|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
2. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
3. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
4. While staying in Ems, what does Effi notice suddenly stops?
5. Who does Innstetten say Annie gets her temperament from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
3. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
4. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
5. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
6. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
7. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
8. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
9. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
10. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
Essay Topic 2
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)