|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Eleanor feel in public situations in the early part of her marriage?
2. Where was Eleanor when the declaration of war was delivered to Congress?
3. How did Eleanor and Franklin contract typhoid fever?
4. Who worked for the Democratic Party in 1928?
5. In what sort of institution did Eleanor's father spend time in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rather than being in public office throughout most of the 1920's, what was Franklin doing instead?
2. Summarize Eleanor's first ten years of marriage. What were her main duties?
3. How did Eleanor's relationship with her mother-in-law change in Chapter 11?
4. Describe Eleanor's opinion of Secret Service protection.
5. How did Franklin's vice-presidential nomination affect Eleanor?
6. How was Eleanor introduced to politics? What was her attitude toward them at first?
7. Describe Eleanor's increasing independence in Chapter 8.
8. Describe Eleanor's feelings when her daughter, Anna, went to boarding school.
9. How did the relationship between Eleanor and Franklin evolve?
10. What description does Eleanor give about Campobello?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Eleanor include foreshadowing in Chapter 11? What did Eleanor indicate by telling readers about Franklin's illness? Based on prior knowledge of Franklin's life, did you anticipate what the chapter ended up revealing?
Essay Topic 2
After Franklin's death, what organizations did Eleanor become involved with? Which of these do you think had the biggest impact on her personal development?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor indicated that setting in terms of the United States during WWII was significant to her experiences as a first lady. Describe what she said about this particular setting and what role place and time play in Eleanor's experiences as conveyed in the book.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)