|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franklin need in order to walk?
2. Where did Eleanor go after finishing school?
3. Where was Eleanor when Uncle Ted died?
4. How did the social structure in Washington change after the war began?
5. Which of the following countries did Eleanor and Franklin not visit the summer after they were married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What view did Eleanor have of World War I? How do readers know?
2. Eleanor and Franklin were cousins. During the early 1900's, how socially acceptable was the practice of dating and marrying a cousin?
3. How much of Eleanor's advice do you think Franklin took seriously? Why do you think that?
4. Describe Eleanor's opinion of Secret Service protection.
5. What was Eleanor like in large groups as a teenager?
6. Eleanor's role as a mother and wife changed a bit during WWI. What did she see as her main duties?
7. What sorts of travel experiences did Eleanor have as a young girl?
8. Summarize Eleanor's first ten years of marriage. What were her main duties?
9. Describe the process of how Franklin was elected governor of New York, including the Democratic Convention.
10. How did Franklin's vice-presidential nomination affect Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of juxtaposition in literature? Describe one discipline in Eleanor's book that you think is a good example of a juxtaposition of another discipline. Why do you think she may have presented concepts in her book this way?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Eleanor include foreshadowing in Chapter 11? What did Eleanor indicate by telling readers about Franklin's illness? Based on prior knowledge of Franklin's life, did you anticipate what the chapter ended up revealing?
Essay Topic 3
What role did less well-known people play in Eleanor's book? What advantages and disadvantages were there to having so many people in this book? Would you have preferred that Eleanor included fewer people? Why?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)