|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
2. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
3. How does Effi's mother know Baron Innstetten?
4. What kind of home does Innstetten have?
5. How long do Effi and her mother stay in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
2. How is Effi Briest described?
3. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
4. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
5. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
6. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
7. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
8. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
9. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
10. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 2
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)