|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner with Innstetten, who does Effi go to visit?
2. How does Innstetten think Effi will feel about the town she has just moved to?
3. Who is Dagobert?
4. How long does Innstetten give Effi to settle into her new home before scheduling visits for her?
5. What is the name of Innstetten's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
2. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
3. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
4. What does Effi believe she sees in the night when Innstetten is away at Varzin?
5. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
6. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
7. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
8. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
9. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
10. How does Effi say Innstetten treats her while they are on their honeymoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)