Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Innstetten think Effi will feel about the town she has just moved to?
2. What establishment is across the street from Innstetten's home?
3. How long has Innstetten known Frederich?
4. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
5. What office does Innstetten hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
2. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
3. What happened to Roswitha in the past when she found out she was pregnant?
4. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
5. Who does Effi stay with when she goes house-hunting in Berlin?
6. How is Effi Briest described?
7. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
8. What does Effi think she hears overhead when she awakes in Kessin for the first time?
9. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
10. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of allegory in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Effi Briest". What happens at the end of the novel? Is it surprising, satisfying or open-ended? Did you enjoy the ending? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)