|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the von Briest family home face?
(a) A farmer's field.
(b) A river.
(c) Sand dunes.
(d) The village street.
2. Where are Effi and her mother at the beginning of the book?
(a) Walking in town.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) In the sitting room.
(d) In the garden.
3. What does Effi think Innstetten looks like when she goes to visit him in his office in Chapter 6?
(a) An oriental prince.
(b) A magician.
(c) A fairy tale villain.
(d) A ghost.
4. What does Effi warn Roswitha about when she sees her in the graveyard?
(a) Catching a cold.
(b) Bothering the dead.
(d) Being late for work.
5. What does the chemist say he has been too fearful to ever ask of a woman?
(a) To go riding.
(b) To marry.
(c) To dance.
(d) To take a stroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Effi stay in Hohen-Cremmen?
2. What does Effi recall used to happen to adulterous women?
3. How long does Innstetten give Effi to settle into her new home before scheduling visits for her?
4. To which regiment does Dagobert belong?
5. In which month is the district commandant replaced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the aristocrats who meet Effi have to say about her?
2. Who are Effi's childhood friends?
3. What does Effi observe in the surroundings of her new home?
4. What does Effi's sea burial for the gooseberry skins remind her of?
5. How is Baron Geert von Innstetten acquainted with the Briest family?
6. How did Innstetten come to be named Landrat for Kessin?
7. Who are Innstetten's domestic servants?
8. What complaints does Roswitha have about her former employer?
9. What does Effi think of when she sees Innstetten in his office?
10. Who does Effi's father believe would have been a better match for Innstetten?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)