|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author compares schizophrenics to which of Sheol's beings?
2. Artificial lighting gave, according to the author, a new visionary quality to what form of ancient art?
3. According to the author, where do the mentally-ill people discussed at the beginning of Appendix 6 spend their time?
(a) None of these places.
(b) In Heaven.
(c) On Earth.
(d) In Hell.
4. According to the author, what is theatrical spectacle?
(a) A way of communicating morals and values to lower-class citizens.
(b) Pageantry without religious or political overtones.
(c) A means by which those without access to high culture can enjoy pageantry.
(d) A transporting and enlightening form of pageantry.
5. According to the author, at the end of Appendix 1 what is one claim that is made almost universally by visionaries?
(a) They are unable to recall the experience in anything approaching its original intensity.
(b) They never have the same vision twice.
(c) They can only have the visions when they are in the right frame of mind to do so.
(d) They are unable to produce the visions at will, regardless of the methods they try.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author discusses the history of what type of ideas at the end of Appendix 6?
2. According to the author, what are the odds of a negative reaction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
3. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
4. Which of these is NOT a vision which the author thinks might be produced by prodding the brain with an electrode?
5. What were the two primary uses of the science of "pyrotechny," according to the author?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)