|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Effi see by chance on the horse tram one day?
2. On her deathbed, what does Effie think of Innstetten for how he treated her?
3. Who is killed in the duel at the end of Chapter 28?
4. What do the Briests fear will happen if Effi does NOT have another child?
5. How long does it take Effi to recover from her illness once she returns to Hohen-Cremmen?
Essay Topic 1
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)