|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In late summer after returning to her parents' house, what does Effi watch outside which leads her to catch an illness?
2. After returning to her parents' home, what illness does Effi catch in late summer?
3. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
4. Who does Innstetten ask to post some letters for him?
5. To what position is Innstetten appointed in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
2. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
3. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
4. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
5. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
6. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
7. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
8. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
9. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
10. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)