Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley refers to the concept of "Ding an Sich," or "thing in itself," to express the concept of something which is simply "there." How does this concept relate to the work of various artists discussed by Huxley in the text? How does it relate to the visionary experiences Huxley has had?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
Essay Topic 3
Peyote and its active ingredient mescalin have been used for centuries by Native Americans and other groups for their vision-inducing powers. What was known about mescalin when Huxley began his experiment? What was the purpose of the experiment? What was discovered during the course of the experiment? Were there any unexpected effects of the drug? If so, what were they?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)