|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eduard's state of mind after Ottilie refuses to be his?
(a) He is contemplative and begins scheming his next move to win her.
(b) He suddenly sees his wrongs and his future clearly and calmly.
(c) He is in the grips of a frantic passion and is not thinking straight.
(d) He realizes he can have both Charlotte and Ottilie, so he is happy.
2. How does Eduard envision Otto will be raised?
(a) Eduard will be a very close, caring father for his son.
(b) Ottilie will raise him, and Eduard will be his father in truth.
(c) Charlotte and Ottilie will share the burden of caring for him.
(d) Charlotte will raise him, and the Major will act as his father.
3. Whose observations on the landscape of the estate serve to enrich Charlotte and Ottilie's experience of the land?
(a) The Italian's.
(b) The Englishman's.
(c) The Frenchman's
(d) Herr Mittler's.
4. What is the architect reluctant to show publicly?
(a) His diary entries which reflect his mental state.
(b) His architectural plans for the restoration of a building.
(c) His poems about Ottilie and Charlotte.
(d) His collection of drawings and sketches.
5. Upon what date does the completion of the restoration of the building occur?
(a) The anniversary of Eduard and Charlotte's wedding.
(b) The eve of Eduard's birthday.
(c) The eve of the Captain's birthday.
(d) The anniversary of Ottilie's arrival at the estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building does the architect persuade Charlotte to restore?
2. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
3. How does Ottilie react in the wake of the tragedy?
4. What is the long-term plan of the new house guest?
5. What is the principle task of the household Ottilie has undertaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Eduard go to meet Ottilie, and what are the circumstances of their meeting?
2. What does Ottilie decide to embark upon as a career, and why?
3. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
4. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
5. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
6. What plans does the architect have for the church?
7. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
8. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
9. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
10. What decision does Ottilie make that she normally never would, and what are the results of it?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)