|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The substance being tested has been used by Native Americans of what region for hundreds of years?
(a) The Northeast.
(b) The Southeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The Southwest.
2. The substance produced by the breakdown of adrenaline mimics the effect of what psychological disorder?
(b) Post-traumatic stress disorder.
(c) Attention deficit disorder.
(d) Multiple personality disorder.
3. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) It doesn't matter to him at all.
(b) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
(c) His perception of time is unchanged.
(d) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
4. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
(d) Inhalation of carbon dioxide.
5. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
(b) Fasting and meditation.
(c) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
(d) Hypnosis and fasting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
2. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
3. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
4. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
5. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)