Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley differentiates between a Victorian painting of a thrush and a Japanese one. How do the different artistic styles of these paintings affect the overall tone of the paintings? In what way does each of these paintings affect audiences? Which of these paintings does Huxley prefer?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley was willing, and in fact eager, to try mescalin for research purposes. Why was he so willing to try it? Were there any known risks? If so, what were they? How did Huxley feel about those risks? What expectations did Huxley have for the experience? Were those expectations met?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley expresses some of his beliefs regarding the relationship between visionary experiences and the afterlife. What is the relationship between the two? What can people do while they are still alive to change the experience they will have in the afterlife? According to Huxley, do they have any control over their experiences once they are dead?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)