|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Innstetten say Annie gets her temperament from?
2. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
3. Who flirts with Innstetten in Uvagla?
4. At dinner in Uvagla, who offers a toast to the forester?
5. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
2. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
3. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
4. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
5. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
6. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
7. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
8. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
9. What happens after the party traveling from Uvagla crosses the schloon?
10. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)