|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 4 about the relationship between an artist's character and their work?
(a) Artists must suffer to produce great work.
(b) There is no correlation between the two.
(c) You can judge a man's character by looking at his work.
(d) Only men of great character can create great works of art.
2. According to the author, what is theatrical spectacle?
(a) A way of communicating morals and values to lower-class citizens.
(b) A means by which those without access to high culture can enjoy pageantry.
(c) A transporting and enlightening form of pageantry.
(d) Pageantry without religious or political overtones.
3. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
4. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(c) Non-representational painting.
(d) Traditional documentary.
5. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
(c) "Old Man in a Boat."
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
3. What film does the author reference as an example of the distorted documentary?
4. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
5. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)