|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapters 15-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eduard propose to sell to pay for the main project undertaken by the household?
(a) The farmstead in the woods.
(b) The main house itself.
(c) The chapel in the village.
(d) The southern portion of land.
2. What request does Eduard make of the person who visits him in his solitude?
(a) This person's help in obtaining a divorce.
(b) For a loan so he may buy a new house.
(c) For the person's forgiveness and blessing.
(d) That this person take a letter to Ottilie.
3. What is the general mood of the household when all four protagonists live there together again?
(a) All four protagonists find themselves completely contented with the new situation.
(b) The mood is cold and everyone is suspicious of everyone else.
(c) The atmosphere in the household is lively and filled with positive ambiance.
(d) It is almost, but not quite, like the serenity and tranquility of how things once were.
4. What new feature of Eduard's character makes him more like Ottilie?
(a) He eats less and less.
(b) His handwriting becomes more like Ottilie's.
(c) He loses his voice.
(d) He suffers from one-sided headaches.
5. Who had encouraged the house guest to come to the estate?
(a) The Baroness.
(b) The architect.
(c) The Captain.
(d) The General.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift do Charlotte and Ottilie give the architect?
2. On which procession of people does the new house guest, who arrived during Ottilie's artistic activity, exercise his craft and calling?
3. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
4. What tragedy results from Ottilie's decision to go against what she knows is safe?
5. How does Ottilie react in the wake of the tragedy?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)