|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
(a) The rarity of negative side effects in users.
(b) A marked increase in the subject's ability to see things with their eyes closed.
(c) Subjects perceiving that they are able to communicate with a higher power.
(d) The cheapness and availability of the substance used.
2. What chemical change does the author mention at the end of Appendix 6?
(a) Replacing mescalin and lysergic acid with adrenolutin.
(b) Replacing mescalin with adrenolutin and lysergic acid.
(c) Replacing adrenolutin with mescalin and lysergic acid.
(d) Replacing lysergic acid with adrenolutin and mescalin.
3. What happens when mescalin or LSD is used in conjunction with the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) The effects of the drugs are intensified and enriched.
(b) Any negative effects being experienced by the user will disappear.
(c) The effects of the drugs immediately wear off.
(d) The user is more prone to nausea, vomiting or seizure.
4. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
(a) A source of propulsion for machinery and engines.
(b) A pursuit of ever-greater displays for leisure and religion.
(c) Alchemists' pursuit of a substance that would transform base metals into gold.
(d) Weaponry for sieges and naval battles.
5. According to the author, what did Ben Jonson fail to understand about theatrical spectacle?
(a) The actors' talent was more important to the success of the performance than the script.
(b) It was able to transport people and give them wondrous experiences.
(c) The set and visual components are just as important, perhaps more so, than the words.
(d) It was something which could be enjoyed by people of all ages and classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a magic lantern show?
2. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
4. According to the author, what is "one of the most magical and transporting of spectacles"?
5. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)