|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After moving back to Hohen-Cremmen, where does Effi enjoy walking with Pastor Niemeyer?
(a) Through fields.
(b) In town.
(c) In the park.
(d) The beach.
2. What do the Briests fear will happen if Effi does NOT have another child?
(a) Innstetten will abandon her.
(b) The family name will die out.
(c) Annie will have to take over the family business.
(d) Annie will have a lonely childhood.
3. What does Roswitha say she would rather do than give birth again?
(a) Set herself on fire.
(b) Be stoned.
(d) Stick a needle in her eye.
4. Before going to Berlin, what does Effi visit the chemist's to buy?
(b) Smelling salts.
(d) Baby powder.
5. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
(a) A sundial.
(b) A bench.
(c) A statue.
(d) A birdbath.
6. Who are the Gizickis?
(a) Innstetten's boss' family.
(b) The Briests' family friends.
(c) The owners of Berlin's newspaper.
(d) The Innstettens' upstairs neighbors.
7. Three years after the truth about Effi's affair came out, where is she living?
(a) In Kessin.
(b) In Switzerland.
(c) In Hohen-Cremmen.
(d) On Königgrätzerstrasse.
8. Where do Innstetten and Crampas fight their duel?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In a farmer's field.
(c) In front of Crampas' house.
(d) On a dirt road.
9. What does Wüllersdorf say Innstetten should resign himself over to like everyone else?
(c) Family life.
(d) Hard work.
10. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
11. What illness does Effi believe she is suffering when she is bedridden in Berlin?
(b) Scarlet fever.
12. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
(a) A china cabinet.
(b) A sewing table.
(c) The bathroom cabinet.
(d) A dresser drawer.
13. Which poem does Effi ask Crampas about in Uvagla?
(a) The Wanderers.
(b) The Horse Race.
(c) God's Wall.
(d) The Winter Tale.
14. What does Innstetten say is passé in Berlin?
(a) Frilly dresses.
(b) Reading poetry.
15. What mode of transportation does the Innstetten party take from Kessin?
(a) A yacht.
(b) A train.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A sailing ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Living at Hohen-Cremmen, who does Effi wish she had as a companion?
2. Who offers help after Effi is abandoned by her husband and parents?
3. On her deathbed, what does Effie think of Innstetten for how he treated her?
4. While staying in Ems, what does Effi notice suddenly stops?
5. Why does Effi's mother suggest she stay in Berlin?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)