|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the narrator compare the common themes running through Ottilie's journals?
(a) To a garden in which patterns of hedges repeat themselves.
(b) To a novel with a specific trope repeating through it.
(c) To a naval rope with a single strand of red thread.
(d) To a garment with a regular weave of fine fabric.
2. What mistake does Eduard make while leaving the note?
(a) He accidentally leaves the note in the wrong room.
(b) He neglects to sign it, so Ottilie will not know who wrote it.
(c) He forgets that due to a change of plans, Ottilie will no longer arrive at that place.
(d) He accidentally locks himself in the room which Ottilie will be occupying.
3. Whose observations on the landscape of the estate serve to enrich Charlotte and Ottilie's experience of the land?
(a) Herr Mittler's.
(b) The Frenchman's
(c) The Englishman's.
(d) The Italian's.
4. What is the house guest's suggested remedy for children who do not follow in their parents' footsteps?
(a) Allowing the child to follow his or her own unique path in life.
(b) Threatenting to disown the child unless he or she capitulates.
(c) Punishing the child until he or she agrees to be like his or her parents.
(d) Making the child an equal partner in the parent's endeavors.
5. What tragedy results from Ottilie's decision to go against what she knows is safe?
(a) Otto is killed by wolves.
(b) Otto is accidentally poisoned.
(c) Otto drowns in the lake.
(d) Otto is crushed in a fall.
6. What signal does Eduard arrange with the Major to notify him of his plan's success?
(a) A messenger boy sent on a horse.
(b) Cannon fire or fireworks.
(c) The shrill blast of a trumpet.
(d) Smoke signals from a fire on the ridge.
7. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) The architect.
(c) The General.
(d) The Captain.
8. Who is the Major?
(a) Formerly the Captain.
(b) A former flame of the Baroness's.
(c) A friend of the Count's.
(d) A cousin of Eduard's.
9. What two things does Ottilie refuse to do?
(a) Speak and be Eduard's wife.
(b) Eat and read.
(c) Paint and keep house.
(d) Love again and forgive Charlotte.
10. Which vocation does Ottilie decide she wishes to pursue?
(a) To become a governess to a wealthy family.
(b) To teach at the boarding school.
(c) To become a great artist and painter.
(d) To become a maid.
11. What is the general substance of Ottilie's first journal entry?
(a) The contradictions inherent in social intercourse.
(b) The nature of portraiture and other memorials.
(c) Her own role in the running of the household.
(d) The significance of Charlotte's silences.
12. What proposition does Eduard make to the Major?
(a) Eduard and Charlotte divorce so the Major can marry Charlotte and Eduard can marry Ottilie.
(b) The Major should facilitate Eduard's kidnapping of and absconding with Ottilie.
(c) The Major should pretend to love Charlotte, then ruthlessly abandon her to make her pay for her sins.
(d) Ottilie should become the object of the Major's direct amorous attentions in order to throw Charlotte off of Eduard's plan.
13. Where does Eduard wait, at least for a little while, while the Major relays Eduard's plan to Charlotte?
(a) The inn.
(b) The farmstead.
(c) The pavilion.
(d) The chapel.
14. Which unexpected visitor arrives during the performance of the artistic activity planned by the architect?
(a) The mason.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The headmistress.
(d) The schoolmaster.
15. What new feature of Eduard's character makes him more like Ottilie?
(a) He eats less and less.
(b) He loses his voice.
(c) His handwriting becomes more like Ottilie's.
(d) He suffers from one-sided headaches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Eduard's plans for Charlotte's future?
2. What decision does Ottilie make that breaks her usual care and good sense?
3. What creatures does Luciane find amusing?
4. What is Eduard's plan for his own future?
5. What activity of Luciane's, meant to amuse the company, ends up with Luciane looking foolish?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)