|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
(a) As a giant arena battle.
(b) As a series of visionary apocalypses.
(c) As a setpiece for dramatic art.
(d) As a disturbing panorama of ideas and wishes.
2. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
(b) Derivatives of adrenalin.
3. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about Nature "at the middle distance"?
(a) It is not the best distance from which to view Nature's details.
(b) We are so familiar with it that we think we know everything about it.
(c) It is the only way humans are conditioned to view Nature.
(d) It is the best way to see natural creatures in their habitat.
4. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
5. According to the author, what theme is illustrated by the close-up landscapes of Chinese and Japanese art?
(a) The symbiotic relationship between Man and Nature.
(b) The idea that humans don't know as much as we think we do about Nature.
(c) The idea that divinity is manifest in everything.
(d) The idea that Nature is something to be respected, even feared.
Short Answer Questions
1. In theological terms, the progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6 is a transition from what to what?
2. According to the author, who might the old man be in the painting by La Tour referenced at the end of Appendix 4?
3. What is revealed, to the author, by Gericault's "Horse Startled by Lightning"?
4. Who is mentioned in Appendix 5 as the artist who painted "Dell in Helmingham Park"?
5. What was the subject of the Delacroix painting the author mentions in Appendix 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carlyle feel about other people?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, how are the doors of Heaven and Hell opened for the living?
3. According to the author, in what state do schizophrenics spend most of their time?
4. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
5. Who is James Halliday?
6. According to the author, how did La Tour feel about "theatrical effects" in his paintings?
7. Of what was Carlyle constantly apprehensive or afraid?
8. What are the types of passage that the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
9. What does the author mean when he calls La Tour an "extroverted visionary"?
10. What does the author say in Appendix 5 about "Nature at the middle distance"?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)