|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 3, Aesthetic Validation of Marriage - First Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Byron declare about love according to the author?
(a) Love torment and marriage is peace.
(b) Love is heaven and marriage is hell.
(c) Love is irrelevant and marriage is significant.
(d) Love is false and marriage is true.
2. What does the author say his era has discerned about romantic love very well?
(a) The non-existence of it.
(b) The strength of it.
(c) The weakness of it.
(d) The fleeting quality of it.
3. Why is "sympathetic" depression noble according to the author of the letter?
(a) "Sympathetic" depression is the depression of the landed gentry.
(b) "Sympathetic" depression is highly attractive in a young man.
(c) The author has proclaimed it!
(d) "Sympathetic" depression is for the sake of another.
4. According to the author of the letter, to what does a religious person refer everything?
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. Of what two things is first love a unity?
(a) Hot and cold.
(b) Freedom and necessity.
(c) Passion and indifference.
(d) Love and hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
2. What one word does the author say can describe love?
3. What does the author say the actual experience of love is?
4. What is the second subject Kierkegaard examines?
5. What does the author say first love is for him?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)