|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
(a) He accidentally locks himself in the room which Ottilie will be occupying.
(b) He neglects to sign it, so Ottilie will not know who wrote it.
(c) He forgets that due to a change of plans, Ottilie will no longer arrive at that place.
(d) He accidentally leaves the note in the wrong room.
2. What is the premise of the story told by the foreign visitor?
(a) A young couple spends many happy days together, but on the eve of their wedding tragedy strikes both of them.
(b) Two young people who are incompatible as youths find themselves attracted to one another as they become adults.
(c) An elderly couple that gets pleasure by meddling in others' lives finds that it is prudent to mind one's own business.
(d) A young peasant feels he is destined to marry a fine lady, and he accomplishes seemingly impossible tasks in order to win her heart.
3. What faux pas does the foreign visitor's companion notice?
(a) His friend has crossed an invisible cultural boundary.
(b) His friend mistranslated a normal word into a profanity.
(c) His friend has inadvertently saddened and tormented Ottilie.
(d) His friend has distinctly offended his host's family history.
4. To what does the narrator compare the common themes running through Ottilie's journals?
(a) To a garden in which patterns of hedges repeat themselves.
(b) To a novel with a specific trope repeating through it.
(c) To a naval rope with a single strand of red thread.
(d) To a garment with a regular weave of fine fabric.
5. Where does Eduard ride to in order to await Ottilie's arrival at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 16?
(a) The pavilion.
(b) The inn.
(c) The farmstead.
(d) The lakeshore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
2. What does Charlotte agree to, in the midst of the tragedy?
3. Upon what, to Ottilie, does her future rest?
4. What does Luciane enjoy doing with her many articles of clothing?
5. What new feature of Eduard's character makes him more like Ottilie?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
2. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
3. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
4. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
5. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
6. What event at the end of Part II, Chapter 8, is saturated with both happiness and grave foreboding, and how?
7. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
8. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
9. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
10. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)