|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Effi's father say would have been a better match for Innstetten?
2. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
3. What job does Effi offer Roswitha?
4. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
5. After dinner with Innstetten, who does Effi go to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
3. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
4. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
5. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
6. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
7. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
8. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
9. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
10. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)