|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the subject of the Delacroix painting the author mentions in Appendix 5?
(a) A small girl in a blue dress.
(b) A close-up of bark, leaves and flowers.
(c) A mountainous landscape.
(d) The corner of a room.
2. What does Carlyle write of the men and women around him?
(a) They didn't want to talk to him.
(b) They were merely figures.
(c) They seemed as if they were out to get him.
(d) Their interactions with him were superficial.
3. Why does the author feel that La Tour's art is religious?
(a) The subjects of his paintings are often religious figures.
(b) It emphasizes a divine omnipresence.
(c) La Tour was a very religious man.
(d) People often have visionary experiences looking at La Tour's work.
4. What is the title of the biography written about Carlyle?
(a) "Mr Carlyle, my Patient."
(b) "Carlyle: Man and Author."
(c) "A Study on Psychosis."
(d) "The Delusional Cartographer."
5. According to the author, who might the old man be in the painting by La Tour referenced at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) St. Thomas.
(b) St. Joseph.
(c) St. Paul.
(d) St. Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
2. What poet does the author quote in Appendix 5?
3. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
4. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
5. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
2. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
3. What is the "negative significance" which, according to the author, Carlyle and others like him saw in the world?
4. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
5. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
6. What is unique and praiseworthy about Japanese and Chinese art, according to the author?
7. How does the author introduce Georges de La Tour in Appendix 4?
8. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
9. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
10. What is the significance of the Wordsworth quote in Appendix 5?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)