|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ottilie's relationship with the architect like?
(a) She disagrees with him about crucial design elements.
(b) She treats him as if he were her elder brother.
(c) She is madly in love with him.
(d) She easily gets frustrated with his incompetence.
2. How does Ottilie react in the wake of the tragedy?
(a) She swears to atone for her sins by renouncing Eduard completely.
(b) She acquiesces to Eduard's request for her hand in marriage.
(c) She immediately jumps into the lake and kills herself.
(d) She vows to become a nun and do only God's work from then on.
3. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
(a) He accidentally locks himself in the room which Ottilie will be occupying.
(b) He neglects to sign it, so Ottilie will not know who wrote it.
(c) He accidentally leaves the note in the wrong room.
(d) He forgets that due to a change of plans, Ottilie will no longer arrive at that place.
4. What creatures does Luciane find amusing?
5. What new feature of Eduard's character makes him more like Ottilie?
(a) His handwriting becomes more like Ottilie's.
(b) He loses his voice.
(c) He suffers from one-sided headaches.
(d) He eats less and less.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eduard ride to in order to await Ottilie's arrival at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 16?
2. What is the general mood of the household when all four protagonists live there together again?
3. What event marks the newborn's baptism with foreboding?
4. How does the story told by the foreign visitor end?
5. What are Eduard's plans for Charlotte's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
2. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
3. What is the first faux pas the foreign visitor commits, and why is it a social flub?
4. What plans does the architect have for the church?
5. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
6. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and Ottilie act once they are all living in the same house together again?
7. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
8. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
9. How does the novel end?
10. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)