|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT something with which schizophrenics have lost touch, according to the author?
(d) Fellow beings.
2. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) "Old Man in a Boat."
3. According to the author, what happens when Nature is seen up-close or from a different angle?
(a) It is still ordinary and everyday.
(b) It is frightening and undefinable.
(c) It seems strange and wondrous.
(d) It is disconcerting and unsettling.
4. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
(a) Eighteen inches of a bamboo stem with its leaves.
(b) A spray of blossoming plum.
(c) Finches in a bush.
(d) A mountain stream seen from the brush.
5. What does the author note about the background of Gericault's "The Derby"?
(a) It doesn't match the tone of the painting and its subjects.
(b) It is unnaturally colored.
(c) It is too light.
(d) It is very dark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say about Millais' "Ophelia" in Appendix 5?
2. According to Carlyle, why didn't he suffer from any definite fear?
3. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
4. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
5. What is the highest point of the transformation the author discusses in Appendix 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author mean when he states that La Tour was religious?
2. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
3. What phrase does the author use to describe Gericault at the beginning of Appendix 7, and what does it mean?
4. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
5. Which of Gericault's paintings are included by the author in a list of Gericault's "demonic pictures"?
6. Who is James Halliday?
7. How does Carlyle feel about other people?
8. What is unique and praiseworthy about Japanese and Chinese art, according to the author?
9. What is "Sartor Resartus"?
10. What does the author say about Vuillard at the beginning of Appendix 5?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)