|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
(a) To help him convince his Fellowship committee to allow him to relocate to Cambridge
(b) To move to Cambridge
(c) To pretend to work with him
(d) To address his need to study crystallography
2. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(b) James Watson
(c) Max Perutz
(d) Francis Crick
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence?
Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
4. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(b) Detailed drawings
5. Which of the following is Watson's interest?
(a) What is a gene?
(b) Where is DNA stored?
(c) What are the crystallized images?
(d) How does DNA crystallize?
6. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
7. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(a) Unauthorized autobiography
(d) Unauthorized biography
8. Which of the following characters did Crick discuss his problems with the helix theory with?
(b) Sir Lawrence
9. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
(a) Germs which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(c) Viruses which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(d) Bacteria which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
10. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
(b) Sir Lawrence
11. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
12. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(d) His PhD thesis
13. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
(a) Structure of proteins
(b) Picture of crystallized DNA
(c) Crystallized helix poliomyelitis
14. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
15. In what year did the author meet Crick?
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
2. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
3. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
4. What is crystallography?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)