|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kirkegaard explain the letter was intended for?
(b) A young man.
2. What does the author claim Martin Luther said a Christian has never died of?
3. Between what two types of doubt does the author say it is important to distinguish?
(a) Religious and erotic doubt.
(b) No doubt and full doubt.
(c) Personal and scientific doubt.
(d) Temporal and eternal doubt.
4. How does the author say the young man may best perceive the state that precedes first love?
(a) By recalling that love makes one lost.
(b) By recalling that love makes one blind.
(c) By recalling that love makes one fly.
(d) By recalling that love makes one feel quite good.
5. What does the author say the young man he is writing to wants to be?
(a) An archangel.
(b) A priest.
(d) A pig.
6. What is the one the thing the author says he thanks God for?
(a) The extraordinary refinement of his tastes.
(b) The clarity of his vision.
(c) The imperturbability of his soul.
(d) The mutability of his humor.
7. What does the author say that the first love always is?
(a) An unavoidable necessity.
(b) A terrific bore.
(c) The highest earthly good.
(d) A profound evil.
8. What is the author of the letter accustomed to writing on?
(a) Tablets of stone.
(c) Full sheets.
9. The author claims what kind of feelings toward his wife?
(a) Feelings of sadness.
(b) Feelings of anxiety.
(c) Feelings of anger.
(d) Feelings of devotion.
10. What does the author say that every order of life, including marriage, has?
11. What is the quality of marital love's movements?
(a) Marital love's movements are quick.
(b) Marital love's movements are inward.
(c) Marital love's movements are outward.
(d) Marital love's movements are slow.
12. According to the author, an esthetically beautiful marriage is always a what?
(a) A dull one.
(b) A happy one.
(c) A sad one.
(d) An exhilarating one.
13. What is the second subject Kierkegaard examines?
(a) Messages from distant cousins.
(b) Messages from yourself.
(c) Messages from God.
(d) Messages in bottles.
14. What does the author say the actual experience of love is?
(a) An awakening.
(b) A pretty song.
(c) A falling backward.
(d) Deeply painful.
15. Between what two things does the writer say there may exist a significant difference?
(a) There may be a significant difference between the time the wedding is scheduled to start and when it actually starts.
(b) There may be a significant difference between the type of wedding reception the bride wants and the type of wedding reception the groom prefers.
(c) There may be a significant difference between how the young man really feels and what the wedding is like.
(d) There may be a significant difference between how the in-laws are before the wedding and after the wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the person who profits by being secretive according to the author?
2. Who does the author say has triumphed?
3. What creature sends the author into "reverie"?
4. The author asserts that it might seem proper for marital love to begin with a kind of what?
5. From who does the author say the secrecy system generally comes?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)