|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(b) In the mid-18th century.
(c) During the Renaissance.
(d) During the Industrial Revolution.
2. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
3. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
(a) Blake's visions of the Cherubim.
(b) Nostradamus's visions of the future.
(c) The author's friend's vision of a colorful Japanese landscape.
(d) Weir Mitchell's visions of the Gothic tower.
4. What does the candle light do for La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) Creates a unique way to light and shade the subjects.
(b) Stresses the importance and divinity of something simply existing.
(c) Makes them different from other painter's works, even when the subjects are similar.
(d) Allows La Tour to make the background of his paintings dark, and therefore less detailed.
5. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
(a) It blocks the brain's ability to filter sensory input.
(b) It makes users unable to recognize or remember familiar people, places and objects.
(c) It affects the user's ability to react appropriately to potentially dangerous situations.
(d) It affects the brain's enzymes and absorption of glucose.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
2. Which is NOT an object or work of art that the author references in comparison to the subjects of La Tour's paintings?
3. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
4. Why were our ancestors' visions often negative, according to the author?
5. According to the author, there is very little of what in La Tour's paintings?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)