Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Innstetten think Effi will feel about the town she has just moved to?
2. What establishment is across the street from Innstetten's home?
3. How long has Innstetten known Frederich?
4. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
5. What office does Innstetten hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
2. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
3. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
4. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
5. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
6. How is Effi Briest described?
7. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
8. What does Effi think she hears overhead when she awakes in Kessin for the first time?
9. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
10. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)