|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
2. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
3. What do the Briests fear will happen if Effi does NOT have another child?
4. After passing the schloon, who does Effi ride alone with in the sleigh?
5. What illness does Effi believe she is suffering when she is bedridden in Berlin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Effi Briest" is based on a true story. How does the real story differ from the fictional retelling? Why might Fontane have made these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)