|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Effi and her mother stay in Berlin?
(a) Two days.
(b) One week.
(c) Four days.
(d) Two weeks.
2. How long has Innstetten known Frederich?
(a) Since birth.
(b) Since childhood.
(c) Since becoming Landrat.
(d) Since university.
3. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
(a) They were imprisoned.
(b) They were stoned.
(c) They were outcast.
(d) They were drowned.
4. In Chapter 4, which of the following is NOT said must accompany love?
5. When Effi awakes in her new home, what does she think she hears overhead?
(a) Music playing.
(b) Someone talking.
(d) Dresses sweeping on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived in Effi's house before Innstetten?
2. Who does Effi's father say would have been a better match for Innstetten?
3. In which month is the district commandant replaced?
4. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
5. What complaint does Roswitha have about her ex-mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does Innstetten see in Effi after she gives birth?
2. How is Effi Briest described?
3. Where is the Chinaman buried?
4. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
5. What is said must accompany love for Effi's sake?
6. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
7. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
8. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
9. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
10. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)