|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) They have played a greater role in religion than in fine art.
(b) They have played a greater role in fine art than in popular entertainment.
(c) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in religion.
(d) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in fine arts.
2. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
(a) The Apostle Paul.
(b) The Cure d'Ars.
(c) Saint John.
(d) Benedict XVI.
3. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
(a) All experiences are chemically-induced, including the divine ones, because that's just how our bodies work.
(b) They were sent by God, and the chemicals had nothing to do with it.
(c) Most truly spiritual people don't believe in visionary experiences.
(d) A vision which is chemically-induced cannot be divine.
4. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
(a) A source of propulsion for machinery and engines.
(b) Alchemists' pursuit of a substance that would transform base metals into gold.
(c) Weaponry for sieges and naval battles.
(d) A pursuit of ever-greater displays for leisure and religion.
5. How was the drug typically used up until the 1950s?
(a) In religious ceremonies.
(c) Recreationally, and in religious ceremonies.
(d) To sedate those with psychiatric problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
3. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
4. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
5. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)