|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gericault use as a model for the people in "Raft of the Medusa"?
(a) Neither answer is correct.
(b) The torso and face of a friend who was suffering from hepatitis.
(c) Pieces of corpses given to him by medical students.
(d) Both answers are correct.
2. How did Carlyle feel when he walked down a crowded street?
3. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
(a) They don't share the same symptoms, but they share the same illness and brain dysfunction.
(b) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a greater extent.
(c) They share the same symptoms, and the intensity of those symptoms is about equal.
(d) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a lesser extent.
4. Where was Gericault when he saw the horse that inspired him to paint "Officiers de Chasseurs"?
(a) In a forest in Leeds.
(b) A pasture in the countryside.
(c) The streets of London.
(d) The road to Saint-Cloud.
5. Upon what evidence does the author base his estimation of the way in which Gericault saw the world?
(a) The uneasiness the author felt when looking at Gericault's work.
(b) The desperate tenor of Gericault's paintings.
(c) Journals and letters written by Gericault himself.
(d) The accounts of Gericault's friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author feel that La Tour's art is religious?
2. According to the author in Appendix 6, what opens the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo for the living?
3. What is known about the substance being tested as of the year the experiment is performed?
4. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
5. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)