|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner with Innstetten, who does Effi go to visit?
2. What has the chemist sent to the Innstetten household as a gift?
3. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
4. Who does Effi's mother joke that her daughter is in love with?
5. What does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Innstetten warn Effi about Gieshübler before he leaves for work?
2. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
3. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
5. How is Effi Briest described?
6. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
7. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
8. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
9. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
10. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social conventions of the time period in which the novel is set. How do the social conventions and moral code of the time affect the actions and reactions of the characters? How are the characters' lives shaped by these social conventions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of duty and honor in 19th century German society. Who personifies duty and honor in the story? How does the importance placed on duty and honor affect the lives of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the recurring motif of youth in the novel "Effi Briest". How does Fontane explore the theme and how does he portray it?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)