|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
2. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
3. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
4. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
5. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)