|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eduard envision Otto will be raised?
(a) Ottilie will raise him, and Eduard will be his father in truth.
(b) Charlotte will raise him, and the Major will act as his father.
(c) Eduard will be a very close, caring father for his son.
(d) Charlotte and Ottilie will share the burden of caring for him.
2. In the wake of the tragedy, what is Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship with each other like?
(a) They walk around in a daze never noticing each other.
(b) They grow cold and distant, and they constantly plot against one another.
(c) They appear reasonable and good willed, but cannot repair their friendship.
(d) They rekindle their friendship and grow even closer than before.
3. What is the general substance of Ottilie's second journal entry?
(a) Her love for Eduard.
(b) The state of Charlotte's marriage.
(c) The transience of ownership of art.
(d) The dichotomy of good and evil.
4. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
(a) By fainting dead away and waking in a trance.
(b) She begins to hotly berate Eduard for his foolish choices.
(c) With an unusual but familiar gesture that is clearly a refusal.
(d) She flies into his arms and they kiss passionately.
5. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
(a) The impulse toward suicide, which is sinful and perilous.
(b) The idea that her world can once again be make whole.
(c) The dangers of letting go of the object of one's passion.
(d) The desire to run away and start a new life, which is difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Eduard make to the Major?
2. What event marks the newborn's baptism with foreboding?
3. When is the only time Ottilie does not take Otto with her?
4. When Eduard leaves the place where he had been waiting for the Major, where does he go?
5. Where does Eduard go once he is honorably discharged from the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
2. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
3. Whom does Eduard meet when he walks through his own estate, and what is the significance of their meeting?
4. What event at the end of Part II, Chapter 8, is saturated with both happiness and grave foreboding, and how?
5. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
6. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
7. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
8. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
9. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
10. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)