|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following events interrupted Crick's interest in DNA?
(b) Personal health issue
(c) Conflict in the lab
(d) Death in his family
2. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(b) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(c) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(d) It had a model of DNA in it
3. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To accept a new job
(b) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(c) To return to work
(d) To speak at a meeting in London
4. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
(a) The Times
5. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
(a) Linus Pauling
(b) Maurice Wilkins
(c) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(d) Roy Markahm
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence: His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
2. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
3. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
4. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
5. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
2. What was the underlying reason behind Sir Lawrence having Watson and Crick stop working on the structure of DNA?
3. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
4. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
5. Why did Watson go ahead with the move to Cambridge before he had permission?
6. What was Francis Crick's first real scientific triumph?
7. What would Francis find awkward in regards to the problem of DNA?
8. Describe Francis Crick's home.
9. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
10. What realization did Watson come to years after their discovery of the structure of DNA in regards to Rosy?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)