|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
2. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
3. In which month does Effi die?
4. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
5. While on vacation in the summer, Effi hears of a town which shares its name with which of her acquaintances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
2. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
3. Describe the poem, "God's Wall", which Effi knows from childhood.
4. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
5. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
6. How does Effi feel about Innstetten at the time of her death?
7. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
8. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
9. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
10. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Effi Briest" is based on a true story. How does the real story differ from the fictional retelling? Why might Fontane have made these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)