* Effi Briest is a seventeen-year-old girl living in Hohen-Cremmen, Germany.
* Effi talks about her mother's former suitor, 38-year-old Baron Geert von Innstetten, with her childhood friends.
* Effi recalls that women used to be drowned for infidelity.
* Effi's mother tells her that Innstetten has asked to marry Effi.
* Effi's friends have reservations about her quick engagement - Effi says any handsome aristocrat will do.
* Effi and her mother return home from their shopping trip in Berlin.
* Effi's father declares that she should have a honeymoon.
* Effi smiles at Innstetten's letters, convincing her mother that their marriage will be ideal.
* Effi claims that she loves anyone who wishes her well, is kind and spoils her.
* Effi sends her parents cards and letters while on her honeymoon - she says Innstetten treats her well.
* Effi sees her new home in Kessin for the first time...
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)