|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
(a) He accidentally locks himself in the room which Ottilie will be occupying.
(b) He forgets that due to a change of plans, Ottilie will no longer arrive at that place.
(c) He accidentally leaves the note in the wrong room.
(d) He neglects to sign it, so Ottilie will not know who wrote it.
2. Where does Eduard go once he is honorably discharged from the military?
(a) The pavilion.
(b) The main house of the estate.
(c) The farmstead.
(d) The chapel.
3. What activity does the Count suggest would benefit from Luciane's personality?
(a) Singing famous and worshipful psalms.
(b) Studying the piano to become a famous musician.
(c) Concentrating on painting and drawing.
(d) Impersonating tableaux from famous paintings.
4. Who is the Major?
(a) A former flame of the Baroness's.
(b) Formerly the Captain.
(c) A cousin of Eduard's.
(d) A friend of the Count's.
5. How does Eduard's part in the story end?
(a) He blinds himself and wanders the roads as a beggar.
(b) He decides to rejoin the military and dies in battle.
(c) He rekindles his love for Charlotte but never forgets Ottilie.
(d) He is found dead one day by no apparent cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Eduard's plans for Charlotte's future?
2. Whose observations on the landscape of the estate serve to enrich Charlotte and Ottilie's experience of the land?
3. What is the premise of the story told by the foreign visitor?
4. What faux pas does the foreign visitor's companion notice?
5. Where does Eduard wait, at least for a little while, while the Major relays Eduard's plan to Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Luciane's experiments in "moral regeneration" goes wrong, which Charlotte hears about after Luciane leaves the estate?
2. What are Charlotte's views of memorials?
3. What is the schoolmaster's general philosophy on teaching?
4. What is the first faux pas the foreign visitor commits, and why is it a social flub?
5. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and Ottilie act once they are all living in the same house together again?
6. What does Ottilie decide to embark upon as a career, and why?
7. Briefly summarize the story the foreign visitor tells to Charlotte and Ottilie.
8. What plans does the architect have for the church?
9. How does Ottilie respond to the tragedy involving herself and Otto?
10. How does Charlotte respond to the tragedy involving Ottilie and Otto?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)