|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town does Innstetten live as Landrat?
2. What do several of the people Effi visits with say she is infected with?
3. What do Effi and her friends give a sea burial?
4. Which of the following is NOT said of Innstetten?
5. Three days after the wedding, where does a postcard arrive from for the Briests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
2. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
3. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
4. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
5. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
6. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
7. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
8. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
9. How is Effi Briest described?
10. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 2
"Effi Briest" is an example of literary realism. What is literary realism and what are its characteristics? What makes "Effi Briest" an example of literary realism? Are there any elements of the novel which are not elements of literary realism? If so, why did Fontane choose to write the story in the way he did?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)