|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marietta says destroys careers?
2. What complaint does Effi have about her house, which will be relevant after the birth of her child?
3. On whose birthday does the christening of Effi's daughter take place?
4. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
5. What does Effi name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
3. What is said must accompany love for Effi's sake?
4. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
5. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
6. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
7. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
8. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
9. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
10. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)