|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
(a) A source of propulsion for machinery and engines.
(b) Alchemists' pursuit of a substance that would transform base metals into gold.
(c) Weaponry for sieges and naval battles.
(d) A pursuit of ever-greater displays for leisure and religion.
2. What is the highest point of the transformation the author discusses in Appendix 6?
(a) Mystical experience.
(b) Spiritual enlightenment.
(c) Satisfaction in everyday things.
(d) Appreciation of nature.
3. What does the author specifically state in Appendix 6 does NOT open the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo?
(a) "Massy keys of metals twain."
(c) The presence or absence of certain chemicals in the blood.
(d) Spiritual enlightenment.
4. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) In Heaven.
(b) On Earth.
(c) In Hell.
(d) None of these places.
5. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(b) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(c) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(d) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
2. In theological terms, the progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6 is a transition from what to what?
3. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
4. What was a magic lantern show?
5. What event was, according to the author, an example of ancient pageantry which was enriched and improved by technological advances?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)