|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Effi reads the registered letter?
(a) Effi becomes angry.
(b) Effi cries.
(c) Effi laughs.
(d) Effi faints.
2. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
(a) By train.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By steamer.
(d) By sailboat.
3. After the duel with Crampas, what consititutes a good day for Innstetten?
(a) Any day he makes it through without annoyance.
(b) Any day the sun is shining.
(c) Any day he sees his daughter.
(d) Any day he does not remember Effi.
4. Since his duel with Crampas, what has Innstetten come to realize is important in life?
(a) Social standing.
(b) The little things.
5. What does Roswitha say she would rather do than give birth again?
(a) Be stoned.
(c) Set herself on fire.
(d) Stick a needle in her eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Effi live upon returning to Berlin from Ems?
2. How does Crampas treat Effi differently than the other cast members of the play?
3. What part of Annie's education does Johanna take charge of?
4. Who are the Gizickis?
5. What does Innstetten say is passé in Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Effi's return trip to Kessin from Berlin postponed?
2. What is found one day after Annie cuts her head?
3. What does Effi hope will be helped by moving to Berlin?
4. In Chapter 34, who recommends that Effi go back to Hohen-Cremmen?
5. How does Effi say good-bye to Gieshübler?
6. How has Innstetten looked differently at life since the duel?
7. Why is Innstetten happier in Berlin than in Kessin?
8. What does Innstetten feel after learning of Effi's affair?
9. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request?
10. After the duel, what does Innstetten think he should have done instead?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)