|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
2. What does Effi send to Innstetten in response to his letters?
3. What instrument does Effi sometimes play for her husband?
4. What expression does Effi make when she reads Innstetten's letter in Chapter 4?
5. What kind of train do Effi and Innstetten take to Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
2. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
3. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
4. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
5. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
6. What does Effi's father talk about after breakfast on the day after Effi's wedding?
7. How does Effi say Innstetten treats her while they are on their honeymoon?
8. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
9. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
10. Who does Effi's mother joke that Effi is in love with, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the place of women in this time period. What are the roles of women, and how is Effi's life affected by the constrictions placed on women at this time in history? How is her fate shaped by the male-dominated society in which she lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fontane's use of symbolism in the novel "Effi Briest".
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Effi Briest. What are her defining character traits? What major events take place in her life in the narrative? How is she affected by them?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)