|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
2. After passing the schloon, who does Effi ride alone with in the sleigh?
3. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
4. To what position is Innstetten appointed in Chapter 35?
5. At dinner in Uvagla, who offers a toast to the forester?
Essay Topic 1
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Effi Briest", Theodor Fontane. Is he a respected writer? What other works has he written? Discuss his legacy.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)