|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
(a) Maurice's boss
(b) Rosy's boss
(c) Crick's boss
(d) Bragg's boss
2. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(d) His PhD thesis
3. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
4. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
5. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
(b) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
(c) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
(d) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
6. Which of the following is the best definition of the term abated?
(a) Fell off
7. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
(b) Bacteria which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(c) Germs which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(d) Viruses which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
8. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Ask more questions of her
(b) Take notes
(c) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(d) Thank her for her time
9. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Max Perutz
(b) Francis Crick
(c) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(d) James Watson
10. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
11. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
12. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
(b) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
(c) For not paying the rent
(d) For making too much noise during the day
13. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
14. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(a) His PhD thesis
(b) Nothing, he stopped working altogether
(d) Helix structures
15. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
2. What fantasy did Watson have for how he would become involved in his work?
3. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Pauling as seen through Watson's eyes?
5. In what year did the author meet Crick?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)