|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Effi name her daughter?
2. Who does Innstetten schedule visits with for Effi to meet?
(a) Local church leaders.
(b) His political colleagues.
(c) Their neighbors.
(d) Members of the landed aristocracy.
3. What does Innstetten suggest might happen if Gieshübler feels self-conscious?
(a) He will get tongue-tied.
(b) He will not come to the house anymore.
(c) He will lose his temper.
(d) He will distrust Effi.
4. How is Hulda Niemeyer's character described?
(a) As boring.
(b) As talkative.
(c) As negative.
(d) As generous.
5. According to Crampas, why does Innstetten tell ghost stories?
(a) To scare his staff.
(b) To pick on Effi.
(c) To stand out.
(d) To combat boredom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Innstetten meet Crampas?
2. Effi is invited to a reception in honor of whom?
3. In Chapter 4, which of the following is NOT said must accompany love?
4. Why does Crampas say Heine is his favorite poet?
5. What does Innstetten NOT do with Effi, which displeases her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
2. Why does Innstetten hope Effi will become well-liked?
3. Where is the Chinaman buried?
4. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
5. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
6. In Chapter 4, what does Effi's father think of the purchases she made in Berlin?
7. What does Effi's father think will be a problem in his daughter's marriage?
8. How is Effi Briest described?
9. What does Effi think she hears overhead when she awakes in Kessin for the first time?
10. What makes Effi feel better after seeing a ghost in her home?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)