|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
2. What has the chemist sent to the Innstetten household as a gift?
3. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
4. What kind of house does Effi tell Innstetten she wants to live in when he returns from his business trip?
5. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Chinaman buried?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
3. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
4. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
5. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
6. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
7. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
8. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
9. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
10. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Fontane's use of irony in the novel "Effi Briest".
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)