|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the house guest's suggested remedy for children who do not follow in their parents' footsteps?
(a) Threatenting to disown the child unless he or she capitulates.
(b) Allowing the child to follow his or her own unique path in life.
(c) Punishing the child until he or she agrees to be like his or her parents.
(d) Making the child an equal partner in the parent's endeavors.
2. What seemingly miraculous event occurs during Ottilie's funeral?
(a) Nanni falls from a garret but is uninjured.
(b) Eduard tries to stab himself but the blade cannot pierce his skin.
(c) Charlotte learns she is pregnant again.
(d) The Major saves a young woman from drowning.
3. Which unexpected visitor arrives during the performance of the artistic activity planned by the architect?
(a) The headmistress.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The schoolmaster.
(d) The mason.
4. To what does the narrator compare the common themes running through Ottilie's journals?
(a) To a garden in which patterns of hedges repeat themselves.
(b) To a garment with a regular weave of fine fabric.
(c) To a novel with a specific trope repeating through it.
(d) To a naval rope with a single strand of red thread.
5. How does Eduard view the tragedy?
(a) As an omen that his love for Ottilie is terribly wrong.
(b) As a chance to rekindle and strengthen his marriage.
(c) As the worst possible circumstance to ever befall him.
(d) As an obstacle to his happiness that has been removed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Major?
2. What effect does the foreign visitor to the estate have on Ottilie, when he expounds upon the uselessness of over improving the land?
3. What are Eduard's plans for Charlotte's future?
4. Which vocation does Ottilie decide she wishes to pursue?
5. Upon what, to Ottilie, does her future rest?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)