|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
2. From what secondary mental illness did Carlyle suffer, according to his biographer?
(a) Multiple personality disorder.
(c) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
3. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(b) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
(c) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(d) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
4. Gericault claimed that when he started to paint a woman, it turned into what?
(a) A tree.
(b) A lion.
(c) A demon.
(d) A succubus.
5. To what researcher does the author refer when commenting on the first technique in Appendix 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
2. Who is the first painter mentioned in Appendix IV?
3. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
4. What "divine tautology" is expressed by the subjects of great nature art, according to the author?
5. To what sort of life are schizophrenics condemned, according to the author?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)