|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part does Innstetten need Wüllersdorf to play in his duel with Crampas?
2. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
3. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
4. On her deathbed, what does Effie think of Innstetten for how he treated her?
5. After the duel with Crampas, what consititutes a good day for Innstetten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
2. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
3. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
5. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
6. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
7. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
8. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
9. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
10. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)