|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eleanor attend boarding school at the age of 15?
2. From where was Franklin called when preparations were being made for the US to enter WWI?
3. How did Eleanor feel about being separated from her children?
4. How did Eleanor feel in public situations in the early part of her marriage?
5. Whom did Eleanor live with after her mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her first years as First Lady, what seemed to have affected Eleanor the most as she made her trips around the United States?
2. Eleanor and Franklin were cousins. During the early 1900's, how socially acceptable was the practice of dating and marrying a cousin?
3. Describe Eleanor's feelings when her daughter, Anna, went to boarding school.
4. Describe Eleanor's increasing independence in Chapter 8.
5. Rather than being in public office throughout most of the 1920's, what was Franklin doing instead?
6. What sorts of travel experiences did Eleanor have as a young girl?
7. What view did Eleanor have of World War I? How do readers know?
8. Summarize Eleanor's first ten years of marriage. What were her main duties?
9. Eleanor's role as a mother and wife changed a bit during WWI. What did she see as her main duties?
10. How did the structure of social life change when the United States entered WWI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many places in her book, Eleanor used imagery to describe certain people, places, or events. Using one specific example from Eleanor's book, describe how the imagery she provided adds to the reader's understanding and perception of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor used a narrative point of view throughout her entire book, as it is an autobiography. What are the pros and cons of using this point of view in this particular situation?
Essay Topic 3
What effect did being part of the presidential family have on Eleanor's book? How did it add to the information in the book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)