|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
(a) The act of burning oneself.
(b) The act of piercing one's skin.
(c) The act of cutting oneself.
(d) The act of whipping oneself.
2. What is the title of the work by Carlyle that the author quotes in Appendix 8?
(a) "Sartor Resartus."
(b) "Dialogue on the Universe."
(c) "I, Carlyle."
(d) "Of Men and Gods."
3. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) The effects of the drugs immediately wear off.
(b) The user is more prone to nausea, vomiting or seizure.
(c) Any negative effects being experienced by the user will disappear.
(d) The effects of the drugs are intensified and enriched.
4. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) In Hell.
(b) On Earth.
(c) In Heaven.
(d) None of these places.
5. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
(a) Derivatives of adrenalin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author compares schizophrenics to which of Sheol's beings?
2. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
3. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
4. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
5. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)