|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was there pressure for Zora to write about "the race problem"?
(a) People told her it was her duty.
(b) She was not being pressured.
(c) She was a great writer.
(d) It is a cultural trend.
2. How did Big Sweet get her name?
(a) Her mother gave it to her.
(b) She liked candy.
(c) She was tough but also nice.
(d) She loved kids.
3. In New Orleans, Zora became involved in ______.
(a) The church.
(b) A gang.
(c) Volunteer work.
4. P.M.P was a wedge between Zora and her _______.
5. What aided Zora's creativity in her life?
(a) Her time with Gilbert and Sullivan.
(b) Southern artfulness.
(c) Her troubled family.
(d) Her great education.
6. To describe the social makeup of Polk County, Zora details dancing and ______.
7. When Zora would see her boyfriend walking by her house, she imagined he was doing what?
(a) Thinking of her.
(b) Buying her a gift.
(c) Ignoring her.
(d) Cheating on her.
8. Ethel Waters was very ______.
9. When did Zora discuss race?
(a) When she felt like it.
(b) When it was necessary.
(c) When someone asked her to.
(d) In poetry.
10. Zora's father is an expert at _________________.
(a) Getting people to convert.
(b) Convincing people of his ideas.
(c) Getting others to repent.
(d) Getting people to come to church.
11. For what was Leon Walter Young famous?
(a) His inidelities.
(b) Running off the governor.
(c) Fooling everyone.
(d) Cleaning up the city.
12. Why didn't Zora want to write about "the race problem"?
(a) She felt it was overdone.
(b) She didn't know what to say.
(c) She didn't want to make it an issue.
(d) She thought it was unimportant.
13. People were drawn to John Hurston's revivals because they were ______.
14. How did Zora's findings in Nassau influence her research?
(a) The stories were the same as Florida.
(b) She chose to quit the job.
(c) The stories became very popular.
(d) She realized what she'd been doing wrong.
15. What kind of men was Zora attracted to?
(a) Artistic men.
(b) Men with children.
(c) Older men.
(d) Wealthy men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Fanny Hurst and Zora similar?
2. Zora referred to white men as ______.
3. In her research in the South, Zora was assigned to gather ______.
4. While at Barnard, Zora's work and school lives began to ______.
5. To whom did Leon Walter Young not cow-tow?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)