|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Effi and her mother stay in Berlin?
2. Who says that Innstetten is "frosty as a snowman"?
3. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
4. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
5. Where did Innstetten meet Crampas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
2. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
3. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
4. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
5. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
6. Where is the Chinaman buried?
7. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
8. How is Effi Briest described?
9. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
10. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)