|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the solicitor's visit to Charlotte?
(a) The solicitor's client has decided to sue Charlotte for a large sum related to damaged property.
(b) The solicitor and his client disagree with Charlotte's decision to move the graves in the churchyard.
(c) The solicitor comes to advise Charlotte with regards to her pending divorce from Eduard.
(d) The solicitor's errand is to serve Charlotte with a court summons from a merchant in the village.
2. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
(a) With an unusual but familiar gesture that is clearly a refusal.
(b) She flies into his arms and they kiss passionately.
(c) By fainting dead away and waking in a trance.
(d) She begins to hotly berate Eduard for his foolish choices.
3. What does Charlotte agree to, in the midst of the tragedy?
(a) Taking her own life and thereby atoning for her sins.
(b) Eduard's request for a divorce.
(c) Suing the person responsible for the tragedy.
(d) Leaving the estate and live in a convent.
4. Which representation of an artistic work results in the most applause for Luciane?
(a) Handel's "Messiah."
(b) Mozart's "The Magic Flute."
(c) Jan Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring."
(d) Gerald Terborch's "Instruction Paternelle."
5. What was the architect's reason for not wishing his drawings to be shown to the whole company, as Luciane had entreated and Ottilie had encouraged?
(a) Another guest expresses his desire to show his own collection of sculpture.
(b) He is modest to the point of embarrassment about his accomplishments.
(c) Even cultivated people handle delicate works of art roughly.
(d) He fears his plagiarism of the original drawings will be discovered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eduard view the tragedy?
2. What is the general mood of the household when all four protagonists live there together again?
3. How does Eduard envision Otto will be raised?
4. What artistic activity does the architect plan for Ottilie to be centrally involved in?
5. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
2. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
3. What is the first faux pas the foreign visitor commits, and why is it a social flub?
4. What is the nature of the "pendulum experiment" that one of the foreign visitors proposes, why does he propose it, and what are its results?
5. What does Ottilie decide to embark upon as a career, and why?
6. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
7. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
8. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
9. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
10. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)