|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Watson and Crick respond to Bragg when he told them to stop working on the structure of DNA?
(a) Worked in the lab on the problem against his directive
(b) Tried to convince him to change his mind
(c) Begged him to be allowed to continue to work on the problem
(d) Didn't try to change his decision
2. Which of the following terms best describes how the meeting went with Rosy, Maurice, Watson and Crick?
3. Which of the following was a new idea about the life of a scientist to Watson at the end of chapter five?
(a) Structure of DNA
(b) Personality conflicts
(c) Intellectual life
(d) Social life
4. How did Pauling discover his ?-helix structure?
(a) By taking atoms and gluing them together with photons
(b) By fitting together models of groups of atoms that liked to link together
(c) By fitting X-rays together into specific groups
(d) By taking X-rays and placing them on top of each other
5. Which of the following is the best definition of the term abated?
(a) Fell off
6. Which of the following words best describes Maurice as a scientist?
7. Which of the following terms best describes how Rosy felt about Watson and Crick's ideas?
8. How did Maurice feel after hearing Rosy's presentation?
9. Whose ideas did Rosy's research ignore?
10. Which of the following describes why Francis's wife was happy for him?
(a) She realized he had had an important breakthrough
(b) She saw that he was becoming good friends with Watson
(c) She totally understood all of his work
(d) She knew his long hours would soon be over
11. Which of the following characters was already working on the problem of DNA in London with Crick?
12. Which of the following terms describes how Watson felt about working at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge?
(a) Love it
(b) Liked it
(c) Disliked it
(d) Hated it
13. Which of the following characters didn't believe that helices were the answer to the structure of DNA?
14. Where did Watson and Francis go for the weekend after Rosy's lecture?
15. What did Crick move on to work on after told to stop working on the model of DNA?
(a) Nothing, he stopped working altogether
(b) His PhD thesis
(d) Helix structures
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Watson and Crick decide they would need in order to move forward?
2. Which of the following describes how Bragg felt about Crick's behavior and attitude?
3. At what university were both Crick and the author working in the opening chapter?
4. What did Wilkin's x-rays show?
5. Which of the following subjects did Watson avoid during his graduate work?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)