|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Eleanor feel uncomfortable at parties?
2. In 1916, where did the Roosevelts spend the summer?
3. Where did the Roosevelts spend election night of 1932?
4. In Chapter 7, what position was Franklin appointed to?
5. What year was the Armistice signed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eleanor's feelings when her daughter, Anna, went to boarding school.
2. How much of Eleanor's advice do you think Franklin took seriously? Why do you think that?
3. What sorts of travel experiences did Eleanor have as a young girl?
4. What sorts of activities did Eleanor become involved in when the family moved to New York?
5. Describe Eleanor's opinion of Secret Service protection.
6. Describe Eleanor's increasing independence in Chapter 8.
7. Eleanor's role as a mother and wife changed a bit during WWI. What did she see as her main duties?
8. Eleanor and Franklin were cousins. During the early 1900's, how socially acceptable was the practice of dating and marrying a cousin?
9. How did the structure of social life change when the United States entered WWI?
10. What was Eleanor like in large groups as a teenager?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think was Eleanor's main goal in writing this book? What did she want readers to take away from the book, or to understand better after reading it?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the loss of Eleanor's parents at a relatively early age may have had an impact on her? If so, how do you think it would have affected her life and the content she included in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of juxtaposition in literature? Describe one discipline in Eleanor's book that you think is a good example of a juxtaposition of another discipline. Why do you think she may have presented concepts in her book this way?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)