|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapters 16-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
(a) The captain gets the boat stuck and carries Charlotte to safety.
(b) The captain kisses Charlotte to thank her for securing him a job.
(c) Charlotte confesses her dark desires to the captain.
(d) Eduard and the captain duel over Ottilie's affections.
2. How did the master of the estate grow up?
(a) Spoiled; he got everything he wanted.
(b) Lonely; he made no friends.
(c) Impoverished; he lived on the streets.
(d) Ignored; he was the youngest of many siblings.
3. At whom does Eduard lose his temper while making the new plans for the estate?
(a) A parson.
(b) A beggar.
(c) A village girl.
(d) A captain.
4. What is the general content of the postscript of the headmistress's letter to the mistress of the estate?
(a) Praise for Charlotte.
(b) Criticism of Luciane.
(c) Praise for Maria.
(d) Criticism of Ottilie.
5. What subject do Eduard and his male guest discuss in the night?
(a) Their old amorous adventures at court.
(b) The questionable politics of the Captain.
(c) Their history working for the provincial governor.
(d) The fleeting constancy of their wives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ottilie see as her "everything?"
2. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
3. What does the male guest criticize about the estate?
4. What building has been completed for the celebration planned by Eduard and the Captain?
5. What prevents Eduard from going through with his plan to keep Ottilie always near him?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)