|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
2. Who does Innstetten say Annie gets her temperament from?
3. What sort of lessons does Effi sign up for with an elderly teacher?
4. Before going to Berlin, what does Effi visit the chemist's to buy?
5. Who flirts with Innstetten in Uvagla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)