|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Innstetten travel to Kessin for his duel with Crampas?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By train.
(c) By steamer.
(d) By sailboat.
2. Why don't Cristel and Friedrich move to Berlin?
(a) They dislike the city.
(b) They are too old.
(c) They need to stay behind for their families.
(d) They are not wanted.
3. What ancient artifact do Effi and Innstetten see at Lake Hertha?
(a) Ruins of a castle.
(b) Cave paintings.
(c) Sacrificial stones.
(d) A Roman bath.
4. Where did Roswitha give birth to a child?
(a) In a clinic.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a basement.
(d) In a barn.
5. What does Roswitha find when she is looking for Effi's long bandage?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) A suspicious photograph.
(c) A bundle of letters.
(d) An envelope full of money.
6. After moving back to Hohen-Cremmen, where does Effi enjoy walking with Pastor Niemeyer?
(a) In town.
(b) Through fields.
(c) The beach.
(d) In the park.
7. How does Crampas treat Effi differently than the other cast members of the play?
(a) Crampas speaks to Effi more than anyone else.
(b) Crampas is less attentive to Effi.
(c) Crampas only helps Effi memorize her lines.
(d) Crampas is less strict with Effi.
8. What is Effi's mother seeing a doctor about in Berlin?
(a) Her back.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hearing.
(d) A chest infection.
9. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
(a) She tutors Annie.
(b) She does the laundry.
(c) She oversees the kitchen.
(d) She tends to yard work.
10. What is the name of the man who meets Effi and her traveling party in Uvagla?
11. What does Effi dislike about the preacher at Christuskirche across the street from her flat?
(a) He dwells on the Old Testament.
(b) She has seen him leer at women.
(c) She can tell he judges her for her actions in the past.
(d) She doesn't think he is pious enough.
12. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
(a) Down south.
(d) The sea-side.
13. When does Innstetten begin his new job at the ministry?
(a) In July.
(b) In April.
(c) In January.
(d) In October.
14. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
(a) God's Wall.
(b) The Wanderers.
(c) The Winter Tale.
(d) The Horse Race.
15. Why does Effi's mother suggest she stay in Berlin?
(a) She has no memories of Crampas there.
(b) Scandals are common there.
(c) It will be easy to find work there.
(d) Her daughter is there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is killed in the duel at the end of Chapter 28?
2. What does the registered letter contain?
3. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
4. In late summer after returning to her parents' house, what does Effi watch outside which leads her to catch an illness?
5. What do Effi and her mother think of the apartment they see in Keithstrasse?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)