|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
2. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
3. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
5. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the second vision-inducing method discussed in Appendix 1?
2. What are the two methods discussed in Appendix 1 for inducing a visionary experience?
3. What does the author begin to ponder after seeing a book of Sandro Botticelli's paintings in the World's Biggest Drug Store?
4. In what other way did faithful people sometimes induce religious visions, according to the author?
5. How is the practice of pageantry related to theatrical spectacle, according to the author in Appendix 3?
6. What are the author's expectations regarding what he will experience during the mescalin trial?
7. How does Carlyle feel about other people?
8. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
9. What metaphor does the author use at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell" to describe the unexplored regions of the human psyche?
10. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley describes the vision-inducing powers of different visual arts. What are the arts which he mentions? How does each of these arts help to induce visionary experiences in the viewers? What relationship to these arts have to one another, and what technological developments took place for the advancement of these arts?
Essay Topic 2
Huxley is very interested in the mental state of schizophrenics and other neurotics. Why is this study so important to Huxley? What does he say about the state in which schizophrenics and other psychotics live their lives, and why does he feel that way? What can be done to help them? What can be done to simulate these disorders in a normal person, and why might that be done?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley devotes one appendix to discussing the art of Georges de La Tour. How was Huxley affected by La Tour's art? What was unique about it? What does La Tour's art have to do with visionary experiences? Do you think other people who saw La Tour's art viewed it in the same way Huxley did?
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)