|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what must Effi go to Berlin to do?
2. After the duel, who deals with the authorities on Innstetten's behalf?
3. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
4. In which month does Effi die?
5. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
2. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
3. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
4. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
5. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
6. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
7. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
8. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
9. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
10. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)