|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For not paying the rent
(b) For making too much noise during the day
(c) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
(d) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
2. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
(a) Proton Order and diffraction
(c) X-rays of crystallized DNA molecules
(d) Diffraction of X-rays by helical molecules
3. Which of the following terms describes how Watson felt about working at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge?
(a) Hated it
(b) Love it
(c) Disliked it
(d) Liked it
4. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
5. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
(a) Structure of proteins
(b) Picture of crystallized DNA
(c) Crystallized helix poliomyelitis
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
2. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
3. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
4. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
5. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
2. What did Watson attribute much of their success to?
3. What did Francis's solution about the coils do for him professionally?
4. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
5. What must be allowed when the structure of DNA is solved?
6. What was the underlying reason behind Sir Lawrence having Watson and Crick stop working on the structure of DNA?
7. What does Watson's new informaiton about DNA lead to him to question?
8. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
9. How did Maurice think it would be best to find a model of DNA?
10. How many bases are there in DNA?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)