|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who checked Watson and Crick's chemistry on the model?
2. What does Watson hope to learn more about as he studies TMV?
3. Why couldn't Watson concentrate on this thesis?
(a) Distracted by Watson's social life
(b) Excitement about the base pairs
(c) Distracted by Rosy's animosty
(d) Excitement at attending a new lecture
4. How did Watson spend the time while he waited for the machine shop to construct the necessary parts?
(a) Non-work-related activities
(b) Making RNA models
(c) Talking with his sister and her beau
(d) Creating bacteria studies
5. How did Watson feel about Rosy's reaction to the new model?
6. What was wrong with Maurice at the meeting in Paris?
(a) He was tired of Watson and Crick
(b) He wanted to be on his way to Brazil
(c) He had eaten bad food
(d) He was tired of talking about DNA
7. What does TMV stand for?
(a) Tobacco Mosaic Virus
(b) Thrombosis Making Virus
(c) Tobacco Motive Virus
(d) Tomal Missing Virus
8. Who confirmed Watson's finding that TMV was indeed a helix?
9. What did Watson and Crick hope in regards to this new structure of DNA?
(a) They hoped to expand on his knowledge
(b) They hoped to develop the model based on his structure
(c) They hoped Pauling was wrong
(d) They hoped to publish it before Pauling
10. Which of the following best describes how Watson felt upon realizing that Pauling's model was flawed?
11. On what form of DNA did Crick work?
(a) D form
(b) A form
(c) B form
(d) C form
12. Which of the following did Watson begin working on after being told to stop his work on DNA?
13. Where had Watson moved?
(a) Portugal Place
(b) Fish place
(c) Cambridge College
(d) Clare College
14. What had Maurice been doing in secret in regards to Rosy?
(a) Documenting her insubordination
(b) Copying her notes
(c) Copying her photographs
(d) Documenting her mistakes and reporting them to supervisors
15. Who shared an office with Watson and Crick?
(b) Linus Pauling
(c) Sir Lawrence
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes how the English scientists felt about the United States refusing to allow Pauling to travel to London to speak at the conference?
2. Whose work did Crick believe was a key to understanding DNA?
3. Where was Watson going to get the necessary pieces to construct his model?
4. Who was taken with Watson's sister?
5. What did Watson and Crick do when the bases were finished?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)