|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roswitha say she would rather do than give birth again?
2. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
3. What does Innstetten want to be able to hear from his new home?
4. Who does Roswitha accuse Johanna of being in love with in Chapter 29?
5. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
2. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
3. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
4. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
5. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
6. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
7. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
8. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
9. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
10. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Effi Briest", Theodor Fontane. Is he a respected writer? What other works has he written? Discuss his legacy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)