Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, true marriage includes the religious and what other element?
(a) The erotic.
(b) The sacrilegious.
(c) The fated.
(d) The pure.
2. What does the author say he hates?
(a) All purple drapes.
(b) All women.
(c) All modern architecture.
(d) All imaginary constructing.
3. What does the author say the young man he is writing to wants to be?
(b) A pig.
(c) A priest.
(d) An archangel.
4. What does the author say the actual experience of love is?
(a) An awakening.
(b) A falling backward.
(c) Deeply painful.
(d) A pretty song.
5. Who is the only one who has a true conception of who he is according to the author?
(a) The man who loves.
(b) The man who can fight.
(c) The man who meditates on mountain tops.
(d) The man who is self-sufficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an individual become when his heart is open according to the author?
2. What is the author's stated attitude toward these feelings?
3. Why is the author accustomed to writing on this particular object?
4. What is the middle course that the "marriage of convenience" takes according to the author?
5. Into what two categories does the author say he can divide the difficulties in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about egotistic depression?
2. What risk does the author say one runs when one despairs about something in particular?
3. What "gift of grace" does the author say he would add to those listed in the bible?
4. How does the author relate religion to swimming?
5. Why does the author say that first love is found more frequently in women than men?
6. What are some immoral motivations for marrying according to the author?
7. What does the author assert is the principle reason for marrying?
8. What are the advantages of the ethical theory of talent as opposed to the aesthetic theory of talent?
9. How does the author distinguish between the erotic embrace and the marital embrace?
10. What does the author write about humility in love?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)