|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
(a) From the user's memories.
(b) From the Mind-at-large.
(c) From the user's imagination.
(d) From the user's racial memory.
2. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
(a) There's a lot of variation in what people see while using this technique.
(b) It is used by very few people in comparison to mescalin.
(c) Its specific effects on the brain are not well understood.
(d) No research has been performed to determine its long-term effects.
3. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Adrenalin and histamines.
(b) Histamines and endorphins.
(c) Endorphins and serotonin.
(d) Serotonin and adrenalin.
4. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
(a) Because it would be sacreligious to presume to know what divine beings do with their time.
(b) Because their role is not an active one.
(c) Because human beings are not predisposed to look for action in art.
(d) Because it is too difficult for most painters to make something beautiful and to also convey a message with it.
5. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
(a) It gets psychiatrists another step closer to understanding how hypnotism works.
(b) It offers another way for people to achieve the same results that they would get with drugs.
(c) It shows the power that art has over the human mind.
(d) It demonstrates the suggestibility of humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
2. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
3. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
4. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
5. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)