|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
2. What is known about the substance being tested as of the year the experiment is performed?
3. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
4. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
5. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two methods discussed in Appendix 1 for inducing a visionary experience?
2. What metaphor does the author use at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell" to describe the unexplored regions of the human psyche?
3. What other practices commonly incorporated into religious ceremonies produce results similar to the first vision-inducing method discussed in Appendix 1?
4. In what other way did faithful people sometimes induce religious visions, according to the author?
5. How does the author feel about the explanations for visions which he presents in Appendix 2?
6. What does the author say about the history of fireworks, in Appendix 3?
7. To which spiritual practice does the author refer to exemplify the effects of a restricted diet?
8. What does the author begin to ponder after seeing a book of Sandro Botticelli's paintings in the World's Biggest Drug Store?
9. Why is the author eager to participate in the study of peyote and mescalin?
10. What types of art have the most transportative properties, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different groups have very different attitudes toward vision-inducing methods, according to Huxley. Which groups does Huxley mention? What are their attitudes toward various vision-inducing methods? Does Huxley agree with any of these groups? If so, which one?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley claims that people are so used to Nature, as it is seen from an everyday perspective, that they are fooled into thinking they know everything about it. What changes for people, according to Huxley, when this perspective is altered?
Essay Topic 3
Color and light are both crucial aspects of a visionary experience, according to Huxley. Why? In what natural objects are color and light often seen in an intense concentration? How are these objects part of religion and spirituality? In Huxley's opinion, why are color and light so important to visionary experiences?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)