|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(b) In the mid-18th century.
(c) During the Industrial Revolution.
(d) During the Renaissance.
2. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
(a) All experiences are chemically-induced, including the divine ones, because that's just how our bodies work.
(b) A vision which is chemically-induced cannot be divine.
(c) They were sent by God, and the chemicals had nothing to do with it.
(d) Most truly spiritual people don't believe in visionary experiences.
3. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
(a) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(b) Multiple personality disorder.
(c) Attention deficit disorder.
4. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
(a) Because they are so hard to find.
(b) Because the pieces made from them are usually very large.
(c) Because they last longer than many other pieces of art.
(d) Because they are more difficult to work with than other media.
5. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(b) Adrenalin and histamines.
(c) Endorphins and serotonin.
(d) Histamines and endorphins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a side-effect experienced by under-nourished individuals, according to the author in Appendix 2?
2. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
3. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
4. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
5. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)