|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While staying in Ems, what does Effi notice suddenly stops?
(a) Birds singing outside.
(b) The rainy weather.
(c) Frau Zwicker keeping her company.
(d) The arrival of letters from home.
2. Who is killed in the duel at the end of Chapter 28?
(a) No one.
3. Three years after the truth about Effi's affair came out, where is she living?
(a) In Switzerland.
(b) In Kessin.
(c) In Hohen-Cremmen.
(d) On Königgrätzerstrasse.
4. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
(a) "The Miracle".
(b) "One False Step".
(c) "The Tutor".
(d) "The Biblical Way".
5. For which ailment does Effi's doctor recommend time away from Berlin in order to cure?
(a) A chest infection.
(d) Whooping cough.
6. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
7. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
(a) Five years.
(b) Fifteen months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Two years.
8. What does Effi dislike about the preacher at Christuskirche across the street from her flat?
(a) She doesn't think he is pious enough.
(b) He dwells on the Old Testament.
(c) She has seen him leer at women.
(d) She can tell he judges her for her actions in the past.
9. What does Roswitha find when she is looking for Effi's long bandage?
(a) An envelope full of money.
(b) A suspicious photograph.
(c) A bundle of letters.
(d) A lock of hair.
10. How long does it take Effi to recover from her illness once she returns to Hohen-Cremmen?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
11. At dinner in Uvagla, who offers a toast to the forester?
(c) Pastor Lindequist.
12. What does Roswitha write to Innstetten to request that he send to Effi at Hohen-Cremmen?
(b) Effi's piano.
(c) Her wedding dress.
13. How long does Innstetten go to jail for his role in the duel?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) He did not go to jail.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
14. What is the name of Effi's character in the play that Crampas produces?
15. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
(a) The Winter Tale.
(b) The Horse Race.
(c) The Wanderers.
(d) God's Wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
2. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
3. How does Crampas treat Effi differently than the other cast members of the play?
4. To what position is Innstetten appointed in Chapter 35?
5. Since his duel with Crampas, what has Innstetten come to realize is important in life?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)