|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence: His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
2. What is crystallography?
3. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
4. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
5. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the crystallized images important?
2. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
3. What does Watson think Rosy may do when she comes towards him during their argument?
4. What was the underlying reason behind Sir Lawrence having Watson and Crick stop working on the structure of DNA?
5. What did Watson hope to apply Pauling's method to?
6. When Watson told Maurice about Pauling working on the DNA structure, what was Maurice more concerned with at the immediate moment?
7. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
8. What happened when Watson went to work trying to apply his pairs theory to the new base structures?
9. How did Maurice feel about Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
10. Why did Watson sense a disaster with his sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the statement that Watson is only enthusiastic about learning when something is practical and relevant immediately, otherwise, he places no value in learning. Use information from the text to support your evaluation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the term self-deprecating could be used to describe Watson's own humor throughout the novel. Be sure to include examples from the book to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how a competitive streak drives scientists. Use examples from the text to show an example of this idea.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)