|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Zora stand out in the group at Gilbert & Sullivan?
(a) She was the only African-American.
(b) She had a vibrant personality.
(c) She was the only woman.
(d) She was the only one with an education.
2. Zora and the white men often did things like _______.
3. What role did the white man play in Zora's young life?
(a) He acted as a bodyguard.
(b) He became her new father.
(c) He secretly paid for school.
(d) He acted as an Uncle.
4. Zora believed that when children ask their parents questions they are making them _______.
(b) Pay attention to them.
(c) Spend money.
5. What was Zora's response to any man who was attracted to her?
(a) She told him to go away.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She flirted with him.
(d) She often didn't notice.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zora was almost fired, who stood up for her?
2. If someone took a small case to trial in Eatonville, what would happen?
3. Whom did Zora live with after being fired from her first job?
4. Zora felt she had not been adequately appreciated for ______________.
5. How did Sarah escape her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the future of Zora's relationship with the "Uncle"?
2. What tool largely defines Zora's writing? What effect does this have on the narrative?
3. What was the internal drama at Gilbert and Sullivan? Why did members of the troupe feel betrayed?
4. In terms of academics, why was Zora' work experience valuable but unfulfilling?
5. Why was the stepmother not happy in the Hurston family?
6. What was the significance of the "Uncle" figure in Zora's life?
7. What was the unique racial make-up of Eatonville?
8. In Eatonville, what was the expected protocol for handling a dispute? How did the townspeople respond if people deviated from this standard?
9. How did Zora stand out with the others at Gilbert and Sullivan? Why did this aid her?
10. Were there dual sides to Zora's personality? Are these positive or negative? Why?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)