|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Effi's mother seeing a doctor about in Berlin?
2. When does Innstetten begin his new job at the ministry?
3. Who does Innstetten ask to post some letters for him?
4. What illness does Dr. Hannemann treat Effi for?
5. Where does Effi live upon returning to Berlin from Ems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
2. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
3. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
4. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
5. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
6. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
7. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
8. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
9. Who does Effi coincidentally see on the horse tram, and what does she become inspired to do?
10. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fontane's use of foreshadowing in the novel "Effi Breist".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)