|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a model of DNA in it
(b) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(c) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(d) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
2. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Aluminum wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Tin wire
(d) Copper wire
3. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
4. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a day
(b) About a year
(c) About a week
(d) About a month
5. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(b) United States
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
2. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
3. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
4. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
5. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Watson technically break the terms of his fellowship?
2. What did Watson want to study after hearing Pauling's lecture?
3. What new information was revealed when Pauling appeared unexpectedly at the meeting?
4. What must be allowed when the structure of DNA is solved?
5. Why did Watson decline the invitation to speak at a meeting in the United States?
6. Why didn't Crick attend the lecture?
7. What bothered Crick about his wife's relationship with Elizabeth?
8. How did Maurice feel about Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
9. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
10. How was Odile going to help Watson with his problem with eating the food at the local restaurants?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)