|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Innstetten think Effi will feel about the town she has just moved to?
2. What kind of train do Effi and Innstetten take to Berlin?
3. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
4. Who or what does Effi tell her father she could NOT have survived in Kessin without?
5. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
2. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
3. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
4. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
5. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
6. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
7. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
8. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
9. How is Effi Briest described?
10. What does Effi believe she sees in the night when Innstetten is away at Varzin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)