|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi talk about with Jahnke when she visits?
2. What part does Innstetten need Wüllersdorf to play in his duel with Crampas?
3. Where is Innstetten offered a ministry job?
4. Who sits with Effi on the ride back from Uvagla until they reach the schloon?
5. Who does Innstetten say Annie gets her temperament from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
2. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
3. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
4. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
5. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
6. What happens after the party traveling from Uvagla crosses the schloon?
7. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
8. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
9. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
10. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)