Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley was willing, and in fact eager, to try mescalin for research purposes. Why was he so willing to try it? Were there any known risks? If so, what were they? How did Huxley feel about those risks? What expectations did Huxley have for the experience? Were those expectations met?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley describes various vision-inducing methods in the book. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method, and why? Which one does Huxley prefer? What groups of people commonly used each method? Is each method still commonly used? Are they all equally effective? If not, which ones are more effective?
Essay Topic 3
The difference between Eastern and Western art is significant to Huxley. What are the major differences between these two cultural art forms? Why does Huxley feel that these differences are so significant? How do the differences between Eastern and Western art relate to the visionary experiences Huxley talks about in the rest of the text?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)