|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call humans, at the end of Appendix 8?
2. How is the subject of a great work of nature art portrayed, according to the author?
3. Which of Van Gogh's paintings does the author use as an example of Western landscape art?
4. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
5. To what does Carlyle compare the universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
2. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
3. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
4. Who is James Halliday?
5. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
6. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
7. According to the author, what is unique about "Raft of the Medusa," artistically speaking?
8. What is the significance of the Wordsworth quote in Appendix 5?
9. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
10. How does the author introduce Georges de La Tour in Appendix 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different groups have very different attitudes toward vision-inducing methods, according to Huxley. Which groups does Huxley mention? What are their attitudes toward various vision-inducing methods? Does Huxley agree with any of these groups? If so, which one?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)