|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carlyle write of the men and women around him?
(a) They seemed as if they were out to get him.
(b) They didn't want to talk to him.
(c) Their interactions with him were superficial.
(d) They were merely figures.
2. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(b) Adrenalin and histamines.
(c) Endorphins and serotonin.
(d) Histamines and endorphins.
3. What is striking about the painting of the butcher bird, to which the author refers at the end of Appendix 5?
(a) It is looking directly at the viewer.
(b) It stands alone with nothing on any side of it.
(c) It is drawn in painstaking detail.
(d) It has an almost human expression.
4. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
5. What film does the author reference as an example of the distorted documentary?
(a) "The Living Desert."
(b) "The Revolt of Islam."
(c) "Queen Mab."
(d) "NY, NY."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
2. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
3. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
4. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
5. What phrase does the author use at the beginning of Appendix 7 to describe Gericault?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)