|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi talk about with Jahnke when she visits?
2. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
3. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
4. The Jahnkes twins marry men of which occupation?
5. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
2. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
3. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
4. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
5. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
6. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
7. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
8. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
9. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
10. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)