|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Gizickis?
(a) The owners of Berlin's newspaper.
(b) The Innstettens' upstairs neighbors.
(c) Innstetten's boss' family.
(d) The Briests' family friends.
2. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
3. How long does Innstetten go to jail for his role in the duel?
(a) He did not go to jail.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
4. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
5. Where do Innstetten and Crampas fight their duel?
(a) In front of Crampas' house.
(b) On a dirt road.
(c) In a farmer's field.
(d) On the beach.
6. In Chapter 34, what disease does Effi's doctor say she has developed a tendency for?
7. In Chapter 34, who writes to Effi's parents to say she should be with them?
(d) Dr. Rummschüttel.
8. How does Crampas treat Effi differently than the other cast members of the play?
(a) Crampas only helps Effi memorize her lines.
(b) Crampas is less strict with Effi.
(c) Crampas speaks to Effi more than anyone else.
(d) Crampas is less attentive to Effi.
9. In late summer after returning to her parents' house, what does Effi watch outside which leads her to catch an illness?
(a) Shooting stars.
(b) A hot air balloon.
(d) The sunset.
10. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
(a) She tutors Annie.
(b) She tends to yard work.
(c) She does the laundry.
(d) She oversees the kitchen.
11. While staying in Ems, what does Effi notice suddenly stops?
(a) The arrival of letters from home.
(b) Birds singing outside.
(c) The rainy weather.
(d) Frau Zwicker keeping her company.
12. A rumor circulates in Kessin that Innstetten will be assigned to a post in which country?
13. Why does Effi's mother suggest she stay in Berlin?
(a) Scandals are common there.
(b) Her daughter is there.
(c) She has no memories of Crampas there.
(d) It will be easy to find work there.
14. After the duel with Crampas, what consititutes a good day for Innstetten?
(a) Any day he does not remember Effi.
(b) Any day he sees his daughter.
(c) Any day the sun is shining.
(d) Any day he makes it through without annoyance.
15. What ancient artifact do Effi and Innstetten see at Lake Hertha?
(a) Cave paintings.
(b) A Roman bath.
(c) Ruins of a castle.
(d) Sacrificial stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Roswitha give birth to a child?
2. After passing the schloon, who does Effi ride alone with in the sleigh?
3. Who is Wüllersdorf?
4. Since his duel with Crampas, what has Innstetten come to realize is important in life?
5. What mode of transportation does the Innstetten party take from Kessin?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)