|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Zora cite on the subject of forgiveness?
(a) Her friends.
(b) A priest.
(c) Her father.
2. Eatonville was founded after what war?
(a) World War I.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
3. What effect did Maitland have on Eatonville?
(a) Their support contributed to its success.
(b) They took it over.
(c) They controlled the government.
(d) They helped real estate value.
4. Why were the actors entertained by Zora?
(a) She was a good dancer.
(b) She teased the manager.
(c) She was smart.
(d) She was clever with words.
5. In her youth, what did Zora's parents try not to do to her?
(a) Break her spirit.
(b) Yell at her.
(c) Make her think much.
(d) Spoil her.
6. Aside from their relationship, what did Zora's mother's marriage affect between her mother and grandmother?
(a) Their health.
(b) Her inheritance.
(c) Her talent.
(d) Her security.
7. What role did the white man have in the Hurstons' lives?
(a) He was not very physically present.
(b) He blackmailed John.
(c) He paid for their food.
(d) He moved in and helped with housework.
8. Zora's parents felt very ______ during her youth.
9. In terms of race, John Hurston was _______.
(b) Black and white.
10. Zora described the white man's relationship with her as _______.
11. Before meeting up with Gilbert & Sullivan, Zora felt _____.
12. Zora's nature was contradictory to ___________.
(a) Her self perception.
(b) Her actions.
(c) Gender role expectations.
(d) Her upbringing.
13. Why was the stepmother jealous of Sarah?
(a) Sarah was married to an attractive man.
(b) Hurston's children liked Sarah, but not her.
(c) Sarah had a strong connection with her father.
(d) Sarah was very beautiful.
14. What was the age difference between Zora's mother and father?
(a) She was older than Zora's father.
(b) It was never discussed.
(c) He was older than Zora's mother.
(d) They were the same age.
15. How were difficulties resolved in Eatonville?
(a) By fines.
(b) Outside of court.
(c) They weren't.
(d) By the cours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zora and the white men often did things like _______.
2. Why does Zora flash back to Zora's mother and grandmother?
3. Zora was able to make friends at school despite ________.
4. Zora describes Joe Clark's porch as a ________.
5. Zora describes the day her mother gave birth as ______.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)