|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) Stresses the importance and divinity of something simply existing.
(b) Creates a unique way to light and shade the subjects.
(c) Allows La Tour to make the background of his paintings dark, and therefore less detailed.
(d) Makes them different from other painter's works, even when the subjects are similar.
2. Why are marble and stone often particularly impressive materials in art?
(a) Because they are more difficult to work with than other media.
(b) Because the pieces made from them are usually very large.
(c) Because they last longer than many other pieces of art.
(d) Because they are so hard to find.
3. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
(a) Dreams can be had while awake or asleep, while visions only occur when one is awake.
(b) Visions can be induced, while dreams only happen randomly.
(c) Color is rare in dreams, but is always present in visions.
(d) Visions are often similar to religious experiences, but dreams usually aren't.
4. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
(a) "The Creation of Man."
(b) "The Venus of Willendorf."
(c) "The Painters of Reality."
(d) "The Robust Workhorse."
5. Which is NOT a practice that mimics the effects which result from the first technique described in Appendix 1?
(d) Yogic breathing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
2. Which of La Tour's paintings does the author mention by name at the end of Appendix 4?
3. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
4. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
5. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)