|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what position was Franklin appointed to?
2. In 1916, where did the Roosevelts spend the summer?
3. For what publication did Eleanor write a weekly column?
4. What year was the Armistice signed?
5. Why didn't the Roosevelts return from their summer vacation on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rather than being in public office throughout most of the 1920's, what was Franklin doing instead?
2. Describe Eleanor's feelings when her daughter, Anna, went to boarding school.
3. Eleanor and Franklin were cousins. During the early 1900's, how socially acceptable was the practice of dating and marrying a cousin?
4. In what capacity was Eleanor working as a journalist during the 1930's?
5. Describe Eleanor's increasing independence in Chapter 8.
6. How much of Eleanor's advice do you think Franklin took seriously? Why do you think that?
7. What sorts of travel experiences did Eleanor have as a young girl?
8. Summarize Eleanor's first ten years of marriage. What were her main duties?
9. Describe Eleanor's "coming out" as a debutante..
10. Describe Eleanor's opinion of Secret Service protection.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of juxtaposition in literature? Describe one discipline in Eleanor's book that you think is a good example of a juxtaposition of another discipline. Why do you think she may have presented concepts in her book this way?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Eleanor include foreshadowing in Chapter 11? What did Eleanor indicate by telling readers about Franklin's illness? Based on prior knowledge of Franklin's life, did you anticipate what the chapter ended up revealing?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of "The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt"? Why would Eleanor choose to write the book in this type of tone? What impact does the tone have on the way the reader perceives the characters and information presented in the chapters?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)