|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the von Briest family home face?
2. Who does Effi claim to love in Chapter 4?
3. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
4. Why does Crampas say Heine is his favorite poet?
5. What is the name of Innstetten's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
2. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
3. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
4. What does Effi believe she sees in the night when Innstetten is away at Varzin?
5. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
6. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
7. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
8. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
9. What does Innstetten warn Effi about Gieshübler before he leaves for work?
10. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Effi Briest", Theodor Fontane. Is he a respected writer? What other works has he written? Discuss his legacy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)