|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occasion caused the young man to fume according to the author?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A church wedding.
(c) A Mayday party.
(d) A birthday party.
2. What does an individual become when his heart is open according to the author?
3. What is the opening phrase of the work?
(a) "Hey, guy,".
(b) "Ladies and Gentlemen,".
(c) "Dear Friend,".
(d) "Red Fox to Chrome Eagle:".
4. What is the only thing for which the author prays to God with his whole heart?
(a) That God will give him the strength to move on after his wife stops loving him.
(b) That God will give him the strength never to want to love another woman.
(c) That God will give him the judgement to know when his wife is lying.
(d) That God will give him the patience to put up with his wife's nagging.
5. In addition to having a priority in itself, what other quality does marital love possess according to the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author believe accounts for the young man's excessive anxiety?
2. How does the author describe a couple's connection in a marriage of convenience?
3. Who does Kirkegaard explain the letter was intended for?
4. In discussing the the aesthetic of marriage, upon what does the author of the letter draw?
5. What system does the author say he observed while he was a guest in the home of a young married couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's problem with the vows in the marriage ceremony?
2. What does the author write about his feelings of devotion for his wife?
3. When does the secretiveness about which the author writes gain its strength?
4. Why does the author say that dealing with the young man is a most difficult task?
5. Why does the author compare the young man to King Herod?
6. What does the author assert is the principle reason for marrying?
7. Describe what the author writes are the necessary inward conditions for marriage?
8. Describe the church wedding that the author says caused the young man to fume.
9. How many types of love does the author write there are? What are they?
10. What does the author write is "unhappy love?"
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)