|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
2. Which of the following is the best definition of the term abated?
(b) Fell off
3. What was Watson's main scientific interest?
(c) Human relations
(d) The scientific process
4. In what year did the author meet Crick?
5. How many people does the preface indicate were involved in the discovery of the structure of DNA?
6. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
7. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
8. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
(a) He knew no one there
(b) Biochemistry was still uninteresting
(c) There was no heating
(d) Weather was cold
9. What did Crick and Watson have in common?
(a) Same amount of siblings
(b) Knowledge of crystallography
(c) Enthusiasm for DNA
(d) Protein structure knowledge
10. Where did the Fellowship Board indicate Watson could transfer?
(a) Biochemistry with Markham
(b) Crystallography lab in Cambridge
(c) Crystallography in Stockhom
(d) Cell physiology lab in Stockholm
11. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To set the purpose and scope
(b) To outline the main events of the book
(c) To introduce the characters
(d) To define what type of book it is
12. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(b) Detailed drawings
13. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
(a) More productive
(b) Excited about continuing
(d) The same as they had felt before they came to review the model
14. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
(a) Bacteria which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(b) Viruses which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
(d) Germs which some scientists suspected were naked genetic material
15. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best term for chains of nucleotides?
2. On what topic was Rosy's talk?
3. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
4. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
5. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)