|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else did Watson invite to his friend's parents for Christmas?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for pall as used in the following sentence:
Rosy's attitude left a pall on the evening.
(c) Dark cloud
(d) Go sour
3. Where did Watson go for Christmas?
4. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a day
(b) About a year
(c) About a week
(d) About a month
5. Which of the following did Crick lack when it came to the type of research needed for a PhD thesis?
6. What is the purpose of the preface in this text?
(a) To outline the main events of the book
(b) To introduce the characters
(c) To define what type of book it is
(d) To set the purpose and scope
7. Where were Maurice and Rosy from?
(a) Stockholm College
(b) Cambridge Lab
(c) King's College
(d) Copenhagen University
8. Which of the following subjects was Herman uninterested in?
9. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
(b) Unauthorized autobiography
(d) Unauthorized biography
10. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
11. Why did Watson have to leave the estate he was staying at over Christmas?
(a) To meet Crick to work on their project related to the structure of DNA
(b) To speak at a meeting in London
(c) To accept a new job
(d) To return to work
12. What specifically was wrong with Watson and Crick's model so that it disagreed with Rosy's research?
(a) Not enough chains
(b) Too many chains
(c) Water level number was different
(d) Had three helices
13. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence?
Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
14. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
(a) Biological proof that DNA existed
(b) Bone degradation
(c) Crystallized DNA
(d) Crystals taken from a mine
15. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Sir Lawrence remove Crick from the lab?
2. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
3. Who convinced Bragg that Watson and Crick should not be working on the problem of the structure of DNA?
4. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
5. Which of the following characters wrote a paper describing his idea for the helix theory?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)