|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
2. How does Effi's father describe his daughter?
3. How long has Innstetten known Frederich?
4. After her wedding, where does Effi send her parents a full letter from?
5. Who does Effi say will suffice for her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
2. What does Effi believe she sees in the night when Innstetten is away at Varzin?
3. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
4. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
5. Where is the Chinaman buried?
6. What are Frau and Major Crampas like?
7. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
8. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
9. What do Effi and her father discuss about Rollo when she returns to Hohen-Cremmen for a visit?
10. What is said must accompany love for Effi's sake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the affair between Effi and Major Crampas. How does it come about? Why does Effi commit adultery? How does Effi feel about Crampas? How does Crampas feel about Effi? How does the affair end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)