|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
2. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
3. Which of the following events interrupted Crick's interest in DNA?
4. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
5. Which of the following is the best term for chains of nucleotides?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Crick tell Watson they had found?
2. What statement did Rosy make about the idea that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
3. Why did Herman tell Watson that he was in no state to teach the student biochemistry?
4. What did Watson and Crick find about the bonds that held together DNA?
5. In what way might this book be considered an apology for the winning of the Nobel Prize by Watson and Crick?
6. How did Watson and Crick get Rosy's measurements at their Cambridge lab?
7. How was Odile going to help Watson with his problem with eating the food at the local restaurants?
8. What two things was Watson interested in with regards to learning the structure of DNA ?
9. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
10. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Rosy seems very agitated and almost at the point of violence. Write an essay about this event including: Where does this fit of temper come from? Is it truly as the author describes it or is it somehow misinterpreted by him?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the final structure of DNA. Use specific terminology about the bases in your writing. End your essay with a visual diagram to help clarify your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how a competitive streak drives scientists. Use examples from the text to show an example of this idea.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)