Chapter 1 and 2
* Elijah and his friend, Cooter, set out to solve a mystery by following some odd tracks in the sand.
* The preacher tells them the tracks are from a dangerous snake. Elijah is scared and goes home.
* Elijah and Cooter play a trick on Elijah's mother by putting a frog in her knitting.
* Elijah's mother tricks him by putting a snake in the cookie jar.
* Elijah is sad his mother would want to make him fragile.
* Elijah does not want anyone to know his embarrassment or it will become a big story like when he threw up on Frederick Douglass.
* Frederick Douglass and John Brown came to Buxton to celebrate Elijah when he was a baby for being the first baby born in the free settlement of Buxton.
* Elijah does his chores after school, doing the unpleasant ones first.
* Elijah collects horseflies to go fishing with...
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)