|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
2. Which of the following people was the solution to Watson being able to study crystallography?
3. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
4. Which of the following was a new idea about the life of a scientist to Watson at the end of chapter five?
(a) Social life
(b) Personality conflicts
(c) Structure of DNA
(d) Intellectual life
5. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
6. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
7. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Thank her for her time
(b) Ask more questions of her
(c) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
(d) Take notes
8. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To speak at a meeting in London
(b) To accept a new job
(c) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(d) To return to work
9. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
(a) Biological proof that DNA existed
(b) Crystallized DNA
(c) Crystals taken from a mine
(d) Bone degradation
10. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
11. What fantasy did Watson have for how he would become involved in his work?
(a) Wilkins would become his sister's suitor
(b) Watson would develop a new biochemistry technique
(c) Watson would transfer his postgraduate fellowship to Wilkins
(d) Watson would show Wilkins his crystallized images
12. Which of the following is the best definition of the term abated?
(a) Fell off
13. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(b) Binding agents
(c) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
(d) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
14. On what topic was Rosy's talk?
(a) X-ray diffraction of crystallographic molecules
(b) X-ray diffraction by helical molecules
(c) Crystallographic research into DNA
(d) X-ray crystallographic research into helical molecules
15. Which of the following is the best definition of the term helix?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Crick and Watson have in common?
2. Which of the following words best describes Maurice as a scientist?
3. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
4. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
5. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)