|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author compares Carlyle to what other artist?
2. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
3. What does the author specifically state in Appendix 6 does NOT open the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo?
4. Which of Van Gogh's paintings does the author use as an example of Western landscape art?
5. What did Gericault do to his subjects, according to the author?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley discusses the power of not only positive visionary experiences but also negative ones. What are some of the major differences between the two? What types of people are inclined to have positive or negative experiences? What happens to people when they have these sorts of experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley is very interested in the mental state of schizophrenics and other neurotics. Why is this study so important to Huxley? What does he say about the state in which schizophrenics and other psychotics live their lives, and why does he feel that way? What can be done to help them? What can be done to simulate these disorders in a normal person, and why might that be done?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)