Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Innstetten think Effi will feel about the town she has just moved to?
2. What establishment is across the street from Innstetten's home?
3. How long has Innstetten known Frederich?
4. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
5. What office does Innstetten hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
2. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
3. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
4. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
5. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
6. How is Effi Briest described?
7. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
8. What does Effi think she hears overhead when she awakes in Kessin for the first time?
9. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
10. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)