|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
(a) Because it worked upon the penitents' feelings of guilt.
(b) Because there is vivid and graphic mythology associated with it.
(c) Because the faithful were gathered in large groups for the services.
(d) Because it was preceded by Lent.
2. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(b) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(c) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(d) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
3. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
(b) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
(c) Hypnosis and fasting.
(d) Fasting and meditation.
4. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
(a) It is neither positive nor negative; it just is.
(b) It is mostly positive, but frightening at times.
(c) It is positive for him, but he can see where it would be frightening for others.
(d) It is mostly negative, but the positive parts make it worthwhile.
5. According to Carlyle's biographer, what was his predominant mental illness?
(a) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(c) Delusional psychosis.
(d) Generalized panic disorder.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
2. What is striking about the painting of the butcher bird, to which the author refers at the end of Appendix 5?
3. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
4. What does Carlyle write of the men and women around him?
5. What, according to the author, breaks the silence in which schizophrenics exist?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)