|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
(a) Cat-o-nine-tails made from iron or steel.
(b) Whips made of knotted leather or iron wire.
(c) Belts with nails driven through them.
(d) Flogs made from strips of leather or horsehair.
2. What practice has been undertaken by almost all religious aspirants, according to the author?
(a) Bodily mortification.
3. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
4. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
5. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
(a) Journal entries he wrote during his own psychotic break.
(b) The stories told to him by a psychotic friend.
(c) Descriptions given by ancient religions.
(d) His own experience with drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chemical change does the author mention at the end of Appendix 6?
2. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
3. What discovery was made about the substance being tested in the early 1950s?
4. What was a magic lantern show?
5. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)