|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tonya?
2. Why do some of Eleanor's classmates laugh when she starts reading a poem in class that begins with the line, "I had been hungry all the years"?
3. Based on Eleanor's observations, how well does Park take care of the comic books that he lets her borrow?
4. Who is the next door neighbor whose house Eleanor runs to when she hears gunshots in Chapter 25?
5. When does the novel begin in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Eleanor and DeNice after the fight between Park and Steve?
2. With whom has Eleanor lived for the past year in the beginning of the novel? How did she come to live there?
3. What is revealed about Park's appearance in Chapter 16?
4. How would you describe the relationship between Richie and Eleanor?
5. How does the theme of appearances apply to Park in the narrative?
6. Why is Park conflicted about having Eleanor visit in Chapter 19?
7. How does Eleanor convince her mother to allow her to go to babysit for her father in Chapter 18?
8. What does Park's father's pickup truck signify in the novel?
9. What does Park give to Eleanor in Chapter 9? Why?
10. What is ironic about Sabrina's comments to Eleanor as she leaves home in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Mindy's "makeover" of Eleanor in the novel. How does Eleanor respond when Mindy insists on giving Eleanor a makeover? How does Eleanor's appearance change in the process? How does Eleanor respond?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Sabrina and Richie in the novel. Do you consider these characters to be protagonists or antagonists? Why? How do these characters influence others around them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the words and phrases that are written on Eleanor's book covers for school. Who has written these phrases? How does Park respond when he sees them? How does Eleanor respond?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)