|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rafa like telling his brother stories about?
2. What transport do Mami and Yunior take to the mall?
3. What country is the narrator's aunt and uncle moving to?
4. What does the narrator compare his girlfriend's skinniness to?
5. What is Ysrael doing in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Papi upset with the narrator?
2. Why is Mami afraid of living in her apartment?
3. Why does Papi push his way to the shower as soon as he arrives home?
4. What is happening when the narrator returns with the burgers?
5. How does Ysrael try to help the two boys?
6. How were the narrator and his friend Beto out of control?
7. How do the family react when Papi sends them a second letter saying he is coming home?
8. How does the narrator feel when his girlfriend is released from the juvenile hall?
9. How does the narrator spend the evening with his girlfriend?
10. In what condition is the narrator's girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Diaz's writing style. How would you describe Diaz's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Diaz's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Ignatius has a difficult relationship with his father. Why is a father's relationship with his child so important? How has Yunior' relationship with his father shaped his character?
Essay Topic 3
Drown is a collection of short stories. What are the differences between a short story and a novel in terms of the following?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)