|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
(a) Tin wire
(b) Steel wire
(c) Copper wire
(d) Aluminum wire
2. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
(a) Sir Lawrence
3. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(a) Unauthorized autobiography
(b) Unauthorized biography
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence:
Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
(a) Dark cloud
(c) Go sour
5. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
(b) More productive
(c) The same as they had felt before they came to review the model
(d) Excited about continuing
6. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To accept a new job
(b) To speak at a meeting in London
(c) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(d) To return to work
7. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(c) United States
8. How did Maurice feel after hearing Rosy's presentation?
9. How much less money was his new fellowship offer for?
(b) No less money
10. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(d) His PhD thesis
11. Where did the Fellowship Board indicate Watson could transfer?
(a) Cell physiology lab in Stockholm
(b) Crystallography lab in Cambridge
(c) Crystallography in Stockhom
(d) Biochemistry with Markham
12. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(b) Detailed drawings
13. Which of the following people was the solution to Watson being able to study crystallography?
14. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
15. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
(a) Weather was cold
(b) Biochemistry was still uninteresting
(c) There was no heating
(d) He knew no one there
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
2. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
3. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
4. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
5. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)