Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Essay Topic 1
According to Huxley, mescalin altered his perceptions in a variety of ways. What were some of the ways in which his perception of reality was altered? How did he feel about these changes? What is Huxley's theory regarding how mescalin works on the human brain? Is this theory accurate? What lasting effects resulted from Huxley's use of mescalin?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley describes various vision-inducing methods in the book. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method, and why? Which one does Huxley prefer? What groups of people commonly used each method? Is each method still commonly used? Are they all equally effective? If not, which ones are more effective?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley refers to the concept of "Ding an Sich," or "thing in itself," to express the concept of something which is simply "there." How does this concept relate to the work of various artists discussed by Huxley in the text? How does it relate to the visionary experiences Huxley has had?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)