|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) There are strange kids hanging around.
(b) There are too many grownups.
(c) There is no one else there.
(d) The grownups seem excited about something.
2. How many bears did Elijah picture in the woods around Buxton due to his father's strict warnings about the area?
(a) So many he would trip over them as he walked through the trees.
(b) So few a small group of men could kill them all.
(c) So many they blocked the light from passing through the trees.
(d) Not enough to piece together a single fur coat.
3. What things does MaWee do for the carnival that he thinks Elijah has come to replace him at in chapter 10?
(a) Cooking in the mess tent.
(b) Selling souvenirs.
(c) Cleaning and working Madame Sabbar's show.
(d) Caring for the animals.
4. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
(a) Four years ago.
(b) Eight years ago.
(c) Ten years ago.
(d) Fourteen years ago.
5. What are Cooter and Elijah looking at in chapter 1 when the preacher comes upon them?
(a) Dog tracks.
(b) Bear tracks.
(c) Snake tracks.
(d) Bird tracks.
6. Where did the preacher tell people he got the fancy pistol he carries on his hip, as Elijah explains it in chapter 4?
(a) He found it in the woods.
(b) He inherited from a dead brother.
(c) He took it as a tithe payment from a devoted Christian.
(d) He bought it in Detroit.
7. What is tithing?
(a) A financial donation to the church.
(b) A tip for the local preacher.
(c) A type of hymnal.
(d) A type of prayer.
8. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
(a) He moved around the room excitedly as he spoke.
(b) He allowed the students to come into the classroom early to prepare.
(c) He told them about it half a dozen times before that day.
(d) He underlined it three times.
9. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The school board.
(b) The grownups.
(c) The local bishop.
(d) The local mayor.
10. What part of their own bodies does the preacher claim the animal Cooter and Elijah are tracking in chapter 1 often bite?
(a) Their tails.
(b) Their bellies.
(c) Their tongues.
(d) Their paws.
11. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One free releases them all.
(b) It only takes one.
(c) One helping to uplift all.
(d) One working for others to be free.
12. What does Mr. Leroy say his son's name is in chapter 7?
13. What is Elijah's symbolic last name?
14. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She died in infancy.
(b) She was married to an Indian.
(c) She was beaten to death.
(d) She was sold.
15. Who is John Brown?
(a) An abolitionist.
(b) A politician.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A slave owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
2. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
3. Which type of animal does Elijah claim he prefers to ride in chapter 3?
4. Who chastises Elijah and Cooter in chapter 1 after they put a frog in the knitting of Elijah's mother?
5. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)