|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what animal does Carlyle compare himself?
2. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
3. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
4. What chemical change does the author mention at the end of Appendix 6?
5. According to the author, which cultures have the best art depicting nature scenes up close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley uses zoology as a metaphor for the unexplored regions of the human mind. What is a metaphor? What is Huxley trying to convey by using this metaphor? Is the metaphor effective and appropriate? If not, is there a more appropriate one which he could have used, and why would it have been better? Did this metaphor aid your understanding of Huxley's point?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley expresses some of his beliefs regarding the relationship between visionary experiences and the afterlife. What is the relationship between the two? What can people do while they are still alive to change the experience they will have in the afterlife? According to Huxley, do they have any control over their experiences once they are dead?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley is very interested in the mental state of schizophrenics and other neurotics. Why is this study so important to Huxley? What does he say about the state in which schizophrenics and other psychotics live their lives, and why does he feel that way? What can be done to help them? What can be done to simulate these disorders in a normal person, and why might that be done?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)