|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
2. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a month
(b) About a day
(c) About a year
(d) About a week
3. What happened to Watson's fellowship?
4. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Copper wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Aluminum wire
(d) Tin wire
5. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(b) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(c) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(d) It had a model of DNA in it
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
2. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
3. On what topic had Bragg, Kendrew and Perutz published a paper?
4. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
5. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it illegal for Watson to move to Cambridge?
2. What did Watson hope to apply Pauling's method to?
3. Why was Pauling not able to speak at the scientific conference in London?
4. What statement did Rosy make about the idea that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
5. Describe Crick as seen through Watson's eyes.
6. What would Watson and Crick have done if Maurice had told them it bothered him that they were working on the structure of DNA?
7. What did Crick tell Watson they had found?
8. What did Crick accuse Sir Lawrence of?
9. In the forward, Bragg describes the following story as what kind?
10. How did Maurice think it would be best to find a model of DNA?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)