|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the two primary uses of the science of "pyrotechny," according to the author?
(a) Fireworks and stage lighting.
(b) Religious ceremony and weaponry.
(c) Stage lighting and religious ceremony.
(d) Weaponry and fireworks.
2. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
(b) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
(c) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
(d) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
3. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
(a) They ate dried meat and fruit which they stored during the autumn harvest.
(b) They ate no fruit, no vegetables, and very little meat or dairy.
(c) They ate mostly meat and grains, with some fruit and vegetables.
(d) They ate pretty much the same diet they ate during the rest of the year.
4. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(a) Traditional documentary.
(d) Non-representational painting.
5. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
(a) Because there is vivid and graphic mythology associated with it.
(b) Because the faithful were gathered in large groups for the services.
(c) Because it was preceded by Lent.
(d) Because it worked upon the penitents' feelings of guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest difference between dreams and visions, according to the author?
2. According to the author, what is theatrical spectacle?
3. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
4. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
5. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)