|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following events interrupted Crick's interest in DNA?
(a) Personal health issue
(c) Conflict in the lab
(d) Death in his family
2. Which of the following characters wrote a paper describing his idea for the helix theory?
(b) Sir Lawrence
3. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He stops working
(b) He concentrates on the wrong things
(c) He looks for a woman to keep him company
(d) He drinks
4. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
(a) Bullet proof vests
(b) Magnetic mines
(c) Medical advances
5. Where did the Fellowship Board indicate Watson could transfer?
(a) Biochemistry with Markham
(b) Crystallography lab in Cambridge
(c) Cell physiology lab in Stockholm
(d) Crystallography in Stockhom
6. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence:
His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
(a) An existing connection
(b) A multiple valued function
(d) A person who is related by marriage or blood
7. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
(a) So they would understand his needs and desires
(b) To show his interest in biochemistry
(c) So they would approve his transfer
(d) To convince them to let him work with Markham
8. Which of the following best describes how Watson responded to Pauling's journal articles?
(a) Watson was jealous of Pauling
(b) They were over Watson's head
(c) Watson disagreed with Pauling's articles
(d) Watson despised Pauling's articles
9. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
(a) Sir Lawrence
10. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
(a) Before the phosphorus atoms were completed
(b) As they added details to the models
(c) When they received the new model components
(d) When they understood the final structure
11. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Take notes
(b) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(c) Thank her for her time
(d) Ask more questions of her
12. What is crystallography?
(a) Field responsible for crystallizing proteins
(b) Field responsible for creating X-rays of crystals
(c) Field responsible for making crystals
(d) Field responsible for breaking apart crystallized proteins
13. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(a) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
(c) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
(d) Binding agents
14. Which of the following characters didn't believe that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
15. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(b) It was the next great breakthrough
(c) It was already solved
(d) It was unimportant
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
2. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
3. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
4. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)