|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author assert reflective love does?
(a) Hates itself.
(b) Consumes itself.
(c) The author asserts reflective love does not exist.
(d) Renews itself.
2. The author asserts that just as nothing is impossible for God, nothing is impossible for whom?
(a) The powerful individual.
(b) The religious individual.
(c) The pure individual.
(d) The humble individual.
3. To what religion does the author say marriage belongs?
4. How does the author say he must always be with the young man?
5. According to the author, what happens to the value of an original, or first, thing if it may be repeated?
(a) The value increases.
(b) The first thing never had any value.
(c) The value remains the same.
(d) The value decreases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing for which the author prays to God with his whole heart?
2. When discussing adversity with the young man, against what does the author warn?
3. What does the author say the actual experience of love is?
4. What is the author's stated attitude toward these feelings?
5. What does the author claim Martin Luther said a Christian has never died of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interests the author in a certain engraving dramatizing the story of Cain and Abel?
2. Describe what the author writes are the necessary inward conditions for marriage?
3. What are some immoral motivations for marrying according to the author?
4. How is first love the unification of freedom and necessity?
5. Why does the author write that marriage belongs to Christianity?
6. When does the secretiveness about which the author writes gain its strength?
7. What is significant about the author's reference to the biblical story of King David and the prophet Nathan?
8. How does the author distinguish between the erotic embrace and the marital embrace?
9. How does the author relate religion to swimming?
10. Why does the author say that first love is found more frequently in women than men?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)