|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the quality of marital love's movements?
(a) Marital love's movements are outward.
(b) Marital love's movements are inward.
(c) Marital love's movements are slow.
(d) Marital love's movements are quick.
2. What quality does the author say love shares with everything eternal?
(a) A quality of lameness.
(b) A quality of sexiness.
(c) A quality of duplexity.
(d) A quality of ephemerality.
3. In addition to having a priority in itself, what other quality does marital love possess according to the author?
4. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
(a) An ocean.
(b) An illusion.
(c) A rock.
(d) An undeniable reality.
5. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
(a) Page in FIGARO.
(b) Don Giovanni in DON GIOVANNI.
(c) Wotan in THE RING CYCLE.
(d) Tristan in TRISTAN AND ISOLDE.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say that the first love always is?
2. At what moment is love annihilated according to the author?
3. What does the author say is the defect of his era?
4. Where does the author say the young man might be intoxicated by aesthetic pleasure?
5. Why is "sympathetic" depression noble according to the author of the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the secretiveness about which the author writes gain its strength?
2. How does the author describe romantic love?
3. How does the author relate religion to swimming?
4. In what kind of moment does the author write he hopes his letter finds the young man, and why?
5. What does the author write about humility in love?
6. What does the author write about his feelings of devotion for his wife?
7. What interests the author in a certain engraving dramatizing the story of Cain and Abel?
8. What does the author say to the suggestion that the wedding ceremony "halts lovers"?
9. How many types of love does the author write there are? What are they?
10. Why does the author write that an exploration of the aesthetic significance of marriage might seem superfluous?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)