|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
2. What ancient artifact do Effi and Innstetten see at Lake Hertha?
3. What illness does Dr. Hannemann treat Effi for?
4. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
5. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
2. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
3. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
4. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
5. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
6. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
7. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
8. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
9. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
10. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)