|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what two things is first love a unity?
2. Which part of the wedding does the author find rather backward?
3. At what moment is love annihilated according to the author?
4. Who has lost himself in another according to the author?
5. Into what two categories does the author say he can divide the difficulties in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author compare the young man to an insane man?
2. Describe the fantasy marriage the author proposes to the young man.
3. Why does the author write that an exploration of the aesthetic significance of marriage might seem superfluous?
4. How does the author define and marriage of convenience?
5. Why does the author compare the young man to King Herod?
6. What interests the author in a certain engraving dramatizing the story of Cain and Abel?
7. How does the author describe romantic love?
8. What does the author write about humility in love?
9. What does the author write first love is for "happy individualities?"
10. How does the author relate religion to swimming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of the author of the letter? What kind of man is he? What is his life like? Create and defend a detailed portrait of the author of the letter citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the attitude of the author of the letter towards marriage? What does the author see as the principle purpose of marriage? What mental attitudes does the author indicate work against marriage? How may these be overcome? Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The author discusses depression at length in EITHER/OR. Why does the author assert men become depressed? When is depression virtuous and when is it self-indulgent? What does the author assert is the nature of his own depression? What does the author assert is the nature of the young man's depression? How does the author advise the young man to handle his melancholy. Discuss citing specific examples from the text.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)