|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the subject of the poem the author quotes in Appendix 5?
2. What does the author note about the background of Gericault's "The Derby"?
3. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
4. The author compares schizophrenics to which of Sheol's beings?
5. To what sort of life are schizophrenics condemned, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
3. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
4. How can a state similar to schizophrenia be deliberately induced?
5. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
6. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
7. What is the difference, according to the author, between the two paintings he compares at the end of Appendix 5?
8. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
9. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
10. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley devotes an appendix to discussing the works of Gericault. Why are Gericault's works so important to Huxley? What does he experience when viewing Gericault's works? In what way do Gericault's paintings relate to the theme of visionary experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley differentiates between religiousness and religiosity in an artist's work. What is the difference, according to Huxley, between these two terms? How can one be present without the other? How does each of these qualities change an artist's work?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)