|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapters 15-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the premise of the story told by the foreign visitor?
(a) An elderly couple that gets pleasure by meddling in others' lives finds that it is prudent to mind one's own business.
(b) A young peasant feels he is destined to marry a fine lady, and he accomplishes seemingly impossible tasks in order to win her heart.
(c) A young couple spends many happy days together, but on the eve of their wedding tragedy strikes both of them.
(d) Two young people who are incompatible as youths find themselves attracted to one another as they become adults.
2. In what activities do Charlotte and Ottilie engage the village girls?
(a) In sewing, knitting, and beautifying the village.
(b) In rebuilding the poorhouse for the town's beggars.
(c) In learning to read, write, and do basic mathematics.
(d) In organizing political protests of their own working conditions.
3. What is the second main project the male guest of the estate proposes to his hosts?
(a) To make an inventory of the estate.
(b) To rebuild the ruined church in the village.
(c) To make a map of the entire estate.
(d) To set sail around the European continent.
4. What final decision does Eduard make at the end of Part I?
(a) To rejoin the military.
(b) To run away with Ottilie.
(c) To return to Charlotte.
(d) To commit suicide.
5. Which vocation does Ottilie decide she wishes to pursue?
(a) To become a great artist and painter.
(b) To become a governess to a wealthy family.
(c) To become a maid.
(d) To teach at the boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What provokes Eduard to cry out that Ottilie loves him?
2. Upon what date does the completion of the restoration of the building occur?
3. What effect does the foreign visitor to the estate have on Ottilie, when he expounds upon the uselessness of over improving the land?
4. What is the architect reluctant to show publicly?
5. Who comes to visit the estate after the foundation stone ceremony?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)