|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
(a) It is the best way to see natural creatures in their habitat.
(b) We are so familiar with it that we think we know everything about it.
(c) It is the only way humans are conditioned to view Nature.
(d) It is not the best distance from which to view Nature's details.
2. What was the subject of the Delacroix painting the author mentions in Appendix 5?
(a) A close-up of bark, leaves and flowers.
(b) A mountainous landscape.
(c) A small girl in a blue dress.
(d) The corner of a room.
3. According to the author, who might the old man be in the painting by La Tour referenced at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) St. Thomas.
(b) St. Joseph.
(c) St. Peter.
(d) St. Paul.
4. What does the author note about the background of Gericault's "The Derby"?
(a) It is unnaturally colored.
(b) It is very dark.
(c) It doesn't match the tone of the painting and its subjects.
(d) It is too light.
5. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
(a) That they have their own lives and loved ones.
(b) That they are not all as sane as they appear.
(c) That they are not just machines.
(d) That they are sometimes discomfited by his illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
2. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
3. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
4. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
5. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
2. How does the author introduce Georges de La Tour in Appendix 4?
3. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
4. What is unique and praiseworthy about Japanese and Chinese art, according to the author?
5. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
6. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
7. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
8. What does the author mean when he states that La Tour was religious?
9. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
10. Who is James Halliday?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)