|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confirmed Watson's finding that TMV was indeed a helix?
2. When would Watson go to Cal-Tech?
(a) Next year
(b) Right away
(d) Within the next five years
3. How does Watson end his book?
(a) By discussing what the various people involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA are doing at the time of the writing
(b) By taking all of the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA
(c) By sharing the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA with Crick
(d) By reporting the importance of his discovery
4. How much progress did Crick make?
(c) A lot
(d) A little
5. Which two components of DNA did Chargaff find had the same number of molecules?
(a) guanine and thymine
(b) guanine and adenine
(c) cytosine and thymine
(d) adenine and thymine
6. The epilogue can best be described as which of the following?
(a) A celebration of their winning the Nobel Prize
(b) A short chapter reaffirming the importance of their work
(c) An apology for how Rosy was perceived throughout his career
(d) A summary of the book
7. Who told Pauling about the double helix structure?
8. Which word best describes Watson's feelings at the idea of working with bases in pairs?
9. Which of the following did Watson begin working on after being told to stop his work on DNA?
10. How did Maurice answer when asked if he minded Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
(a) He said they should all work together
(b) No, but slowly
(c) No, immediately
(d) Yes, immediately
11. How did Watson feel about Rosy's reaction to the new model?
12. Who did Watson go to tell about Rosy's B photograph?
(a) Bragg and Crick
(b) Crick and Max
(c) Pauling and Crick
(d) Bragg and Max
13. What medical condition did Watson seem to think he had?
(b) Heart condition
14. What shape was Watson trying to prove TMV was?
15. Who did Pauling give copies of his manuscript which contained his new model of DNA?
(a) Peter and Bragg
(b) Watson and Crick
(c) Rosy and Bragg
(d) Rosy and Maurice
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Watson diverge from his study of DNA to study?
2. What did Watson continue to believe the problem was?
3. What does TMV stand for?
4. Which of the following characteristics best describes how Watson viewed the conference in London?
5. What topic was Linus Pauling studying?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)