|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi's father suggest that makes her mother call him "incorrigible"?
2. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
3. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
4. In which month is the district commandant replaced?
5. When Effi awakes in her new home, what does she think she hears overhead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
2. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
3. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
4. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
5. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
6. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
7. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
8. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
9. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
10. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)