|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) In Hell.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) On Earth.
(d) None of these places.
2. What was the subject of the poem the author quotes in Appendix 5?
(a) A bird flying out of a bush and settling in the poet's hand.
(b) A child on a road surrounded by corn fields.
(c) A solitary oak tree on top of a hill.
(d) A pond surrounded by poplars in fall.
3. What is the highest point of the transformation the author discusses in Appendix 6?
(a) Spiritual enlightenment.
(b) Appreciation of nature.
(c) Mystical experience.
(d) Satisfaction in everyday things.
4. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
(a) Finches in a bush.
(b) A mountain stream seen from the brush.
(c) A spray of blossoming plum.
(d) Eighteen inches of a bamboo stem with its leaves.
5. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A Japanese landscape.
(b) A vision of Heaven.
(c) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(d) A vision of Hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is striking about the painting of the butcher bird, to which the author refers at the end of Appendix 5?
2. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
3. According to the author, who might the old man be in the painting by La Tour referenced at the end of Appendix 4?
4. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
5. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)