|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The line "To be or not to be" is from which of the following Shakespearean plays?
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) The Merry Wives of Windsor.
2. To whose voice does Eleanor compare Park's in Chapter 19?
(a) Peter Gabriel's.
(b) John Lennon's.
(c) Paul McCartney's.
(d) Robert Smith's.
3. With the exception of Eleanor, what does everyone on the school bus have in Chapter 1?
(a) A green and gold backpack.
(b) A school bus-riding ID.
(c) A seat they had claimed.
(d) A school ID.
4. Under what circumstances does Park say his parents met in Chapter 19?
(a) They met during a business conference in Geneva.
(b) They met at a synogogue.
(c) They met during the Korean War.
(d) They met during the Vietnam War.
5. What book is Park's dad reading when Park asks how long he's grounded in Chapter 23?
(a) Tomorrow Never Comes.
(b) To Have and Have Not.
(c) Soldier of Fortune.
(d) The Stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor tell Park he looks like when she's talking with him on the phone at her dad's house?
2. When does the novel begin in Chapter 1?
3. What is one of the main reasons that Eleanor does not want to walk home from school in Chapter 2?
4. What item does Eleanor want to tell her counselor that she needs the most?
5. Why do some of Eleanor's classmates laugh when she starts reading a poem in class that begins with the line, "I had been hungry all the years"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Eleanor internal conflict regarding her feelings for Park?
2. How would you describe the hardships that Eleanor and her family face financially?
3. What is revealed about Park's appearance in Chapter 16?
4. Why does Eleanor choose to take the bus to school instead of getting a ride with Richie?
5. How does the theme of appearances apply to Park in the narrative?
6. What does the act of holding hands signify for Park and Eleanor in Chapter 15?
7. How would you describe Eleanor's relationship with her biological father?
8. In Chapter 11, Eleanor and the kids wake to the sounds of a fight between Richie and their mother. What does Eleanor remark about the situation?
9. What does Park's father's pickup truck signify in the novel?
10. How does the theme of appearances apply to Mindy's character?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)