|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Adrenalin and histamines.
(b) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(c) Histamines and endorphins.
(d) Endorphins and serotonin.
2. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
3. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
(a) They were sent by God, and the chemicals had nothing to do with it.
(b) Most truly spiritual people don't believe in visionary experiences.
(c) All experiences are chemically-induced, including the divine ones, because that's just how our bodies work.
(d) A vision which is chemically-induced cannot be divine.
4. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
(b) Inhalation of carbon dioxide.
5. How is the subject of a great work of nature art portrayed, according to the author?
(a) As an aspect of a greater whole.
(b) As the bearer of some secret message.
(c) As the center of its own little universe.
(d) As a representation of an ideal form.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT an example given by the author of great nature art?
2. Who wrote the biography about Carlyle?
3. What was the subject of the poem the author quotes in Appendix 5?
4. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
5. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)