|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is Effi's baby due to be delivered in?
2. Where does the von Briest family home stand?
3. Which of her relatives does Effi want to avoid in Berlin?
4. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
5. What is Innstetten's dog named?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Effi intend to go after her baby is born?
2. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
3. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
4. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
5. As she studies the surroundings of her new home, who does Effi see stroll past?
6. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
7. How is Effi Briest described?
8. What does Innstetten warn Effi about Gieshübler before he leaves for work?
9. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
10. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Effi Briest", Theodor Fontane. Is he a respected writer? What other works has he written? Discuss his legacy.
Essay Topic 2
Where and when does "Effi Briest" take place? How does the setting of the novel affect the plot and the characters? How would the story be different if it were told in modern times?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Effi and Innstetten. Why do they marry, and is their marriage a happy one? Why or why not? How does Innstetten treat Effi? What does he feel for her? How does Effi feel about Innstetten? How does their marriage end?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)