|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To return to work
(b) To speak at a meeting in London
(c) To accept a new job
(d) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
2. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(b) Nothing, he stopped working altogether
(c) Helix structures
(d) His PhD thesis
3. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
(b) Picture of crystallized DNA
(c) Structure of proteins
(d) Crystallized helix poliomyelitis
4. What happened to Watson's fellowship?
5. Which of the following best describes how Watson responded to Pauling's journal articles?
(a) Watson disagreed with Pauling's articles
(b) They were over Watson's head
(c) Watson despised Pauling's articles
(d) Watson was jealous of Pauling
6. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
7. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For making too much noise during the day
(b) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
(c) For not paying the rent
(d) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
8. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(b) It was unimportant
(c) It was already solved
(d) It was the next great breakthrough
9. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
(c) The Times
10. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
(a) To pretend to work with him
(b) To move to Cambridge
(c) To address his need to study crystallography
(d) To help him convince his Fellowship committee to allow him to relocate to Cambridge
11. In what year did the author meet Crick?
12. What is crystallography?
(a) Field responsible for breaking apart crystallized proteins
(b) Field responsible for creating X-rays of crystals
(c) Field responsible for making crystals
(d) Field responsible for crystallizing proteins
13. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
14. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Francis Crick
(b) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(c) James Watson
(d) Max Perutz
15. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
(a) Not enough chains
(b) Too many chains
(c) Water level number was different
(d) Had three helices
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was a new idea about the life of a scientist to Watson at the end of chapter five?
2. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
3. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
4. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
5. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)