|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month is Effi's wedding to take place?
2. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
3. From her new home, what can Effi see beyond the Plantation?
4. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
5. What does Marietta says destroys careers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
2. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
3. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
4. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
5. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
6. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
7. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
8. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
9. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
10. What does Effi believe she sees in the night when Innstetten is away at Varzin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)