|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
2. According to the author, what is the setting of Gericault's painting "The Derby"?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. The "new Art of Versailles" was deliberately cultivated, according to the author, during the reign of which king?
5. Why does the author feel that La Tour's art is religious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Western and Eastern art, as stated in Appendix 5?
2. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
3. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
4. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
5. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
6. What is the difference, according to the author, between the two paintings he compares at the end of Appendix 5?
7. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
8. Who is James Halliday?
9. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
10. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley differentiates between a Victorian painting of a thrush and a Japanese one. How do the different artistic styles of these paintings affect the overall tone of the paintings? In what way does each of these paintings affect audiences? Which of these paintings does Huxley prefer?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley describes the vision-inducing powers of different visual arts. What are the arts which he mentions? How does each of these arts help to induce visionary experiences in the viewers? What relationship to these arts have to one another, and what technological developments took place for the advancement of these arts?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley devotes one appendix to discussing the art of Georges de La Tour. How was Huxley affected by La Tour's art? What was unique about it? What does La Tour's art have to do with visionary experiences? Do you think other people who saw La Tour's art viewed it in the same way Huxley did?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)