|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rather than love, what has Effi's father always believed his daughter feels for Innstetten?
2. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
3. In Chapter 22, what must Effi go to Berlin to do?
4. Since his duel with Crampas, what has Innstetten come to realize is important in life?
5. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
2. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
3. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
4. What happens after the party traveling from Uvagla crosses the schloon?
5. What upsets Effi about Annie's behavior?
6. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
7. Describe the poem, "God's Wall", which Effi knows from childhood.
8. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
9. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
10. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of foreshadowing in the novel "Effi Breist".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)