|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
(a) Rosy's boss
(b) Crick's boss
(c) Maurice's boss
(d) Bragg's boss
2. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
(b) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
(c) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
(d) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
3. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence?
Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
5. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
(a) Biochemistry was still uninteresting
(b) Weather was cold
(c) He knew no one there
(d) There was no heating
6. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
7. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
(a) When they received the new model components
(b) Before the phosphorus atoms were completed
(c) When they understood the final structure
(d) As they added details to the models
8. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
(a) Proton Order and diffraction
(c) X-rays of crystallized DNA molecules
(d) Diffraction of X-rays by helical molecules
9. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
(b) For making too much noise during the day
(c) For not paying the rent
(d) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
10. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
11. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
12. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a model of DNA in it
(b) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(c) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(d) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
13. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To introduce the characters
(b) To set the purpose and scope
(c) To define what type of book it is
(d) To outline the main events of the book
14. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(b) To return to work
(c) To accept a new job
(d) To speak at a meeting in London
15. Which of the following words best describes Maurice as a scientist?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
2. What is crystallography?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
4. In what year did the author meet Crick?
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)