|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(c) Traditional documentary.
(d) Non-representational painting.
2. What is the first Gericault painting mentioned by the author in Appendix 7?
(a) "Horse Startled by Lightning."
(b) "Officier de Chasseurs."
(c) "Raft of the Medusa."
(d) "The Derby."
3. According to the author, how did Carlyle see everything?
(a) As a creative disaster.
(b) As dangerous.
(c) As his ultimate resting place.
(d) As negatively significant.
4. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
(a) They lost a great deal of weight during the winter.
(b) They sometimes died because they went out searching for food when the weather was still inclement and wintry.
(c) By spring, they were suffering from scurvy and pellagra.
(d) They often had cravings for foods that weren't available to them, which made them irritable.
5. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
(b) His perception of time is unchanged.
(c) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
(d) It doesn't matter to him at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
3. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)