|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What substance is produced when adrenalin decomposes?
2. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
(a) It was something which could be enjoyed by people of all ages and classes.
(b) The actors' talent was more important to the success of the performance than the script.
(c) It was able to transport people and give them wondrous experiences.
(d) The set and visual components are just as important, perhaps more so, than the words.
3. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
4. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Adrenalin and histamines.
(b) Histamines and endorphins.
(c) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(d) Endorphins and serotonin.
5. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
(b) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(c) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
(d) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
2. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
3. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
4. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
5. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)