|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of love does the author say is momentary?
(a) The romantic aspect.
(b) The hateful aspect.
(c) The tender aspect.
(d) The sensuous aspect.
2. Of what two things is first love a unity?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Hot and cold.
(c) Freedom and necessity.
(d) Passion and indifference.
3. What does the author say would be a matter of indifference to Christians?
(a) Whether Christ was born in December or July.
(b) Whether Christ was ugly or handsome.
(c) Whether Christ physically rose from the dead.
(d) Whether Christ was literally an incarnation of almighty God.
4. At what moment is love annihilated according to the author?
(a) The moment it sins.
(b) The moment it doubts.
(c) The moment it becomes conscious of itself.
(d) The moment it becomes hate.
5. What is the one the thing the author says he thanks God for?
(a) The imperturbability of his soul.
(b) The extraordinary refinement of his tastes.
(c) The clarity of his vision.
(d) The mutability of his humor.
6. What does first love not fear according to the author?
7. In discussing the the aesthetic of marriage, upon what does the author of the letter draw?
(a) The author draws on examples from Confucius's marriage.
(b) The author draws on invented examples of marriage.
(c) The author draws on examples from his own marriage.
(d) The author draws on examples from his friend's marriage.
8. What is love according to the author?
9. How does the author say he must always be with the young man?
10. According to the author, what happens to the value of an original, or first, thing if it may be repeated?
(a) The first thing never had any value.
(b) The value decreases.
(c) The value increases.
(d) The value remains the same.
11. To what does the author compare the engagement period?
(a) Being tortured on the rack.
(b) Being held underwater, dying for a gasp of fresh air.
(c) The time one spends at the hair salon.
(d) The time it takes many people to dive into the water when they go swimming.
12. What does the author say first love is for him?
(a) A password.
(b) A bad word.
(c) A good word.
(d) A catch phrase.
13. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
(a) An illusion.
(b) An undeniable reality.
(c) An ocean.
(d) A rock.
14. What is the only way the author claims he would ever wish to be in relation to his wife?
15. What does the author say that every order of life, including marriage, has?
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what two categories does the author say he can divide the difficulties in marriage?
2. What does an individual become when his heart is open according to the author?
3. When discussing adversity with the young man, against what does the author warn?
4. How ought we deal with the frail according to the author?
5. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)