|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
2. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
(a) Flogs made from strips of leather or horsehair.
(b) Whips made of knotted leather or iron wire.
(c) Belts with nails driven through them.
(d) Cat-o-nine-tails made from iron or steel.
3. What was a magic lantern show?
(a) A laser light display.
(b) The nineteenth-century equivalent of a movie.
(c) An early fireworks display.
(d) A projection created with cut-glass and candlelight.
4. What does the author say La Tour paints, at the end of Appendix 4?
(a) Visionary experiences.
(b) Cautionary tales.
(c) Divine retribution.
(d) God's immanence.
5. According to the author in Appendix 2, how would "proponents of a 'Nothing-But' philosophy" interpret mystical experiences?
(a) As an inexplicable glimpse into the Mind-At-Large.
(b) The result of mental illness.
(c) As simply the results of chemical changes in the brain.
(d) As a profoundly religious experience, independent from chemical changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
3. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
4. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
5. Who used to say that when he self-flagellated God would deny him nothing?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)