|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
2. Which of the following people wrote the forward?
(a) Max Perutz
(b) James Watson
(c) Francis Crick
(d) Sir Lawrence Bragg
3. What happens when Watson is uninterested and unexcited?
(a) He concentrates on the wrong things
(b) He stops working
(c) He looks for a woman to keep him company
(d) He drinks
4. Which of the following did Odile NOT prefer?
(b) The Times
5. How did Cochran and Crick explain X-ray diffraction by helical molecules?
(c) Detailed drawings
6. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
7. Where did the Fellowship Board indicate Watson could transfer?
(a) Crystallography lab in Cambridge
(b) Cell physiology lab in Stockholm
(c) Crystallography in Stockhom
(d) Biochemistry with Markham
8. Which of the following does NOT describe Pauling as seen through Watson's eyes?
(b) Poor writer
(c) Dynamic speaker
9. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
10. How many types of nucleotides are in DNA?
11. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
(a) She totally understood all of his work
(b) She saw that he was becoming good friends with Watson
(c) She knew his long hours would soon be over
(d) She realized he had had an important breakthrough
12. On what topic was Rosy's talk?
(a) X-ray diffraction by helical molecules
(b) X-ray crystallographic research into helical molecules
(c) X-ray diffraction of crystallographic molecules
(d) Crystallographic research into DNA
13. Where did Watson go for Christmas?
14. What did Crick and Watson have in common?
(a) Knowledge of crystallography
(b) Protein structure knowledge
(c) Enthusiasm for DNA
(d) Same amount of siblings
15. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
(a) Rosy's boss
(b) Bragg's boss
(c) Maurice's boss
(d) Crick's boss
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
2. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
3. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
4. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
5. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)