|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
2. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) King's College
(b) Cambridge Lab
(c) Stockholm College
(d) Copenhagen University
3. On what topic was Rosy's talk?
(a) X-ray diffraction by helical molecules
(b) Crystallographic research into DNA
(c) X-ray crystallographic research into helical molecules
(d) X-ray diffraction of crystallographic molecules
4. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
(b) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
(c) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
(d) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
5. Which of the following best describes how Watson responded to Pauling's journal articles?
(a) Watson despised Pauling's articles
(b) They were over Watson's head
(c) Watson disagreed with Pauling's articles
(d) Watson was jealous of Pauling
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following types of work was Watson enthusiastic about beginning?
2. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
3. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
4. How does DNA carry information?
5. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
2. How did Maurice feel about Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
3. What realization did Watson come to years after their discovery of the structure of DNA in regards to Rosy?
4. Why did Watson and Crick want a new start?
5. What new information was revealed when Pauling appeared unexpectedly at the meeting?
6. What would Francis find awkward in regards to the problem of DNA?
7. How had Watson gotten a place to leave in Clare College?
8. What did Watson hope to apply Pauling's method to?
9. Why did Herman tell Watson that he was in no state to teach the student biochemistry?
10. What changed during the normally social lunch period in the Cambridge lab?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)