|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
(b) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
(c) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
(d) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
2. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(b) "Old Man in a Boat."
3. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
(a) Meditation and drugs.
(b) Fasting and meditation.
(c) Drugs and fasting.
(d) Drugs and hypnosis.
4. What was the subject of the Delacroix painting the author mentions in Appendix 5?
(a) A close-up of bark, leaves and flowers.
(b) A mountainous landscape.
(c) The corner of a room.
(d) A small girl in a blue dress.
5. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
(a) A mountain stream seen from the brush.
(b) Eighteen inches of a bamboo stem with its leaves.
(c) A spray of blossoming plum.
(d) Finches in a bush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
2. What is revealed, to the author, by Gericault's "Horse Startled by Lightning"?
3. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
4. What poet does the author quote in Appendix 5?
5. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)