|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what researcher does the author refer when commenting on the first technique in Appendix 1?
2. What researcher performed experiments with touching parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
3. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
(c) Yogic breathing.
4. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
(a) It permanently alters the user's brain in some ways.
(b) It was a natural by-product of processing the plant in certain ways.
(c) Its chemical makeup is similar to adrenalin.
(d) It shouldn't be used by people with anxiety or panic disorders.
5. How does the author feel about the passage of time during the experiment?
(a) His perception of time is unchanged.
(b) It doesn't matter to him at all.
(c) He feels that time speeds up at times, and slows down at others.
(d) He is keenly aware of, and saddened by, each passing second.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
2. Why are religious beings often portrayed doing nothing?
3. How does the author respond when the researcher asks him if his experience with the drug is positive or negative?
4. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. What is the main reason for conducting the experiment in which the author participates?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)