|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Charlotte find out Eduard had joined the military?
(a) She happens to hear the local gossip while in town.
(b) She reads his name and his circumstances in a gazette.
(c) She receives a letter from him explaining his decision.
(d) An old family friend tells her he saw Eduard after a battle.
2. What decision does Ottilie make that breaks her usual care and good sense?
(a) To leave Otto in the care of a young village girl.
(b) To lay Otto down on the shoreline and walk alone.
(c) To take Otto up a very steep and narrow cliffside path.
(d) To row across the lake with Otto aboard.
3. In the wake of the tragedy, what is Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship with each other like?
(a) They rekindle their friendship and grow even closer than before.
(b) They appear reasonable and good willed, but cannot repair their friendship.
(c) They walk around in a daze never noticing each other.
(d) They grow cold and distant, and they constantly plot against one another.
4. What proposition does Eduard make to the Major?
(a) The Major should facilitate Eduard's kidnapping of and absconding with Ottilie.
(b) Ottilie should become the object of the Major's direct amorous attentions in order to throw Charlotte off of Eduard's plan.
(c) The Major should pretend to love Charlotte, then ruthlessly abandon her to make her pay for her sins.
(d) Eduard and Charlotte divorce so the Major can marry Charlotte and Eduard can marry Ottilie.
5. What is Ottilie's relationship with the architect like?
(a) She is madly in love with him.
(b) She easily gets frustrated with his incompetence.
(c) She treats him as if he were her elder brother.
(d) She disagrees with him about crucial design elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the story the foreign visitor tells Charlotte and Ottilie?
2. What tragedy results from Ottilie's decision to go against what she knows is safe?
3. Which representation of an artistic work results in the most applause for Luciane?
4. What activity does the Count suggest would benefit from Luciane's personality?
5. What was the architect's reason for not wishing his drawings to be shown to the whole company, as Luciane had entreated and Ottilie had encouraged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general substance of Ottilie's fourth journal entry?
2. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
3. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
4. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
5. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
6. What event at the end of Part II, Chapter 8, is saturated with both happiness and grave foreboding, and how?
7. How does Eduard respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
8. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
9. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
10. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)