|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2: Appendix 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the drawback to the "visionary arts" mentioned in Appendix 3?
(a) They require a great deal of time, effort and expense to put on.
(b) They are ephemeral, and earlier masterpieces have been lost to us.
(c) They can only be experienced in large groups.
(d) They are experienced differently by each individual, so no one understands how another experiences them.
2. What does the author say about vision-inducing devices and effects at the beginning of Appendix 3?
(a) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in fine arts.
(b) They have played a greater role in religion than in fine art.
(c) They have played a greater role in fine art than in popular entertainment.
(d) They have played a greater role in popular entertainment than in religion.
3. Which is NOT a type of progress the author mentions at the end of Appendix 6?
4. The author states in Appendix 3 that the cinematographic art of the distorted documentary seems to presage the end of what?
(a) Traditional documentary.
(b) Non-representational painting.
5. What happened to "pyrotechny" after the fall of Rome?
(a) It returned to being used exclusively for military purposes.
(b) Bigger and brighter displays were invented.
(c) It became used only in religious and national ceremonies.
(d) The technology was lost, and development had to begin from scratch.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what did one subject see while under the effects of mescalin and the second technique described in Appendix 1?
2. What is the difference between the two techniques the author describes in Appendix 1?
3. Upon what evidence does the author base his comparison of a schizophrenic's experiences?
4. A mental state similar to that of schizophrenia can be induced by administering what drug?
5. What affects one's ability to have visionary experiences, according to the author, if one is using the first method mentioned in Appendix 1?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)