|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived in Effi's house before Innstetten?
2. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
3. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
4. Where do Crampas, Innstetten and Effi often go riding horses?
5. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said must accompany love for Effi's sake?
2. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
3. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
4. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
5. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
6. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
7. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself to?
8. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
9. What does the postman deliver to Effi when she is staying in Ems?
10. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)