Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
2. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
3. In what year did the author meet Crick?
4. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
5. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Watson and Crick have done if Maurice had told them it bothered him that they were working on the structure of DNA?
2. In what way might this book be considered an apology for the winning of the Nobel Prize by Watson and Crick?
3. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
4. What was Francis Crick's first real scientific triumph?
5. What new information was revealed when Pauling appeared unexpectedly at the meeting?
6. Why was it illegal for Watson to move to Cambridge?
7. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
8. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
9. What was the force that continued to drive Watson?
10. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Rosy seems very agitated and almost at the point of violence. Write an essay about this event including: Where does this fit of temper come from? Is it truly as the author describes it or is it somehow misinterpreted by him?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Watson portrays himself throughout the novel as slightly behind the other scientists. Use specific examples from the novel to support your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the theme of integrating the work of science with outside diversions, merging a scientist's work with his life portrayed throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)