|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
(a) It is mostly positive, but frightening at times.
(b) It is mostly negative, but the positive parts make it worthwhile.
(c) It is neither positive nor negative; it just is.
(d) It is positive for him, but he can see where it would be frightening for others.
2. How do utilitarians feel about art?
(a) It is a necessary diversion for humanity.
(b) It is useful only when it is appreciated by most of society.
(c) It doesn't have much value.
(d) It is only worthwhile if it is beautiful and functional, as in the case of fine architecture.
3. In what year does the experiment take place?
4. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
(a) By spring, they were suffering from scurvy and pellagra.
(b) They lost a great deal of weight during the winter.
(c) They sometimes died because they went out searching for food when the weather was still inclement and wintry.
(d) They often had cravings for foods that weren't available to them, which made them irritable.
5. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
(c) Angel dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
2. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
3. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
4. What is the main reason for conducting the experiment in which the author participates?
5. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)