|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
2. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
3. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
4. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
5. What did Crick and Watson have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Watson attribute much of their success to?
2. How is the character of Rosy portrayed by the author?
3. How many bases are there in DNA?
4. In the forward, Bragg describes the following story as what kind?
5. What was the underlying reason behind Sir Lawrence having Watson and Crick stop working on the structure of DNA?
6. Who typed Watson and Crick's paper?
7. In what way might this book be considered an apology for the winning of the Nobel Prize by Watson and Crick?
8. What does Watson do that Crick is unhappy with?
9. If Crick had been fired by Sir Lawrence, why might he have found it difficult to find a new job?
10. What did Crick accuse Sir Lawrence of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the issue of a person's politics affecting his ability to travel to complete his work (such as Pauling being unable to travel to the conference in London). Compare this even in the book to current events throughout your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how a competitive streak drives scientists. Use examples from the text to show an example of this idea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Watson portrays himself throughout the novel as slightly behind the other scientists. Use specific examples from the novel to support your writing.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)