|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following descriptions is NOT used to describe Effi?
2. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
3. Three days after the wedding, where does a postcard arrive from for the Briests?
4. Where did Innstetten meet Crampas?
5. In Chapter 4, which of the following is NOT said must accompany love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Chinaman buried?
2. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
3. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
4. Who helps Effi after her husband and family abandon her?
5. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
6. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
7. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
8. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
9. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
10. In Chapter 18, what does Crampas decide to produce?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 2
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)