|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After passing the schloon, who does Effi ride alone with in the sleigh?
2. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
3. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
4. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
5. Who does Effi see by chance on the horse tram one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
2. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
3. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
4. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
5. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
6. What happens after the party traveling from Uvagla crosses the schloon?
7. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
8. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
9. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
10. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)