|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event endangers the protagonists of the story?
(a) A carriage robbery.
(b) An attempted murder.
(c) A blazing house fire.
(d) A river yacht crash.
2. What experiment does the foreign visitor's companion try on Charlotte and Ottilie?
(a) The leverage trial.
(b) The scales hypothesis.
(c) The pendulum experiment.
(d) The gravity investigation.
3. How does Eduard envision Otto will be raised?
(a) Eduard will be a very close, caring father for his son.
(b) Charlotte and Ottilie will share the burden of caring for him.
(c) Ottilie will raise him, and Eduard will be his father in truth.
(d) Charlotte will raise him, and the Major will act as his father.
4. Where does Eduard ride to in order to await Ottilie's arrival at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 16?
(a) The farmstead.
(b) The inn.
(c) The pavilion.
(d) The lakeshore.
5. How does Ottilie respond to Luciane's arrival?
(a) By plotting revenge against Luciane for past slights.
(b) By going calmly and cheerfully to work.
(c) By sulking in jealousy.
(d) By becoming more talkative and energetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Eduard leaves the place where he had been waiting for the Major, where does he go?
2. What seemingly miraculous event occurs during Ottilie's funeral?
3. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
4. Why does Ottilie avoid a path by the side of the lake?
5. What are the conditions on which Charlotte offers herself to the Major?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
2. What plans does the architect have for the church?
3. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
4. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
5. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
6. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
7. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
8. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
9. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
10. How does the novel end?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)