|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a magic lantern show?
(a) A laser light display.
(b) An early fireworks display.
(c) A projection created with cut-glass and candlelight.
(d) The nineteenth-century equivalent of a movie.
2. What do schizophrenics share with other psychotics, according to the author?
(a) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a lesser extent.
(b) They share the same symptoms, and the intensity of those symptoms is about equal.
(c) They have the same symptoms, but schizophrenics experience them to a greater extent.
(d) They don't share the same symptoms, but they share the same illness and brain dysfunction.
3. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
(a) A vision of Heaven.
(b) A vision of Hell.
(c) A phoenix of undulating rainbow colors.
(d) A Japanese landscape.
4. What does the author wonder about the neurological patterns produced during visionary experiences at the end of Appendix 1?
(a) How the experiencer's brain is affected by the experience.
(b) How these patterns can be reproduced at the user's will.
(c) What happens to these patterns when the experience is over.
(d) Why people are so fond of experiencing these patterns.
5. What results were produced when a researcher prodded parts of the brain with a fine electrode?
(a) The subjects recalled detailed and distant memories.
(b) The subjects were able to learn new languages and skills more efficiently.
(c) Various parts of the subjects' bodies twitched.
(d) The subjects experienced a variety of emotions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did "pyrotechny" begin in Europe, according to the author?
2. From whence does the author believe visionary experiences originate?
3. What does the author specifically state in Appendix 6 does NOT open the doors of heaven, hell, and limbo?
4. What is the political purpose of regalia and pageantry, according to the author?
5. According to the author, what is the most important effect of the first technique mentioned in Appendix 1?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)