|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month is Effi's wedding to take place?
2. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
3. In what month does Effi return to Kessin from her parents' home?
4. What description are we given of Hulda's mother?
5. What does Innstetten suggest that he and Effi do before going to the reception that Gieshübler invited them to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
2. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
3. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
4. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
5. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
6. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
7. How is Effi Briest described?
8. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
9. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
10. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the adulterous relationship between Effi and Crampas affect them and those around them? What happens to Effi's life after Innstetten finds out about the affair?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 3
The novel "Effi Briest" tells the story of a young aristocratic daughter's marriage to an older Landrat. Her husband, Innstetten, is busy with his career, leaving his wife neglected. "Effi Briest" examines marriage during this era and what role both parties play in the marriage. How is Effi's life shaped in her role as the dutiful wife? How is Innstetten's role shaped as the working husband? Is the marriage between these two individuals successful? Why or why not? What obstacles does their marriage face?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)