|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
(a) Physical and religious.
(b) Chemical and physical.
(c) Philosophical and chemical.
(d) Religious and philosophical.
2. Which of these is NOT a specialist who the author feels should be consulted by an aspiring mystic?
3. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(b) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(c) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
(d) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
4. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
(b) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
(c) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
(d) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
5. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
(a) Burning down a house to roast a pig.
(b) Rowing a boat, or using a motor.
(c) Tying your hands together and trying to knit.
(d) Driving somewhere instead of flying there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
2. What is the main reason for conducting the experiment in which the author participates?
3. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
4. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
5. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)