|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Franklin court Eleanor?
2. Where is this school?
3. What becomes a pattern of separation that will repeat itself frequently over the next several years as the Roosevelts begin a period of public service?
4. What leads to permanent estrangement between Elliott and Anna?
5. What is short-lived in Eleanor's life, after her mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Anna Roosevelt compared to Eleanor?
2. Describe the period of time around Eleanor's birth.
3. How do Elliott and Eleanor keep in touch? What happens to Elliott?
4. How is Eleanor and Lorena's relationship by the end of Franklin's campaign in 1932?
5. What significant events take place in 1912?
6. With what does Eleanor emerge from the period in her life after Franklin's betrayal?
7. What is Eleanor's political standing by the time Franklin becomes governor?
8. About what does Eleanor worry, regarding Franklin?
9. When is Eleanor given the chance to run her own home?
10. How is Anna different from her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a biography.
Part 1) What is a biography? What is the purpose of a biography?
Part 2) What is significant about Eleanor Roosevelt's biography? Why would someone be interested in writing a biography about her?
Part 3) Why does mankind feel the desire to preserve the lives of themselves and others?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor hungers for intellectual stimulation.
Part 1) How long has she hungered for this? How does she feed this hunger?
Part 2) How do those with whom she holds intellectual conversations reflect her childhood and school experience?
Part 3) How does this need for intellectual growth cause conflict between her and Franklin? How does this conflict affect their marriage? Might there have been a remedy for this conflict? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This book illuminates details about Eleanor's background.
Part 1) Describe her background. How does her background reflect her personality?
Part 2) How does her background affect decisions she makes later in life?
Part 3) What about Eleanor's life was surprising to you? Why?
This section contains 2,113 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)