|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the duel, by what means does Innstetten travel back to Berlin?
2. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
3. Who does Innstetten say Annie gets her temperament from?
4. How long does Innstetten go to jail for his role in the duel?
5. Who does Innstetten ask to post some letters for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
2. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
3. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
4. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
5. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
6. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
7. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
8. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
9. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
10. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)