|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following had Pauling partially solved?
(a) Picture of crystallized DNA
(c) Structure of proteins
(d) Crystallized helix poliomyelitis
2. Which of the following had happened which affected Watson's ability to relocate during his fellowship?
(a) The person he wanted to switch to work with rejected his plan
(b) A new chairman was named
(c) His fellowship had run out of money
(d) Transfers were not allowed under his fellowship agreement
3. About how long did Crick think it would take he and Watson to narrow down the number of possible DNA structures?
(a) About a month
(b) About a week
(c) About a year
(d) About a day
4. What did Watson study after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(a) His PhD thesis
5. Which of the following terms best describes how Watson felt about chemistry BEFORE meeting Wilkins?
6. What could be used to rule out some false starts of potential DNA structures?
(a) 3-dimensional figures of DNA
(b) X-ray pictures of DNA crystals
(d) Binding agents
7. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
8. Which of the following is the best synonym for assuaged as it is used in the following sentence?
Watson's conscious was somewhat assuaged, when Herman revealed that he was going through a divorce.
9. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
10. By the end of chapter twelve, how many chains had Watson and Crick determined would fit with the X-ray images?
11. Which of the following terms describes how Watson felt about working at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge?
(a) Disliked it
(b) Liked it
(c) Love it
(d) Hated it
12. On what topic had Bragg, Kendrew and Perutz published a paper?
(a) Crystallographic chains
(b) Helical molecules
(c) Polypeptide chains
(d) Insulin dependent molecules
13. Which of the following characters attended Rosy's talk?
(b) Sir Lawrence
14. With whom did Watson want to work in Cambridge?
(a) Roy Markahm
(b) Linus Pauling
(c) Maurice Wilkins
(d) Sir Lawrence Bragg
15. Which of the following characters was on the edge of being fired?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes this type of novel?
2. Which of the following did Crick lack when it came to the type of research needed for a PhD thesis?
3. How much less money was his new fellowship offer for?
4. Where did the Fellowship Board indicate Watson could transfer?
5. Why do you think Watson told the fellowship committee that his only real interest was crystallography?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)