|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What portion of the building being restored will receive special attention through painted decorations?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The sunroom.
(d) The drawing room.
2. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) The General.
(c) The architect.
(d) The Captain.
3. Who helps decorate the building which has been designated for restoration?
4. Where does Eduard wait, at least for a little while, while the Major relays Eduard's plan to Charlotte?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The pavilion.
(c) The farmstead.
(d) The inn.
5. What creatures does Luciane find amusing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflicting feelings continuously torment Ottilie?
2. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
3. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
4. What decision does Ottilie make that breaks her usual care and good sense?
5. What event endangers the protagonists of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and Ottilie act once they are all living in the same house together again?
2. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry, at the end of Part II, Chapter 2?
3. How does Charlotte and Ottilie's relationship change after Otto's death?
4. Summarize the reason for the solicitor's visit to Charlotte, which is related at the beginning of Part II.
5. What amusement does the Count suggest should occupy Luciane's energies?
6. In Part II, Chapter 9, where does Charlotte decide to live for a short time, and why?
7. How does the novel end?
8. What plans does the architect have for the church?
9. Briefly describe Luciane, Charlotte's daughter from her first marriage.
10. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)