|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
2. Preparations for which holiday begin in Chapter 12?
3. What animal does Crampas suggest hunting for in Chapter 16?
4. What has the chemist sent to the Innstetten household as a gift?
5. What does Effi name her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
2. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
3. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
4. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
5. Where is the Chinaman buried?
6. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
7. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
8. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
9. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
10. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)