|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motion does Ottilie make that distinctly translates her desires for the future?
(a) Covering her face in her hands and dressing in a nun's black habit.
(b) Going to the Major and kneeling submissively before him.
(c) Gesturing toward the cliff face and indicating she will jump off.
(d) Seizing Eduard's and Charlotte's hands and bringing them together.
2. What is the long-term plan of the new house guest?
(a) To marry and to take over the management of the boarding school.
(b) To travel the world and write a memoir.
(c) To take a high class position at the royal court.
(d) To find a wife and settle down to a farmer's lifestyle.
3. Which representation of an artistic work results in the most applause for Luciane?
(a) Handel's "Messiah."
(b) Gerald Terborch's "Instruction Paternelle."
(c) Mozart's "The Magic Flute."
(d) Jan Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring."
4. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
(a) The impulse toward suicide, which is sinful and perilous.
(b) The desire to run away and start a new life, which is difficult.
(c) The idea that her world can once again be make whole.
(d) The dangers of letting go of the object of one's passion.
5. What gift do Charlotte and Ottilie give the architect?
(a) A pair of drafter's compasses.
(b) A waistcoat.
(c) A pair of gloves.
(d) An engraved goblet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which unexpected visitor arrives during the performance of the artistic activity planned by the architect?
2. What does Luciane enjoy doing with her many articles of clothing?
3. What activity of Luciane's, meant to amuse the company, ends up with Luciane looking foolish?
4. What event marks the newborn's baptism with foreboding?
5. What is Ottilie's relationship with the architect like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
2. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
3. Summarize the reason for the solicitor's visit to Charlotte, which is related at the beginning of Part II.
4. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
5. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
6. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
7. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
8. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
9. Where does Eduard go to meet Ottilie, and what are the circumstances of their meeting?
10. What is the nature of the "pendulum experiment" that one of the foreign visitors proposes, why does he propose it, and what are its results?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)