|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chemicals were released into the bloodstream during the act of self-flagellation?
(a) Serotonin and adrenalin.
(b) Endorphins and serotonin.
(c) Adrenalin and histamines.
(d) Histamines and endorphins.
2. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
(a) One is costly, while the other is inexpensive.
(b) One is completely non-toxic, while the other has some lasting side effects.
(c) One is well-researched, while the other is relatively unknown.
(d) One involves chemicals, while the other makes use of physics.
3. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
(b) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(c) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(d) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
4. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
(a) Solitary, but not introspective.
(b) Introspective and solitary.
(c) Introspective, but group-oriented.
(d) Solitary, but sometimes focused on others.
5. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) The Northeast.
(c) The Southwest.
(d) The Southeast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
2. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
3. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
4. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
5. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)