|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 9, Equilibrium.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say one must transform to preserve the aesthetic in human beings?
(a) One must transform beauty into pain.
(b) One must transform suffering into joy.
(c) One must transform lemons into lemonade.
(d) One must transform outer trials into inner trials.
2. What does the author say an aesthetic representation requires?
(a) Concentration on the moment.
(b) Lots of money.
(c) Lots of laughter.
(d) A beautiful picture frame.
3. Between what two types of doubt does the author say it is important to distinguish?
(a) Religious and erotic doubt.
(b) Personal and scientific doubt.
(c) Temporal and eternal doubt.
(d) No doubt and full doubt.
4. Who is the only one who has a true conception of who he is according to the author?
(a) The man who can fight.
(b) The man who loves.
(c) The man who meditates on mountain tops.
(d) The man who is self-sufficient.
5. What does the author say his era has discerned about romantic love very well?
(a) The non-existence of it.
(b) The fleeting quality of it.
(c) The weakness of it.
(d) The strength of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the wedding does the author find rather backward?
2. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
3. Between what two things does the writer say there may exist a significant difference?
4. What does the author say is the defect of his era?
5. What is the only thing for which the author thanks God with his whole soul?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)