|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
(a) The dangers of letting go of the object of one's passion.
(b) The impulse toward suicide, which is sinful and perilous.
(c) The idea that her world can once again be make whole.
(d) The desire to run away and start a new life, which is difficult.
2. What decision does Ottilie make that breaks her usual care and good sense?
(a) To lay Otto down on the shoreline and walk alone.
(b) To leave Otto in the care of a young village girl.
(c) To row across the lake with Otto aboard.
(d) To take Otto up a very steep and narrow cliffside path.
3. How does Eduard envision Otto will be raised?
(a) Charlotte will raise him, and the Major will act as his father.
(b) Charlotte and Ottilie will share the burden of caring for him.
(c) Ottilie will raise him, and Eduard will be his father in truth.
(d) Eduard will be a very close, caring father for his son.
4. How does Charlotte respond to the Major's hopeful question about their future together?
(a) "You and Ottilie may still have a future; Eduard and I have nothing but our past."
(b) "We have not deserved to be unhappy, but neither have we deserved to be happy together."
(c) "All of us but one deserve the future you hold so dear."
(d) "When my heart is no longer heavy, then we shall see if it can once more be happy."
5. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
(a) The architect.
(b) The Baroness.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The General.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in general, describes Luciane's personality?
2. Which representation of an artistic work results in the most applause for Luciane?
3. What is the general substance of the note Eduard writes at the place where he awaits Ottilie?
4. What thought about Ottilie's future preoccupies Charlotte?
5. What is the title of the story the foreign visitor tells Charlotte and Ottilie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
2. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
3. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
4. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
5. What is the first faux pas the foreign visitor commits, and why is it a social flub?
6. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
7. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
8. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
9. Where does Eduard go to meet Ottilie, and what are the circumstances of their meeting?
10. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)