|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Rafa and the older kids doing in the bedroom?
2. What did Yunior and Beto used to do at the mall?
3. Who is the narrator's girlfriend making out with when he wakes up?
4. What country is the first story set in?
5. What does Rafa call the girl's large breasts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mami afraid of living in her apartment?
2. How does Papi try to prevent the narrator from eating at the party?
3. How does the narrator spend the evening with his girlfriend?
4. How is school difficult for the narrator?
5. Why is Papi upset with the narrator?
6. What happens to Rafa and the narrator on the bus?
7. How does the narrator feel when his girlfriend is released from the juvenile hall?
8. Why did the narrator and his brother spend their summers with their uncle?
9. How were the narrator and his friend Beto out of control?
10. How do the family react when Papi sends them a second letter saying he is coming home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ignatius has a difficult relationship with his father. Why is a father's relationship with his child so important? How has Yunior' relationship with his father shaped his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Yunior's upbringing has effected one of the following areas in his life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Write a 500-word essay revolving around one of the following statements.
1) In Drown, Diaz portrays Latino culture in a negative light.
2) The book is about growing up and the final two stories, told from different points of view, shows how far Yunior had come from the early days of drug dealing and stealing.
3) Yunior's stealing and homophobic behavior is the side product of poverty and being an outsider.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)