|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a metaphor, Zora says she is "intimate with the _______."
2. Why were the actors entertained by Zora?
3. Eatonville was established as an all _______ town.
4. At her first job, Zora was trained to do what?
5. Whom does Zora cite on the subject of forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the actors of Gilbert and Sullivan tease Zora? What was her relationship with them?
2. What was the significance of the "Uncle" figure in Zora's life?
3. Why did Zora have a good relationship with white people?
4. How did Zora stand out with the others at Gilbert and Sullivan? Why did this aid her?
5. Why was the stepmother not happy in the Hurston family?
6. What was the unique racial make-up of Eatonville?
7. Why did Zora's family object to her mother's agreement to marry John Hurston?
8. How were the people of Eatonville able to know if a man was cheating on his wife?
9. Why wouldn't Zora return to her brother and his wife?
10. How did spite influence Zora's family? How strong was this spite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the pairing of Zora's early adulthood and her nature and how Zora can orchestrate all the elements of herself to her detriment or her favor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of P.M.P and how this relationship (and break up) embodied the essence of Zora.
Essay Topic 3
Zora explains she doesn't like to write about the "race problem." Discuss Zora's views on race sensation and how she treats race in her writing.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)