|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Crick and Watson have in common?
(a) Protein structure knowledge
(b) Same amount of siblings
(c) Enthusiasm for DNA
(d) Knowledge of crystallography
2. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(b) To return to work
(c) To speak at a meeting in London
(d) To accept a new job
3. Which of the following characters did Crick discuss his problems with the helix theory with?
(b) Sir Lawrence
4. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
5. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
(a) Diffraction of X-rays by helical molecules
(b) Proton Order and diffraction
(d) X-rays of crystallized DNA molecules
6. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) King's College
(b) Copenhagen University
(c) Cambridge Lab
(d) Stockholm College
7. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He drinks
(b) He stops working
(c) He looks for a woman to keep him company
(d) He concentrates on the wrong things
8. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
(a) Rosy's boss
(b) Maurice's boss
(c) Bragg's boss
(d) Crick's boss
9. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For making too much noise during the day
(b) For not paying the rent
(c) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
(d) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
10. How did Watson think that most of the scientific community felt about DNA?
(a) It was already solved
(b) It was the next great breakthrough
(c) It was an ongoing project for most of them
(d) It was unimportant
11. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
12. Why couldn't Sir Lawrence remove Crick from the lab?
(a) Crick was pursuing his PhD at Cambridge and couldn't be fired
(b) Crick had proof that Sir Lawrence stole from him
(c) Sir Lawrence did not have the authority to remove Crick
(d) Crick had more friends in the lab than Sir Lawrence
13. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
(a) A new model
(b) A fresh start
(c) New X-rays
(d) A new colleague
14. Which of the following is the best definition of the term abated?
(d) Fell off
15. Which of the following words best describes Maurice as a scientist?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how Watson and Crick felt after Rosy and Maurice left?
2. In what language were many of the lectures given that Watson attended?
3. Which of the following did Watson and Crick add to the models which already existed within the Cambridge lab?
4. Which of the following was NOT a reason that Watson was disheartened with Naples?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence: His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)