|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(b) It was unimportant
(c) It was the next great breakthrough
(d) It was already solved
2. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
(b) The Times
3. In what year did the author meet Crick?
4. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
(a) To show his interest in biochemistry
(b) So they would approve his transfer
(c) So they would understand his needs and desires
(d) To convince them to let him work with Markham
5. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
(a) Bullet proof vests
(b) Medical advances
(d) Magnetic mines
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
2. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
3. Which of the following did Crick lack when it came to the type of research needed for a PhD thesis?
4. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
5. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Watson and Crick have done if Maurice had told them it bothered him that they were working on the structure of DNA?
2. In what way might this book be considered an apology for the winning of the Nobel Prize by Watson and Crick?
3. What specific information was Crick interested in from Rosy's lecture that Watson had a difficult time retrieving?
4. What was Francis Crick's first real scientific triumph?
5. What new information was revealed when Pauling appeared unexpectedly at the meeting?
6. Why was it illegal for Watson to move to Cambridge?
7. How did Delbruck feel about Watson's TMV discovery and the comparison Watson made between Crick and Pauling?
8. Why did Wilkins come to Naples?
9. What was the force that continued to drive Watson?
10. What was Watson's breakthrough an implication for?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)