|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(b) It was unimportant
(c) It was already solved
(d) It was the next great breakthrough
2. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(b) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(c) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(d) It had a model of DNA in it
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence:
Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
(b) Dark cloud
(d) Go sour
4. Which of the following best describes how Watson responded to Pauling's journal articles?
(a) They were over Watson's head
(b) Watson despised Pauling's articles
(c) Watson was jealous of Pauling
(d) Watson disagreed with Pauling's articles
5. When would Watson and Crick be able to understand the configuration of inorganic ions?
(a) As they added details to the models
(b) When they understood the final structure
(c) When they received the new model components
(d) Before the phosphorus atoms were completed
6. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
7. Which of the following does NOT describe Pauling as seen through Watson's eyes?
(a) Poor writer
(b) Dynamic speaker
8. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
9. In what language were many of the lectures given that Watson attended?
10. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
(b) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
(c) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
(d) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
11. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
12. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(b) Unauthorized autobiography
(d) Unauthorized biography
13. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
(c) Sir Lawrence
14. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
15. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Ask more questions of her
(b) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(c) Take notes
(d) Thank her for her time
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
2. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
3. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
4. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
5. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)