|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the subject of the poem the author quotes in Appendix 5?
2. What is the title of the biography written about Carlyle?
3. What is the title of the work by Carlyle that the author quotes in Appendix 8?
4. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
5. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley is very interested in the mental state of schizophrenics and other neurotics. Why is this study so important to Huxley? What does he say about the state in which schizophrenics and other psychotics live their lives, and why does he feel that way? What can be done to help them? What can be done to simulate these disorders in a normal person, and why might that be done?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley was willing, and in fact eager, to try mescalin for research purposes. Why was he so willing to try it? Were there any known risks? If so, what were they? How did Huxley feel about those risks? What expectations did Huxley have for the experience? Were those expectations met?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)