|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roswitha find when she is looking for Effi's long bandage?
2. What sort of lessons does Effi sign up for with an elderly teacher?
3. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
4. What illness does Dr. Hannemann treat Effi for?
5. What does Effi talk about with Jahnke when she visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
2. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
3. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
4. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
5. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
6. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
7. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
8. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
9. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
10. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)