|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After moving back to Hohen-Cremmen, where does Effi enjoy walking with Pastor Niemeyer?
2. Where does Effi live upon returning to Berlin from Ems?
3. Who flirts with Innstetten in Uvagla?
4. In Chapter 34, who writes to Effi's parents to say she should be with them?
5. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
2. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
4. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
5. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
6. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
7. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
8. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
9. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
10. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of the supernatural in the novel "Effi Briest". What elements of the supernatural are found in the story, and what purpose do they serve? What does the Chinaman ghost represent?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)