|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
(a) A fireworks display.
(b) An opera.
(c) A bonfire.
(d) A religious ceremony.
2. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
(b) Stained glass.
3. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
(b) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(c) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
(d) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
4. In what year does the experiment take place?
5. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(b) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(c) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
(d) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
2. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
3. What were the two primary uses of the science of "pyrotechny," according to the author?
4. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
5. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)