|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month does Effi die?
2. What does Innstetten want to be able to hear from his new home?
3. After the duel with Crampas, what consititutes a good day for Innstetten?
4. What illness does Dr. Hannemann treat Effi for?
5. Who offers help after Effi is abandoned by her husband and parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
2. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
3. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
5. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
6. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
7. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
8. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
9. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
10. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of foreshadowing in the novel "Effi Breist".
Essay Topic 3
"Effi Briest" is based on a true story. How does the real story differ from the fictional retelling? Why might Fontane have made these changes?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)