|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 3, Aesthetic Validation of Marriage - First Love.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does the author say love shares with everything eternal?
(a) A quality of ephemerality.
(b) A quality of sexiness.
(c) A quality of duplexity.
(d) A quality of lameness.
2. Why is "sympathetic" depression noble according to the author of the letter?
(a) "Sympathetic" depression is for the sake of another.
(b) "Sympathetic" depression is the depression of the landed gentry.
(c) "Sympathetic" depression is highly attractive in a young man.
(d) The author has proclaimed it!
3. To what does the author compare the engagement period?
(a) The time it takes many people to dive into the water when they go swimming.
(b) The time one spends at the hair salon.
(c) Being tortured on the rack.
(d) Being held underwater, dying for a gasp of fresh air.
4. What does the author say is the defect of his era?
5. What does David understand about the parable?
(a) David understands how the parable applies to him.
(b) David understands the message of the parable.
(c) David understands Nathan is merely trying to manipulate him.
(d) David does not understand the parable at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author of the letter, to what does a religious person refer everything?
2. To whom does the author compare the young man when he is ill-tempered?
3. What is the author of the letter accustomed to writing on?
4. What are the excesses of the mystics according to the author of the letter?
5. What does the author assert reflective love does?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)