|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a model of DNA in it
(b) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(c) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(d) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
2. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
(a) She realized he had had an important breakthrough
(b) She totally understood all of his work
(c) She knew his long hours would soon be over
(d) She saw that he was becoming good friends with Watson
3. Which of the following events interrupted Crick's interest in DNA?
(a) Personal health issue
(b) Conflict in the lab
(d) Death in his family
4. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
(a) Worked in the lab on the problem against his directive
(b) Didn't try to change his decision
(c) Begged him to be allowed to continue to work on the problem
(d) Tried to convince him to change his mind
5. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
(a) His fellowship had run out of money
(b) A new chairman was named
(c) Transfers were not allowed under his fellowship agreement
(d) The person he wanted to switch to work with rejected his plan
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is Watson's interest?
2. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
3. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
4. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
5. What happened to Watson's fellowship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it illegal for Watson to move to Cambridge?
2. What did Rosy seem to believe that research on DNA would require?
3. Why did Herman tell Watson that he was in no state to teach the student biochemistry?
4. What does Watson do that Crick is unhappy with?
5. How did Maurice think it would be best to find a model of DNA?
6. Describe Crick as seen through Watson's eyes.
7. Why did Watson sense a disaster with his sister?
8. What pattern does Watson's trip to Paris continue to demonstrate?
9. Describe Francis Crick's home.
10. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)