|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signal does Eduard arrange with the Major to notify him of his plan's success?
(a) The shrill blast of a trumpet.
(b) Smoke signals from a fire on the ridge.
(c) A messenger boy sent on a horse.
(d) Cannon fire or fireworks.
2. What specific form of memorializing does Charlotte admit having an aversion to?
(a) Elegiac poetry.
(c) Stone busts.
3. What is the general substance of Ottilie's second journal entry?
(a) The state of Charlotte's marriage.
(b) The dichotomy of good and evil.
(c) The transience of ownership of art.
(d) Her love for Eduard.
4. Which vocation does Ottilie decide she wishes to pursue?
(a) To become a great artist and painter.
(b) To teach at the boarding school.
(c) To become a governess to a wealthy family.
(d) To become a maid.
5. Where does Eduard wait, at least for a little while, while the Major relays Eduard's plan to Charlotte?
(a) The farmstead.
(b) The pavilion.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eduard's plan for his own future?
2. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
3. What was the architect's reason for not wishing his drawings to be shown to the whole company, as Luciane had entreated and Ottilie had encouraged?
4. What is the general content of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
5. How does Ottilie react in the wake of the tragedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first faux pas the foreign visitor commits, and why is it a social flub?
2. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
3. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
4. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
5. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
6. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
7. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
8. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
9. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
10. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)