|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) All of his paintings are monochromatic.
(b) He did most of them at a very young age.
(c) The subjects don't do anything. They are simply there.
(d) He didn't use the proper colors for things.
2. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
(a) Ripping his heart to shreds, then mending it again.
(b) Crushing him under its weight.
(c) Grinding him limb from limb.
(d) Tossing him around like a vessel on the waves.
3. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
(a) The streets of London.
(b) The road to Saint-Cloud.
(c) A pasture in the countryside.
(d) In a forest in Leeds.
4. Who is mentioned in Appendix 5 as the artist who painted "Dell in Helmingham Park"?
(b) Van Gogh.
5. What is the last sentence in Appendix 8?
(a) "The robots are nothing if not versatile."
(b) "Beware the pendula."
(c) "I have nothing to fear but everything."
(d) "If being a visionary makes me psychotic, then I gladly will be so."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
2. Who wrote the biography about Carlyle?
3. The author discusses the history of what type of ideas at the end of Appendix 6?
4. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
5. To what animal does Carlyle compare himself?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)