|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator consider to be the conflicting sides of Luciane's character?
(a) Although Luciane can easily win people over, she can just as easily offend and alienate them.
(b) While Luciane is beautiful on the outside, her personality shows that she is evil.
(c) While Luciane is homely and plain, her generosity and charity make her seem angelic to others.
(d) Although Luciane treats Ottilie with respect and deference, she secretly resents her.
2. Upon what, to Ottilie, does her future rest?
(a) Her calling to care for Otto.
(b) The strength of Eduard's love for her.
(c) Her own courage and strength of will.
(d) Charlotte's decision regarding Eduard's plan.
3. Whose observations on the landscape of the estate serve to enrich Charlotte and Ottilie's experience of the land?
(a) Herr Mittler's.
(b) The Frenchman's
(c) The Italian's.
(d) The Englishman's.
4. What is the general substance of the note Eduard writes at the place where he awaits Ottilie?
(a) Whether Ottilie can be his, and whether he can see her in person.
(b) Eduard threatens Ottilie if she does not capitulate to him.
(c) It is a suicide note full of remorse and shame.
(d) The note details his baroque plans to spirit Ottilie away from the estate.
5. What activity of Luciane's, meant to amuse the company, ends up with Luciane looking foolish?
(a) Her idea of a game that involves the whole company.
(b) Her performance on the guitar and her accompanying singing.
(c) Her dance performance in which she is accompanied by a harpist.
(d) Her arguments in a carefully staged debate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event endangers the protagonists of the story?
2. In the wake of the tragedy, what is Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship with each other like?
3. Where does Eduard wait, at least for a little while, while the Major relays Eduard's plan to Charlotte?
4. Under what condition does Ottilie feel she could forgive herself?
5. What effect does the foreign visitor to the estate have on Ottilie, when he expounds upon the uselessness of over improving the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
2. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
3. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
4. What event at the end of Part II, Chapter 8, is saturated with both happiness and grave foreboding, and how?
5. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
6. What does Ottilie decide to embark upon as a career, and why?
7. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and Ottilie act once they are all living in the same house together again?
8. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
9. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
10. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)