|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(b) A Japanese landscape.
(c) A vision of Hell.
(d) A vision of Heaven.
2. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(b) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(c) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
(d) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
3. According to Huxley, what causes negative visionary experiences?
(a) An allergy to mescalin.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) The way that mescalin is broken down in the body.
(d) A negative outlook on life.
4. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
(a) Cat-o-nine-tails made from iron or steel.
(b) Whips made of knotted leather or iron wire.
(c) Belts with nails driven through them.
(d) Flogs made from strips of leather or horsehair.
5. What La Tour painting was acquired by the Louvre in 1934?
(a) "The Painters of Reality."
(b) "The Robust Workhorse."
(c) "The Creation of Man."
(d) "The Venus of Willendorf."
Short Answer Questions
1. To what field of science does the author compare the human mind at the beginning of "Heaven and Hell"?
2. What is the art form which is most likely to transport those who experience it?
3. To what does the author compare someone fasting and self-flagellating, instead of using drugs, to achieve a visionary experience?
4. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
5. What was the style of the new Art of Versailles, according to the author?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)