|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Watson and Crick purchase a copy of Pauling's book on chemical bonding?
(a) It had information in it about Pauling's assistant Rosy
(b) It had a foreward written by Dorothy Hodgkin, a leading researcher into crystallography
(c) It contained information they needed to build a model of DNA
(d) It had a model of DNA in it
2. What subject did Crick study as an undergraduate?
3. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To return to work
(b) To accept a new job
(c) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(d) To speak at a meeting in London
4. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) Stockholm College
(b) King's College
(c) Copenhagen University
(d) Cambridge Lab
5. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
(a) Sir Lawrence Bragg
(b) Linus Pauling
(c) Maurice Wilkins
(d) Roy Markahm
6. What began to interest Crick after his argument with Sir Lawrence?
(a) Proton Order and diffraction
(c) X-rays of crystallized DNA molecules
(d) Diffraction of X-rays by helical molecules
7. Why was Watson kicked out of his rooming house?
(a) For making too much noise during the day
(b) For inviting friends to come and stay with him
(c) For not paying the rent
(d) For making noise at night and going out after 10:00 pm
8. How did Maurice feel after hearing Rosy's presentation?
9. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(a) His PhD thesis
(b) Helix structures
(c) Nothing, he stopped working altogether
10. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
(a) Biological proof that DNA existed
(b) Crystals taken from a mine
(c) Crystallized DNA
(d) Bone degradation
11. Where did the fellowship board want him to speak?
(a) United States
12. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
13. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
(a) Transfers were not allowed under his fellowship agreement
(b) A new chairman was named
(c) His fellowship had run out of money
(d) The person he wanted to switch to work with rejected his plan
14. What had Watson neglected to do at Rosy's lecture?
(a) Take notes
(b) Ask more questions of her
(c) Thank her for her time
(d) Gather her samples for them to review themselves
15. Which of the following terms describes how Watson felt about working at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge?
(a) Love it
(b) Disliked it
(c) Hated it
(d) Liked it
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
2. Which of the following terms best describes the human dilemma of deciding to work against your colleague or behind their back?
3. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for relations as used in the following sentence: His biggest problem, though, was relations with Rosy, and he had to consider firing her.
5. Which of the following is the best definition of phages?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)