|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Effi lived in Kessin by the time she leaves for Berlin?
(a) Two years.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Fifteen months.
(d) Five years.
2. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
3. Three years after the truth about Effi's affair came out, where is she living?
(a) In Hohen-Cremmen.
(b) In Switzerland.
(c) In Kessin.
(d) On Königgrätzerstrasse.
4. Where did Roswitha give birth to a child?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In a basement.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a clinic.
5. Why does Effi's mother suggest she stay in Berlin?
(a) She has no memories of Crampas there.
(b) It will be easy to find work there.
(c) Her daughter is there.
(d) Scandals are common there.
6. Where is Innstetten offered a ministry job?
7. What does Effi dislike about the preacher at Christuskirche across the street from her flat?
(a) She has seen him leer at women.
(b) She can tell he judges her for her actions in the past.
(c) He dwells on the Old Testament.
(d) She doesn't think he is pious enough.
8. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
(d) Her parents.
9. What mode of transportation does the Innstetten party take from Kessin?
(a) A train.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A yacht.
(d) A sailing ship.
10. What play does Crampas produce in Chapter 18?
(a) "The Tutor".
(b) "One False Step".
(c) "The Miracle".
(d) "The Biblical Way".
11. While on vacation in the summer, Effi hears of a town which shares its name with which of her acquaintances?
12. Who is Wüllersdorf?
(a) The Innstettens' neighbor.
(b) Roswitha's secret lover.
(c) Innstetten's colleague at the ministry.
(d) Annie's school teacher.
13. What part of Annie's education does Johanna take charge of?
(a) Teaching her religion.
(b) Teaching her to read and write.
(c) Teaching her manners.
(d) Teaching her household skills.
14. A rumor circulates in Kessin that Innstetten will be assigned to a post in which country?
15. What does the registered letter contain?
(a) A will and a note.
(b) A property deed and a note.
(c) Money and a note.
(d) A newspaper clipping and a note.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Gizickis?
2. What do Effi and her mother think of the apartment they see in Keithstrasse?
3. After the duel, by what means does Innstetten travel back to Berlin?
4. Where do Innstetten and Crampas fight their duel?
5. After the duel with Crampas, what consititutes a good day for Innstetten?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)