|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say is the defect of his era?
2. According to the author, an esthetically beautiful marriage is always a what?
(a) A dull one.
(b) A sad one.
(c) An exhilarating one.
(d) A happy one.
3. What does the author say would be a matter of indifference to Christians?
(a) Whether Christ was literally an incarnation of almighty God.
(b) Whether Christ was born in December or July.
(c) Whether Christ was ugly or handsome.
(d) Whether Christ physically rose from the dead.
4. How does the author say the young man lives?
(a) All of these.
(b) The author says the young man lives by stealing happy moments.
(c) The author says the young man lives by plundering.
(d) The author says the young man lives by creeping up unnoticed on people.
5. To what does the author of the letter compare the young man at the end of this section?
(a) The author compares the young man to a blushing bride.
(b) The author compares the young man to an actor.
(c) The author compares the young man to a bull rider.
(d) The author compares the young man to the pilot of a ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first subject Kierkegaard discusses?
2. The author asserts that just as nothing is impossible for God, nothing is impossible for whom?
3. Between what two types of doubt does the author say it is important to distinguish?
4. How ought we deal with the frail according to the author?
5. What moment does the newly married couple attempt to postpone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say could seriously tempt him to write books?
2. What are some immoral motivations for marrying according to the author?
3. Why does the author say that dealing with the young man is a most difficult task?
4. Why does the author compare the young man to King Herod?
5. Describe the church wedding that the author says caused the young man to fume.
6. In what kind of moment does the author write he hopes his letter finds the young man, and why?
7. What is the author's stated intention?
8. What does the author write about humility in love?
9. Why are erotic love and marriage irreconcilable according to the author?
10. What does the author write about his feelings of devotion for his wife?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)