|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps decorate the building which has been designated for restoration?
2. What is the new house guest's philosophy on education?
(a) Boys should be taught to be servants, and girls should be taught to be mothers.
(b) Learning does not stop when an individual leaves the schoolhouse.
(c) The best way to teach young people is through rote recitation.
(d) Girls are more apt to learn new things, while boys are more apt to retain knowledge.
3. How does Eduard view the tragedy?
(a) As a chance to rekindle and strengthen his marriage.
(b) As an obstacle to his happiness that has been removed.
(c) As the worst possible circumstance to ever befall him.
(d) As an omen that his love for Ottilie is terribly wrong.
4. Whom does Eduard meet unexpectedly as he walks?
5. What was the architect's reason for not wishing his drawings to be shown to the whole company, as Luciane had entreated and Ottilie had encouraged?
(a) Even cultivated people handle delicate works of art roughly.
(b) He is modest to the point of embarrassment about his accomplishments.
(c) He fears his plagiarism of the original drawings will be discovered.
(d) Another guest expresses his desire to show his own collection of sculpture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
2. Where does Eduard ride to in order to await Ottilie's arrival at the beginning of Part II, Chapter 16?
3. What event endangers the protagonists of the story?
4. Which character comes more into the forefront of Charlotte and Ottilie's life after Eduard's departure?
5. What is the principle task of the household Ottilie has undertaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
2. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
3. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
4. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
5. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
6. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
7. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
8. How does the novel end?
9. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
10. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)