|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does the author quote in Appendix 5?
2. According to the author, what happens when Nature is seen up-close or from a different angle?
(a) It is still ordinary and everyday.
(b) It seems strange and wondrous.
(c) It is disconcerting and unsettling.
(d) It is frightening and undefinable.
3. What does the author say in response to Gericault's quote about his own paintings?
(a) That there were other painters who did what Gericault did, and did it better.
(b) That Gericault's style was not as original as Gericault seemed to think.
(c) Gericault is deluded into thinking that his art was transformative, when it really wasn't.
(d) More often, what the subject turned into was much less amiable than what Gericault claimed.
4. Which of Van Gogh's paintings does the author use as an example of Western landscape art?
(a) "Starry Night."
(b) "The Day After."
(d) "Long Road."
5. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) In Hell.
(c) On Earth.
(d) None of these places.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
2. How did Carlyle feel when he walked down a crowded street?
3. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
4. From what secondary mental illness did Carlyle suffer, according to his biographer?
5. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
2. What does the author say about Vuillard at the beginning of Appendix 5?
3. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
4. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
5. What is the difference, according to the author, between the two paintings he compares at the end of Appendix 5?
6. According to the author, what is unique about "Raft of the Medusa," artistically speaking?
7. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
8. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
9. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
10. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)