|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Briests fear will happen if Effi does NOT have another child?
2. Who does Effi see by chance on the horse tram one day?
3. A rumor circulates in Kessin that Innstetten will be assigned to a post in which country?
4. What does Roswitha find when she is looking for Effi's long bandage?
5. Why don't Cristel and Friedrich move to Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
2. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
3. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
4. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
5. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
6. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
7. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
8. Describe the poem, "God's Wall", which Effi knows from childhood.
9. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
10. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 2
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)