Eight Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
(b) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
(c) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
(d) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
2. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
(a) Meditation and sensory deprivation.
(b) Hypnosis and fasting.
(c) Fasting and meditation.
(d) Fasting and sensory deprivation.
3. What is Heaven, according to the author?
(a) A fallacy, created by those who misinterpreted visionary experiences.
(b) A vantage point for viewing divinity.
(c) A concept invented by humanity because of our desperate need for hope.
(d) A place of rest and repose, where no one is doing anything.
4. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
(a) It affects the user's ability to react appropriately to potentially dangerous situations.
(b) It blocks the brain's ability to filter sensory input.
(c) It makes users unable to recognize or remember familiar people, places and objects.
(d) It affects the brain's enzymes and absorption of glucose.
5. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
(b) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
(c) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
(d) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
2. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
3. In what type of plant is the substance being tested commonly found?
4. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
5. According to the author, what is one example of the importance of colors and light to many cultures?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)