|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
2. What poet does the author quote in Appendix 5?
3. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
4. Who is mentioned in Appendix 5 as the artist who painted "Dell in Helmingham Park"?
5. From what secondary mental illness did Carlyle suffer, according to his biographer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley differentiates between religiousness and religiosity in an artist's work. What is the difference, according to Huxley, between these two terms? How can one be present without the other? How does each of these qualities change an artist's work?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley refers to the concept of "Ding an Sich," or "thing in itself," to express the concept of something which is simply "there." How does this concept relate to the work of various artists discussed by Huxley in the text? How does it relate to the visionary experiences Huxley has had?
Essay Topic 3
According to Huxley, mescalin altered his perceptions in a variety of ways. What were some of the ways in which his perception of reality was altered? How did he feel about these changes? What is Huxley's theory regarding how mescalin works on the human brain? Is this theory accurate? What lasting effects resulted from Huxley's use of mescalin?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)