|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference, according to the author, between the Japanese butcher bird painting and Hardy's thrush?
(a) Each bird is painted in a very different style due to the difference in culture.
(b) The Western bird wants to teach the viewer something, whereas the Eastern bird is content to simply be.
(c) There is no difference; they are very similar paintings in terms of their visionary qualities.
(d) The Western bird is surrounded by foliage, while the Eastern bird is not.
2. According to the author, how did Gericault see the world?
(a) As a series of visionary apocalypses.
(b) As a disturbing panorama of ideas and wishes.
(c) As a setpiece for dramatic art.
(d) As a giant arena battle.
3. From what secondary mental illness did Carlyle suffer, according to his biographer?
(a) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(d) Multiple personality disorder.
4. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
(a) The author's friend's vision of a colorful Japanese landscape.
(b) Nostradamus's visions of the future.
(c) Weir Mitchell's visions of the Gothic tower.
(d) Blake's visions of the Cherubim.
5. Which of these is NOT something with which schizophrenics have lost touch, according to the author?
(a) Fellow beings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the work by Carlyle that the author quotes in Appendix 8?
2. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
3. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
4. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
5. According to the author, how did Carlyle see everything?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)