|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
(a) They ate no fruit, no vegetables, and very little meat or dairy.
(b) They ate dried meat and fruit which they stored during the autumn harvest.
(c) They ate mostly meat and grains, with some fruit and vegetables.
(d) They ate pretty much the same diet they ate during the rest of the year.
2. What is the subject of most of La Tour's paintings?
(a) An object seen by the light of a single candle.
(b) Women performing daily tasks.
(c) Still-life images of fruit and flowers.
(d) Landscapes and nature.
3. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) 1 in 25.
(b) 1 in 70.
(c) 1 in 100.
(d) 1 in 80.
4. According to the author, which form of art is most practically useful?
5. What were the two primary uses of the science of "pyrotechny," according to the author?
(a) Fireworks and stage lighting.
(b) Religious ceremony and weaponry.
(c) Weaponry and fireworks.
(d) Stage lighting and religious ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
2. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
3. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
4. The "new Art of Versailles" was deliberately cultivated, according to the author, during the reign of which king?
5. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)