|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Innstetten say is passé in Berlin?
(a) Reading poetry.
(c) Frilly dresses.
2. In May, when Effi becomes ill at Hohen-Cremmen, where does her mother want to take her to convalesce?
(a) The sea-side.
(b) Down south.
3. A rumor circulates in Kessin that Innstetten will be assigned to a post in which country?
4. At dinner in Uvagla, who offers a toast to the forester?
(b) Pastor Lindequist.
5. What happens after Effi reads the registered letter?
(a) Effi faints.
(b) Effi cries.
(c) Effi becomes angry.
(d) Effi laughs.
6. Where does Johanna tell Roswitha to look for Effi's long bandage?
(a) A china cabinet.
(b) The bathroom cabinet.
(c) A dresser drawer.
(d) A sewing table.
7. What does Effi dislike about the preacher at Christuskirche across the street from her flat?
(a) He dwells on the Old Testament.
(b) She has seen him leer at women.
(c) She can tell he judges her for her actions in the past.
(d) She doesn't think he is pious enough.
8. In Chapter 34, who writes to Effi's parents to say she should be with them?
(c) Dr. Rummschüttel.
9. How long does Innstetten go to jail for his role in the duel?
(a) One week.
(b) He did not go to jail.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One year.
10. What does Innstetten feel toward Effi when he learns of her affair?
11. What is the name of Effi's character in the play that Crampas produces?
12. After the duel, who deals with the authorities on Innstetten's behalf?
(a) Effi's father.
(b) Innstetten himself.
13. Where do Effi and Frau Zwicker stay in Ems?
(a) A health spa.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A villa.
(d) A townhouse.
14. The Jahnkes twins marry men of which occupation?
(c) Military officers.
15. What is the "schloon"?
(a) A river.
(b) A village.
(c) A mountain pass.
(d) A bog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Innstetten feel he must duel with Crampas?
2. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
3. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
4. What ancient artifact do Effi and Innstetten see at Lake Hertha?
5. What does Roswitha say she would rather do than give birth again?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)