|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the premise of the story told by the foreign visitor?
(a) Two young people who are incompatible as youths find themselves attracted to one another as they become adults.
(b) An elderly couple that gets pleasure by meddling in others' lives finds that it is prudent to mind one's own business.
(c) A young peasant feels he is destined to marry a fine lady, and he accomplishes seemingly impossible tasks in order to win her heart.
(d) A young couple spends many happy days together, but on the eve of their wedding tragedy strikes both of them.
2. What is Eduard's state of mind after Ottilie refuses to be his?
(a) He realizes he can have both Charlotte and Ottilie, so he is happy.
(b) He is contemplative and begins scheming his next move to win her.
(c) He suddenly sees his wrongs and his future clearly and calmly.
(d) He is in the grips of a frantic passion and is not thinking straight.
3. How does Ottilie react in the wake of the tragedy?
(a) She swears to atone for her sins by renouncing Eduard completely.
(b) She immediately jumps into the lake and kills herself.
(c) She acquiesces to Eduard's request for her hand in marriage.
(d) She vows to become a nun and do only God's work from then on.
4. What, in general, describes Luciane's personality?
(a) She is overly critical of everybody, directly to their faces.
(b) She is energetic and attractive but can be annoying and ignorant of others' desires or needs.
(c) She is highly intelligent and beautiful and has a soft, compliant personality.
(d) She is reticent and argumentative, and people find her hard to get along with.
5. What tragedy results from Ottilie's decision to go against what she knows is safe?
(a) Otto is crushed in a fall.
(b) Otto is accidentally poisoned.
(c) Otto drowns in the lake.
(d) Otto is killed by wolves.
6. Whom does Ottilie summon for help as the tragedy unfolds?
(b) The Major.
(c) The doctor.
7. What is Ottilie's relationship with the architect like?
(a) She treats him as if he were her elder brother.
(b) She is madly in love with him.
(c) She easily gets frustrated with his incompetence.
(d) She disagrees with him about crucial design elements.
8. How does Ottilie respond to Luciane's arrival?
(a) By plotting revenge against Luciane for past slights.
(b) By going calmly and cheerfully to work.
(c) By becoming more talkative and energetic.
(d) By sulking in jealousy.
9. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
(a) He accidentally leaves the note in the wrong room.
(b) He forgets that due to a change of plans, Ottilie will no longer arrive at that place.
(c) He accidentally locks himself in the room which Ottilie will be occupying.
(d) He neglects to sign it, so Ottilie will not know who wrote it.
10. What is the general substance of the note Eduard writes at the place where he awaits Ottilie?
(a) Eduard threatens Ottilie if she does not capitulate to him.
(b) Whether Ottilie can be his, and whether he can see her in person.
(c) It is a suicide note full of remorse and shame.
(d) The note details his baroque plans to spirit Ottilie away from the estate.
11. When is the only time Ottilie does not take Otto with her?
(a) When she tidies up her wing of the house.
(b) When she walks into town.
(c) When she rows out on the lake.
(d) When she strolls through the woods.
12. What portion of the building being restored will receive special attention through painted decorations?
(a) The sunroom.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The drawing room.
13. What artistic activity does the architect plan for Ottilie to be centrally involved in?
(a) Exhibiting her artwork at the royal court.
(b) Reciting a series of Petrarchan sonnets.
(c) Hosting and starring in a pianoforte recital.
(d) Portraying Mary in a tableau of the birth of Jesus.
14. Which of Luciane's "experiments in moral regeneration" goes badly wrong?
(a) Her endeavors to patch up Charlotte and Eduard's relationship.
(b) Her efforts to introduce a foreign friend into high society.
(c) Her education of a young peasant boy.
(d) Her attempt to re-socialize a mad young woman.
15. Who is the Major?
(a) A former flame of the Baroness's.
(b) Formerly the Captain.
(c) A cousin of Eduard's.
(d) A friend of the Count's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eduard's plan for his own future?
2. What do the Major and Eduard first do when they are reunited?
3. What thought about Ottilie's future preoccupies Charlotte?
4. What event marks the newborn's baptism with foreboding?
5. What does Charlotte warn Ottilie about, during their discussion of Ottilie's preferred vocation?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)