|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who "shudders in horror" at the tragedy and why?
(a) Charlotte because she cannot even imagine the tragedy.
(b) Ottilie because she feels she is at fault for the tragedy.
(c) Eduard because he knows Ottilie may have died too.
(d) The Major because he sees his own likeness in the dead child.
2. What two things does Ottilie refuse to do?
(a) Paint and keep house.
(b) Love again and forgive Charlotte.
(c) Speak and be Eduard's wife.
(d) Eat and read.
3. Who is the Major?
(a) A friend of the Count's.
(b) A former flame of the Baroness's.
(c) A cousin of Eduard's.
(d) Formerly the Captain.
4. What event precipitates the arrival of Charlotte's daughter at the estate?
(a) Luciane has been kicked out of the boarding school.
(b) The birth of Charlotte and Eduard's first child.
(c) Luciane's engagement to a wealthy young man.
(d) Ottilie's death and her memorial services.
5. How does Ottilie respond to Eduard's note?
(a) She begins to hotly berate Eduard for his foolish choices.
(b) By fainting dead away and waking in a trance.
(c) She flies into his arms and they kiss passionately.
(d) With an unusual but familiar gesture that is clearly a refusal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in general, describes Luciane's personality?
2. What gift do Charlotte and Ottilie give the architect?
3. Whom do Otto's facial features resemble?
4. What experiment does the foreign visitor's companion try on Charlotte and Ottilie?
5. What is the principle task of the household Ottilie has undertaken?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)