|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
2. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To introduce the characters
(b) To define what type of book it is
(c) To set the purpose and scope
(d) To outline the main events of the book
3. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
4. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
(a) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(b) Linus Pauling
(c) Roy Markahm
(d) Maurice Wilkins
5. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
6. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To return to work
(b) To speak at a meeting in London
(c) To accept a new job
(d) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
7. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence:
His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
(a) A multiple valued function
(b) An existing connection
(d) A person who is related by marriage or blood
8. In what language were many of the lectures given that Watson attended?
9. In what year did the author meet Crick?
10. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
11. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) Stockholm College
(b) Cambridge Lab
(c) Copenhagen University
(d) King's College
12. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
(a) Germs which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(c) Viruses which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(d) Bacteria which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
13. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence:
Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
(b) Dark cloud
(d) Go sour
14. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence?
Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
15. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
(b) For not paying the rent
(c) For making too much noise during the day
(d) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
2. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
3. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
4. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
5. How did Maurice feel after hearing Rosy's presentation?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)