|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
(a) That they are sometimes discomfited by his illness.
(b) That they are not all as sane as they appear.
(c) That they have their own lives and loved ones.
(d) That they are not just machines.
2. To what does Carlyle compare the universe?
(a) A grinding wheel.
(b) A wild horse.
(c) A computer.
(d) A steam-engine.
3. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(c) "Old Man in a Boat."
4. What does the world inhabited by schizophrenics and other psychotics resemble, according to the author?
(a) The world of the dead.
(b) A psychedelic fugue.
(c) The spirits seen by a psychic.
(d) A sane person's nervous breakdown.
5. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
(a) The accounts of Gericault's friends.
(b) The uneasiness the author felt when looking at Gericault's work.
(c) Journals and letters written by Gericault himself.
(d) The desperate tenor of Gericault's paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how did Carlyle see everything?
2. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
3. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
4. What is the highest point of the transformation the author discusses in Appendix 6?
5. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is unique about "Raft of the Medusa," artistically speaking?
2. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
3. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
4. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
5. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
6. What is the difference between Western and Eastern art, as stated in Appendix 5?
7. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
8. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
9. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
10. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)