|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
(b) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
(c) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
(d) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
2. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(b) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(c) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(d) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
3. What is the main reason for conducting the experiment in which the author participates?
(a) A need to understand why the drug has been used in religious and secular ceremonies.
(b) A need to understand the so-called "visionary" experiences associated with the drug.
(c) A need to catalogue the psychological effects of the drug on someone who already has a psychiatric illness.
(d) A need for more comprehensive information regarding the drug's long-term side effects.
4. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(b) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(c) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(d) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
5. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
2. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
3. What is the main quality of the drug being tested?
4. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)