|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
(a) So they would understand his needs and desires
(b) To convince them to let him work with Markham
(c) To show his interest in biochemistry
(d) So they would approve his transfer
2. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
(a) Before the phosphorus atoms were completed
(b) When they received the new model components
(c) When they understood the final structure
(d) As they added details to the models
3. Which of the following characters wrote a paper describing his idea for the helix theory?
(c) Sir Lawrence
4. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
5. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He drinks
(b) He stops working
(c) He concentrates on the wrong things
(d) He looks for a woman to keep him company
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms describes how Watson felt about working at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge?
2. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
3. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
4. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence: Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Francis find awkward in regards to the problem of DNA?
2. What did Watson attribute much of their success to?
3. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
4. What does Watson's new informaiton about DNA lead to him to question?
5. What realization did Watson come to years after their discovery of the structure of DNA in regards to Rosy?
6. Why did Watson and Crick think that the DNA structure was more complicated than the structure discovered by Pauling?
7. What bothered Crick about his wife's relationship with Elizabeth?
8. How did Maurice think it would be best to find a model of DNA?
9. What pattern does Watson's trip to Paris continue to demonstrate?
10. What two things was Watson interested in with regards to learning the structure of DNA ?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)