|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence: Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
3. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
4. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
5. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the underlying reason behind Sir Lawrence having Watson and Crick stop working on the structure of DNA?
2. Why did Watson and Crick think that the DNA structure was more complicated than the structure discovered by Pauling?
3. What has Watson done on a social aspect while trying to make X-ray photographs?
4. Why were the crystallized images important?
5. What does Watson's new informaiton about DNA lead to him to question?
6. In what way might this book be considered an apology for the winning of the Nobel Prize by Watson and Crick?
7. What realization did Watson come to years after their discovery of the structure of DNA in regards to Rosy?
8. What happened when Watson went to work trying to apply his pairs theory to the new base structures?
9. What did Francis's solution about the coils do for him professionally?
10. What concerned Maurice about Linus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Write an essay about the author's depiction of women throughout the novel. Provide specific examples of depictions aligning with physical descriptions and whether or not you believe they are fair and accurate.
Essay Topic 2Write an essay evaluating the statement that Watson is only enthusiastic about learning when something is practical and relevant immediately, otherwise, he places no value in learning. Use information from the text to support your evaluation.
Essay Topic 3Write an essay explaining why Watson was referred to as a "mad Englishman." Use specific examples from the reading to support your writing.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)