|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Roosevelts' youngest son at boarding school?
2. Who became governor of New York when Eleanor was in boarding school?
3. Why did the Roosevelt family begin to spend summers in Florida?
4. In what sort of institution did Eleanor's father spend time in?
5. Whose house did the Roosevelts move into in 1913?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eleanor and Franklin's wedding.
2. In what capacity was Eleanor working as a journalist during the 1930's?
3. Eleanor states that she didn't like being separated from her children. Do you think this affected her duties as a politician's wife? Why?
4. What sorts of activities did Eleanor become involved in when the family moved to New York?
5. How did Eleanor become aware at a young age that there is much suffering in the world?
6. Eleanor and Franklin were cousins. During the early 1900's, how socially acceptable was the practice of dating and marrying a cousin?
7. How did Franklin's vice-presidential nomination affect Eleanor?
8. How was Eleanor introduced to politics? What was her attitude toward them at first?
9. During her first years as First Lady, what seemed to have affected Eleanor the most as she made her trips around the United States?
10. Why do you think it was the hardest for Eleanor to send her youngest child to boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way Eleanor addressed the role of women in her book. Why did she choose to address this topic in particular? Did you learn anything about the role of women that you didn't know before?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor used a narrative point of view throughout her entire book, as it is an autobiography. What are the pros and cons of using this point of view in this particular situation?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the difference between denotation and connotation. How does this related to the word "wife" in terms of Eleanor's book?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)