|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Effi and Innstetten meet fellow tourists, the von Penzes?
2. After passing the schloon, who does Effi ride alone with in the sleigh?
3. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
4. While on vacation in the summer, Effi hears of a town which shares its name with which of her acquaintances?
5. After returning to her parents' home, what illness does Effi catch in late summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
3. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
4. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
5. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
6. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
7. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
8. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
9. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
10. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)