|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was Senator McCarthy investigating?
2. Which of the following did Watson begin working on after being told to stop his work on DNA?
3. Who checked Watson and Crick's chemistry on the model?
4. Who has developed a structure of DNA in chapter twenty-one?
(d) Linus Pauling
5. What does TMV contain?
(b) Triple helix structure
6. What did Watson and Crick hope in regards to this new structure of DNA?
(a) They hoped to publish it before Pauling
(b) They hoped Pauling was wrong
(c) They hoped to expand on his knowledge
(d) They hoped to develop the model based on his structure
7. Who was taken with Watson's sister?
(b) Sir Lawrence
(d) Bertrand Fourcade
8. Which of the following words best describes how the authors of the chemistry book had chosen the structures of the bases?
(b) Crystallographic photographics
(c) Scientific models
(d) After much indepth research
9. What event diffused the tension and heat between Rosy and Watson?
(a) Watson walking out of the lab
(b) Rosy tearing up Pauling's work
(c) Rosy assaulting Watson
(d) Maurice entering the lab
10. What was the fundamental flaw in Linus Pauling's model of DNA?
(a) The phosphate molecules were not ionized
(b) The phosphate molecules were ionized
(c) He relayed that there were four helixes
(d) He could not identify the number of helixes
11. What does TMV stand for?
(a) Tobacco Mosaic Virus
(b) Tobacco Motive Virus
(c) Tomal Missing Virus
(d) Thrombosis Making Virus
12. Which of the following terms best describes how the English scientists felt about the United States refusing to allow Pauling to travel to London to speak at the conference?
(c) Total agreement
13. How does Watson end his book?
(a) By taking all of the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA
(b) By sharing the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA with Crick
(c) By discussing what the various people involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA are doing at the time of the writing
(d) By reporting the importance of his discovery
14. On what form of DNA did Crick work?
(a) B form
(b) A form
(c) C form
(d) D form
15. What had Watson asked of Delbruck?
(a) To be sure and tell Pauling
(b) To spread the word throughout the scientific community
(c) Not to tell Pauling about the new model
(d) To display the model at Cal-Tech
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Todd say about the sugar-phosphate backbone chemistry in the model?
2. How long did Rosy keep working on scientific discoveries?
3. What was Watson continually thinking about as he went to films in regards to progress on DNA model?
4. Which of the following best describes Maurice and Rosy's working relationship?
5. What does Watson hope to learn more about as he studies TMV?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)