Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(b) It was unimportant
(c) It was the next great breakthrough
(d) It was already solved
2. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
(b) The Times
3. In what year did the author meet Crick?
4. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
(a) To show his interest in biochemistry
(b) So they would approve his transfer
(c) So they would understand his needs and desires
(d) To convince them to let him work with Markham
5. What did Crick help to make when he worked for the government at the beginning of World War II?
(a) Bullet proof vests
(b) Medical advances
(d) Magnetic mines
6. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(b) Detailed drawings
7. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
(a) A fresh start
(b) A new model
(c) A new colleague
(d) New X-rays
8. Which of the following did Crick lack when it came to the type of research needed for a PhD thesis?
9. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
(a) Maurice Wilkins
(b) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(c) Roy Markahm
(d) Linus Pauling
10. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To accept a new job
(b) To speak at a meeting in London
(c) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(d) To return to work
11. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
(a) Too many chains
(b) Water level number was different
(c) Had three helices
(d) Not enough chains
12. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
13. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
14. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
15. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
2. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
3. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
5. Which of the following types of work was Watson enthusiastic about beginning?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)