|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
(b) Hypnosis and fasting.
(c) Fasting and meditation.
(d) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
2. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
3. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
(a) The Midwest.
(b) The Northeast.
(c) The Southeast.
(d) The Southwest.
4. What topic does the author explore in Appendix 2?
(a) The uncommon accuracy with which most visionaries are able to recall their visions.
(b) The personality traits common to most visionaries and mystics.
(c) The availability and safety of various vision-inducing techniques.
(d) The role of visionaries and mystics in the modern Western world.
5. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They never have the same vision twice.
(b) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(c) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(d) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is self-flagellation?
2. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
3. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
5. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)