|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
(b) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
(c) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
(d) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
2. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
(a) The cardiovascular system.
(b) The gastrointestinal system.
(c) The limbic system.
(d) The nervous system.
3. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
(b) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(c) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(d) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
4. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) They have played a greater role in religion than in fine art.
(b) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in fine arts.
(c) They have played a greater role in fine art than in popular entertainment.
(d) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in religion.
5. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
(a) Its chemical makeup is similar to adrenalin.
(b) It was a natural by-product of processing the plant in certain ways.
(c) It shouldn't be used by people with anxiety or panic disorders.
(d) It permanently alters the user's brain in some ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
2. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
3. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
4. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
5. What is the political purpose of regalia and pageantry, according to the author?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)