|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Effi and her friends give a sea burial?
2. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
3. What complaint does Roswitha have about her ex-mistress?
4. Where does Bismarck invite Innstetten to go?
5. What is Innstetten's dog named?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
2. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
3. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
4. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
5. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
6. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
7. Where is the Chinaman buried?
8. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
9. How is Effi Briest described?
10. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)