|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(b) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(c) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(d) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
2. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
(a) An opera.
(b) A bonfire.
(c) A fireworks display.
(d) A religious ceremony.
3. What happened to "pyrotechny" after the fall of Rome?
(a) The technology was lost, and development had to begin from scratch.
(b) It returned to being used exclusively for military purposes.
(c) It became used only in religious and national ceremonies.
(d) Bigger and brighter displays were invented.
4. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
(b) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(c) Attention deficit disorder.
(d) Multiple personality disorder.
5. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
2. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
3. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
4. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
5. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)