|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since his duel with Crampas, what has Innstetten come to realize is important in life?
2. What is the name of the man who meets Effi and her traveling party in Uvagla?
3. How long does it take Effi to recover from her illness once she returns to Hohen-Cremmen?
4. What do Effi and her mother think of the apartment they see in Keithstrasse?
5. In which month does Effi die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)