|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which physiological system's tissues are more "vulnerable," according to the author, than the others?
(a) The gastrointestinal system.
(b) The nervous system.
(c) The limbic system.
(d) The cardiovascular system.
2. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Heaven.
(b) A vision of Hell.
(c) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(d) A Japanese landscape.
3. In what way does the second essay differ from the first?
(a) The second was originally a journal entry, and the author didn't intend to publish it.
(b) The second doesn't recount any specific experience.
(c) The second was written before the author's experimentation with drugs.
(d) The second essay has a darker, more sinister tone than the first.
4. Which is NOT one of the "visionary arts" that the author mentions at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) Theatrical spectacle.
(b) Religious ritual.
5. What is self-flagellation?
(a) The act of burning oneself.
(b) The act of whipping oneself.
(c) The act of piercing one's skin.
(d) The act of cutting oneself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to La Tour's reputation as a result of the rise of the new Art of Versailles?
2. According to the author, what are the two ways to achieve a level of consciousness that allows for exploration of the undiscovered areas of the mind?
3. Why is the first technique in Appendix 1 even less understood than mescalin use?
4. What is NOT a side-effect experienced by under-nourished individuals, according to the author in Appendix 2?
5. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)