|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Watson go for Christmas?
2. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(c) United States
3. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(a) Binding agents
(c) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
(d) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
4. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
(b) Medical advances
(c) Bullet proof vests
(d) Magnetic mines
5. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
(a) Before the phosphorus atoms were completed
(b) When they received the new model components
(c) When they understood the final structure
(d) As they added details to the models
6. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
7. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
(b) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
(c) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
(d) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
8. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Take notes
(b) Ask more questions of her
(c) Thank her for her time
(d) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
9. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He stops working
(b) He looks for a woman to keep him company
(c) He concentrates on the wrong things
(d) He drinks
10. While Watson was assembling pieces of the model, Crick was doing what?
(a) Adding wire to the existent models
(b) Making his own models
(c) Reviewing X-ray images
(d) Reading from Pauling's book
11. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
(a) A fresh start
(b) A new model
(c) New X-rays
(d) A new colleague
12. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) Copenhagen University
(b) King's College
(c) Cambridge Lab
(d) Stockholm College
13. Which of the following did Crick lack when it came to the type of research needed for a PhD thesis?
14. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
15. Which of the following characters did Crick discuss his problems with the helix theory with?
(b) Sir Lawrence
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
2. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
3. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
4. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
5. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)