|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(b) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(c) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(d) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
2. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
(a) A vision which is chemically-induced cannot be divine.
(b) Most truly spiritual people don't believe in visionary experiences.
(c) They were sent by God, and the chemicals had nothing to do with it.
(d) All experiences are chemically-induced, including the divine ones, because that's just how our bodies work.
3. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
(a) The Cure d'Ars.
(b) Saint John.
(c) The Apostle Paul.
(d) Benedict XVI.
4. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
(a) Solitary, but sometimes focused on others.
(b) Introspective and solitary.
(c) Solitary, but not introspective.
(d) Introspective, but group-oriented.
5. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) The effects of the drugs are intensified and enriched.
(b) The user is more prone to nausea, vomiting or seizure.
(c) Any negative effects being experienced by the user will disappear.
(d) The effects of the drugs immediately wear off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the first objects upon which the author intently focuses during the experiment?
2. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
3. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
4. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
5. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)