|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the author of the letter compare the young man at the end of this section?
(a) The author compares the young man to a blushing bride.
(b) The author compares the young man to a bull rider.
(c) The author compares the young man to an actor.
(d) The author compares the young man to the pilot of a ship.
2. The author asserts that it might seem proper for marital love to begin with a kind of what?
3. What does the author say first love is for him?
(a) A password.
(b) A catch phrase.
(c) A good word.
(d) A bad word.
4. Where does the author say the young man might be intoxicated by aesthetic pleasure?
(a) The theatre.
(b) An art gallery.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) A cricket match.
5. What are the excesses of the mystics according to the author of the letter?
(a) Drinking and drug taking.
(b) Attempting to help every person they come across.
(c) Self-tormenting and annihilation of the physical.
(d) Praying all day and all night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say would be a matter of indifference to Christians?
2. What does the author claim Martin Luther said a Christian has never died of?
3. According to the author of the letter, to what does a religious person refer everything?
4. At what moment is love annihilated according to the author?
5. What system does the author say he observed while he was a guest in the home of a young married couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write is "unhappy love?"
2. What is the author's problem with the vows in the marriage ceremony?
3. What are some immoral motivations for marrying according to the author?
4. What is the author's stated intention?
5. How does the author relate religion to swimming?
6. Why does the author say that dealing with the young man is a most difficult task?
7. What does the author say could seriously tempt him to write books?
8. Describe the fantasy marriage the author proposes to the young man.
9. How many types of love does the author write there are? What are they?
10. What does the author write about his feelings of devotion for his wife?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)