|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the "visionary arts" that the author mentions at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(c) Theatrical spectacle.
(d) Religious ritual.
2. Who is the first painter mentioned in Appendix IV?
(d) La Tour.
3. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They never have the same vision twice.
(b) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
(c) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
(d) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
4. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(d) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
5. According to the author, why do religious devotees participate in practices to atone for their sins?
(a) To achieve a better understanding of themselves and the teachings of their religion.
(b) To prepare themselves for judgment after death.
(c) To achieve a natural high, created by feelings of religious exultation.
(d) To get a reprieve from feelings of guilt or inadequacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The "new Art of Versailles" was deliberately cultivated, according to the author, during the reign of which king?
2. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
3. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
4. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
5. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)