|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
2. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
3. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
4. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
5. Which of the following characters didn't believe that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement did Rosy make about the idea that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
2. What did Crick tell Watson they had found?
3. What did Watson hope to apply Pauling's method to?
4. What two things was Watson interested in with regards to learning the structure of DNA ?
5. What was the force that continued to drive Watson?
6. What does Watson's new informaiton about DNA lead to him to question?
7. What is Watson's position on life and work?
8. In the forward, Bragg describes the following story as what kind?
9. Describe Francis Crick's home.
10. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the statement that Watson is only enthusiastic about learning when something is practical and relevant immediately, otherwise, he places no value in learning. Use information from the text to support your evaluation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how the title of the novel provides insight to the savvy reader throughout the chapters. Explain in detail your rationale.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how a competitive streak drives scientists. Use examples from the text to show an example of this idea.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)