|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
2. How much less money was his new fellowship offer for?
(d) No less money
3. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(a) Unauthorized autobiography
(b) Unauthorized biography
4. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(a) United States
5. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
(a) A new chairman was named
(b) His fellowship had run out of money
(c) The person he wanted to switch to work with rejected his plan
(d) Transfers were not allowed under his fellowship agreement
6. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
(a) She knew his long hours would soon be over
(b) She realized he had had an important breakthrough
(c) She saw that he was becoming good friends with Watson
(d) She totally understood all of his work
7. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(a) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
(b) Binding agents
(d) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
8. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
9. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
(c) Human relations
(d) The scientific process
10. Which of the following characters did Crick discuss his problems with the helix theory with?
(c) Sir Lawrence
11. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(a) His PhD thesis
12. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Max Perutz
(b) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(c) James Watson
(d) Francis Crick
13. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
14. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
15. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events interrupted Crick's interest in DNA?
2. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
3. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
4. What is crystallography?
5. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)