|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is crystallography?
(a) Field responsible for breaking apart crystallized proteins
(b) Field responsible for crystallizing proteins
(c) Field responsible for creating X-rays of crystals
(d) Field responsible for making crystals
2. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
3. Which of the following best describes how Watson responded to Pauling's journal articles?
(a) Watson disagreed with Pauling's articles
(b) Watson despised Pauling's articles
(c) Watson was jealous of Pauling
(d) They were over Watson's head
4. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
(a) Had three helices
(b) Too many chains
(c) Water level number was different
(d) Not enough chains
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence:
Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
(a) Dark cloud
(d) Go sour
6. How did Maurice feel after hearing Rosy's presentation?
7. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a month
(b) About a year
(c) About a week
(d) About a day
8. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) Stockholm College
(b) Cambridge Lab
(c) Copenhagen University
(d) King's College
9. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
10. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To define what type of book it is
(b) To set the purpose and scope
(c) To outline the main events of the book
(d) To introduce the characters
11. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(b) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(c) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(d) It had a model of DNA in it
12. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(a) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
(c) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
(d) Binding agents
13. Which of the following types of work was Watson enthusiastic about beginning?
(a) Work with crystallography
(b) Work with the different possible molecular models of DNA
(c) Work with Crick on X-ray photographs
(d) Work with X-rays of helices
14. In what year did the author meet Crick?
15. What arrangement was did Watson work out with Markham?
(a) To address his need to study crystallography
(b) To move to Cambridge
(c) To help him convince his Fellowship committee to allow him to relocate to Cambridge
(d) To pretend to work with him
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
2. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
3. Who first excited Watson about using x-rays to study DNA?
4. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
5. Why couldn't Sir Lawrence remove Crick from the lab?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)