|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does mescalin affect the user's brain function?
(a) It makes users unable to recognize or remember familiar people, places and objects.
(b) It affects the brain's enzymes and absorption of glucose.
(c) It blocks the brain's ability to filter sensory input.
(d) It affects the user's ability to react appropriately to potentially dangerous situations.
2. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
(a) The second was written before the author's experimentation with drugs.
(b) The second essay has a darker, more sinister tone than the first.
(c) The second was originally a journal entry, and the author didn't intend to publish it.
(d) The second doesn't recount any specific experience.
3. Why was Holy Week such an effective spiritual practice, according to the author?
(a) Because the faithful were gathered in large groups for the services.
(b) Because there is vivid and graphic mythology associated with it.
(c) Because it was preceded by Lent.
(d) Because it worked upon the penitents' feelings of guilt.
4. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
(a) They ate mostly meat and grains, with some fruit and vegetables.
(b) They ate dried meat and fruit which they stored during the autumn harvest.
(c) They ate pretty much the same diet they ate during the rest of the year.
(d) They ate no fruit, no vegetables, and very little meat or dairy.
5. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
(a) They are treated like normal people who had an extraordinary experience.
(b) They are treated with reverence and respect.
(c) They are seen as lunatics or swindlers.
(d) They are regarded with suspicion, but are generally believed if they produce enough evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 4 about the relationship between an artist's character and their work?
2. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
3. What materials were often used for self-flagellation?
4. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
5. How do utilitarians feel about art?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)