|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Pauling held up when he was on his way to speak at the conference?
(d) Washington, DC
2. How old was Rosy when she died?
3. What had the Cavendish lab recently discovered?
(a) A new kind of X-ray tube
(b) The structure of RNA
(c) A model of DNA and RNA
(d) The structure of DNA
4. How did Rosy feel about the new model?
5. What did Watson and Crick hope in regards to this new structure of DNA?
(a) They hoped to develop the model based on his structure
(b) They hoped Pauling was wrong
(c) They hoped to expand on his knowledge
(d) They hoped to publish it before Pauling
6. Which of the following best describes how Watson felt upon realizing that Pauling's model was flawed?
7. What shape was Watson trying to prove TMV was?
8. What did Watson believe caused the medical condition from which he was suffering?
(a) Spicy food
(b) Too much work
(c) Pressure from his PhD program
(d) Worry over DNA
9. Why was Watson trying to make crystallographic X-rays of TMV?
(a) To show that TMV had DNA
(b) To show that RNA was the same as DNA
(c) To showTMV had helically stacked protein
(d) To show that the work was worthwhile
10. Why did Watson believe that DNA would be a two-chain?
(a) Pauling's model was wrong
(b) Crick had found 2 chains in previous research
(c) Picture showed 2 chains
(d) Things in biology come in pairs
11. Which two components of DNA did Chargaff find had the same number of molecules?
(a) cytosine and thymine
(b) adenine and thymine
(c) guanine and adenine
(d) guanine and thymine
12. What medical condition did Watson seem to think he had?
(a) Heart condition
13. What did Bragg finally allow Watson to do?
(a) Start working on DNA again
(b) Invite Maurice to join Watson on the project
(c) Allow him to work with Pauling to refine his model
(d) Move to a new lab where he will continue his work on RNA
14. What did Watson and Crick do when the bases were finished?
(a) Took an exended break
(b) Studied more books and information
(c) Constructed a model
(d) Told King's lab
15. How did Crick feel about Watson's work on bacteria reproduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has developed a structure of DNA in chapter twenty-one?
2. How long did Rosy keep working on scientific discoveries?
3. Who offered Watson a job at Cal-Tech?
4. Who shared an office with Watson and Crick?
5. Whom did Watson compare Crick to when talking to Delbruck?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)