|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, how did Carlyle see everything?
(a) As a creative disaster.
(b) As his ultimate resting place.
(c) As negatively significant.
(d) As dangerous.
2. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(d) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
3. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
(b) Bodily mortification.
4. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
5. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
(b) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(c) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(d) They never have the same vision twice.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
2. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
3. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
5. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)