|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the birth of her child, where does Effi intend to travel to?
2. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
3. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
4. What kind of home does Innstetten have?
5. What does Effi warn Roswitha about when she sees her in the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
2. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
3. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
4. Where is the Chinaman buried?
5. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
6. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
7. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
8. How is Effi Briest described?
9. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
10. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)