|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
2. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
3. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
4. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
5. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
2. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
3. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
4. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
5. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
6. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
7. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
8. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
9. How does Carlyle feel about other people?
10. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley discusses the role of vision-inducing methods in religion and spirituality. Why are vision-inducing methods often used in religion? What is the importance of visions in religion? What were the methods most commonly used by religious and spiritual zealots?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley differentiates between a Victorian painting of a thrush and a Japanese one. How do the different artistic styles of these paintings affect the overall tone of the paintings? In what way does each of these paintings affect audiences? Which of these paintings does Huxley prefer?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)