|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call a poet-existence?
(a) A sacrifice.
(b) A drag.
(c) A sin.
(d) A delight.
2. Why does the author say the young man is afraid of continuity?
(a) Because it deprives him of the opportunity to deceive himself.
(b) Because he enjoys variety.
(c) Because he had a frightening experience with continuity as a chil
(d) Because the young man is afraid of everything.
3. Who does the author say cannot love?
(a) A person who beats his wife.
(b) A person who is not Christian.
(c) A person who always tells the truth.
(d) A peson who cannot open himself.
4. What is a moment that is more significant than everything else in the entire world according to the author?
(a) Taking in a sunset.
(b) Thoroughly enjoying a great party.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Becoming conscious in one's eternal validity.
5. About what emperor does the author go on at length?
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) Augustus Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is love itself?
2. The author claims there is the deepest relationship between what two things?
3. What "humble view" does the author say he presents to the young man?
4. What path does nature take according to the author?
5. What concept does the author of the letter introduce at the beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are somethings the author writes might be said to a depressed young man?
2. How does the author define philosophy and what does he appreciate about it?
3. What does the author write about "the Moment"?
4. What does the author say is more important than choosing the right thing?
5. Why does the author write humans fear death?
6. What does the author assert is the mystic's error?
7. What "gift of grace" does the author say he would add to those listed in the bible?
8. Describe the folktale about Roland's three squires.
9. Why does the author warn against young men being tied down to making a living right away?
10. Are any Either/Or choices absolute? Explain.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)