|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
(a) Excited about continuing
(c) The same as they had felt before they came to review the model
(d) More productive
2. On what topic had Bragg, Kendrew and Perutz published a paper?
(a) Insulin dependent molecules
(b) Polypeptide chains
(c) Crystallographic chains
(d) Helical molecules
3. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
(a) To pretend to work with him
(b) To help him convince his Fellowship committee to allow him to relocate to Cambridge
(c) To move to Cambridge
(d) To address his need to study crystallography
4. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Ask more questions of her
(b) Thank her for her time
(c) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(d) Take notes
5. Which of the following characters wrote a paper describing his idea for the helix theory?
(b) Sir Lawrence
6. Why couldn't Sir Lawrence remove Crick from the lab?
(a) Crick had more friends in the lab than Sir Lawrence
(b) Crick was pursuing his PhD at Cambridge and couldn't be fired
(c) Sir Lawrence did not have the authority to remove Crick
(d) Crick had proof that Sir Lawrence stole from him
7. Where did Watson go for Christmas?
8. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
(a) A new colleague
(b) A fresh start
(c) A new model
(d) New X-rays
9. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
10. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Copper wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Aluminum wire
(d) Tin wire
11. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
(a) Tried to convince him to change his mind
(b) Begged him to be allowed to continue to work on the problem
(c) Didn't try to change his decision
(d) Worked in the lab on the problem against his directive
12. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
13. How does DNA carry information?
(a) Binding of the nucleotides
(b) Multiple types of nucleotides
(c) Structure of DNA
(d) Order of the nucleotides
14. What is crystallography?
(a) Field responsible for making crystals
(b) Field responsible for breaking apart crystallized proteins
(c) Field responsible for creating X-rays of crystals
(d) Field responsible for crystallizing proteins
15. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Francis Crick
(b) James Watson
(c) Max Perutz
(d) Sir Lawrence Bragg
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
2. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
3. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
4. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
5. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)