|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived in Effi's house before Innstetten?
2. What does Effi's mother tell her that Innstetten's intentions are by visiting?
3. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
4. After her wedding, where does Effi send her parents a full letter from?
5. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
2. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
3. How is Effi reminded of Crampas while on vacation with Innstetten?
4. What does Innstetten ask of Wüllersdorf in Chapter 28?
5. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
6. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
7. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
8. What does Effi think she hears overhead when she awakes in Kessin for the first time?
9. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
10. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Effi's loneliness during her marriage to Innstetten. What causes her loneliness? Is Innstetten to blame for her loneliness? Why or why not? Does Effi's loneliness excuse her affair with Crampas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Effi Briest" is based on a true story. How does the real story differ from the fictional retelling? Why might Fontane have made these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)