|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Either/Or : Chapter 2, Aesthetic Validity of Marriage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author of the letter accustomed to writing on?
(b) Full sheets.
(d) Tablets of stone.
2. Why is "sympathetic" depression noble according to the author of the letter?
(a) "Sympathetic" depression is the depression of the landed gentry.
(b) The author has proclaimed it!
(c) "Sympathetic" depression is highly attractive in a young man.
(d) "Sympathetic" depression is for the sake of another.
3. How does the author describe a couple's connection in a marriage of convenience?
(a) The connection is moral but shallow.
(b) The connection is safe but unrewarding.
(c) The connection is immoral and fragile.
(d) The connection is sexy and suffocating.
4. What does the author say that every order of life, including marriage, has?
5. In what form is EITHER/OR written?
(a) In the form of a lecture.
(b) In the form of a casual conversation.
(c) In the form of an epistle.
(d) In the form of a code.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kirkegaard explain the letter was intended for?
2. Why is the author accustomed to writing on this particular object?
3. What does the author say his era has discerned about romantic love very well?
4. What is the relationship between marriage and first love according to the author?
5. Why does the author suggest the young man may be "depressed" and fear marriage?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)