|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 3, Aesthetic Validation of Marriage - First Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say is the defect of his era?
2. What does the author say romantic love is built on?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A rock.
(c) An undeniable reality.
(d) An illusion.
3. What is the second subject Kierkegaard examines?
(a) Messages from distant cousins.
(b) Messages from God.
(c) Messages in bottles.
(d) Messages from yourself.
4. What does the author say belongs in every marriage but is missing from a marriage of convenience?
(a) The eternal.
(b) The erotic.
(c) The cruel.
(d) The temporal.
5. What does the author say his era has discerned about romantic love very well?
(a) The non-existence of it.
(b) The strength of it.
(c) The weakness of it.
(d) The fleeting quality of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character in opera does the author say embodies the state preceding love?
2. What quality does the author say love shares with everything eternal?
3. In what form is EITHER/OR written?
4. Of what two things is first love a unity?
5. What does the author say would be a matter of indifference to Christians?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)