|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Hypnosis and fasting.
(b) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
(c) Fasting and meditation.
(d) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
2. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
(a) Fasting and meditation.
(b) Drugs and fasting.
(c) Meditation and drugs.
(d) Drugs and hypnosis.
3. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
(a) It was something which could be enjoyed by people of all ages and classes.
(b) The actors' talent was more important to the success of the performance than the script.
(c) It was able to transport people and give them wondrous experiences.
(d) The set and visual components are just as important, perhaps more so, than the words.
4. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
(b) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
(c) His perception of time is unchanged.
(d) It doesn't matter to him at all.
5. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
(a) It demonstrates the suggestibility of humans.
(b) It gets psychiatrists another step closer to understanding how hypnotism works.
(c) It shows the power that art has over the human mind.
(d) It offers another way for people to achieve the same results that they would get with drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is theatrical spectacle?
2. According to the author in Appendix 2, how would "proponents of a 'Nothing-But' philosophy" interpret mystical experiences?
3. What is the political purpose of regalia and pageantry, according to the author?
4. What is NOT a side-effect experienced by under-nourished individuals, according to the author in Appendix 2?
5. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)