|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself over to like everyone else?
2. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
3. What song is sung at the dinner for the forester?
4. What is the "schloon"?
5. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
2. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
3. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
4. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
5. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
6. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
7. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
8. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
9. What do Effi's acquaintances in Berlin often swap anecdotes about?
10. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Effi Briest", Theodor Fontane. Is he a respected writer? What other works has he written? Discuss his legacy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of foreshadowing in the novel "Effi Breist".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)