|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
(a) They lived in more dangerous environments.
(b) Their visions were induced by a different means.
(c) They had shorter life spans.
(d) They believed in the Devil and were afraid of damnation.
2. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(d) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
3. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(b) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(c) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(d) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
4. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
(c) Angel dust.
5. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) They have played a greater role in religion than in fine art.
(b) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in fine arts.
(c) They have played a greater role in fine art than in popular entertainment.
(d) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
3. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. What event was, according to the author, an example of ancient pageantry which was enriched and improved by technological advances?
5. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)