|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author compares Carlyle to what other artist?
(d) Da Vinci.
2. What does Carlyle call "an incredible tradition"?
(c) Raising children.
(d) Working for a living.
3. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) God's immanence.
(b) Visionary experiences.
(c) Divine retribution.
(d) Cautionary tales.
4. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
(a) It is the only way humans are conditioned to view Nature.
(b) It is the best way to see natural creatures in their habitat.
(c) We are so familiar with it that we think we know everything about it.
(d) It is not the best distance from which to view Nature's details.
5. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
(a) "The Venus of Willendorf."
(b) "The Robust Workhorse."
(c) "The Creation of Man."
(d) "The Painters of Reality."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is an example of Vuillard giving the viewer "the best of both worlds" in his paintings?
2. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
3. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
4. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
5. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
2. What is the difference, according to the author, between the two paintings he compares at the end of Appendix 5?
3. What did Gericault use as models for his work, "Raft of the Medusa"?
4. What does Halliday write about Carlyle's description of himself?
5. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
6. What does Gericault say about his own artwork, according to the quote in Appendix 7?
7. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
8. What literary allusions does the author make near the end of Appendix 6 regarding schizophrenics?
9. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
10. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)