|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 11, Equilibrium - Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author write is on the other side of the aesthetic?
(a) The indifferent.
(b) The romantic.
(c) The joyous.
(d) The hateful.
2. What capacity of the soul does the author say is missing in the young man?
(d) Memory of his life.
3. What system does the author say he observed while he was a guest in the home of a young married couple?
(a) The Stanislavsky system.
(b) The silent system.
(c) The secrecy system.
(d) The fairness system.
4. Why do the author's two Englishmen travel to Arabia?
(a) To visit Mecca.
(b) To smoke tobacco.
(c) To discuss philosophy.
(d) To purchase horses.
5. Why does the author suggest the young man may be "depressed" and fear marriage?
(a) The young man may be thinking, "She doesn't really love me; all love is false."
(b) The young man may be thinking, "Everything may change; what if this person that now I almost worship may change; what if, what if, etc."
(c) Perhaps the young man has not been taking his medication.
(d) The young man's parents were unhappy in their marriage and abused him all his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David understand about the parable?
2. Why does the author say the young man is afraid of continuity?
3. If a sailor is enchanted by a mermaid's song, what is the only way to break the spell according to the author?
4. What is the one the thing the author says he thanks God for?
5. How ought we deal with the frail according to the author?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)