|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author specifically state in Appendix 6 does NOT open the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo?
(a) "Massy keys of metals twain."
(b) The presence or absence of certain chemicals in the blood.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
2. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
(a) Grinding him limb from limb.
(b) Tossing him around like a vessel on the waves.
(c) Crushing him under its weight.
(d) Ripping his heart to shreds, then mending it again.
3. What is the title of the biography written about Carlyle?
(a) "Carlyle: Man and Author."
(b) "The Delusional Cartographer."
(c) "A Study on Psychosis."
(d) "Mr Carlyle, my Patient."
4. According to the author, what is an example of Vuillard giving the viewer "the best of both worlds" in his paintings?
(a) A painting of an artist painting a landscape.
(b) A painting of a corner of a room with a painted landscape on the wall.
(c) A painting of a house atop a hill, in a vast landscape.
(d) A painting of a wall with a garden view through a window.
5. What does Carlyle write of the men and women around him?
(a) They were merely figures.
(b) Their interactions with him were superficial.
(c) They didn't want to talk to him.
(d) They seemed as if they were out to get him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
2. The author discusses the history of what type of ideas at the end of Appendix 6?
3. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
4. What did Gericault do to his subjects, according to the author?
5. According to the author, who might the old man be in the painting by La Tour referenced at the end of Appendix 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
2. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
3. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
4. To what does the author compare the world inhabited by schizophrenics in Appendix 6?
5. What does the author mean when he states that La Tour was religious?
6. What is the significance of the Wordsworth quote in Appendix 5?
7. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
8. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
9. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
10. What is unique and praiseworthy about Japanese and Chinese art, according to the author?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)