|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
(a) It affects the brain's enzymes and absorption of glucose.
(b) It blocks the brain's ability to filter sensory input.
(c) It affects the user's ability to react appropriately to potentially dangerous situations.
(d) It makes users unable to recognize or remember familiar people, places and objects.
2. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They never have the same vision twice.
(b) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(c) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
(d) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
3. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
(b) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
(c) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(d) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
4. What substance is the author testing in the experiment?
(d) Angel dust.
5. How are light and color typically experienced by mescalin users while they are under the influence of the drug?
(a) They appear in geometric shapes, such as buildings or mosaics.
(b) They appear in soft, rounded shapes, such as balls or orbs.
(c) They appear as movement trails and waves.
(d) They appear in natural patterns and tessellations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
2. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
3. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
4. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)