|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
2. According to Carlyle's biographer, what was his predominant mental illness?
3. Who is mentioned in Appendix 5 as the artist who painted "Dell in Helmingham Park"?
4. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
5. According to Carlyle, why didn't he suffer from any definite fear?
Essay Topic 1
According to Huxley, mescalin altered his perceptions in a variety of ways. What were some of the ways in which his perception of reality was altered? How did he feel about these changes? What is Huxley's theory regarding how mescalin works on the human brain? Is this theory accurate? What lasting effects resulted from Huxley's use of mescalin?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley devotes one appendix to discussing the art of Georges de La Tour. How was Huxley affected by La Tour's art? What was unique about it? What does La Tour's art have to do with visionary experiences? Do you think other people who saw La Tour's art viewed it in the same way Huxley did?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley differentiates between religiousness and religiosity in an artist's work. What is the difference, according to Huxley, between these two terms? How can one be present without the other? How does each of these qualities change an artist's work?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)