|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel, by what means does Innstetten travel back to Berlin?
2. In Chapter 22, what must Effi go to Berlin to do?
3. What illness does Effi believe she is suffering when she is bedridden in Berlin?
4. What does Roswitha find when she is looking for Effi's long bandage?
5. After the duel, who deals with the authorities on Innstetten's behalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
3. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
4. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
5. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
6. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
7. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
8. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
9. Describe the poem, "God's Wall", which Effi knows from childhood.
10. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)