|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
2. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
3. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
4. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
5. On what topic was Rosy's talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maurice feel about Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
2. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
3. What did Rosy seem to believe that research on DNA would require?
4. How is the character of Rosy portrayed by the author?
5. What does Watson do that Crick is unhappy with?
6. What would Francis find awkward in regards to the problem of DNA?
7. In what way did Watson technically break the terms of his fellowship?
8. If Crick had been fired by Sir Lawrence, why might he have found it difficult to find a new job?
9. Why did Watson go ahead with the move to Cambridge before he had permission?
10. What happened when Watson went to work trying to apply his pairs theory to the new base structures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the scientific process can be seen throughout this novel. Use specific examples and key words from the scientific process such as hypothesis, test, control, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the theme of integrating the work of science with outside diversions, merging a scientist's work with his life portrayed throughout the novel. Be sure to include specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay of Watson and Crick's motivations to complete work. How were they the same? How were they different? Include specific examples to explain your conclusions.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)