|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte agree to, in the midst of the tragedy?
(a) Eduard's request for a divorce.
(b) Suing the person responsible for the tragedy.
(c) Leaving the estate and live in a convent.
(d) Taking her own life and thereby atoning for her sins.
2. How does Eduard's part in the story end?
(a) He decides to rejoin the military and dies in battle.
(b) He rekindles his love for Charlotte but never forgets Ottilie.
(c) He is found dead one day by no apparent cause.
(d) He blinds himself and wanders the roads as a beggar.
3. Whose observations on the landscape of the estate serve to enrich Charlotte and Ottilie's experience of the land?
(a) The Frenchman's
(b) The Englishman's.
(c) The Italian's.
(d) Herr Mittler's.
4. What effect does the foreign visitor to the estate have on Ottilie, when he expounds upon the uselessness of over improving the land?
(a) Ottilie agrees wholeheartedly with the man.
(b) Ottilie finds herself questioning her design sense.
(c) Ottilie is disillusioned and in agony.
(d) Ottilie feels offended by the man's presumption.
5. How does Ottilie respond to Luciane's arrival?
(a) By becoming more talkative and energetic.
(b) By sulking in jealousy.
(c) By plotting revenge against Luciane for past slights.
(d) By going calmly and cheerfully to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eduard go once he is honorably discharged from the military?
2. What signal does Eduard arrange with the Major to notify him of his plan's success?
3. What is the title of the story the foreign visitor tells Charlotte and Ottilie?
4. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
5. What is the nature of the solicitor's visit to Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
2. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
3. What plans does the architect have for the church?
4. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
5. What does Ottilie decide to embark upon as a career, and why?
6. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
7. What is the nature of the "pendulum experiment" that one of the foreign visitors proposes, why does he propose it, and what are its results?
8. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
9. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
10. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)