|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
2. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
3. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
4. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
5. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 3
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)