|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
2. In what type of plant is the substance being tested commonly found?
3. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
4. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
5. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the two forms of visionary art discussed in Appendix 3?
2. To which spiritual practice does the author refer to exemplify the effects of a restricted diet?
3. What personal story is related by the author concerning the second vision-inducing method in Appendix 1?
4. What is known about peyote before the author participates in his experiment with it?
5. What does the author say about Plato during the first part of the mescalin experiment?
6. How did movies evolve, according to the information presented in Appendix 3?
7. What does the author begin to ponder after seeing a book of Sandro Botticelli's paintings in the World's Biggest Drug Store?
8. How does light affect the art of sculpture?
9. What types of art have the most transportative properties, according to the author?
10. What experiment was conducted on the human brain by Penfield?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley mentions the diminished role of psychics and visionaries in modern Western society. Why is this the case? Why are they still more prevalent in other societies? What changes occurred which brought about this situation? Do you agree with Huxley's opinion on psychics and visionaries?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley devotes an appendix to discussing the works of Gericault. Why are Gericault's works so important to Huxley? What does he experience when viewing Gericault's works? In what way do Gericault's paintings relate to the theme of visionary experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The difference between Eastern and Western art is significant to Huxley. What are the major differences between these two cultural art forms? Why does Huxley feel that these differences are so significant? How do the differences between Eastern and Western art relate to the visionary experiences Huxley talks about in the rest of the text?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)