|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(b) James Watson
(c) Max Perutz
(d) Francis Crick
2. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
(a) Bullet proof vests
(c) Magnetic mines
(d) Medical advances
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Pauling as seen through Watson's eyes?
(a) Dynamic speaker
(d) Poor writer
4. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
5. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
6. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
7. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Copper wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Tin wire
(d) Aluminum wire
8. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
(a) His fellowship had run out of money
(b) Transfers were not allowed under his fellowship agreement
(c) A new chairman was named
(d) The person he wanted to switch to work with rejected his plan
9. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
10. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
11. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
12. Which of the following characters wrote a paper describing his idea for the helix theory?
(c) Sir Lawrence
13. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He looks for a woman to keep him company
(b) He drinks
(c) He concentrates on the wrong things
(d) He stops working
14. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
15. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a year
(b) About a week
(c) About a day
(d) About a month
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
2. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
3. On what topic had Bragg, Kendrew and Perutz published a paper?
4. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)