|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Preparations for which holiday begin in Chapter 12?
2. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
3. What expression does Effi make when she reads Innstetten's letter in Chapter 4?
4. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
5. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
3. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
4. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
5. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
6. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
7. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
8. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
9. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
10. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)