|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Charlotte agitated by the foreign visitor's tale?
(a) She wonders whether something like the story will happen to her.
(b) She finds the use of humor in the story to be in bad taste.
(c) She knows that the true story behind the tale involved the Captain.
(d) She feels that the visitor told the tale to deliberately upset her.
2. Which character comes more into the forefront of Charlotte and Ottilie's life after Eduard's departure?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The architect.
(c) The mason.
(d) The parson.
3. What event precipitates the arrival of Charlotte's daughter at the estate?
(a) Luciane's engagement to a wealthy young man.
(b) Ottilie's death and her memorial services.
(c) Luciane has been kicked out of the boarding school.
(d) The birth of Charlotte and Eduard's first child.
4. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
(a) The idea that her world can once again be make whole.
(b) The dangers of letting go of the object of one's passion.
(c) The desire to run away and start a new life, which is difficult.
(d) The impulse toward suicide, which is sinful and perilous.
5. What is the house guest's suggested remedy for children who do not follow in their parents' footsteps?
(a) Threatenting to disown the child unless he or she capitulates.
(b) Punishing the child until he or she agrees to be like his or her parents.
(c) Making the child an equal partner in the parent's endeavors.
(d) Allowing the child to follow his or her own unique path in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the foreign visitor to the estate have on Ottilie, when he expounds upon the uselessness of over improving the land?
2. Who helps decorate the building which has been designated for restoration?
3. When is the only time Ottilie does not take Otto with her?
4. What is the title of the story the foreign visitor tells Charlotte and Ottilie?
5. What seemingly miraculous event occurs during Ottilie's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans does the architect have for the church?
2. What does Eduard plan with the Major regarding their relationships with Charlotte and Ottilie?
3. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
4. Describe the circumstances of Ottilie's death.
5. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
6. What is the substance of Eduard's proposition to the Major, and the Major's response to it?
7. What foreign visitor comes to the estate, and how do his views impact Charlotte and Ottilie?
8. Where does Eduard go to meet Ottilie, and what are the circumstances of their meeting?
9. What is problematic about Luciane's interactions with other people, and what is one example of this?
10. How does Charlotte discover Eduard has rejoined the military, and how does she respond to this news?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)