|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Maurice answer when asked if he minded Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
(a) No, but slowly
(b) Yes, immediately
(c) No, immediately
(d) He said they should all work together
2. Who checked Watson and Crick's chemistry on the model?
3. The epilogue can best be described as which of the following?
(a) A celebration of their winning the Nobel Prize
(b) An apology for how Rosy was perceived throughout his career
(c) A summary of the book
(d) A short chapter reaffirming the importance of their work
4. How did Crick feel about Watson's work on bacteria reproduction?
5. What had Maurice been doing in secret in regards to Rosy?
(a) Copying her notes
(b) Documenting her insubordination
(c) Copying her photographs
(d) Documenting her mistakes and reporting them to supervisors
6. What had the Cavendish lab recently discovered?
(a) A new kind of X-ray tube
(b) The structure of RNA
(c) A model of DNA and RNA
(d) The structure of DNA
7. Who is expected to come speak at a conference at the end of chapter sixteen?
8. How does Watson end his book?
(a) By reporting the importance of his discovery
(b) By sharing the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA with Crick
(c) By taking all of the credit in the discovery of the structure of DNA
(d) By discussing what the various people involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA are doing at the time of the writing
9. Where had Watson gotten the structures for the bases?
(a) From Pauling's research
(b) From Rosy's photographs
(c) Out of a chemistry book
(d) From Watson's own research into bacteria
10. Which of the following was Senator McCarthy investigating?
11. Where did Watson and Crick meet Chargaff?
(a) They never met
(d) United States
12. Which of the following terms best describes the events at the meeting in Paris?
(b) Problem solving
13. How much faster was Watson able to take pictures with the new X-ray tube?
(a) 20 times
(b) 10 times
(c) 30 times
(d) 5 times
14. What happened when King's lab began comparing their experimental results to the double helix structure?
(a) They supported the model
(b) They debated it's accuracy
(c) They refuted the model
(d) They found a major flaw
15. Who did Pauling give copies of his manuscript which contained his new model of DNA?
(a) Peter and Bragg
(b) Rosy and Maurice
(c) Watson and Crick
(d) Rosy and Bragg
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Watson concentrate on this thesis?
2. What did Watson continue to believe the problem was?
3. When Watson constructed models of the bases what was the same about a pair?
4. When would Watson go to Cal-Tech?
5. What medical condition did Watson seem to think he had?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)