|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Watson moved?
(a) Fish place
(b) Portugal Place
(c) Cambridge College
(d) Clare College
2. What does TMV contain?
(a) Triple helix structure
3. Which of the following is the best definition of the term untenable?
(b) Able to be possible
(d) Unable to be defended
4. What did Watson and Crick have to wait for?
(a) Rosy to leave King's lab
(b) Maurice to provide them with new information
(c) Base models to be built
(d) Changes to be made to the backbone
5. Which of the following characteristics best describes how Watson viewed the conference in London?
6. How did Watson feel about Rosy's reaction to the new model?
7. What was Maurice going to return to Watson?
(b) Paper on DNA
8. What did Watson continue to believe the problem was?
(a) Acid level
(b) Chain number
9. What did Bragg finally allow Watson to do?
(a) Invite Maurice to join Watson on the project
(b) Allow him to work with Pauling to refine his model
(c) Start working on DNA again
(d) Move to a new lab where he will continue his work on RNA
10. The epilogue can best be described as which of the following?
(a) An apology for how Rosy was perceived throughout his career
(b) A celebration of their winning the Nobel Prize
(c) A summary of the book
(d) A short chapter reaffirming the importance of their work
11. Whose work did Crick believe was a key to understanding DNA?
(a) Watson's work
(b) Pauling's work
(c) Rosy's work
(d) Chargraff's work
12. How did Maurice answer when asked if he minded Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
(a) No, but slowly
(b) He said they should all work together
(c) No, immediately
(d) Yes, immediately
13. Who has developed a structure of DNA in chapter twenty-one?
(d) Linus Pauling
14. Which term did Maurice use to describe the DNA structure?
15. Why was Watson trying to make crystallographic X-rays of TMV?
(a) To show that TMV had DNA
(b) To show that RNA was the same as DNA
(c) To show that the work was worthwhile
(d) To showTMV had helically stacked protein
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Maurice and Rosy's working relationship?
2. How did Watson spend the time while he waited for the machine shop to construct the necessary parts?
3. How did Pauling feel about Watson and Crick's model?
4. What did Watson and Crick hope in regards to this new structure of DNA?
5. What topic was Linus Pauling studying?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)