|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proposition does Eduard make to the Major?
(a) The Major should pretend to love Charlotte, then ruthlessly abandon her to make her pay for her sins.
(b) Ottilie should become the object of the Major's direct amorous attentions in order to throw Charlotte off of Eduard's plan.
(c) The Major should facilitate Eduard's kidnapping of and absconding with Ottilie.
(d) Eduard and Charlotte divorce so the Major can marry Charlotte and Eduard can marry Ottilie.
2. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
(a) The desire to run away and start a new life, which is difficult.
(b) The impulse toward suicide, which is sinful and perilous.
(c) The idea that her world can once again be make whole.
(d) The dangers of letting go of the object of one's passion.
3. What is the general mood of the household when all four protagonists live there together again?
(a) The mood is cold and everyone is suspicious of everyone else.
(b) It is almost, but not quite, like the serenity and tranquility of how things once were.
(c) All four protagonists find themselves completely contented with the new situation.
(d) The atmosphere in the household is lively and filled with positive ambiance.
4. How does Ottilie respond to Luciane's arrival?
(a) By plotting revenge against Luciane for past slights.
(b) By becoming more talkative and energetic.
(c) By sulking in jealousy.
(d) By going calmly and cheerfully to work.
5. What faux pas does the foreign visitor's companion notice?
(a) His friend has inadvertently saddened and tormented Ottilie.
(b) His friend has crossed an invisible cultural boundary.
(c) His friend mistranslated a normal word into a profanity.
(d) His friend has distinctly offended his host's family history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event endangers the protagonists of the story?
2. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry?
3. What is the nature of the solicitor's visit to Charlotte?
4. What is the architect reluctant to show publicly?
5. What is the house guest's suggested remedy for children who do not follow in their parents' footsteps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
2. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
3. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
4. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
5. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
6. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
7. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
8. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
9. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
10. Whom does Eduard meet when he walks through his own estate, and what is the significance of their meeting?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)