|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) It may last longer than the user originally intended.
(b) It may produce long-term changes in brain function.
(c) It may cause an epileptic seizure.
(d) It may create an unpleasant sensation of nausea or vertigo.
2. What is the second technique, described by the author in Appendix 1, for inducing a visionary state?
(a) Use of a repetitive hand movement.
(b) Use of ambient music.
(c) Use of a stroboscopic lamp.
(d) Use of various sound frequencies.
3. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
(b) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(c) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
(d) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
4. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
(a) They share the same symptoms, and the intensity of those symptoms is about equal.
(b) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a lesser extent.
(c) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a greater extent.
(d) They don't share the same symptoms, but they share the same illness and brain dysfunction.
5. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(b) Traditional documentary.
(d) Non-representational painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
2. What is the political purpose of regalia and pageantry, according to the author?
3. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
4. To whom does the author attribute the concept of Hades, mentioned in Appendix 6?
5. What was a magic lantern show?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)