|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
(c) The sea-side.
(d) Down south.
2. How does Crampas treat Effi differently than the other cast members of the play?
(a) Crampas is less strict with Effi.
(b) Crampas only helps Effi memorize her lines.
(c) Crampas speaks to Effi more than anyone else.
(d) Crampas is less attentive to Effi.
3. What part does Innstetten need Wüllersdorf to play in his duel with Crampas?
(a) Innstetten needs Wüllersdorf to help him cheat.
(b) Innstetten needs Wüllersdorf to referee.
(c) Innstetten needs Wüllersdorf to be his second.
(d) Innstetten needs Wüllersdorf to tell Effi about the duel.
4. While staying in Ems, what does Effi notice suddenly stops?
(a) Birds singing outside.
(b) The arrival of letters from home.
(c) Frau Zwicker keeping her company.
(d) The rainy weather.
5. When does Innstetten begin his new job at the ministry?
(a) In April.
(b) In October.
(c) In July.
(d) In January.
Short Answer Questions
1. After returning to her parents' home, what illness does Effi catch in late summer?
2. What is the name of the man who meets Effi and her traveling party in Uvagla?
3. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
4. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
5. Who is killed in the duel at the end of Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
2. Why do Effi and Innstetten go to Uvagla?
3. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
4. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
5. After seven years in Berlin, why does Effi's doctor recommend that she leave the city for six weeks?
6. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
7. Why does Innstetten say he must duel with Crampas?
8. What does Johanna point out when Roswitha says what happened between Crampas and Effi happened long ago?
9. Why doesn't Effi travel to Switzerland or Menton when she is ill, even though the doctor recommends it?
10. What annoys Effi about Cora Ring?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)