|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
(a) It would be much better if the painter had made better use of color and shading.
(b) It is a bad picture, but its point of view is interesting.
(c) Its subject matter was too grim for it to be a good painting.
(d) The painter misinterpreted the Shakespearean scene he was attempting to portray.
2. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
(a) Landscapes and nature.
(b) An object seen by the light of a single candle.
(c) Still-life images of fruit and flowers.
(d) Women performing daily tasks.
3. How did Carlyle feel when he walked down a crowded street?
4. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
5. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) In Hell.
(b) On Earth.
(c) None of these places.
(d) In Heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carlyle write of the men and women around him?
2. Who is mentioned in Appendix 5 as the artist who painted "Dell in Helmingham Park"?
3. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
4. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
5. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)