|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Carlyle, why didn't he suffer from any definite fear?
(a) He felt that death was merely another stage of existence.
(b) He knew God would protect him.
(c) He had no hope.
(d) Nothing could be worse than his present condition.
2. Which is NOT one of the "visionary arts" that the author mentions at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) Theatrical spectacle.
(d) Religious ritual.
3. What is the highest point of the transformation the author discusses in Appendix 6?
(a) Mystical experience.
(b) Satisfaction in everyday things.
(c) Appreciation of nature.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
4. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
(b) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
(c) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
(d) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
5. According to the author, in what year did the rediscovery of La Tour begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
2. What did Carlyle feel the universe was doing to him?
3. According to the author, what happens when Nature is seen up-close or from a different angle?
4. What is self-flagellation?
5. According to the author, how did Gericault paint "The Raft of Medusa"?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)