|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people shout at Ysrael?
2. What country is Howie from?
3. What famous person does Yunior compare the boyfriend's voice to?
4. What country is the delivery man from the Japanese restaurant from?
5. What can Ysrael smell on the pig's breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Yunior not forget about his girlfriend?
2. How does Pruit almost get Yunior fired?
3. Why does Yunior need to avoid Howie when he is on a date?
4. How do the boys injure Ysrael?
5. Why does Yunior think the boyfriend is going to leave his girlfriend?
6. Why does Yunior think the couple must be models?
7. What does Yunior do in the shop?
8. How does Papi plan to get his family to the USA?
9. How does Papi put Mami and the children into trouble?
10. Why does Yunior like listening to the couple in the bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way Diaz uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is the generational gap expressed in Drown particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Yunior's character to the person he was in the Dominican Republic he is at the end of the book.
1) What does Yunior hope to achieve in America?
2) What events changes Yunior's ideas about life?
3) How has Yunior's character changed by the end of the novel?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)