|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elijah notice about the mesmerist's eyes the upset him in chapter 9?
(a) He has two sets of eyes.
(b) His eyes are a strange color.
(c) He has three sets of eyes.
(d) His eyes seem to see nothing.
2. In a contest between Elijah throwing rocks and the preacher shooting his pistol, who wins?
(a) They decide not to keep score.
(b) The preacher.
(c) They tie.
3. How long ago does Charles Mondial Vaughn say he was knighted in chapter 10?
(a) Ten years ago.
(b) Eight years ago.
(c) Fourteen years ago.
(d) Four years ago.
4. What does Elijah's mother tell him at the end of chapter 2 that leaves him confused?
(a) To trust in something he cannot see.
(b) To disregard things adults have told him.
(c) To ignore his own instincts.
(d) To respect all adults except the preacher.
5. What type of material does the mesmerist convince Samuel his clothing is made out of while he is hypnotized in chapter 9?
6. What happened to Mr. Leroy's daughter?
(a) She was married to an Indian.
(b) She was beaten to death.
(c) She died in infancy.
(d) She was sold.
7. What does the preacher always tote as mentioned by Elijah in chapter 1?
(a) A mystery lasso and shotgun.
(b) A mystery pistol and holder.
(c) A fancy hat.
(d) A fancy wallet.
8. Why does Philip Wise tell the children that Frederick Douglass refuses to come back to Buxton in chapter 4?
(a) He does not want to be thrown up on again.
(b) He does not approve of the way the people of Buxton share their school with whites.
(c) He does not like eating the food served in Buxton.
(d) He does not want to see Elijah again.
9. What does Elijah think smoking has done to Samuel's body as he watches him undress in chapter 9?
(a) Made him skinny and sickly.
(b) Made him strong and confident.
(c) Made his skin turn yellow.
(d) Made his skin a healthy shade of brown.
10. Why does Elijah dislike the fact that Mr. Travis teaches both school and Sunday school?
(a) He cannot play pranks on Mr. Travis.
(b) He cannot fool him into thinking he is sensical.
(c) He dislikes studying math in Latin.
(d) He dislikes studying the Bible.
11. What excuse does Elijah's mother make for the bad jokes Mr. Segee makes?
(a) He is from Mississippi.
(b) He is old.
(c) He drinks too much.
(d) He was dropped on his head as a child.
12. What does the preacher say Elijah will be doing by attending the carnival in chapter 8?
(a) Helping the settlement.
(b) Helping the preacher's church.
(c) Helping the slaves still attempting to escape the south.
(d) Helping his family.
13. What type of fruit does Elijah's mother ask him to pick in chapter 2?
14. What is Elijah told to throw stones at to demonstrate his skills in chapter 10?
(a) Pictures of lions.
15. What does Elijah say the other students must have found in chapter 10?
(a) A new refugee from slavery.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A strange animal.
(d) A dead animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the preacher say he is looking for in chapter 10 when he approaches the tents?
2. Who does Elijah say shares the classroom with the black children of Buxton in chapter 4?
3. In what two parts does Elijah separate his chores?
4. What does one of the farmer's in line for Madame Sabbar's show insist is wrong with the barker's claims about her skills?
5. What is the full title of the carnival that is coming to Chatham?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)