|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers help after Effi is abandoned by her husband and parents?
2. What does Innstetten say is passé in Berlin?
3. What month is it when Innstetten travels to have a duel with Crampas?
4. After the duel, by what means does Innstetten travel back to Berlin?
5. Three years after the truth about Effi's affair came out, where is she living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
2. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
3. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
4. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
5. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
6. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
7. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
8. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
9. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
10. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
Essay Topic 3
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)