|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Gericault's "Horse Startled by Lightning" displayed, according to the author?
(a) The Smithsonian.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) The Museum of Fine Art.
(d) The National Gallery.
2. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
(a) A succubus.
(b) A tree.
(c) A lion.
(d) A demon.
3. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
4. According to the author, what happens when Nature is seen up-close or from a different angle?
(a) It is still ordinary and everyday.
(b) It seems strange and wondrous.
(c) It is frightening and undefinable.
(d) It is disconcerting and unsettling.
5. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
(a) Landscapes and nature.
(b) Women performing daily tasks.
(c) Still-life images of fruit and flowers.
(d) An object seen by the light of a single candle.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
2. To what does Carlyle compare the heavens and earth?
3. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
4. What does the author say in response to Gericault's quote about his own paintings?
5. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
2. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
3. Who is James Halliday?
4. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
5. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
6. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
7. What is unique and praiseworthy about Japanese and Chinese art, according to the author?
8. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
9. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
10. What is "Sartor Resartus"?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)