|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
(b) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
(c) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
(d) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
2. What is the Dharma-body?
(a) Truth, joy and enlightenment.
(b) Body, mind and spirit.
(c) Truth, mind, and nature.
(d) Freedom from suffering, enlightenment and transcendence.
3. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
(a) They had shorter life spans.
(b) Their visions were induced by a different means.
(c) They believed in the Devil and were afraid of damnation.
(d) They lived in more dangerous environments.
4. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) Yogic breathing.
5. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(b) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
(c) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
(d) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
2. How do utilitarians feel about art?
3. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
4. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)