|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
2. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
3. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
4. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
5. What is crystallography?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Francis Crick's home.
2. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
3. If Crick had been fired by Sir Lawrence, why might he have found it difficult to find a new job?
4. How is the character of Rosy portrayed by the author?
5. Why was it illegal for Watson to move to Cambridge?
6. Describe Crick as seen through Watson's eyes.
7. What was Francis Crick's first real scientific triumph?
8. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
9. What did Crick tell Watson they had found?
10. What was the force that continued to drive Watson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the author's depiction of women throughout the novel. Provide specific examples of depictions aligning with physical descriptions and whether or not you believe they are fair and accurate.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the novel, Rosy seems very agitated and almost at the point of violence. Write an essay about this event including: Where does this fit of temper come from? Is it truly as the author describes it or is it somehow misinterpreted by him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the idea that scientists within the scientific community often speak different languages. This refers to the language of disciplines, not the language of countries.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)