|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
(a) Fourteen years ago.
(b) Four years ago.
(c) Eight years ago.
(d) Ten years ago.
2. What weapon does Madame Sabbar use in her act in chapter 8?
3. What does Cooter express as odd as he and Elijah wait outside the school on Monday morning in chapter 10?
(a) The grownups seem excited about something.
(b) There are strange kids hanging around.
(c) There is no one else there.
(d) There are too many grownups.
4. What does Elijah see wandering out of the woods in chapter 4 two days after the scare of the approaching slave catchers?
(a) A grey mule.
(b) A white horse.
(c) A bloody man.
(d) A ghost.
5. What is the creed of Buxton settlement?
(a) One helping to uplift all.
(b) One working for others to be free.
(c) It only takes one.
(d) One free releases them all.
6. What does Elijah say the other students must have found in chapter 10?
(a) A new refugee from slavery.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) A dead body.
(d) A strange animal.
7. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
(a) He was dropped on his head as a child.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is from Mississippi.
(d) He drinks too much.
8. What type of animal does the preacher claim Elijah and Cooter are tracking in chapter 1?
(a) A snipe bird.
(b) A rabid bear.
(c) A wild injun dog.
(d) A hoop snake.
9. Who does Mr. Leroy tell Elijah in chapter 7 cut off his little finger of his left hand?
(a) A white slave owner.
(b) An Indian.
(c) An overseer.
(d) A slave.
10. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Limited omniscient.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
11. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(b) He was tired.
(c) He was angry with his mother.
(d) He was annoyed.
12. Who does Cooter point out in chapter 6 have not been checking up on Mr. Travis?
(a) The school board.
(b) The grownups.
(c) The local bishop.
(d) The local mayor.
13. Who is John Brown?
(a) A slave owner.
(b) An abolitionist.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A politician.
14. What is Mr. Leroy's scar on his chest in the shape of?
(a) A letter T.
(b) A ranch's brand.
(c) A letter S.
(d) A cross.
15. What lesson was the class in the middle of in chapter 4 when the children were escorted home in small groups?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
2. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
3. What does Elijah think in chapter 6 will happen to Mr. Travis after he teaches the students about a family breeding contest?
4. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
5. Who is Elijah surprised to find the other students surrounding in chapter 10?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)