|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
(a) Cat-o-nine-tails made from iron or steel.
(b) Whips made of knotted leather or iron wire.
(c) Belts with nails driven through them.
(d) Flogs made from strips of leather or horsehair.
2. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(b) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(c) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
(d) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
3. How do utilitarians feel about art?
(a) It is useful only when it is appreciated by most of society.
(b) It is only worthwhile if it is beautiful and functional, as in the case of fine architecture.
(c) It doesn't have much value.
(d) It is a necessary diversion for humanity.
4. Why is it important that people can sometimes be hypnotized by gemstones?
(a) It demonstrates the suggestibility of humans.
(b) It offers another way for people to achieve the same results that they would get with drugs.
(c) It shows the power that art has over the human mind.
(d) It gets psychiatrists another step closer to understanding how hypnotism works.
5. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
(a) A fireworks display.
(b) A bonfire.
(c) A religious ceremony.
(d) An opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
2. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
3. What happened to "pyrotechny" after the fall of Rome?
4. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 3 about the past?
5. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)