|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
2. In what year does the experiment take place?
3. According to the author in Appendix 2, how would "proponents of a 'Nothing-But' philosophy" interpret mystical experiences?
(a) As a profoundly religious experience, independent from chemical changes.
(b) As an inexplicable glimpse into the Mind-At-Large.
(c) As simply the results of chemical changes in the brain.
(d) The result of mental illness.
4. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) His perception of time is unchanged.
(b) It doesn't matter to him at all.
(c) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
(d) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
5. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
(a) Use of a repetitive hand movement.
(b) Use of a stroboscopic lamp.
(c) Use of ambient music.
(d) Use of various sound frequencies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
2. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
3. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
4. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
5. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)