|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
2. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
3. Which of the following types of work was Watson enthusiastic about beginning?
4. Which of the following is the best term for chains of nucleotides?
5. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed during the normally social lunch period in the Cambridge lab?
2. What did Watson and Crick find about the bonds that held together DNA?
3. What was the topic of Rosy and Maurice's papers?
4. What does Watson think Rosy may do when she comes towards him during their argument?
5. What did Crick accuse Sir Lawrence of?
6. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
7. What two things was Watson interested in with regards to learning the structure of DNA ?
8. How did Francis feel about Watson's work with bacteria?
9. Why did Herman tell Watson that he was in no state to teach the student biochemistry?
10. Why were the crystallized images important?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the character of Rosy in an in-depth manner. Relate her description, actions and ideas to the concept of women in a male dominated field during the 1950s. Make an evaluation of these ideas and concepts and present them with support from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the author's depiction of women throughout the novel. Provide specific examples of depictions aligning with physical descriptions and whether or not you believe they are fair and accurate.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about scientific ethics. Include answers to the following questions:Rosy has been difficult for Maurice to work with, but does he have the right to secretly copy her images? Does he have a right to show those images to Watson, and does Watson have a right to use these images to move forward his own work? Does Rosy have a right to keep her work secret, when it could be used to further science?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)