|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity does the male guest propose to his hosts upon his first look at the lands around the estate?
(a) That the trio make a journey to the court.
(b) That the trio hire a friend of his for the gardening.
(c) That the trio make a detailed survey of the land.
(d) That the trio return to the comfort of the main house.
2. How does the narrator describe Charlotte when Eduard comes to make love to her?
(a) As a "virginal and innocent" girl.
(b) As a "hotly passionate" experienced woman.
(c) As a "tempestuous and violent" harridan.
(d) As a "secretly shy" young lover.
3. What service does Ottilie volunteer to do for Eduard?
(a) Finish the lengthy inventory of the household.
(b) Make the final copy of the farmstead sale contract.
(c) Repair his many torn articles of clothing.
(d) Finalize the design of the chapel.
4. What language are the household servants ignorant of?
5. What activity are the married couple primarily engaged in at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Deciding whether to enlarge the home itself.
(b) Considering applications for new household staff.
(c) Preparing for a year long tour of Europe.
(d) Improving the landscape of their estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the captain find himself irresistibly attracted?
2. How is the female guest of the estate related to the mistress of the estate?
3. What do the main characters decide to do with the three lakes on Eduard's estate?
4. What incident prompts the captain and Charlotte to kiss?
5. What seemingly miraculous event occurs at the completion of the foundation stone ceremony?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)