|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first Gericault painting mentioned by the author in Appendix 7?
2. What was the subject of the poem the author quotes in Appendix 5?
3. To whom does the author attribute the concept of Hades, mentioned in Appendix 6?
4. What did Gericault do to his subjects, according to the author?
5. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
2. What does the author say about Vuillard at the beginning of Appendix 5?
3. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
4. How does the author introduce Georges de La Tour in Appendix 4?
5. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
6. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
7. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
8. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
9. According to the author, what is unique about "Raft of the Medusa," artistically speaking?
10. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley is very interested in the mental state of schizophrenics and other neurotics. Why is this study so important to Huxley? What does he say about the state in which schizophrenics and other psychotics live their lives, and why does he feel that way? What can be done to help them? What can be done to simulate these disorders in a normal person, and why might that be done?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley devotes an appendix to discussing the works of Gericault. Why are Gericault's works so important to Huxley? What does he experience when viewing Gericault's works? In what way do Gericault's paintings relate to the theme of visionary experiences?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)