|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zora believed that when children ask their parents questions they are making them _______.
(c) Pay attention to them.
(d) Spend money.
2. What effect did Maitland have on Eatonville?
(a) They helped real estate value.
(b) They took it over.
(c) They controlled the government.
(d) Their support contributed to its success.
3. What was especially tragic about Zora's mother's death?
(a) She died early.
(b) She was alone.
(c) She died suddenly.
(d) She died slowly.
4. Zora and the white men often did things like _______.
5. Whom did Zora live with after being fired from her first job?
(a) In an alley.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Some friends.
(d) A homeless shelter.
6. What was Zora's response to any man who was attracted to her?
(a) She told him to go away.
(b) She often didn't notice.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She flirted with him.
7. What did Zora do to her stepmother?
(a) Cut her hair.
(b) Attacked her.
(c) Blackmailed her.
(d) Stole her money.
8. What ended John Hurston's new marriage?
(a) His financial troubles.
(b) He defended Zora and not the stepmother.
(c) His wife's infidelities.
(d) The children ran the stepmother out.
9. Where was Zora's mother's midwife during the birth?
(a) On call, but nowhere to be found.
(b) In Texas.
(c) In the room.
(d) In the kitchen.
10. Who founded Eatonville?
(a) African Americans.
(c) The French.
11. Before meeting up with Gilbert & Sullivan, Zora felt _____.
12. Why did Zora's mother give in to Hurston?
(a) She had no other options.
(b) She thought he'd eventually leave.
(c) He was very charming.
(d) Her parents made her.
13. Eatonville was founded after what war?
(a) World War I.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War II.
14. Zora's mother showed no interest in Hurston _____.
(b) While she was in school.
(d) While he was a farmer.
15. Zora explains that her failure to finish school was not about her _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on Joe Clark's porch?
2. Zora's parents felt very ______ during her youth.
3. If someone took a small case to trial in Eatonville, what would happen?
4. If a fistfight occurred in Eatonville, how was it handled?
5. Zora's brother intended to help her ___________.
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)