|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the actual experience of love is?
(a) A pretty song.
(b) A falling backward.
(c) An awakening.
(d) Deeply painful.
2. To what religion does the author say marriage belongs?
3. According to the author, true marriage includes the religious and what other element?
(a) The erotic.
(b) The sacrilegious.
(c) The fated.
(d) The pure.
4. To whom does the author compare the young man when he is ill-tempered?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
(c) King David.
5. What is the author's stated attitude toward these feelings?
(a) The author writes that the feelings are the best kind of feelings.
(b) The author writes that the feelings are disturbing.
(c) The author writes that the feelings are aberrant.
(d) The author writes that the feelings are entirely natural.
6. How does the author describe a couple's connection in a marriage of convenience?
(a) The connection is sexy and suffocating.
(b) The connection is moral but shallow.
(c) The connection is safe but unrewarding.
(d) The connection is immoral and fragile.
7. What does the author assert reflective love does?
(a) The author asserts reflective love does not exist.
(b) Consumes itself.
(c) Renews itself.
(d) Hates itself.
8. How does the author say he must always be with the young man?
9. What is love according to the author?
10. What one word does the author say can describe love?
(a) It is light.
(b) It is immediate.
(c) It is excruciating.
(d) It is futile.
11. What does first love not fear according to the author?
12. What does the author say he hates?
(a) All purple drapes.
(b) All modern architecture.
(c) All imaginary constructing.
(d) All women.
13. What does the author say first love is for him?
(a) A good word.
(b) A password.
(c) A bad word.
(d) A catch phrase.
14. What creature sends the author into "reverie"?
(a) The elephant.
(b) The catfish.
(c) The tiger.
(d) The jellyfish.
15. The author claims what kind of feelings toward his wife?
(a) Feelings of anxiety.
(b) Feelings of sadness.
(c) Feelings of devotion.
(d) Feelings of anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
2. How is it said that married folk should live according to the author?
3. What does first love not need according to the author?
4. What does the author say that every order of life, including marriage, has?
5. What is the author of the letter accustomed to writing on?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)