|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What change has Innstetten seen in Effi since giving birth?
(a) She has stopped doting on him.
(b) She has become more seductive.
(c) She has become depressed.
(d) She has become mean.
2. Who does Effi's mother joke that her daughter is in love with?
(a) Major Crampas.
(c) Captain Thomsen.
3. Who says that Innstetten is "frosty as a snowman"?
(c) Sidonie Grasenabbs.
4. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
(a) To combat boredom.
(b) To pick on Effi.
(c) To scare his staff.
(d) To stand out.
5. Where does the barren road that Effi studies in Chapter 8 lead to?
(a) The beach.
(b) The church.
(c) An abandoned farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house does Effi tell Innstetten she wants to live in when he returns from his business trip?
2. What is the surname of Bertha and Hertha?
3. From her new home, what can Effi see beyond the Plantation?
4. What does Effi's father imagine Innstetten will drag his daughter to see?
5. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
2. Where is the Chinaman buried?
3. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
4. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
5. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
6. How do the Niemeyers respond to news of Effi's engagement?
7. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
8. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
9. Why does Crampas think Innstetten tells ghost stories?
10. What is said must accompany love for Effi's sake?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)