|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what condition does Ottilie feel she could forgive herself?
(a) If Charlotte and Eduard also forgive her.
(b) If she considers the tragedy a blessing in disguise.
(c) If she replays the tragedy over in her head enough times to purge her guilt.
(d) If she renounces her passion for Eduard completely.
2. What conflicting feelings continuously torment Ottilie?
(a) Fear and delight.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Anger and acceptance.
(d) Living and dying.
3. Where does Eduard ride to in order to await Ottilie's arrival at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 16?
(a) The inn.
(b) The pavilion.
(c) The lakeshore.
(d) The farmstead.
4. What is the general substance of Ottilie's second journal entry?
(a) The transience of ownership of art.
(b) Her love for Eduard.
(c) The dichotomy of good and evil.
(d) The state of Charlotte's marriage.
5. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
(a) She begins to hotly berate Eduard for his foolish choices.
(b) She flies into his arms and they kiss passionately.
(c) With an unusual but familiar gesture that is clearly a refusal.
(d) By fainting dead away and waking in a trance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in general, describes Luciane's personality?
2. Which character comes more into the forefront of Charlotte and Ottilie's life after Eduard's departure?
3. Which of Luciane's "experiments in moral regeneration" goes badly wrong?
4. What faux pas does the foreign visitor's companion notice?
5. How did Charlotte find out Eduard had joined the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
2. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
3. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
4. How does the novel end?
5. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
6. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
7. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
8. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
9. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
10. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)