|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(b) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(c) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
(d) They never have the same vision twice.
2. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) In the mid-18th century.
(b) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(c) During the Renaissance.
(d) During the Industrial Revolution.
3. The first painter mentioned in Appendix IV was the appointed artist to the king of what nation?
4. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(a) Non-representational painting.
(b) Traditional documentary.
5. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
(a) Grinding him limb from limb.
(b) Ripping his heart to shreds, then mending it again.
(c) Tossing him around like a vessel on the waves.
(d) Crushing him under its weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
2. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
3. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
4. Carlyle writes that he sometimes forgets what about other people?
5. To what does Carlyle compare the universe?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)