand.
(d) A letter S.
7. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Mr. Leroy.
(b) Mrs. Brown.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
(d) Miss Duncan.
8. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
(a) Made his skin a healthy shade of brown.
(b) Made him skinny and sickly.
(c) Made his skin turn yellow.
(d) Made him strong and confident.
9. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
(a) Dog tracks.
(b) Bear tracks.
(c) Bird tracks.
(d) Snake tracks.
10. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) The grownups seem excited about something.
(b) There is no one else there.
(c) There are too many grownups.
(d) There are strange kids hanging around.
11. What kind of insect does the preacher claim in chapter 10 destroyed Abho's tribe?
(c) Bama bee.
12. Who told Elijah that swearing was a mistake you can't take back?
(a) Mr. Douglass.
(b) Mr. Travis.
(c) Mr. Leroy.
(d) Mr. Brown.
13. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping his family.
(b) Helping the preacher's church.
(c) Helping the settlement.
(d) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
14. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(b) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
(c) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(d) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
15. Who is John Brown?
(a) A preacher.
(b) An abolitionist.
(c) A slave owner.
(d) A politician.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does chapter 3 take place?
2. What story is Elijah telling Mr. Leroy in chapter 7?
3. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
4. Where did Mr. Travis grow up?
5. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)