|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John Hurston treat his new wife?
(a) He was abusive.
(b) He treated her like a child.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He spoiled her.
2. Why was the stepmother jealous of Sarah?
(a) Sarah was married to an attractive man.
(b) Sarah had a strong connection with her father.
(c) Hurston's children liked Sarah, but not her.
(d) Sarah was very beautiful.
3. At her first job, Zora was trained to do what?
4. Whom does Zora cite on the subject of forgiveness?
(a) A priest.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her father.
5. Why was Zora fired?
(a) Her boss hit on her.
(b) They thought she was a thief.
(c) She neglected the kids.
(d) They couldn't afford her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her youth, what did Zora's parents try not to do to her?
2. Zora explains that her failure to finish school was not about her _______.
3. Zora believed that when children ask their parents questions they are making them _______.
4. Zora described the white man's relationship with her as _______.
5. What was the result of the teasing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Zora have a good relationship with white people?
2. Why was it difficult for Zora to find work when leaving home?
3. What was the unique racial make-up of Eatonville?
4. Did Zora's mother and father live happily ever after? Why or why not?
5. In "School Again," how was Zora able to overcome her struggles?
6. What was the future of Zora's relationship with the "Uncle"?
7. How did Zora stand out with the others at Gilbert and Sullivan? Why did this aid her?
8. What was the significance of the "Uncle" figure in Zora's life?
9. Why did Zora's family object to her mother's agreement to marry John Hurston?
10. Were there dual sides to Zora's personality? Are these positive or negative? Why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)