|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
(a) The idea that divinity is manifest in everything.
(b) The symbiotic relationship between Man and Nature.
(c) The idea that Nature is something to be respected, even feared.
(d) The idea that humans don't know as much as we think we do about Nature.
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
(a) Spiritual enlightenment.
(c) "Massy keys of metals twain."
(d) The presence or absence of certain chemicals in the blood.
3. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
(a) That they are not just machines.
(b) That they are sometimes discomfited by his illness.
(c) That they are not all as sane as they appear.
(d) That they have their own lives and loved ones.
4. What does the author say in response to Gericault's quote about his own paintings?
(a) More often, what the subject turned into was much less amiable than what Gericault claimed.
(b) That Gericault's style was not as original as Gericault seemed to think.
(c) Gericault is deluded into thinking that his art was transformative, when it really wasn't.
(d) That there were other painters who did what Gericault did, and did it better.
5. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) Creates a unique way to light and shade the subjects.
(b) Stresses the importance and divinity of something simply existing.
(c) Allows La Tour to make the background of his paintings dark, and therefore less detailed.
(d) Makes them different from other painter's works, even when the subjects are similar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
2. What is the title of the biography written about Carlyle?
3. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
4. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
5. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is unique about "Raft of the Medusa," artistically speaking?
2. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
3. What comment does the author make at the end of Appendix 4 regarding La Tour's personal character?
4. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
5. What is the significance of the Wordsworth quote in Appendix 5?
6. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
7. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
8. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
9. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
10. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)