|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(b) During the Industrial Revolution.
(c) During the Renaissance.
(d) In the mid-18th century.
2. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
(a) Widespread literacy.
(c) Artificial lighting.
(d) Mass production of clothing and jewelry.
3. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(b) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(c) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(d) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
4. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
(b) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
(c) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
(d) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
5. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
Short Answer Questions
1. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
2. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
3. What is NOT a side-effect experienced by under-nourished individuals, according to the author in Appendix 2?
4. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
5. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)