Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
2. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
3. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
4. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
5. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
"Effi Briest" is based on a true story. How does the real story differ from the fictional retelling? Why might Fontane have made these changes?
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)