|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Mami buy to slaughter?
2. What transport do Mami and Yunior take to the mall?
3. Where has the narrator's father gone to?
4. What does Yunior remember his father wearing?
5. What does Yunior call his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Rafa and the narrator on the bus?
2. Who do the narrator and Cut sell drugs to?
3. Why does Papi push his way to the shower as soon as he arrives home?
4. How does the narrator feel when his girlfriend is released from the juvenile hall?
5. Why is Mami afraid of living in her apartment?
6. How does Ysrael try to help the two boys?
7. What does Papi tell Mami on the phone?
8. Why did the narrator and his brother spend their summers with their uncle?
9. What does the reader know about Papi from the other stories?
10. What is happening when the narrator returns with the burgers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yunior has a close relationship with his mother. Why is a mother's relationship with her child so important? How has Yunior' relationship with his mother shaped his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Yunior's upbringing has effected one of the following areas in his life.
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Diaz's writing style. How would you describe Diaz's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Diaz's style give to the story?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)