|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who identified the major fundamental flaw in Linus Pauling's model of DNA?
(a) Sir Lawrence
(b) Pauling's father
2. Which of the following did Watson begin working on after being told to stop his work on DNA?
3. What was Crick unable to concentrate on which he was supposed to be working on?
(a) Bacteria reproduction
(b) Backbone of DNA
(c) Photographs of DNA
4. Who confirmed Watson's finding that TMV was indeed a helix?
5. How long did Rosy keep working on scientific discoveries?
(a) She stopped when Watson and Crick were published
(b) Until right before her death
(c) She stopped right after the model was created
(d) She was fired by Maurice and never got another job in the field
6. Which of the following best describes Maurice and Rosy's working relationship?
7. Who has developed a structure of DNA in chapter twenty-one?
(a) Linus Pauling
8. How did Maurice answer when asked if he minded Watson and Crick working on the structure of DNA?
(a) He said they should all work together
(b) No, but slowly
(c) No, immediately
(d) Yes, immediately
9. How did Rosy feel about the new model?
10. What did Watson and Crick do when the bases were finished?
(a) Took an exended break
(b) Constructed a model
(c) Studied more books and information
(d) Told King's lab
11. What shape was Watson trying to prove TMV was?
12. What was the problem with the idea that the bases were pairs?
(a) There were an odd number of bases
(b) The sides weren't identical
(c) Pairing eliminated the idea of 3 chains
(d) The bases weren't all the same sides
13. Which of the following best describes how Watson felt upon realizing that Pauling's model was flawed?
14. What topic was Linus Pauling studying?
(a) How protein coils did not make helixes
(b) Why bacteria were able to reproduce
(c) How protein helixes created coils within coils
(d) How to build a model of DNA
15. Where did Watson's sister get married?
(b) United States
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical condition did Watson seem to think he had?
2. What was Maurice going to return to Watson?
3. Which term did Maurice use to describe the DNA structure?
4. Why did Watson believe that DNA would be a two-chain?
5. Why couldn't Watson concentrate on this thesis?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)