|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
2. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
3. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
4. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
5. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the author's expectations regarding what he will experience during the mescalin trial?
2. In general, what is the topic of the first essay?
3. To which spiritual practice does the author refer to exemplify the effects of a restricted diet?
4. What experiment was conducted on the human brain by Penfield?
5. What is known about peyote before the author participates in his experiment with it?
6. What personal story is related by the author concerning the second vision-inducing method in Appendix 1?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the second vision-inducing method discussed in Appendix 1?
8. What is the author's view of heaven and hell, as described at the end of the second essay?
9. What does the author say in "Heaven and Hell" about the two possible techniques for achieving the level of consciousness needed to explore the mind?
10. What types of art have the most transportative properties, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Huxley describes the vision-inducing powers of different visual arts. What are the arts which he mentions? How does each of these arts help to induce visionary experiences in the viewers? What relationship to these arts have to one another, and what technological developments took place for the advancement of these arts?
Essay Topic 2
Peyote and its active ingredient mescalin have been used for centuries by Native Americans and other groups for their vision-inducing powers. What was known about mescalin when Huxley began his experiment? What was the purpose of the experiment? What was discovered during the course of the experiment? Were there any unexpected effects of the drug? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Huxley mentions the diminished role of psychics and visionaries in modern Western society. Why is this the case? Why are they still more prevalent in other societies? What changes occurred which brought about this situation? Do you agree with Huxley's opinion on psychics and visionaries?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)