Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Chapters 1-3 Abstract
* Effi Briest is a seventeen-year-old girl living in Hohen-Cremmen, Germany.
* Effi talks about her mother's former suitor, 38-year-old Baron Geert von Innstetten, with her childhood friends.
* Effi recalls that women used to be drowned for infidelity.
* Effi's mother tells her that Innstetten has asked to marry Effi.
* Effi's friends have reservations about her...
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)