|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference, according to the author, between the Japanese butcher bird painting and Hardy's thrush?
2. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
3. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
4. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
5. How does the author describe La Tour as a person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference, according to the author, between the two paintings he compares at the end of Appendix 5?
2. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
3. What is the "negative significance" which, according to the author, Carlyle and others like him saw in the world?
4. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
5. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
6. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
7. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
8. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
9. What does the author mean when he states that La Tour was religious?
10. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley mentions the diminished role of psychics and visionaries in modern Western society. Why is this the case? Why are they still more prevalent in other societies? What changes occurred which brought about this situation? Do you agree with Huxley's opinion on psychics and visionaries?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley describes various vision-inducing methods in the book. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method, and why? Which one does Huxley prefer? What groups of people commonly used each method? Is each method still commonly used? Are they all equally effective? If not, which ones are more effective?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)