|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
(c) Yogic breathing.
2. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
(a) Because human beings are not predisposed to look for action in art.
(b) Because it is too difficult for most painters to make something beautiful and to also convey a message with it.
(c) Because their role is not an active one.
(d) Because it would be sacreligious to presume to know what divine beings do with their time.
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Heaven.
(b) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(c) A vision of Hell.
(d) A Japanese landscape.
4. Why do people sometimes leave flowers as a religious offering, according to the author?
(a) Because they feel, on some level, that they are giving back something which is indigenous to Heaven.
(b) Because they don't have anything precious to give, but flowers are always available.
(c) Because they are a living sacrifice but not associated with feelings of guilt and shame the way other sacrifices are.
(d) Because they don't really understand the significance of doing so.
5. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
(b) Angel dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Heaven, according to the author?
2. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
3. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
4. The author feels that all human beings are naturally what?
5. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)