|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Ottilie make that breaks her usual care and good sense?
(a) To row across the lake with Otto aboard.
(b) To take Otto up a very steep and narrow cliffside path.
(c) To lay Otto down on the shoreline and walk alone.
(d) To leave Otto in the care of a young village girl.
2. What is the house guest's suggested remedy for children who do not follow in their parents' footsteps?
(a) Threatenting to disown the child unless he or she capitulates.
(b) Punishing the child until he or she agrees to be like his or her parents.
(c) Making the child an equal partner in the parent's endeavors.
(d) Allowing the child to follow his or her own unique path in life.
3. What is the title of the story the foreign visitor tells Charlotte and Ottilie?
(a) "The Sensible Old Couple."
(b) "The Wayward Young Neighbors."
(c) "The Unfortunate Young Lovers."
(d) "The Passionate Shepherd and Lady."
4. What event precipitates the arrival of Charlotte's daughter at the estate?
(a) Ottilie's death and her memorial services.
(b) The birth of Charlotte and Eduard's first child.
(c) Luciane's engagement to a wealthy young man.
(d) Luciane has been kicked out of the boarding school.
5. What are the conditions on which Charlotte offers herself to the Major?
(a) The Major must duel to the death with Eduard, thus proving the power of his love for her.
(b) She and the Major must be married right away so that she can try to have another child soon.
(c) Ottilie must never be turned out of their house but can never socialize with them again.
(d) Ottilie must be willing to unite with Eduard, and that Eduard and the Major leave the house for a time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Eduard make to the Major?
2. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry?
3. Whom do Otto's facial features resemble?
4. To what does the narrator compare the common themes running through Ottilie's journals?
5. What building does the architect persuade Charlotte to restore?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
2. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
3. Summarize the reason for the solicitor's visit to Charlotte, which is related at the beginning of Part II.
4. How does the novel end?
5. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
6. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
7. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
8. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
9. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
10. Where does Eduard go to meet Ottilie, and what are the circumstances of their meeting?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)