|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Essay Topic 1
Huxley refers to the concept of "Ding an Sich," or "thing in itself," to express the concept of something which is simply "there." How does this concept relate to the work of various artists discussed by Huxley in the text? How does it relate to the visionary experiences Huxley has had?
Essay Topic 2
The difference between Eastern and Western art is significant to Huxley. What are the major differences between these two cultural art forms? Why does Huxley feel that these differences are so significant? How do the differences between Eastern and Western art relate to the visionary experiences Huxley talks about in the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley uses zoology as a metaphor for the unexplored regions of the human mind. What is a metaphor? What is Huxley trying to convey by using this metaphor? Is the metaphor effective and appropriate? If not, is there a more appropriate one which he could have used, and why would it have been better? Did this metaphor aid your understanding of Huxley's point?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)