|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
2. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
3. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
4. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
5. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Maurice feel about Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
2. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
3. What did Watson attribute much of their success to?
4. How was Odile going to help Watson with his problem with eating the food at the local restaurants?
5. How had Watson gotten a place to leave in Clare College?
6. How many bases are there in DNA?
7. Why did Watson and Crick want a new start?
8. How is the character of Rosy portrayed by the author?
9. How did Watson and Crick get Rosy's measurements at their Cambridge lab?
10. Why did Herman tell Watson that he was in no state to teach the student biochemistry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the final structure of DNA. Use specific terminology about the bases in your writing. End your essay with a visual diagram to help clarify your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how important human interaction was throughout the scientific process. Use specific examples from the reading to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about scientific ethics. Include answers to the following questions:Rosy has been difficult for Maurice to work with, but does he have the right to secretly copy her images? Does he have a right to show those images to Watson, and does Watson have a right to use these images to move forward his own work? Does Rosy have a right to keep her work secret, when it could be used to further science?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)