|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Roswitha's new household role in Berlin?
(a) She does the laundry.
(b) She tends to yard work.
(c) She oversees the kitchen.
(d) She tutors Annie.
2. In Chapter 34, who writes to Effi's parents to say she should be with them?
(d) Dr. Rummschüttel.
3. What is the name of Effi's doctor?
4. What does Innstetten say is passé in Berlin?
(c) Reading poetry.
(d) Frilly dresses.
5. After returning to her parents' home, what illness does Effi catch in late summer?
(a) A cold.
(b) The flu.
6. Who sends a registered letter to Effi in Ems?
(c) Her parents.
7. Who sits with Effi on the ride back from Uvagla until they reach the schloon?
8. When does Innstetten begin his new job at the ministry?
(a) In April.
(b) In October.
(c) In July.
(d) In January.
9. What is the name of the man who meets Effi and her traveling party in Uvagla?
10. What ancient artifact do Effi and Innstetten see at Lake Hertha?
(a) Cave paintings.
(b) Ruins of a castle.
(c) Sacrificial stones.
(d) A Roman bath.
11. Where does Innstetten consider going because he believes people there are unconstrained by culture and honor?
12. Who does Innstetten ask to post some letters for him?
13. What happens to Annie when she falls one day after school?
(a) She sprains her ankle.
(b) She loses consciousness.
(c) She cuts her head.
(d) She breaks her arm.
14. What does Innstetten want to be able to hear from his new home?
(a) Running water.
(c) Street noise.
(d) Church bells.
15. What happens after Effi reads the registered letter?
(a) Effi cries.
(b) Effi laughs.
(c) Effi faints.
(d) Effi becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is replaced by Effi's gravestone?
2. How long does Innstetten go to jail for his role in the duel?
3. Who are the Gizickis?
4. In which month does Effi die?
5. Who does Roswitha accuse Johanna of being in love with in Chapter 29?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)