|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
(a) There was no heating
(b) Weather was cold
(c) Biochemistry was still uninteresting
(d) He knew no one there
2. While Watson was assembling pieces of the model, Crick was doing what?
(a) Adding wire to the existent models
(b) Making his own models
(c) Reviewing X-ray images
(d) Reading from Pauling's book
3. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
4. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
(a) She totally understood all of his work
(b) She realized he had had an important breakthrough
(c) She saw that he was becoming good friends with Watson
(d) She knew his long hours would soon be over
5. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To define what type of book it is
(b) To outline the main events of the book
(c) To set the purpose and scope
(d) To introduce the characters
6. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(c) Detailed drawings
7. What is crystallography?
(a) Field responsible for crystallizing proteins
(b) Field responsible for breaking apart crystallized proteins
(c) Field responsible for making crystals
(d) Field responsible for creating X-rays of crystals
8. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
(a) Rosy's boss
(b) Maurice's boss
(c) Crick's boss
(d) Bragg's boss
9. Which of the following is Watson's interest?
(a) What is a gene?
(b) How does DNA crystallize?
(c) Where is DNA stored?
(d) What are the crystallized images?
10. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Tin wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Aluminum wire
(d) Copper wire
11. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
(a) The scientific process
(c) Human relations
12. In what year did the author meet Crick?
13. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
14. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(a) Unauthorized autobiography
(d) Unauthorized biography
15. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Pauling as seen through Watson's eyes?
3. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
5. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)