|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
2. What event was, according to the author, an example of ancient pageantry which was enriched and improved by technological advances?
(a) The first performance of "Romeo and Juliet" in a theater equipped with modern technology.
(b) The first motion picture.
(c) The inauguration of the first President, George Washington.
(d) The coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
3. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
(c) Derivatives of adrenalin.
4. What is the first of the two methods the author discusses in Appendix 1 for inducing visionary experiences?
(a) Inhalation of carbon dioxide.
5. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
(a) The actors' talent was more important to the success of the performance than the script.
(b) It was something which could be enjoyed by people of all ages and classes.
(c) It was able to transport people and give them wondrous experiences.
(d) The set and visual components are just as important, perhaps more so, than the words.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what sort of life are schizophrenics condemned, according to the author?
2. What development contributed greatly, according to the author, to pageantry and theatrical spectacle?
3. What is the potential danger of the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. When did fireworks re-enter the world of popular entertainment, according to the author?
5. What does the world inhabited by schizophrenics and other psychotics resemble, according to the author?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)