|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elijah's mother tell him dies a thousand deaths in chapter 1?
2. What tribe does the preacher suggest Elijah was once a member of in chapter 10?
3. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) White and Chinese children.
(b) French and Indian children.
(c) French and white children.
(d) Indian and white children.
4. In what country does Elijah live with his family?
5. What excuse does Elijah make at the beginning of chapter 7 for his treatment of Mr. Leroy?
(a) He was angry with his mother.
(b) He was frustrated with Cooter.
(c) He was annoyed.
(d) He was tired.
6. What does Mr. Travis ask the class each morning as he begins the days lessons?
(a) Are you ready to learn, are you ready to grow?
(b) Are you ready to learn, ready to increase your knowledge?
(c) Are you ready to expand your horizons?
(d) Are you ready to prepare for your futures?
7. Why does Elijah's mother warn him not to stay out too late in chapter 5?
(a) So he can have dessert with the familiy.
(b) So he will can visit with the neighbors before bed.
(c) So he will be home in time to say his prayers.
(d) So he will not be too tired to do his chores early in the morning.
8. Who lives next door to Mrs. Holton in Buxton?
(a) Miss Duncan.
(b) Mr. Leroy.
(c) Mrs. Highgate.
(d) Mrs. Brown.
9. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
(a) Ten years ago.
(b) Four years ago.
(c) Eight years ago.
(d) Fourteen years ago.
10. What is the point of view of this novel?
(a) Third person.
(b) Second person.
(c) First person.
(d) Limited omniscient.
11. How does Elijah know in chapter 6 that Mr. Travis feels strongly about the subject for the day?
(a) He underlined it three times.
(b) He moved around the room excitedly as he spoke.
(c) He told them about it half a dozen times before that day.
(d) He allowed the students to come into the classroom early to prepare.
12. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
(a) He cannot fool him into thinking he is sensical.
(b) He dislikes studying math in Latin.
(c) He dislikes studying the Bible.
(d) He cannot play pranks on Mr. Travis.
13. What is the set in Madame Sabbar's stage designed to look like?
(a) The forest of Arkansas.
(b) The jungles of Sweden.
(c) The rainforest of the Amazon.
(d) The woods of Buxton.
14. Where does Flapjack spend all his time while Elijah fishes in chapter 3?
(a) Lying on the beach.
(b) The stable.
(c) The blackberry bushes.
(d) The water.
15. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They tie.
(b) The preacher.
(d) They decide not to keep score.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does chapter 1 take place?
2. Why does Elijah set aside two of his newly caught fist for Mrs. Brown in chapter 3?
3. Why does Elijah say he thinks Mr. Leroy must be a good listener in chapter 7?
4. What does Elijah say in chapter 3 the preacher likes to do when he is talking?
5. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)