|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
(b) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
(c) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
(d) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
2. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
(a) Because it was preceded by Lent.
(b) Because there is vivid and graphic mythology associated with it.
(c) Because the faithful were gathered in large groups for the services.
(d) Because it worked upon the penitents' feelings of guilt.
3. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(b) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(c) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(d) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
4. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
(a) It shouldn't be used by people with anxiety or panic disorders.
(b) Its chemical makeup is similar to adrenalin.
(c) It was a natural by-product of processing the plant in certain ways.
(d) It permanently alters the user's brain in some ways.
5. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
(a) They are seen as lunatics or swindlers.
(b) They are regarded with suspicion, but are generally believed if they produce enough evidence.
(c) They are treated like normal people who had an extraordinary experience.
(d) They are treated with reverence and respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
2. How was the drug typically used up until the 1950s?
3. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
4. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
5. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)