|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapters 16-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Eduard live while away from his estate?
(a) In the newly constructed pavilion.
(b) In a room above the town inn.
(c) In a wing of the Count's mansion.
(d) In a farmstead house.
2. How do Eduard, Charlotte, and the captain speak of the concept of elective affinities?
(a) In terms of apples, oranges, bananas, and pears.
(b) In terms of A, B, C, and D.
(c) In terms of men, women, children, and animals.
(d) In terms of 1, 2, 3, and 4.
3. What letter does the Captain keep secret from his friends?
(a) One from the mason to the architect concerning the fleecing of Eduard's estate.
(b) One from an officer which reactivates the Captain's military service.
(c) One from the Count containing a most promising job offer.
(d) One from Ottilie to Eduard that is salacious in its content.
4. Who is married to the owner of the estate?
5. What is notable about the letters Eduard writes to Ottilie?
(a) Charlotte intercepts the letters and answers them in Ottilie's handwriting.
(b) Eduard also writes responses and signs them with Ottilie's name.
(c) The content of the letters is illegible, mad gibberish.
(d) The letters always come back in the post as "undeliverable."
Short Answer Questions
1. During a stroll around his property with the captain and Charlotte, what activity does Eduard suddenly change his mind about engaging in, and why?
2. What significant physical condition is revealed about Charlotte in Part I, Chapter 18?
3. What incites Eduard to make a passionate visit to Charlotte?
4. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
5. What is the name of Charlotte's daughter?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)