|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song is sung at the dinner for the forester?
2. Who does Roswitha accuse Johanna of being in love with in Chapter 29?
3. What does the registered letter contain?
4. In Chapter 34, what disease does Effi's doctor say she has developed a tendency for?
5. Who are the Gizickis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
2. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
3. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
4. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
5. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
6. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
7. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
8. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
9. What happens after the party traveling from Uvagla crosses the schloon?
10. Describe the poem, "God's Wall", which Effi knows from childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)