|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
2. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
3. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
4. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why has the diet of most people changed over time?
2. Why is the author eager to participate in the study of peyote and mescalin?
3. What does the author say in "Heaven and Hell" about gemstones?
4. What is the author's view of heaven and hell, as described at the end of the second essay?
5. What does the author say about Plato during the first part of the mescalin experiment?
6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the first vision-inducing method discussed in Appendix 1?
7. How does light affect the art of sculpture?
8. How is the practice of pageantry related to theatrical spectacle, according to the author in Appendix 3?
9. How did movies evolve, according to the information presented in Appendix 3?
10. What experiment was conducted on the human brain by Penfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different groups have very different attitudes toward vision-inducing methods, according to Huxley. Which groups does Huxley mention? What are their attitudes toward various vision-inducing methods? Does Huxley agree with any of these groups? If so, which one?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley devotes one appendix to discussing the art of Georges de La Tour. How was Huxley affected by La Tour's art? What was unique about it? What does La Tour's art have to do with visionary experiences? Do you think other people who saw La Tour's art viewed it in the same way Huxley did?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley mentions the diminished role of psychics and visionaries in modern Western society. Why is this the case? Why are they still more prevalent in other societies? What changes occurred which brought about this situation? Do you agree with Huxley's opinion on psychics and visionaries?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)