|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) He didn't use the proper colors for things.
(b) The subjects don't do anything. They are simply there.
(c) He did most of them at a very young age.
(d) All of his paintings are monochromatic.
2. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
(a) A spray of blossoming plum.
(b) Eighteen inches of a bamboo stem with its leaves.
(c) A mountain stream seen from the brush.
(d) Finches in a bush.
3. What does the author call humans, at the end of Appendix 8?
(a) "Clockwork dummies."
(c) "Seductive demons."
(d) "Machines built of flesh."
4. From what secondary mental illness did Carlyle suffer, according to his biographer?
(a) Multiple personality disorder.
(d) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
5. The "new Art of Versailles" was deliberately cultivated, according to the author, during the reign of which king?
(a) Edward VI.
(b) Louis XIV.
(c) Phillip II.
(d) Henry VIII.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT something with which schizophrenics have lost touch, according to the author?
2. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
3. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
4. The author compares schizophrenics to which of Sheol's beings?
5. What is the difference, according to the author, between the Japanese butcher bird painting and Hardy's thrush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about La Tour's style of painting?
2. What is "Sartor Resartus"?
3. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
4. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
5. What does the author say about Vuillard at the beginning of Appendix 5?
6. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
7. What is the "negative significance" which, according to the author, Carlyle and others like him saw in the world?
8. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
9. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
10. What is the difference between Western and Eastern art, as stated in Appendix 5?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)