|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
(a) Stained glass.
2. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) His perception of time is unchanged.
(b) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
(c) It doesn't matter to him at all.
(d) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Heaven.
(b) A vision of Hell.
(c) A Japanese landscape.
(d) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
4. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
(b) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
(c) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
(d) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
5. How do utilitarians feel about art?
(a) It is only worthwhile if it is beautiful and functional, as in the case of fine architecture.
(b) It doesn't have much value.
(c) It is useful only when it is appreciated by most of society.
(d) It is a necessary diversion for humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
2. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
3. How are light and color typically experienced by mescalin users while they are under the influence of the drug?
4. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
5. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)