Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, in Appendix 2 what was the result of our ancestors' winter diets?
(a) They lost a great deal of weight during the winter.
(b) They often had cravings for foods that weren't available to them, which made them irritable.
(c) By spring, they were suffering from scurvy and pellagra.
(d) They sometimes died because they went out searching for food when the weather was still inclement and wintry.
2. According to the author, what are the two reasons for the manner in which visionaries are received?
(a) Chemical and physical.
(b) Physical and religious.
(c) Philosophical and chemical.
(d) Religious and philosophical.
3. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
(a) During the Industrial Revolution.
(b) During the Renaissance.
(c) During the reign of Elizabeth I.
(d) In the mid-18th century.
4. How are many visionaries received by others, according to the author?
(a) They are regarded with suspicion, but are generally believed if they produce enough evidence.
(b) They are treated with reverence and respect.
(c) They are seen as lunatics or swindlers.
(d) They are treated like normal people who had an extraordinary experience.
5. What is unique about La Tour's paintings, according to the author?
(a) He didn't use the proper colors for things.
(b) All of his paintings are monochromatic.
(c) He did most of them at a very young age.
(d) The subjects don't do anything. They are simply there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say at the end of Appendix 4 about the relationship between an artist's character and their work?
2. How does the author describe our ancestors' winter diets in Appendix 2?
3. What two techniques, according to the author, can produce effects similar to those of mescalin?
4. How would a spiritual person interpret chemically-induced visionary experiences?
5. What is self-flagellation?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)