|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Watson's fellowship?
2. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
3. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
4. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
5. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Watson gotten a place to leave in Clare College?
2. What has Watson done on a social aspect while trying to make X-ray photographs?
3. What is Watson's position on life and work?
4. What happened when Watson went to work trying to apply his pairs theory to the new base structures?
5. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
6. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
7. What statement did Rosy make about the idea that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
8. What did Watson attribute much of their success to?
9. What new information was revealed when Pauling appeared unexpectedly at the meeting?
10. Why did Watson and Crick think that the DNA structure was more complicated than the structure discovered by Pauling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about scientific ethics. Include answers to the following questions:Rosy has been difficult for Maurice to work with, but does he have the right to secretly copy her images? Does he have a right to show those images to Watson, and does Watson have a right to use these images to move forward his own work? Does Rosy have a right to keep her work secret, when it could be used to further science?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the character of Rosy in an in-depth manner. Relate her description, actions and ideas to the concept of women in a male dominated field during the 1950s. Make an evaluation of these ideas and concepts and present them with support from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the author's depiction of women throughout the novel. Provide specific examples of depictions aligning with physical descriptions and whether or not you believe they are fair and accurate.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)