|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
3. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
5. To what researcher does the author refer when commenting on the first technique in Appendix 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's view of heaven and hell, as described at the end of the second essay?
2. What other practices commonly incorporated into religious ceremonies produce results similar to the first vision-inducing method discussed in Appendix 1?
3. How and why has the diet of most people changed over time?
4. What does the author say about the history of fireworks, in Appendix 3?
5. What personal story is related by the author concerning the second vision-inducing method in Appendix 1?
6. How is the practice of pageantry related to theatrical spectacle, according to the author in Appendix 3?
7. What is different about the two forms of visionary art discussed in Appendix 3?
8. What are the author's expectations regarding what he will experience during the mescalin trial?
9. What does the author say in "Heaven and Hell" about gemstones?
10. In what other way did faithful people sometimes induce religious visions, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley describes the vision-inducing powers of different visual arts. What are the arts which he mentions? How does each of these arts help to induce visionary experiences in the viewers? What relationship to these arts have to one another, and what technological developments took place for the advancement of these arts?
Essay Topic 2
Peyote and its active ingredient mescalin have been used for centuries by Native Americans and other groups for their vision-inducing powers. What was known about mescalin when Huxley began his experiment? What was the purpose of the experiment? What was discovered during the course of the experiment? Were there any unexpected effects of the drug? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley devotes an appendix to discussing the works of Gericault. Why are Gericault's works so important to Huxley? What does he experience when viewing Gericault's works? In what way do Gericault's paintings relate to the theme of visionary experiences?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)