|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 7 about how Gericault's paintings looked in the artist's mind?
2. Why does the author feel that La Tour's art is religious?
3. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
4. The first painter mentioned in Appendix IV was the appointed artist to the king of what nation?
5. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
2. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
3. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
4. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
5. How does the author introduce Georges de La Tour in Appendix 4?
6. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
7. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
8. How can a state similar to schizophrenia be deliberately induced?
9. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
10. What is the significance of the Wordsworth quote in Appendix 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different groups have very different attitudes toward vision-inducing methods, according to Huxley. Which groups does Huxley mention? What are their attitudes toward various vision-inducing methods? Does Huxley agree with any of these groups? If so, which one?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley describes the vision-inducing powers of different visual arts. What are the arts which he mentions? How does each of these arts help to induce visionary experiences in the viewers? What relationship to these arts have to one another, and what technological developments took place for the advancement of these arts?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)