|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
2. What is the name of the plant in which the substance being tested is found?
3. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
4. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
5. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the two forms of visionary art discussed in Appendix 3?
2. How and why has the diet of most people changed over time?
3. According to the author, what is the role of psychics and mystics in the modern Western world, and why?
4. What are the author's expectations regarding what he will experience during the mescalin trial?
5. In general, what is the topic of the first essay?
6. What is the author's view of heaven and hell, as described at the end of the second essay?
7. How does the author feel about the explanations for visions which he presents in Appendix 2?
8. How does light affect the art of sculpture?
9. What does the author begin to ponder after seeing a book of Sandro Botticelli's paintings in the World's Biggest Drug Store?
10. What does the author say about the history of fireworks, in Appendix 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley refers to the concept of "Ding an Sich," or "thing in itself," to express the concept of something which is simply "there." How does this concept relate to the work of various artists discussed by Huxley in the text? How does it relate to the visionary experiences Huxley has had?
Essay Topic 2
Color and light are both crucial aspects of a visionary experience, according to Huxley. Why? In what natural objects are color and light often seen in an intense concentration? How are these objects part of religion and spirituality? In Huxley's opinion, why are color and light so important to visionary experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley mentions the diminished role of psychics and visionaries in modern Western society. Why is this the case? Why are they still more prevalent in other societies? What changes occurred which brought about this situation? Do you agree with Huxley's opinion on psychics and visionaries?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)