|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
2. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
(a) It was a natural by-product of processing the plant in certain ways.
(b) Its chemical makeup is similar to adrenalin.
(c) It permanently alters the user's brain in some ways.
(d) It shouldn't be used by people with anxiety or panic disorders.
3. How do utilitarians feel about art?
(a) It is a necessary diversion for humanity.
(b) It is only worthwhile if it is beautiful and functional, as in the case of fine architecture.
(c) It doesn't have much value.
(d) It is useful only when it is appreciated by most of society.
4. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
(a) It blocks the brain's ability to filter sensory input.
(b) It affects the user's ability to react appropriately to potentially dangerous situations.
(c) It makes users unable to recognize or remember familiar people, places and objects.
(d) It affects the brain's enzymes and absorption of glucose.
5. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
(a) It is neither positive nor negative; it just is.
(b) It is mostly negative, but the positive parts make it worthwhile.
(c) It is positive for him, but he can see where it would be frightening for others.
(d) It is mostly positive, but frightening at times.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
2. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
3. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
4. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
5. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)