|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
(a) Excited about continuing
(b) More productive
(c) The same as they had felt before they came to review the model
2. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(c) United States
3. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To outline the main events of the book
(b) To define what type of book it is
(c) To set the purpose and scope
(d) To introduce the characters
4. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
5. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Francis Crick
(b) Max Perutz
(c) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(d) James Watson
6. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
(a) Worked in the lab on the problem against his directive
(b) Didn't try to change his decision
(c) Begged him to be allowed to continue to work on the problem
(d) Tried to convince him to change his mind
7. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
8. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(b) Thank her for her time
(c) Ask more questions of her
(d) Take notes
9. How much less money was his new fellowship offer for?
(c) No less money
10. Which of the following was a new idea about the life of a scientist to Watson at the end of chapter five?
(a) Social life
(b) Structure of DNA
(c) Intellectual life
(d) Personality conflicts
11. Which of the following words best describes Maurice as a scientist?
12. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(b) It had a model of DNA in it
(c) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(d) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
13. Which of the following people was the solution to Watson being able to study crystallography?
14. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
(a) Biochemistry was still uninteresting
(b) He knew no one there
(c) Weather was cold
(d) There was no heating
15. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence? Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
2. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
3. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
4. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
5. On what topic had Bragg, Kendrew and Perutz published a paper?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)